Oak Lawn

kingpin

Re: Oak Lawn

Postby kingpin » 13 Apr 2017 17:29

http://dallas.towers.net/2017/02/07/pri ... ice-tower/

Pritchard Associates Serve Coffee in Oak Lawn, with an Office Tower

The west end of Oak Lawn next to the North Dallas Tollway is getting a coffee shop, that will just happen to be attached to a new multi-story office building.

Located on an irregularly shaped quadrangle lot, the project site is a vacant lot bounded by Knight Street, Fairmount Street, and the North Dallas Tollway frontage road.

Pritchard Associates Inc., the developer, submitted this project in December 2015 and it took all of 2016 for the concept to wind its way through City Hall. Baldwin Associates represented the developer with the land use and zoning issues.

The site area is just under one acre. According to a Development Services Department report, Pritchard proposes a 45,000-square-foot office building that will include a 1,500-square-foot coffee shop that will face Knight Street at the corner of Fairmount.

This property is surrounded by multifamily and single family residential to the north and east, and multi-family and retail to the southeast. City officials commented that the project was compatible, since it creates a buffer between the residential and commercial; Fairmount is kind of the dividing line here.

The prior zoning limited height to 36 feet, but Pritchard asked for and received permission to go up to 85 feet.

“Due to the odd shape of the property and its adjacency to the tollway, staff supports the increase in height and proposed uses,” the city report said.

Most of the land will be occupied by surface parking and landscaping. The building footprint (lot coverage) was reported at 45 percent of the total.

Pritchard went the extra mile on a landscaping scheme. Working with SMR Landscape Architects Inc., the company is including metal fencing, a generous arrangement of trees, raised planters, and benches. The building setback is 10 feet all along Fairmount and Knight.

Boka Powell, the structure architects, describe a building that will feature cantilevered roof eves, balconies and canopies that may encroach up to five feet into the “front yard,” (that would be the set back along Knight).

According to state records, construction is estimated to begin in March and reach completion by April 2018, as a construction cost of about $7 million.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 13 Apr 2017 20:55

Wow.... it's troubling to see how a forward-thinking, pedestrian friendly development like this tower (and on a sleepy side street to boot) can take over a year to wind through city hall and planning, but a gross CVS or Starbucks with large surface parking lots in our most promising neighborhoods on our most promising streets can sail right through...... city hall needs a good house cleaning, top to bottom.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 13 Apr 2017 21:56

Matt777 wrote:Wow.... it's troubling to see how a forward-thinking, pedestrian friendly development like this tower (and on a sleepy side street to boot) can take over a year to wind through city hall and planning, but a gross CVS or Starbucks with large surface parking lots in our most promising neighborhoods on our most promising streets can sail right through...... city hall needs a good house cleaning, top to bottom.

Yep! The city gets all worried if something seems too dense, but let suburban crap go up all over. This is the opposite mindset we need running the city!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Apr 2017 10:06

This doesn't seem that bad to me, most office projects have some kind of parking space plus this is pushed right up against the tollway. Need to see more.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 14 Apr 2017 10:22

Tnexster wrote:This doesn't seem that bad to me, most office projects have some kind of parking space plus this is pushed right up against the tollway. Need to see more.

People aren't complaining about this one (other than people at City Hall). People are complaining about the proposed Starbucks drive-thru/giant parking lot at Oak Lawn and Congress described on the previous page of this thread (which City Hall is letting sail through).

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 15 Apr 2017 12:36

Matt777 wrote:People are complaining about the proposed Starbucks drive-thru/giant parking lot at Oak Lawn and Congress described on the previous page of this thread (which City Hall is letting sail through).

I'll wager a good amount of money that the number of people complaining is less than the number of people who will happily use that drive-thru every day. :-)

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 16 Apr 2017 13:54

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
Matt777 wrote:People are complaining about the proposed Starbucks drive-thru/giant parking lot at Oak Lawn and Congress described on the previous page of this thread (which City Hall is letting sail through).

I'll wager a good amount of money that the number of people complaining is less than the number of people who will happily use that drive-thru every day. :-)

Then those people should move to Frisco and they will be happy as clams.

dch526

Postby dch526 » 17 Apr 2017 08:34

Matt777 wrote:
Hannibal Lecter wrote:

Then those people should move to Frisco and they will be happy as clams.

Most likely, the majority of people who actually live within 1/2 mile of this Starbucks don't want the drive through. However, the ones who travel to and from uptown/downtown from the Park Cities and North Dallas will use it pretty regularly. That's what their focus is here, the commuter, not the neighborhood.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 20 Apr 2017 19:53

^ You mean because there are so many commuters from North Dallas passing through the intersection of Oak Lawn and Congress every day? Or because that's the only Starbucks for miles and miles? :)

As a side note, I used to lease/manage the center on the north corner of that intersection, so I am very familiar with the property and the neighborhood.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 21 Apr 2017 11:53

The Starbucks in my neighborhood doesn't have a drive-thru and it makes it just fine. Probably not the highest performing store in their portfolio, but they can survive without them.

dch526

Postby dch526 » 24 Apr 2017 12:55

Hannibal Lecter wrote:^ You mean because there are so many commuters from North Dallas passing through the intersection of Oak Lawn and Congress every day? Or because that's the only Starbucks for miles and miles? :)

As a side note, I used to lease/manage the center on the north corner of that intersection, so I am very familiar with the property and the neighborhood.

How many people do you think work in Uptown/Downtown that live North of these areas that don't use the highways to commute? I'm pretty sure Starbucks has a good idea ;)

Good to know but you do have to admit that the area near and around has had a lot of change even in the past couple of years. What was once a hard truth may be quickly falling out of reality.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 09 May 2017 00:20

^ I think my point got lost in the satire -- I totally agree Starbucks the right idea.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 16 May 2017 14:55

Found this article about what's replacing Winslow's Wine cafe on the Cedar Springs strip.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... r-springs/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 16 May 2017 15:14

Cool deal. There was also news of a bit of a re-do of this restaurant:
D Magazine reports that Quesa owners Fransisco and Patricia Cabrera have teamed up with Dallas barman and restaurateur Michael Martensen to breathe new life into the space with two new concepts: Q Tacos and Machos Cantina to 3900 Cedar Springs. Both will operate inside Quesa, which will remain open, and feature tacos for less than $4 available until 4 a.m. (on Fridays and Saturdays).

https://dallas.eater.com/2017/3/15/1493 ... ina-revamp

Any updates on the street re-do that was supposed to take place here?

R1070

Postby R1070 » 16 May 2017 21:56

I think "Fab Nail Bar" is replacing Subway and it appears that some cleanup work has been done on the old Cafe Brazil property to get it rented out.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 16 May 2017 22:15

Not sure about the street re-do, but it looks like there is a push again for rainbow crosswalks at Cedar Springs/Throckmorton instersection after the public art crosswalks were installed in the West Village recently.

http://www.dallasvoice.com/tag/rainbow-crosswalk

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 16 May 2017 23:15

uptown74 wrote:Not sure about the street re-do, but it looks like there is a push again for rainbow crosswalks at Cedar Springs/Throckmorton instersection after the public art crosswalks were installed in the West Village recently.

http://www.dallasvoice.com/tag/rainbow-crosswalk

The new colored crosswalks are great. I hope this corner gets one too.

Of all places We really could use some near the arts district as well.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 17 May 2017 09:20

Tailored crosswalks are great, especially if they lead to new sidewalks. Oak Lawn Avenue should be one of the city's Premier, World-Class, New Millenial, NewUrbanistMixedUse, Starcitect, Complete Streeted.... pedestrian-resident oriented thoroughfare, from the fountain at Preston Road to the Trinity River.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 17 May 2017 12:54

tamtagon wrote:Tailored crosswalks are great, especially if they lead to new sidewalks. Oak Lawn Avenue should be one of the city's Premier, World-Class, New Millenial, NewUrbanistMixedUse, Starcitect, Complete Streeted.... pedestrian-resident oriented thoroughfare, from the fountain at Preston Road to the Trinity River.

Totally agree!

One of the reader comments by Philip Kingston from the Dallas Voice article stated that Oaklawn has always opposed forming a PID like Uptown. Any ideas as to why business owners would be opposed to this? The Uptown PID has done so many things for the area.

JohnMcKee

Postby JohnMcKee » 17 May 2017 13:08

uptown74 wrote:
tamtagon wrote:Tailored crosswalks are great, especially if they lead to new sidewalks. Oak Lawn Avenue should be one of the city's Premier, World-Class, New Millenial, NewUrbanistMixedUse, Starcitect, Complete Streeted.... pedestrian-resident oriented thoroughfare, from the fountain at Preston Road to the Trinity River.

Totally agree!

One of the reader comments by Philip Kingston from the Dallas Voice article stated that Oaklawn has always opposed forming a PID like Uptown. Any ideas as to why business owners would be opposed to this? The Uptown PID has done so many things for the area.

Probably mostly money and a concern that they would side more with commercial developers and not existing property owners.

And I really have to push back on the Uptown trying to distance itself from the gays thing, a lot of Uptown was supposed to be master planned developments including Cityplace West and The Vineyard, it's separated from the rest of Oak Lawn geographically, with a railroad and the Turtle Creek neighborhood which is distinct from Oak Lawn in feeling and Uptown includes the State Thomas historic district which has nothing to do with Oak Lawn. And there are plenty of gays in Uptown.

David is just wrong on this, Uptown is a thing, it's the Uptown PID, it's not anything less of a thing than Oak Lawn which is just a large zoning designation and not so much a distinct neighborhood.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 24 May 2017 11:20

A new gastropub is coming to Oak Lawn Avenue bearing craft beer and brunch. Called District 30 Gastropub, it'll open in June at 3211 Oak Lawn Ave., in a space with some turnover and whose most recent occupant was Bite By Eddy T.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... shi-axiom/

Is it just me, or is Oak Lawn seeing a bit more news these days? I know all areas of DFW have been booming lately, but, compared to the rest of urban Dallas, Oak Lawn felt like it was lagging behind for quite sometime.

I know a few restaurant openings don't exactly change much, but perhaps this will slowly pick up for the area soon.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 May 2017 14:20

All you have to do is look at how many new apartments have been built between Cedar Springs and Maple and you will see exactly why Oak Lawn is getting more attention. Some of the leadership in the LGBTQA community have been pointing out the gentrification problem here too. While this area is not West Dallas it does cater to a group of people that are not always as well off as some would assume. Not to mention the battle over gay-centered businesses and the changing expectations of that community has created a significant divide.

You have the gay people who no longer feels contained in the gay neighborhood and sees the gay bars as outdated vs the gay individuals that remain dependent on the gay-centric establishments to have a safe place to be themselves. I see it as increasing hard to appeal to both sides in Oak Lawn while the straight crowd continues to move further in and cause additional complications in the future success of gay neighborhoods.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 Aug 2017 11:18

With the crosswalk discussion, I've become more interested in why Oak Lawn doesn't have a PID. Conjecture seems to be that business owners have traditionally opposed this, but no doubt the most powerful group in Oak Lawn is the Oak Lawn Committee. This group can approve or sink a new development, yet they struggle to raise funds for things like maintenance of the Legacy of Love monument on Oak Lawn and Cedar Springs.

I guess my question is how does Oak Lawn Committee feel about an Oak Lawn PID and if they approve of one, what's keeping them from forming it.

Then you have to wonder how to draw the boundaries and whether Turtle Creek wants anything to do with the Oak Lawn of apartment blocks taking over Maple to Cedar Springs.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 01 Aug 2017 12:34

Maybe they're hoping that deferred maintenance on the Legacy of Love monument will cause it to topple over. Then it can be replaced with something that's not a poorly-designed phallic eyesore.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 Aug 2017 15:36

Developers buy properties along Oak Lawn's Maple Avenue for future project
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... re-project

Almost three blocks along busy Maple Avenue have been purchased by two real estate companies created by MQ Development, a Dallas-based shopping center firm. The companies have purchased more than three dozen properties over more than a year, Dallas County records show.

Most of the property is on the south side of Maple, stretching about three blocks between Wycliff Avenue and Lucas Drive. The purchases include automotive businesses, small retail buildings and offices.

The acquisition is one of the largest such assemblies of properties in years in Oak Lawn.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 Aug 2017 17:40

Jay9398 wrote:Maybe they're hoping that deferred maintenance on the Legacy of Love monument will cause it to topple over. Then it can be replaced with something that's not a poorly-designed phallic eyesore.

I've walked past this a handful of times and never really paid attention to the fact that it's a monument. I suppose it's obvious that it is one, but the fact that it's on a small island surrounded by a busy street doesn't really make it feel very monumental-like.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 02 Aug 2017 08:18

The complete street plans would have taken care of this by closing off that righ turn as well as made the street more friendly to retail and restuarant space. Unfortunately the bar owners squashed the entire deal as they said it would get in the way of thier beer truck deliveries. I went to the planning meetings and the bar owners were vocal that they would not let this plan get done.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Aug 2017 10:05

Cbdallas wrote:The complete street plans would have taken care of this by closing off that right turn as well as made the street more friendly to retail and restaurant space. Unfortunately, the bar owners squashed the entire deal as they said it would get in the way of their beer truck deliveries. I went to the planning meetings and the bar owners were vocal that they would not let this plan get done.

I've talked with the bar owners and while that reason is on their list of complaints just like we would all have a list of complaints if we owned or ran a business the other reason is they are deathly afraid the construction process will kill off businesses.

The business owners saw the emptying out of Lowest Greenville. They saw that when crime scared patrons from Deep Ellum. They are afraid that gay businesses will fold and that more of the hipster businesses will come in and wash away the gay oriented place so many have tried to maintain for decades. They don't trust that construction led by the city won't kill off places like Hunky's, Woody's, Tapelenders, Cedar Springs Tap House etc. This is a real fear and I sympathize but they have yet to move the neighborhood forward by trying to hold it in the past.

I also understand the frustration with the larger bars from some of us but this is not limited to them. The Tavern Guild as a whole has been against it. Best I can tell there is no fresh blood in the Tavern Guild which means the same old people fear to be the next Deep Ellum and Lowest Greenville in terms of empty retail spaces due to construction and crime. They see the speeding cars during rush hour as a sign of their profitable businesses and any narrowing for safety they see as something that will kill some and most of their profits. Research and evidence have proven otherwise but the city isn't good at arguing their point. City staff's job is to present information in a mild manner while leaving council members to bring passionate discord. City council members have campaign contributors to worry about in addition to a voting public that is badly informed on city planning matters so unless they choose to fight somewhat of an uphill battle they tend to refer to what the room settles on.

The thing that's entirely different here is that they fear that the gay community won't have a place to rally around if they don't protect all the businesses that keep Cedar Springs alive. Construction like what affected Lowest Greenville could be the death nail for the smaller guys, not necessarily the S4's and RoundUps that have proven track records to attract people no doubt the political climate or the sexuality of a person.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 02 Aug 2017 11:02

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I've talked with the bar owners and while that reason is on their list of complaints just like we would all have a list of complaints if we owned or ran a business the other reason is they are deathly afraid the construction process will kill off businesses.

Um, Cedar Springs @ Throckmorton is pretty much a monopoly for the Gay Scene. Where else would these particular customers go for a similar experience? I guess Houston comes to mind, Austin isn't big enough to hold down the same atmosphere? Fort Worth?

There's got to be a solution that'll fix the street for pedestrians that doesn't send Caven into a panic.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Aug 2017 13:17

I think the only thing that would send Caven into a panic would be two or three gay bars opening in Oak Cliff, threatening to take the crowds away from Oak Lawn.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 Aug 2017 14:59

lakewoodhobo wrote:I think the only thing that would send Caven into a panic would be two or three gay bars opening in Oak Cliff, threatening to take the crowds away from Oak Lawn.

I could see that happening, except instead of Oak Cliff, perhaps the bars will locate west of DNT.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 02 Aug 2017 22:16

I don't think Cedar Springs looks that bad. Especially the block with Roundup and Hunkys. They could just do some little things to spruce it up a bit. Rainbow crosswalks will be fun too.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 03 Aug 2017 10:35

Come on Dallas get it together and Caven should foot the bill.

https://www.ksat.com/news/city-approves ... f-downtown

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Aug 2017 12:54

R1070 wrote:I don't think Cedar Springs looks that bad. Especially the block with Roundup and Hunkys. They could just do some little things to spruce it up a bit. Rainbow crosswalks will be fun too.

I don't think it looks so great but I don't think areas with bars ever look that great so it probably doesn't matter. My overall opinion is that it could be improved and updated at the very least.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Aug 2017 09:19

tamtagon wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I've talked with the bar owners and while that reason is on their list of complaints just like we would all have a list of complaints if we owned or ran a business the other reason is they are deathly afraid the construction process will kill off businesses.

Um, Cedar Springs @ Throckmorton is pretty much a monopoly for the Gay Scene. Where else would these particular customers go for a similar experience? I guess Houston comes to mind, Austin isn't big enough to hold down the same atmosphere? Fort Worth?

There's got to be a solution that'll fix the street for pedestrians that doesn't send Caven into a panic.

What you are missing is the reality that the gays are not patronizing the gay bars like they used to. The acceptance of gays into wider culture means they enjoy the comforts of every other bar in town. While once gay bars were competing with each other they are now competing with Uptown, Deep Ellum, Lowest Greenville, Legacy, Design District. All you have to do is check the gays you know that go out Instagram accounts and you will see them all over Dallas not just at RoundUp or JR's. There is already some widespread distaste for the old and lack of creativity with the gay bar scene in Dallas. Many gay bars have held on for decades under the premise as a safe place to be gay. What happens when gay men and women no longer feel threatened outside of a gay bar. That's when a bar owner has to re-examine what drives customers. Is the concept for the bar strong enough to be attractive to the same people who go to HG Supply or the Armory in Deep Ellum. Those are two bars I see a lot of gays at these days, well those and Stirr.

That is what scares all the gay bars and other gay businesses. If you make it harder to access their establishments like let's say for the construction of a road diet beautification project will those customers come back? Will that business who depends on the regulars and walk-ins be able to keep the customers they have and get new ones while construction is under way?

Fear is a powerful tool and fear has kept gay bars in business for decades. When you get rid of the fear and then you are left with the same things that make any bar in town a success or a failure. It's a reality that gay bars and gay districts are in for some definite decline in size and strength simply because they are a "gay bar".

With all that said how do you implement changes to the infrastructure of our gaybourhood while improving safety, access, beautification and not killing off business for an already open group of seemingly stable businesses? The answer from many business owners has been just throw in some blinking lights and more stop lights and leave us alone.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Aug 2017 10:19

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
tamtagon wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:... the other reason is they are deathly afraid the construction process will kill off businesses.

Um, Cedar Springs @ Throckmorton is pretty much a monopoly for the Gay Scene...

What you are missing is the reality that the gays are not patronizing the gay bars like they used to. The acceptance of gays into wider culture means they enjoy the comforts of every other bar in town. While once gay bars were competing with each other they are now competing with Uptown, Deep Ellum, Lowest Greenville, Legacy, Design District. All you have to do is check the gays you know that go out Instagram accounts and you will see them all over Dallas not just at RoundUp or JR's. There is already some widespread distaste for the old and lack of creativity with the gay bar scene in Dallas. Many gay bars have held on for decades under the premise as a safe place to be gay. What happens when gay men and women no longer feel threatened outside of a gay bar. That's when a bar owner has to re-examine what drives customers. Is the concept for the bar strong enough to be attractive to the same people who go to HG Supply or the Armory in Deep Ellum. Those are two bars I see a lot of gays at these days, well those and Stirr.

That is what scares all the gay bars and other gay businesses. If you make it harder to access their establishments like let's say for the construction of a road diet beautification project will those customers come back? Will that business who depends on the regulars and walk-ins be able to keep the customers they have and get new ones while construction is under way?

Fear is a powerful tool and fear has kept gay bars in business for decades. When you get rid of the fear and then you are left with the same things that make any bar in town a success or a failure. It's a reality that gay bars and gay districts are in for some definite decline in size and strength simply because they are a "gay bar".

With all that said how do you implement changes to the infrastructure of our gaybourhood while improving safety, access, beautification and not killing off business for an already open group of seemingly stable businesses? The answer from many business owners has been just throw in some blinking lights and more stop lights and leave us alone.

If the gaybar owners cannot adapt to marketplace changes, they will go out of business. Certainly nightclub patron demographics have changed and gays are comfortably open in many other entertainment districts, but that does not diminish the function of a gay bar.

If Crossroads gay nightclub operators are fearful customers would not return after a temporary reconstruction period, they ought to think about retiring.

Caven Inc was made possible by protective shadowy streets in a bad part of town leading to safe havens; then a patio became possible and a balcony next to a growing disco. An intersection became a scene and it spread. It's past time for the next step, Mary! Every other part of town is trying to rebuild the street level service area. Caven should lead the party, rejoice hallelujah, that the town can handle block after block of gays right out there in the open. Making a statement, continuing the fight against discrimination is STILL the reason to push for the complete-street make-over, municipally funded, that will make the strip an even more popular place to hang out.

Any decline in the scope & scale of a gay party scene destination resulting from the acceptance of gays in another party scene has the very potent side-effect of opening the gay scene to the people from the other party scenes. It's not just the faghags and fruitloops who want to feel comfortable at the gay party. Really review the gayfolk Instragram feeds, see all the people in the background, they are potential new customers for the gay bars. They're not gay (all the way), but they're looking for variety, too, and they're not freaked out by a room full gay people. Deep Ellum is not just for straight people, Cedar Springs is not just for gay people. The preferences of repeat and loyal customers certainly will not disappear just because a variety of experiences is an option.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Aug 2017 15:35

Please stop saying, Caven, because Caven is not the only voice in the gaybourhood. All the bars and businesses are in somewhat of a chorus here. To blame it solely on Caven would be a very big mistake cause the owner of the much smaller and independent Alexandre's is also against many of the roadway changes previously proposed. He a is a staunch small business owner and champions the many other businesses that call Cedar Springs home. We are not just talking about S4/Jr's/SueEllens/TMC here we are also talking about Hunky's, Zephyr's, Skivvies, Italia Express, Tapelenders, Cafe Brazil, Salon Aura, Street's Fine Chicken, UPS store, Cedar Springs Tattoos and Piercings, Woody's, The Nail Spa, Cedar Springs Tap House, AI Sushi Sake Grill, Onyx Nail Bar, Taco Y Mas, Panda's, Green Cleaners, Beauty Box Salon, Chef House, Donuts, La Belle Salon...all of which in some form have shown some serious doubt on previously proposed changes.

This change is not just about the gay bars. It's about how small business owners are affected when a city takes on a massive repair of the neighborhood long scarred by suburban car based planning methods.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 09 Aug 2017 15:56

One way to apply pressure is to form a citizens group with the people that live between Lemmon and Maple between the tollway and Oaklawn to address the parking situations on all of the side streets. Knight Street going south towards Maple has parking on both sides and is a very narrow street and the Fire trucks can barely get down that street on weekends or evenings due to the parking. If that entire area had some street parking removed for safety it would change the dynamic of the neighborhood. I know the Greenville ave. residents did this years ago so it can be done with the city.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Aug 2017 17:23

Cedar Springs is about to get a double dose of Greenville Avenue, as two Lower Greenville concepts expand into an iconic Oak Lawn building. Restaurateur Brooke Humphries is opening a first-of-its-kind combination of Mudsmith, her coffee house, with Pints & Quarts, her retro burger stand at The Centrum building.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... humphries/
I'm pretty sure Mudsmith was originally supposed to come to Elm St in downtown, so I wonder if they backed out of that.

Quadrant is adding a key feature: a row of diagonal pull-up parking spots in front of their space. While the Centrum has a generous underground parking lot, it hasn't had the pull-up parking spaces that helps make a place succeed in Dallas.

Was this part of the original Centrum renovation, or is this a recent addition? I haven't seen what this will look in like in person, but sounds like a step backwards. With that said, it does seem like a lot of Oak Lawn is still very car centric, so, I guess I'm not too surprised.

Regarding the ongoing conversation about the gay bars: street re-do or not, I think the market may eventually diversify this neighborhood. The article mentions three new additions to the area. I know it's not exactly in the cedar springs bar area, but it's right on the outskirts, so it's likely this type of development will continue to creep it's way closer.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Aug 2017 18:55

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Please stop saying, Caven, because Caven is not the only voice in the gaybourhood.

true

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 Aug 2017 19:54

Part of me is happy about Mudsmith and Pints & Quarts coming, the other part is saying a big "meh." I don't think anything will thrive there as long as that intersection remains a speedway.

I'm a hundred times more optimistic about the intersection of Zang and Davis, which is where these East Dallas businesses should be looking at expanding.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Aug 2017 06:35

here's another article about stuff on Maple Avenue:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ment-deals

Dallas' Maple Avenue is back on the map, and here's why

Steve Brown

...The most significant project so far on Maple has been Crow Holdings' landmark redevelopment of the Old Parkland Hospital campus...

... Trammell Crow Residential .. 340-unit apartment project is under construction at Throckmorton and Fairmount, a block off Maple.

...an office building at Fairmount and the tollway. The four-story Parkland Knight building is being constructed

...At Maple and Wycliff, MQ Development has bought up more than three dozen properties for a future project. The land assembly is one of the largest in years in Oak Lawn.

...near Parkland Hospital at Maple and Hudnall Street, a large property just east of DART's Inwood Road rail station is being planned for a combination of apartments and retail.

..."Medical district jobs clearly are the key driver of demand in the neighborhood," Willett said. "Current occupancy tops 95 percent, and vacancy issues have been avoided throughout this development cycle."

The redevelopment of the Old Parkland Hospital (...not to be confused with TCrow's old Old Parkland Campus) is just a couple blocks over.

What's going to be interesting is this huge swath of light warehouse in Dallas, created and made develop-able by rerouting and channeling the Trinity River decades. This is the prime location for the next generation of service center consolidation, relocation and new development. Activated as better alternative to the contemporary rush in Plano/Frisco and Las Colinas, Regal Row, Market Center, Design District will dominate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 23 Aug 2017 14:53

Crane for the Trammell Crow project on Fairmount went up yesterday.

Significant ground work is being done on the Fair-Knight office project and the last Old Parkland office site project

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 25 Sep 2017 00:33

Modera Turtle Creek 9-24-17

ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 26 Sep 2017 15:13

I hate to say it but I think the Centrum redo is horrible. Cheap materials and lighting that does not look like any of it was handled by a design group and it shows. What happened to changing the clock tower out to an electronic board as shown in the original drawings for the redesign. This refresh will age very fast. I am glad I don't own one of those condos on top as they are stuck with this as well.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 26 Sep 2017 19:05

It is very disappointing, but not absolutely hideous. I feel like they just threw some lipstick on it and are trying to sell it as a complete facelift. The choice of the new trees on the sidewalk are even lame.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 27 Sep 2017 10:23

We walked by the Centrum last night and decided that it now looks about 20 years old instead of 40. Not a huge improvement. And it is still very unfriendly from the first floor facing the sidewalk, especially on the Oak Lawn side.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 27 Sep 2017 16:30

R1070

Postby R1070 » 12 Nov 2017 16:34

1) The Poston building is gone on Hall Street.
2) The apts at Welborn and Cedar Springs has a pretty nice exterior finish.
3) The new retail going into the Centrum on the Welborn side looks pretty nice. The re-development while not as grandiose as I thought it would be is still a nice improvement.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Nov 2017 00:55

R1070 wrote:1) The Poston building is gone on Hall Street.

Is the Poston building the really old yellow house one that is basically surrounded by The Renaissance (3225 Turtle Creek)?

This one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8074369 ... 312!8i6656