Downtown pocket plazas

lakewoodhobo

Downtown pocket plazas

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 Jan 2017 13:37

Didn't want to start a thread just for this, but thought I'd group it with the other pocket parks like San Jacinto, Reunion and original 1968 Pacific Plaza.

Last year there was a plan to upgrade the pocket park called Federal Plaza, at St Paul and Federal, as part of an economic development deal with Hartford Building. The plan was to xeriscape and build some sort of deck and maybe some lighting for an amount "not to exceed $231,000." Anyway, I hope this is still a work in progress and not the finished result.

FederalPlaza.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 11.50.18 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Re: Downtown pocket plazas

Postby dfwcre8tive » 10 Jan 2017 14:06

So they removed all the grass and filled in the center with concrete? I wouldn't call that an improvement, although it probably will make the needles and glass easier to spot (a common problem when I lived across the street).

I was hoping it would be incorporated into new development of the adjacent parking lot, but with that turning into another parking garage there will be little use for this pocket park in the future.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 Jan 2017 14:18

^Agreed. If they're adding string lights and seating then, sure, maybe it's an improvement (with a big asterisk). There's also a new structure that I assume is for storage. Seriously doubt this work cost anywhere close to $230k.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 10 Jan 2017 19:33

Who designs this stuff? I don't understand what you're supposed to do here. SMH

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 12 Jan 2017 02:06

mdg109 wrote:Who designs this stuff? I don't understand what you're supposed to do here. SMH

Probably whoever secured the contract and found a way to keep the rest.

Honestly, this 'Park' would be better off razed and fenced off...

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 12 Jan 2017 11:52

ContriveDallasite wrote:
mdg109 wrote:Who designs this stuff? I don't understand what you're supposed to do here. SMH

Probably whoever secured the contract and found a way to keep the rest.

Honestly, this 'Park' would be better off razed and fenced off...

Some of these pocket parks should be considered surplus property and sold to adjacent owners. This one was the result of Federal Street being re-aligned. There was never any strategy or plan for the "park", similar to the grassy mound at St Paul/San Jacinto. At least the one at Patterson/Akard is now being utilized with a school playground.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 12 Jan 2017 12:37

dfwcre8tive wrote: ...similar to the grassy mound at St Paul/San Jacinto.

The grassy mound I believe is called San Jacinto Plaza, and it's just begging to become a downtown LGBT monument similar to the one in Oak Lawn, except right there in front of First Baptist.

http://www.dallasparks.org/Facilities/F ... -Plaza-652

art_suckz

Postby art_suckz » 12 Jan 2017 15:16

lakewoodhobo wrote:

The grassy mound I believe is called San Jacinto Plaza, and it's just begging to become a downtown LGBT monument similar to the one in Oak Lawn, except right there in front of First Baptist.

As long as it is equipped with unisex bathrooms.
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 12 Jan 2017 16:41

art_suckz wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:

As long as it is equipped with unisex bathrooms.

And a fountain with louder music and brighter lights.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Nov 2017 10:23

The new sign is a bit of overkill, especially when you have no idea what this MMA ring in the center is supposed to be, but there it is.

IMG_2301.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 28 Nov 2017 12:55

lakewoodhobo wrote:The new sign is a bit of overkill, especially when you have no idea what this MMA ring in the center is supposed to be, but there it is.

IMG_2301.jpg

Overkill and ugly. Aluminum is easy to maintain and keep clean, but if it has to be that big at least include some information on why the plaza is there in the first place. Also I wish all the public parks downtown would use consistent fonts/branding so they won't look dated after a few years, but that's just me.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 15 May 2018 15:52

IMG_8286.jpg
IMG_8284.jpg

I've always assumed that Jose Luis Sanchez's "Astral Flower" sculpture in the original Pacific Plaza was not very well received, but I didn't know for sure until I was researching another topic. No need to read the entire thing, but the headline says it all. To me it looks like buildings coming out of a pop-up book.

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 3.48.22 PM.jpg

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 16 May 2018 15:36

lakewoodhobo wrote:IMG_8286.jpg IMG_8284.jpg

I've always assumed that Jose Luis Sanchez's "Astral Flower" sculpture in the original Pacific Plaza was not very well received, but I didn't know for sure until I was researching another topic. No need to read the entire thing, but the headline says it all. To me it looks like buildings coming out of a pop-up book.

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 3.48.22 PM.jpg

This was also around the same time "Youth in the Hands of God" (on the Dallas Public Library) had to add pants on the boy, and Bertoia's sculpture was considered a piece of junk. Modern art in general wasn't well received.

I do wish the fountain in that plaza still operated, but there's little to no foot traffic to appreciate it.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Jun 2018 12:37

Interesting story, don't think I ever noticed it before today. Maybe there will be a reason to turn that fountain back on in the future. Lots of empty parking lots there waiting for something better.