Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Oak Cliff Progressing

DPatel304

Re: Oak Cliff Progressing

Postby DPatel304 » 06 Sep 2019 15:09

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:There's also the very real possibility that old plans to replace the North Oak Cliff Branch Library will be thrown in the trash and start over. I read somewhere about a new task force set up to figure out if the new library should include other uses like housing, retail, green space, etc., which will add to the momentum of new construction reaching Jefferson Blvd block by block.

The 21st century Library should be more than just a place for books. I'd like the city to add more computing/ internet resources and other city programs within libraries. The idea of adding housing is certainly, at the very least, interesting

I really love the new Library in Downtown Austin. I didn't really follow the development of the library, but apparently it took way longer than expected and cost a ton of money, so I'm not sure if I'd jump on the idea of Dallas doing the same, but I do think it's a beautiful addition to their city.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Sep 2019 11:18

I've always been a big proponent that Libraries should be merged with community center resources. They are usually two separate departments in the city since rec centers are attached to parks but I think there is room for the library system to look at shuffling the cards a bit more and adding community space that has more than sedentary uses. Ultimately Rec Centers and libraries will probably fully merge. Community lounge space with wifi, light refreshments, education programing, reading time, etc.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 22 Nov 2019 12:55

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2019/11/small-brewpub-will-close-in-december/

As we ring in a holiday season, the Bishop Arts craft brew haven Small Brewpub will be both celebrating its five year anniversary and shuttering on December 7.

The brewery on Jefferson Avenue, founded by owners Daniel Bowman, Aaron Garcia, and Joshua Dawn—later joined by Benj Pocta and Primo King—had its ups and downs. They decided not to renew their lease.

Another closing on Jefferson Avenue, after Mesa shut down early this year (I think?). I'll be curious to see what happens to Jefferson Avenue, especially with Exxir creeping southward and the development of the deck park to the east. Would be cool if a streetcar or trolley went by Bishop, to Jefferson, then on to the deck/park to the zoo.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 27 Nov 2019 12:02

Anyone have any idea when they will start work on the the "3 hole punch" railroad underpass between Beckley and Sylvan? I thought it was supposed to start this fall? With all the new town homes/apartments being built along W Main / Commerce/ Singleton the roads are getting annoyingly busy to go north south.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 Jan 2020 22:20

Polar Bear Ashburns building is on fire and burning to the ground.

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 10.20.02 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 16 Jan 2020 23:33

lakewoodhobo wrote:Polar Bear Ashburns building is on fire and burning to the ground.

That’s the second or third building to burn down on that block in the last few years.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 17 Jan 2020 00:13

lakewoodhobo wrote:Polar Bear Ashburns building is on fire and burning to the ground.

Thank God.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 Jan 2020 07:35

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

Thank God.

Yeah it’s been a dump for years, but only because the owners let it get that way. If you or I owned a house and let it rot like that, we would be up to our eyeballs in code violation notices.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 17 Jan 2020 07:52

lakewoodhobo wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

Thank God.

Yeah it’s been a dump for years, but only because the owners let it get that way. If you or I owned a house and let it rot like that, we would be up to our eyeballs in code violation notices.

I live literally 2 min away from there. I saw the commotion as I passed Colorado last night but failed to realize it was this building.

Personally, I never had any emotional attachment to this structure as some did. For my entire life, there's only been a few random small businesses that have been in the building. The last couple of years, the building has been screaming "...kill me...". I never liked the design of the build too. So I'm okay with it going to smoke...

In my opinion something better deserves to on that pad site. I'd be totally ok, with even a small 1 story retail site there for a dry cleaners there.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Jan 2020 10:46

Was this site a part of what was rumored to be desired by Sprouts?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 18 Jan 2020 19:38

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Was this site a part of what was rumored to be desired by Sprouts?

That's the one, but I suppose that deal fell through. Found this photo of the damage and I'm surprised it wasn't worse.