Grocery Stores: news/development

jrd1964

Grocery Stores: news/development

Postby jrd1964 » 19 Oct 2016 09:22

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/reta ... ry-service

Tom Thumb is going to offer delivery; the truck pictured also says 'Now partnering with Albertsons', so it sounds like items from both stores will be offered for delivery. And no, the truck doesn't have a Peapod logo on it this time ;) .

Tnexster

Re: Grocery Stores: news/development

Postby Tnexster » 29 Nov 2016 14:09

H-E-B will open two more Central Market stores in Dallas

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/reta ... res-dallas

The San Antonio-based grocer said Tuesday that it will open two more Central Market stores in Dallas: at Midway Road and W. Northwest Highway in Dallas and a second in Uptown at McKinney and Lemmon Ave.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 29 Nov 2016 14:26

Well, shucks. I was hoping the Uptown location would be an H-E-B. Curiously, no details about completely redeveloping the plot... I hope they don't simply gut and re-brand the existing building.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 29 Nov 2016 14:42

Truth be told, the Uptown location is probably a better match with Central Market brand than H-E-B. The question is....will they gut it an go for instant humongous sales, or will they think long term and redevelop? My initial thought would be, why wait, after all they are grocers, not real estate developers.

What will this do to the city block on Lemmon originally eyed by HEB/CM become? I parked near there the other day. This is a HUGE piece of land which most likely has height restrictions due to Love vicinity. Mid-rise multifamily with retail base?

dallasite24

Postby dallasite24 » 01 Dec 2016 10:51

When the uptown store was closing, an employee there told me that HEB had also purchased the 2 buildings behind the grocery store - the Manny's and Pancake House buildings. It's not showing up on DCAD, but sometimes they are a little slow. Has anyone else heard this? If so, that would obviously indicate that they planned to do a large scale redevelopment. Or it could have just been a misinformed employee...

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 Dec 2016 12:43

dallasite24 wrote:When the uptown store was closing, an employee there told me that HEB had also purchased the 2 buildings behind the grocery store - the Manny's and Pancake House buildings. It's not showing up on DCAD, but sometimes they are a little slow. Has anyone else heard this? If so, that would obviously indicate that they planned to do a large scale redevelopment. Or it could have just been a misinformed employee...

That would be fantastic news. We'll know for sure when DCAD updates the Albertson's site. Should show up as "OGM GROUP LLC."

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 01 Dec 2016 12:53

I fear they will just re-do the store and move in. Can't say i blame them but I sure would love to at least see them front the store on McKinny to improve the continuity of the pedestrian connection to West Village. That's probably the best we can hope for...

if they are really far sighted then perhaps they would construct the store so that apartments or more retail could be stacked on top and include at least one level of parking below.

I could also see them stacking the beer/Wine, prepared food and cafe on a second level. Doing some underground parking along with a reduced ground level parking lot and then selling off part of the remaining lot to be redeveloped. I am sure they know that just the presence of CM on the lot would make the land more valuable and let developer take the risk of figuring out how to make money from it.

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 01 Dec 2016 13:10

So the below article is from about a year ago... I wonder what it means now that an actual Central Market will be located just up the road. I heard several months back that Manny's was rumored to be moving to the newly constructed "house" restaurant across from 18th & Vine, so the employee may have been correct.

I really hope that this gets developed into a mixed-use block. It is a good sign that that in the recent announcement, they said they are evaluating their options and no date has been set for the Uptown location. Whatever they do there, I am sure they will aim it to be a flagship/ premier Dallas area store and I am sure they have paid close attention to Whole Foods in Uptown. The simple fact that Kroger came back to the table for mixed-use across the highway and that Sam's was shot down I think bodes well for this location and for the Kroger redo on Cedar Springs. I really am keeping my fingers crossed that this turns out to be an excellent development. That site is simply too valuable to do not do it justice and I am sure that it alone was really what H-E-B was after and the second site that already has a targeted opening was just a good bonus.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/blog/ ... ntral.html

As an update, a fence went around the last hold out (the shoe repair shop) in the last week for what was to be an Urban Central Market. I'm really curious to see how this pans out with these two locations.

Further, Tom Thumb Signage went up at the old Fresh Market space, but I'm not sure if it is open yet.

Lastly, I'm not sure what happened to the Trader Joe's plans (at least rumored) for part of the Office Depot site on Oak Lawn next to the Melrose.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Dec 2016 14:27

What it takes to attract a grocer to southern Dallas — or anywhere

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/reta ... act-grocer

In July, the city of Dallas offered at least $3 million to any grocery store willing to open a store in "a southern Dallas food desert." No one stepped forward.

The lack of response to the city's offer isn't a surprise to the retail industry.

"Margins are so tight and thin in the grocery business, even $3 million would be chewed through pretty fast," said Tim White, senior vice president at Buxton, a Fort Worth-based customer analytics company that helps retailers find markets for their stores.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 19 Feb 2017 14:49

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/busin ... 14204.html

Looks like Walmart is trying again with another small format store offering. This time, it's more a convenience store size than that of a small neighborhood market, as before. A Walmart convenience store is open for a tryout in Crowley, south of Fort Worth. It almost looks like the ones Albertsons had in their grocery store parking lots several years ago. Besides the Crowley location, there is one in Rogers, AR; also 2 others (1 each in Alabama and Colorado) are being tried out that combine gas/convenience with online order pick-up.

vman

Postby vman » 20 Feb 2017 07:23

jrd1964 wrote:http://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article133714204.html

Looks like Walmart is trying again with another small format store offering. This time, it's more a convenience store size than that of a small neighborhood market, as before. A Walmart convenience store is open for a tryout in Crowley, south of Fort Worth. It almost looks like the ones Albertsons had in their grocery store parking lots several years ago. Besides the Crowley location, there is one in Rogers, AR; also 2 others (1 each in Alabama and Colorado) are being tried out that combine gas/convenience with online order pick-up.

I stopped to get gas and the new Walmart on Midway/635 a few months ago, and I think there is a convenience store concept located there. I didn't go inside, but it looked pretty much like a 7-11 with the Walmart Logo on it.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 24 Jun 2017 08:40

Here are the latest market rankings for DFW-area grocers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 29 Aug 2017 20:44

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... share.html

Article about Aldi's growth/renovation plans here; they have 63 stores locally with 8.22% share of the market. They have 3 stores opening this year: Allen and Fort Worth locations previously, and 1 in Denton next month.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 21 Sep 2017 16:05

Lidl has bought land in Colleyville:
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... re-by.html

The store is planned to open in 2019. Elsewhere, Lidl has bought land in Dallas, Fort Worth (Golden Triangle/N. Beach, Basswood/Blue Mound), Frisco, Grand Prairie, Little Elm, Mansfield, McKinney, North Richland Hills, and Wylie.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 27 Sep 2017 23:17

Update to the Lidl news, the DBJ has this:
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... 5D=6088419

DFW-area store sites:
Alma/Exchange Pkwy., Allen
Azle Ave./Paul Meador Rd., Azle
Blvd. 26/Cheek-Sparger, Colleyville
Clark/Wheatland, Dallas
N. Beach/Golden Triangle, Fort Worth
Preston/Hickory, Frisco
Arapaho/Shiloh, Garland
Lake Ridge/Camp Wisdom, Grand Prairie
N. Beach/Western Center, Haltom City
FM 423/Little Elm Pkwy., Little Elm
TX 360/Broad St., Mansfield
Custer/Virginia Pkwy., McKinney
Davis/N. Tarrant Pkwy., North Richland Hills
Goliad/Quail Run, Rockwall
TX 66/Richmond, Rowlett
TX 78/Woodbridge, Sachse
FM 544/Regency, Wylie

Elsewhere in TX:
Bryan, Cypress, Friendswood, Katy, League City, Pasadena, Pearland, San Antonio (2), Spring, Tomball, Tyler

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 17 Nov 2017 09:06

Albertsons has bought into El Rancho stores, and will expand them to other cities

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... pen-stores

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 28 Nov 2017 14:47

Royal Blue Grocery has confirmed locations at BOTH Trammel Crow Center and The Merc! Great news for downtown residents and workers!
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... e-grocery/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Nov 2017 14:51

Wow, what a surprise, this is awesome news!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Nov 2017 15:15

Haha, the forum strikes again! Someone posted here last week that Royal Blue had 2 locations in the works. Kudos to the person who mentioned it!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Nov 2017 21:08

Great news for Ross, hope this somehow leads to more residential. Too bad the residential tower across the street is delayed.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 29 Nov 2017 10:35

Tnexster wrote:Great news for Ross, hope this somehow leads to more residential. Too bad the residential tower across the street is delayed.

I wonder if this will be the site of a third Skyhouse, but frankly I'd much rather see the Atelier break ground. Between that, this hotel and the Hall Arts hotel & residences we should be seeing a lot more foot traffic on Ross.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Dec 2017 12:10

I never thought about a third Skyhouse going in on this spot, I guess it might make sense to do one here and its in the middle of downtown which would be awesome plus parking will already be there.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 03 Dec 2017 12:35

Skyhouse would do well downtown.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 04 Dec 2017 16:39

I’ve always thought that Target’s first urban location would be in Uptown or Downtown, not Preston Center.

Target to open its first small-concept store in Dallas-Fort Worth

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... fort-worth

The 54.700-square-foot store will open in July on the west side of the shopping center in the Pavillion building at Westchester Drive and Berkshire Lane.

The Preston Center store will sell beer and wine and serve as a pickup point for online, said Mark Schindele, senior vice president properties at Target. Online orders are usually ready in an hour, Target said.
Merchandise will be tailored to the area, Target said. Groceries will be focused on fresh produce and grab-and-go items, snacks and meal solutions. The store will stock smaller selections of home décor, beauty, apparel and accessories, some consumer electronic, toys and sporting goods. The store will also have a Starbucks.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 04 Dec 2017 16:51

This is a very much a suburban location.
What this tells me is that Target really just wants to start rolling out smaller footprint stores. However, they probably want big box parking ratios and locales.

I'm guessing Uptown was ruled since City Place is right across the hwy.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 05 Dec 2017 09:03

Very weird choice for their first "urban" DFW store, considering it is in a suburban location and most customers will be arriving in Range Rovers, Escalades, and Suburbans. I hope they do well, or else we may not see Target try this format in a neighborhood that could actually use it like Downtown, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Victory Park, Oak Cliff....

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Dec 2017 09:58

We do know that HEB has two plots locked up near each other for a Central Market store, West Village and Lemmon and Oak Lawn. Maybe Target would want the land they bought on Lemmon/OakLawn since HEB seems more likely to build at the West Village location. I can not imagine HEB would build two of their smaller stores so close by.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 05 Dec 2017 14:13

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I'm guessing Uptown was ruled since City Place is right across the hwy.

I've heard Philip Kingston say that Target is interested in replacing the Cityplace store with an urban concept, but that's of course contingent on the property owner razing that entire shopping center. Maybe it'll happen.

Oak Cliff could really use this concept too.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 18 Dec 2017 13:08

Another one for the H-E-B fans.... a location is coming to Hudson Oaks, between Weatherford and Fort Worth.

Nothing new from the spokesperson about the upcoming Central Market locations, nor any possible closer-to-DFW H-E-B stores.

skeets

Postby skeets » 19 Feb 2018 12:06

Work has finally started on the Albertsons/SunFresh site at Midway and Northwest Hwy.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 22 Feb 2018 14:36

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ft-of.html

Cerberus, the private equity firm that owns Albertsons and Safeway, has announced the acquisition of the rest of Rite Aid*.

[* -- In the last couple of years, Walgreens had announced they wanted to buy out Rite Aid. Eventually the Feds seemed to sour on the deal, so Walgreens instead decided to buy some of the Rite Aid locations. What remained of the company and the stores would form a smaller Rite Aid. This portion, the part that Walgreens didn't acquire, is the object of the announced bid by Cerberus.]

The Cerberus plan calls for not only the acquisition of the remaining Rite Aid locations (none of which are in north TX), but also the renaming of many of the pharmacies in grocers that Cerberus has. No specific chains or locations were listed in the article.

It will be interesting to see if any of the local Cerberus chains (Albertsons, Tom Thumb, Market Street) will see their pharmacies adopt the Rite Aid naming. If so, it will be the first appearance by the brand in north TX.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 23 Feb 2018 14:57

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... g-rite-aid

DMN's take on the Rite Aid deal. Looks like Maria is reporting all local pharmacies at Albertsons/Tom Thumb/Market Street will adopt the Rite Aid branding.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 23 Feb 2018 15:23

jrd1964 wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2018/02/20/two-things-texas-shoppers-gain-albertsons-buying-rite-aid

DMN's take on the Rite Aid deal. Looks like Maria is reporting all local pharmacies at Albertsons/Tom Thumb/Market Street will adopt the Rite Aid branding.
I wonder will the name be cobranded as Tom Thumb-Rite Aid/Albertsons-Rite Aid like Jewel-Osco or will it keep its current name...just replacing the pharmacy exterior signage.

At one point, Tom Thumb was known as Tom Thumb-Page when the original owners bought out Page Drugs and added them to their stores.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 23 Feb 2018 16:52

I'm guessing it'll be like when Target sold their pharmacies to CVS a bit ago. There is signage for both in and out of the store, but they didn't do the hyphenated Target-CVS thing in ads or on the building.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 27 Mar 2018 01:06

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... us-grocers

The parent company of a grocery chain called El Super with locations out west is acquiring Fiesta. The article didn't say if the 2 names would be combined. Not long ago, Fiesta had acquired many of the remaining Minyard stores here, but at least one of the acquired stores (Ferguson/Highland) has since closed. The article did mention that there was more competition from other Hispanic-oriented chains as well as mainstream chains that have stores here.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 27 Mar 2018 08:33

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... latin.html

According to the DBJ, the Fiesta name will stay after the acquisition.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 26 May 2018 16:15

According to a study, it looks like the online grocery tug-of-war between Amazon & Walmart is going Walmart's way for now.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 06 Jun 2018 16:54

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Jun 2018 09:43

Why would Tom Thumb open a convenience store just east of downtown Dallas?

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... own-dallas

Tom Thumb is staking out some turf just east of downtown Dallas while it waits for one of its supermarkets to get built.

The longtime Dallas grocery brand is opening a convenience store -- its first -- on the southwest corner of Live Oak and Texas Streets.

The 2,500-square-foot store, about the size of a 7-Eleven, is planning to open June 20 with six gasoline pumps out front and some expected quick-stop basics like coffee, Freal milkshake and smoothie machine and an ICEE maker. The store will also sell fresh items from a nearby Tom Thumb supermarket: sandwiches, salads, cut fruit and hot foods ready to take home.

It's across the street from "The Gabriella," a 10-story apartment building being built by North Carolina-based Greystar Real Estate Partners, which will have a Tom Thumb supermarket on the street level.

But it won't be ready until late 2019.

"We wanted to get our convenience store open as soon as possible to begin serving this growing area," said a spokeswoman for Tom Thumb, which was part of Safeway until it was purchased in 2015 by Albertsons LLC.

Several Tom Thumb stores have pumps in the parking lot, but the supermarket coming to the apartment high-rise will have an underground garage parking. So instead, the Express store was built with pumps across the street. It will be open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., but its pay-at-the-pumps will be open 24 hours.

The apartment building, which will be just a block from the Deep Ellum DART train stop, is bringing some Uptown Dallas vibe to the East Dallas streets. The Express store and the full service Tom Thumb when its completed will be close to the Baylor Hospital complex and new developments planned on the eastern edge of downtown.

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 12 Jun 2018 10:16

I wonder if Kroger, who owns its own chain of convenience stores called "Tom Thumb" in Florida and Alabama, will try to block Safeway using the name Tom Thumb for this (and possibly other) convenience store(s).

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 12 Jun 2018 10:21

trueicon wrote:I wonder if Kroger, who owns its own chain of convenience stores called "Tom Thumb" in Florida and Alabama, will try to block Safeway using the name Tom Thumb for this (and possibly other) convenience store(s).

Wow, thanks for this tidbit of information! Growing up in “Lower Alabama,” I presumed the Tom Thumb gas stations there were related to the Tom Thumb grocery stores here!

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Jun 2018 10:30

trueicon wrote:I wonder if Kroger, who owns its own chain of convenience stores called "Tom Thumb" in Florida and Alabama, will try to block Safeway using the name Tom Thumb for this (and possibly other) convenience store(s).
Kroger recently sold all of its convenience stores. But I doubt it...the Tom Thumb grocery chain existed before The Tom Thumb convenience stores.
Last edited by dallaz on 12 Jun 2018 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

muncien

Postby muncien » 12 Jun 2018 10:41

I have made countless stops at those little Tom Thumb stores during my visits along the Gulf Coast. There is something to be said for 'convenience', and I always thought a similar concept would thrive in urban areas... even if it means you pay $8 for a box of pop tarts.

I can't stand the idea of more gas pumps in the urban areas, but I'm all for the convenience store concept.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Jun 2018 11:41

dallaz wrote:Why would Tom Thumb open a convenience store just east of downtown Dallas?

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... own-dallas

They got the headline wrong, this is not a convenience store, it's a (new) corner grocery story. What's old is new again. While the race to build the biggest store with every possible item continues to serve habitat conversion from rural to exrub to suburb, we now have vast, sprawling Sunbelt suburban conglomeration-cities rebooting the walkable congested urban communities. Tom Thumb will be smart to tailor the stock of each store according to the neighborhood and keep prices reasonable. HEB has an open target with city corner groceries. Walmart will likely ruin the channel if it makes a run at it.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Jun 2018 12:55

^^^A Tom Thumb Express could work in Downtown, Bishop Arts, etc. Smaller format stores in urban areas, are extremely convenient for people who are on the go.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 12 Jun 2018 13:15

Inspired by Kroger's convenience store venture, I am pleased to announced that I will soon be opening a chain of convenience stores here in Dallas called.....Walmart

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 12 Jun 2018 13:40

Interestingly, there is yet another chain of Tom Thumb convenience stores besides the ones formerly owned by Kroger. A family-owned chain in South Florida, Ft Lauderdale to Key West.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Jun 2018 13:46

Tucy wrote:Interestingly, there is yet another chain of Tom Thumb convenience stores besides the ones formerly owned by Kroger. A family-owned chain in South Florida, Ft Lauderdale to Key West.

Wow. I guess the Tom Thumb name will likely never expand outside of Texas. Probably due to not trying confuse it with other chains with the same name.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 13 Jun 2018 09:58

I could see them doing this urban store concept in Dallas:

http://www.startribune.com/aldi-will-op ... 484601671/

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 13 Jun 2018 10:19

Hannibal Lecter wrote:I could see them doing this urban store concept in Dallas:

http://www.startribune.com/aldi-will-op ... 484601671/

Nice! It's a perfect fit seeing as Aldi stores are designed to be smaller and more efficient. They are almost like big, cheap bodegas. I hope that they go big with urban format stores in Dallas and do one Downtown, Oak Lawn, Uptown, Trinity Groves, and maybe another East Dallas store closer to Lower Greenville.