Deep Ellum 1.0

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 Sep 2017 10:20

muncien wrote:
gshelton91 wrote:Went to Harlowe this past Saturday night... Food is very interesting just had some appetizers french fries were amazing. The build out of the space is really amazing... first class design and materials. Would love to see this done with more of Deep Ellum it could really ground the neighborhood for the future.

I love a lot of the new businesses in Deep Ellum but they were more like DIY network shows this is more like "This old House"

No doubt... I went there on Friday night. Fantastic place(s). The burger and lobster roll were excellent. This little series of buildings has quite the potential. DE was packed, but I was a little surprised this particular area didn't have more activity. I did notice that the parking situation was a bit problematic. The Harlowe rooftop gave a good perspective of this particular problem, as you could see cars darting in and out of lot after lot with nowhere to go. Curious what direction this will go in the future.

Based on the nature of Deep Ellum, it's probably better that folks are encouraged to find other means of transportation.

This is purely based on anecdotal observation.. but I see a lot of Uber and Lyft cars just driving around the area. I think that probably exacerbates the traffic situation on the weekends.

willyk

Postby willyk » 18 Sep 2017 18:37

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Whatever happened to hostel that was coming? That's something that is severely lacking in Dallas.

I believe that construction has started in that building. I hope it is for the hostel--what a cool place to stay that would be.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 18 Sep 2017 21:57

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Whatever happened to hostel that was coming? That's something that is severely lacking in Dallas.

It's under construction. They made a major addition to the rear of the existing building.

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 22 Sep 2017 08:50

Perhaps it is just because i go down there a lot or know the city better than someone from Plano would but I rarely have an issue parking. I was a bit worried about it last Saturday night when we were there but a spot on the street near Local opened up before we were even really looking for a space.

Of course that's not always the case... but it is rare that i really can't find a place to park. Still i would love to see a parking garage built in this area... I think it would add to the long term stability. It also just seems like an easy win. Build the garage partly with Improvement Distract funds and charge for cars to finish paying it off. This would free up the current parking lots to get buildings that would greatly increase their value -- and hence tax revenue to the city.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Sep 2017 09:14

No reason not to build a public garage, big one too. Locals are always going to consider parking easier, I know when I lived in the area even on the busiest night and we had to park an 'extra block' away, parking wasn't that big a deal. Like gshelton91 said, occasional visitors will not have the familiarity to find that almost-as-good parking; an easily identified, convenient public garage will eventually help pay for stuff like sidewalk upkeep or trash pick-up, whatever....

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 22 Sep 2017 22:47

tamtagon wrote:No reason not to build a public garage, big one too. Locals are always going to consider parking easier, I know when I lived in the area even on the busiest night and we had to park an 'extra block' away, parking wasn't that big a deal. Like gshelton91 said, occasional visitors will not have the familiarity to find that almost-as-good parking; an easily identified, convenient public garage will eventually help pay for stuff like sidewalk upkeep or trash pick-up, whatever....

The sidewalks are essentially paid off. They were part of the Deep Ellum improvements plan that were passed years ago by the city in bond package.

Trash pick up is paid by our taxes.

And the majority of lots are privately owned; they'll be developed when the owners want them to be. Building a city owned garage does nothing. You're incurring more debt to pay off debt? No. People will go and are going to deep ellum despite having a hard time finding parking. Why build a garage? To make it more convenient to park? Get over it. Waste of money.

They should look into expanding the side walks improvements not building a garage.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 24 Sep 2017 16:55

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:The sidewalks are essentially paid off. They were part of the Deep Ellum improvements plan that were passed years ago by the city in bond package.

I guess you're talking about the recent Elm Street re-do. Yes, there's new concrete but functionally the too-narrow sidewalks were made even narrower. Even the contractor working on the Commerce Street re-do has publically stated Elm Street is a great example of how not to do things. Outside of Elm Street the sidewalks are pretty much among the worst in Dallas.

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Trash pick up is paid by our taxes.

Unless you own property in Deep Ellum the trash pick is not paid out of your taxes. We have to pay a PID tax to get what used to be standard city services, like trash pick-up and street cleaning. I have to pay a couple hundred dollars per year in extra property taxes on my condo for these services. Plus we're now paying a fortune for private security and off-duty cops since the on-duty cops rarely even show up for 911 calls, and don't do anything when they do.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Sep 2017 11:33

Update at 10:30 a.m. Sept. 25, 2017: The Bomb Factory confirms it will partner with several Deep Ellum venues to host Oaktopia 2017, a music festival that once took place in Denton. The newly moved fest will take place Nov. 17 through 19 and headliners are 21 Savage, Phantogram, strfkr and more.

https://www.guidelive.com/music/2017/03 ... deep-ellum

I've never been to this festival, but this could certainly be cool for Deep Ellum. I've always felt Dallas is really lagging behind when it comes to events like these, so I'd really like to see a music festival take off in Deep Ellum. The timing seems good as well, as it isn't too close to SXSW and also not terribly close to ACL either.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 23 Oct 2017 12:18

I was walking by the new bar/restaurant, Bottled Blond, which opened in Deep Ellum and it was very busy! It seems isolated now but I'm sure things will open around it soon.

With that said, I saw the building next door had a for lease sign that was taken down and people were moving out. There were no cars in the parking lot they have. Does anyone know whats going in there? Another bar/restaurant or retail? Deep Ellum is growing fast.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Oct 2017 15:12

dd_dweller wrote:I was walking by the new bar/restaurant, Bottled Blond, which opened in Deep Ellum and it was very busy! It seems isolated now but I'm sure things will open around it soon.

With that said, I saw the building next door had a for lease sign that was taken down and people were moving out. There were no cars in the parking lot they have. Does anyone know whats going in there? Another bar/restaurant or retail? Deep Ellum is growing fast.

Remember that Commerce-Swiss is now the preferred alignment for D2, which means there will be a wye here moving trains north and south after they resurface from the subway. This building, if it doesn't get condemned by eminent domain, will feel isolated for a very long time.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 31 Oct 2017 12:39

lakewoodhobo wrote:
dd_dweller wrote:I was walking by the new bar/restaurant, Bottled Blond, which opened in Deep Ellum and it was very busy! It seems isolated now but I'm sure things will open around it soon.

Remember that Commerce-Swiss is now the preferred alignment for D2, which means there will be a wye here moving trains north and south after they resurface from the subway. This building, if it doesn't get condemned by eminent domain, will feel isolated for a very long time.

I do recall that about D2.

I'm hearing that it'll either be new restaurant space or a new apartment building. Has anyone heard that as well? This side of Deep Ellum seems to be growing vertical.

Austin55

Postby Austin55 » 10 Nov 2017 16:47

IDK if right thread exactly but

Project Name: The Gabriella
Project Address: Bordered By Live Oak St, Texas
City: Dallas Zip: 75206 County: Dallas
Scope of Work: 370 unit residential building on top of a full service grocery store with parking garage and project amenities. NOTE: Drawings submitted for foundation permit only. Full building permit to be submitted approx. 1/19/18.
Building/Facility Name: The Gabriella
Tenant:
Owner: Gabriella Tower Llc
Design Firm: Meeks + Partners

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 10 Nov 2017 17:53

Nice find. Is this the Kroger that was proposed a while back or something else?

If I recall correctly there was to be a Kroger in downtown, not deep ellum.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... own-dallas

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 Nov 2017 18:09

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Nice find. Is this the Kroger that was proposed a while back or something else?

If I recall correctly there was to be a Kroger in downtown, not deep ellum.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... own-dallas

No, this sounds like the Tom Thumb that was at the base of phase two of Elan City Lights.

From June 2016: http://dallas.towers.net/2016/06/24/cit ... -district/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 10 Nov 2017 19:44

Glad to see this one is still in the works!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Nov 2017 17:07

So no bars planning to open in the area anytime soon?

I was in the area on Saturday for Oaktopia (music festival), and saw that Dots was absolutely packed (this was shortly after midnight). I didn't get a chance to check out Harlowe MXM, but I had heard from a friend that that place was also very busy. I shouldn't be too surprised, but I went to Harlowe a couples times shortly after it opened, and it was never extremely busy, but I suppose that's because it was brand new and people had not heard about it yet.

I don't even bother trying to go into most of the bars on Elm street, because I know a lot are going to be even worse.

As long as crime is kept under control, I'd say this is a good problem to have, but clearly there is demand for more bar space, yet there doesn't seem to be plans to open more bars. It would be cool to see the parking lot behind Green Room converted into an outdoor beer garden. It would take minimal effort, create a lot more 'bar space', and also maybe reduce some of the car traffic on Elm st.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 29 Nov 2017 09:44

Does anyone know why the site on live oak & Texas st is being cleared? At first I thought it was being cleaned up.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Nov 2017 10:10

I assume you are referring to the Tom Thumb/residential tower site. Maybe they are finally starting.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 29 Nov 2017 11:22

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I assume you are referring to the Tom Thumb/residential tower site. Maybe they are finally starting.

The sites across the street from that project.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Nov 2017 11:46

dd_dweller wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I assume you are referring to the Tom Thumb/residential tower site. Maybe they are finally starting.

The sites across the street from that project.

Of course, I have no information to build on here but it could be staging site for the Tom Thumb project. We will know if they drop a construction trailer on the site soon I guess or start dumping rocks for temporary paving for parking work vehicles.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 29 Nov 2017 13:37

Some info on The Gabriella here: http://dallas.towers.net/2017/11/29/urb ... ce=twitter

According to state architect records, Greystar’s building now has a name. Houston-based project architect Meeks+Partners reported the $135 million project as The Gabriella. That’s a 26 percent increase over the projected cost when this project was before the Plan Commission in June 2016. The report to the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation also states that construction on the foundation will begin this month. The architect added that the building permit for the structure will be submitted on approximately January 19, and the estimated completion date is April 2020.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 05 Dec 2017 09:07

Permit filed for The Gabriella and Tom Thumb

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -east-side

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Dec 2017 13:33

Dallas is on its way to becoming Bowling Central, with another new bowling restaurant concept coming to town. Called Punch Bowl Social, it's a Denver-based chain that has claimed a prized location in a long unoccupied space at the corner of Main Street and Good Latimer Freeway, where it will combine bowling alley, restaurant, and bar. According to a spokesperson, it'll open in mid-2018.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/enter ... eep-ellum/

I know a lot of people aren't a fan of these new tenants coming into Deep Ellum, but I'm enjoying the added activity in the area, and I think a bowling alley would be a good way to add some traffic throughout the week as well, instead of just Fri/Sat nights.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 11 Dec 2017 11:32

Deep Ellum is getting a high-rise with apartments and shopping

Construction will start in the next few weeks on an urban style mixed-use development in Dallas' popular Deep Ellum district.

The one-block project by North Carolina-based Crescent Communities will replace a strip of old industrial buildings at Canton Street and Malcolm X Boulevard just east of downtown.

The 7-story development will bring apartments and streetfront retail to an area that's seeing widespread new development.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... s-shopping

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 11 Dec 2017 12:47

I have to say the scale, the height and the look of this building is much more appropriate for Deep Ellum than the case building.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Dec 2017 13:42

Nice, this building seems to have appropriate style for the neighborhood but then again Roth42 worked with neighborhood leaders on the design so its no doubt its better than most.

eburress

Postby eburress » 11 Dec 2017 13:58

Yeah, what a great-looking project! It's really incredible, the transformation Deep Ellum has experienced over the last 10-15 years.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Dec 2017 14:19

The core of Deep Ellum will mostly stay intact while the larger sites around the peripheral will evolve into these kinds of projects. The warehouses that don't have much character or were replaced in more recent history will be perfect for these kinds of residential infill. I just hope they can also attract some homeownership as well as apartments. I would love to see some form of condos if the market is ripe for it.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Dec 2017 14:22

The next phase the city needs to consider is moving their service offices out of Deep Ellum. Currently, the city is sitting on some prime land for developing something as cool as an Amazon HQ2 with no historical structures to impede a developer from carving out a custom mixed Use project that ties in with the charm of Deep Ellum with Townhomes/Condos, office, apartments and more.

willyk

Postby willyk » 11 Dec 2017 23:19

I hope the guitar shaped sign gets built.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 12 Dec 2017 10:12

The reaction here is the exact opposite of the people already in the neighborhood. Right down to people thinking the guitar sign sucks. :-)

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Dec 2017 10:32

Get Fried, a New York-based restaurant that specializes in serving pretty much only french fries, will soon make its debut in Deep Ellum.

The restaurant will occupy a space at 2656 Main Street, where it will sling six different types of fries, including waffle, straight-cut, waffle, curly, funnel cake, and sweet potato. In addition to the French fries, Get Fried is also known for its riffs on Canadian poutine and cheese fries like the cheekily-named Rocky Balboa, topped with steak, cheese, onions, and peppers.

This is the chain’s first foray into Dallas, but other Texas locations have been announced in San Antonio, Austin, and Houston. Get Fried is expected to make its Dallas debut in early 2018. Stay tuned for an opening date.

https://dallas.eater.com/2017/12/12/167 ... ens-dallas

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Dec 2017 10:32

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Right down to people thinking the guitar sign sucks. :-)

It does look unoriginal IMO. An original neon sign design that said Canton or Deep Ellum probably would've been cooler. The guitar center logo is played out.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 12 Dec 2017 16:00

DMN architecture critic Mark Lamster on Novel Deep Ellum: "this is how you destroy a city"

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Dec 2017 16:51

Hannibal Lecter wrote:DMN architecture critic Mark Lamster on Novel Deep Ellum: "this is how you destroy a city"

I'd be interested to hear how he figures that. It seems to me that projects like this are how you reinvigorate a city.

muncien

Postby muncien » 13 Dec 2017 08:25

Hannibal Lecter wrote:DMN architecture critic Mark Lamster on Novel Deep Ellum: "this is how you destroy a city"

Oh Lawd.... Really? "Destroy a city"? Are you kidding me? Have a viewpoint and express your opinion, sure... But you kinda loose all credibility with a statement like that. What a drama queen...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 13 Dec 2017 09:55

Link?

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 13 Dec 2017 11:22

Tucy wrote:

Link?

I believe it was just a comment he posted on a re-tweet of the DMN article. To me, this seems like a reasonable use of that land. It's outside of the "busy" area of Deep Ellum, and adds both retail and residential with what appears on the surface to be consideration for walkability.

Perhaps Mark's frustration is more around the culmination of other businesses that have/are moving into Deep Ellum? I wasn't old enough to hang in the former heyday of Deep Ellum, but I think this tranformation has been great.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Dec 2017 12:48

I think its more of a scale conversation. If you read more of Mark Lamsters articles he notices how Dallas loves these massive redevelopment projects. The city built overnight. We were a suburb and the next moment we wanted to be known as an urban metropolis. A concept equal to a child who demands to be treated like an adult after one birthday.

You could use Fort Worth's Magnolia street as an example. They have been seeing steady growth there but the scale of it is much more appropriate to the existing neighborhood and is done with smaller companies and developers making a steady improvement on the neighborhood that promotes more than the Trammel Crows and Gables/Posts of the world. It is like what the Case Building has done where one moment you have one story buildings with one or two multistory historic loft buildings nearby and the next you have 22 stories of new construction thrown up without much consideration for scale. I get it demand is high but what keeps us from having the smaller projects that can make a better impact.

Mark Lamster seems to point out in some of his pieces is the question why does Dallas only do these large projects well? What is in our DNA, our city codes, our development culture that the smaller developers cannot also contribute to healthy growth that isn't so massive all at once. We see it with struggling BECK in Midtown these huge projects require a huge amount of capital and willpower to get them off the ground. We saw it in Victory where they misstepped as well. Not every revitalization project has to be on the scale of the West Village and 800 units of high-end apartments plopped down in a neighborhood so suddenly.

This new project is a rapid change and Uptowning of Deep Ellum because it is more of the same just with a different colored brick. How do you get the affordable stuff that a city lives and breathes on.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 13 Dec 2017 12:55

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 13 Dec 2017 13:08

eburress wrote:

I'd be interested to hear how he figures that. It seems to me that projects like this are how you reinvigorate a city.

His take (in my words): Replacing a significant portion (that's a BIG block) of an historical neighborhood with a generic, contextless, over-sized apartment block that could go just about anywhere.

At least the ugly Case Building went on a vacant site.

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 13 Dec 2017 15:05

Not a fan of the Case Building either. I actually like it, but not in this location.
I like the scale and height of the new development but wish it was 2 buildings with a pathway instead of one massive box.
Same as the Camden apartments by Victory or the new apartments next to west end. It seems these huge footprints do hinder pedestrian flow compared to creating a better grid.
Think of how welcoming the walkways through the Harlow development are to pedestrians.

eburress

Postby eburress » 13 Dec 2017 15:14

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
eburress wrote:

His take (in my words): Replacing a significant portion (that's a BIG block) of an historical neighborhood with a generic, contextless, over-sized apartment block that could go just about anywhere.

At least the ugly Case Building went on a vacant site.

Thanks for elaborating. Are the warehouses this is replacing significant in any way? I may be thinking about the wrong block but from what I recall, the structures this replaces are neither historic or notable in any way. But yeah, maybe it's more about the scale and/or his opinion that it's generic.

I personally don't find this generic at all. It seems to me to be pretty different in appearance than most other projects of its sort and very Deep Ellum-like in its industrial quirkiness.

eburress

Postby eburress » 13 Dec 2017 15:56

muncien wrote:

Oh Lawd.... Really? "Destroy a city"? Are you kidding me? Have a viewpoint and express your opinion, sure... But you kinda loose all credibility with a statement like that. What a drama queen...

For real. He's being a tad melodramatic.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 23 Dec 2017 13:21

maconahey wrote:Deep Ellum is getting a high-rise with apartments and shopping

Is 7 stories all it takes for a "high rise" these days?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Jan 2018 17:29

Deep Ellum Will Soon Have Its First Cidery
Next month, Deep Ellum will soon be home to its first bar dedicated solely to crisp, fizzy hard cider.

Trinity Cider is set to swing open its doors later this spring at 2656 Main Street, right next door to Pecan Lodge. A project of owner Bryan Meyer and head ciderist Jeremy Bridge, Trinity Cider will serve a menu of “sophisticated craft cider” with a variety of flavor profiles. According to Bridge, Trinity will focus mostly on “dry to semi-dry ciders” made with apple and pear, but more inventive options, like peach cider and barrel-aged tart cherry cider are also in the works.

Trinity Cider is expected to arrive in May. Stay tuned for an official opening date.

https://dallas.eater.com/2018/1/10/1687 ... pring-2018

I can see this being popular in Deep Ellum. Cider has been popular in England for decades now, so I think it's only a matter of time before it catches on here. The Bishop Arts Cidery seems to be a pretty big hit from what I understand.

The title of this article is a bit confusion though. It states it's a 'Cidery', but, based on the wording, it doesn't sound like any Cider is being produced, it's simply a bar that specializes only in Cider. I'm also a little surprised by them using "Trinity" in the name considering the part of town it's in. Overall, I can see this place being popular, and I can see Cider becoming pretty popular in the coming years.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 10 Jan 2018 17:59

Deep ellum needs an arcade.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jan 2018 09:08

DPatel304 wrote: I'm also a little surprised by them using "Trinity" in the name considering the part of town it's in. Overall, I can see this place being popular, and I can see Cider becoming pretty popular in the coming years.

Bishop Arts Cider is in the Design District. Lakewood Brewery is in Garland. Considering you need warehouse space the breweries and cider houses go where they can afford their operations. Most breweries so far seem to be located in the Design District because it has so many warehouses.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Jan 2018 09:21

It shows that, from a branding perspective at least, names like "Trinity", "Bishop" and "Deep Ellum" are emblematic of Dallas. I don't think "Uptown" or "Design District" have the same weight.

Waiting on a Pegasus Brewing Co. though.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Jan 2018 10:34

lakewoodhobo wrote:It shows that, from a branding perspective at least, names like "Trinity", "Bishop" and "Deep Ellum" are emblematic of Dallas. I don't think "Uptown" or "Design District" have the same weight.

Waiting on a Pegasus Brewing Co. though.

There's already something similar: Pegasus City Brewing. They're in the Design District

https://www.pegasuscitybrewery.com/