Downtown Dallas: Forty Five Ten

Tnexster

Downtown Dallas: Forty Five Ten

Postby Tnexster » 10 Nov 2016 10:38

No more waiting: Forty Five Ten is days away from its Main St. Dallas opening

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/reta ... as-opening

Yes, we know there's a big election today, but we thought you might like to know that Dallas' new department store - Forty Five Ten -- is opening on Saturday.

The four-level, 37,000-square-foot store at 1615 Main St. will sell women's and men's apparel and home merchandise. More details are coming later this week.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Downtown Dallas: Forty Five Ten

Postby tamtagon » 10 Nov 2016 11:13

The door is opening! Next, the fancy jewelry stores come back. Led by high end retail, the CBD is solidly on track to be the most creative, selective, diverse shopping destination in the South Central US. The further out the population center grows, the stronger the case for a concentration of niche retail in one place. This department store is well known outside of Dallas, is a natural companion to Neimans.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Nov 2016 12:15

Great news! I feel like this one took forever, but I'm glad to see some more activity Downtown.

It feels like there has been a decent amount of news in the CBD lately. Most of it has been relatively small compared to Uptown and the suburbs, but it's been a lot more frequent these days.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Nov 2016 22:36

Just in time for Christmas, would be fun to see Main emerge is a major shopping district with retailers battling to get in.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 11 Nov 2016 20:36

The current location at 4510 McKinney Ave has the windows covered with signs up that say coming January 2017 'FOR HOME...FORTY FIVE TEN...THE BEST OF DALLAS DESIGN'.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 11 Nov 2016 22:33

Can't believe we're still building fences, gates and motor courts. Building looks great but the Elm street side looks straight out of HP. It's a shame.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Nov 2016 13:32

What is Forty Five Ten and what does it mean for downtown Dallas?

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/reta ... own-dallas

It represents a huge jolt of energy for the early stages of a downtown renaissance. It’s another layer to the changes brought about by visionary developer Tim Headington who knew to build a luxury hotel a block from the iconic Adolphus, and Dallas’ Neiman Marcus which had the patience and strength to alone anchor a lifeless downtown for decades.

willyk

Postby willyk » 15 Nov 2016 04:21

A Wind-Powered Sculpture Is Downtown Dallas’ Newest Art Installation
The kinetic, pinwheel-like work is slightly less imposing than the giant eyeball next door.

http://www.dmagazine.com/arts-entertainment/2016/11/a-wind-powered-sculpture-is-downtown-dallas-newest-art-installation/

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Nov 2016 14:28

I passed by this development today. I like the way they improved the sidewalk. The plants and trees around the structure are nice as well.

However, the parking and the closed off area to the Eye with the wooden fence is not inviting and kinda seems like Fortress

The art structure is ...meh.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 18 Nov 2016 10:58

Nice addition to downtown retail.

willyk

Postby willyk » 18 Nov 2016 18:31

I like the gold leaf-- adds a lot of life to the facade.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Nov 2016 21:22

That looks amazing

eburress

Postby eburress » 19 Nov 2016 17:37

Yeah, the building looks terrific! I still wish there were a residential tower on top of it, but yes, it's great for Downtown either way.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 20 Nov 2016 07:30

Looks great, what is planned for the eye ball lot?

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 20 Nov 2016 09:55

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:The art structure is ...meh.

It's a kinetic sculpture, right? Every time I've walked by, which has been at least a half dozen times, it's been still — like they haven't unlocked it yet.

I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't let it do its thing. The movement is a significant part of the 'art.'

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Nov 2016 12:22

ContriveDallasite wrote:Looks great, what is planned for the eyeball lot?

Exactly what you see. It will remain a privately owned and operated public park. When the applied for permits for Forty Five Ten they documented the numerous improvements they intended to make to the eyeball park including the fence that would be open during the day and close at night. They realized the value in the semi-public space that they could also use for tented special events.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Nov 2016 14:27

I've been walking along main these past few days.. I must say that the luxe retailers along main & commerce have been great. There's a lot for lease on Commerce next to Joseph A. Bank that would be great as a mixed use project ...would be a perfect spot for another luxe retail store.

The Neiman Marcus & 4510 parking lots are major negatives though.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Nov 2016 09:10

If you can provide the parking retailers will show up. The problem now is only solved because Tim Headington and Neiman Marcus can afford to solve that problem. The site you speak of has already been proposed to be a restaurant space by planners but without securing a dedicated parking plan it will sit as a dog poop zone. Keep in mind that the DP&L building also has a retail space available right there as well that they have never been able to fill. Not to mention the empty Interurban retail space formerly held by the defunct grocery store and restaurant.

I still agree with the suggestion to create a smoother transition between Main Street Pegasus Plaza and the commerce side by modifying the valet area for the Magnolia Hotel. Right now you have that big wall and construction fence up blocking off pass-through pedestrian traffic. Plop a glass box retail space in Pegasus Plaza as suggested, remove the visual wall and promote it as a unifying connection of retail/restaurants and you have an amenity for the hotel and AT&T. Right now that pass through the Joule complex is a start but isn't enough. Complete the circle and create a loop that captures and attracts pedestrians.

Neimans also has to clean up their garage and empty retail space. They still have a plywood plug in the windows along Commerce and appeared to not have any desire to fill the empty retail in their garage at Ervay and Commerce.

I do like Forty Five Ten though the store is a good scale for the area despite Tim Headington destroying history. The valet area while better that I thought with the fancy fence is still a downer though.

willyk

Postby willyk » 25 Nov 2016 16:33

cowboyeagle05 wrote:If you can provide the parking retailers will show up. The problem now is only solved because Tim Headington and Neiman Marcus can afford to solve that problem.

More parking is always more better, but I question whether it is still necessary for successful retail in this part of Downtown. In the next 6-12 months we will add:

1. Statler Residences
2. Statler Hotel
3. Residence Inn
4. AC Hotel
5. UNT Law School
6. Dallas Morning News HQ
7. Mega WeWork

And we just added
8. Hampton Inn
9. Westin Hotel
10. Hilton Garden Inn
11. LTV Tower Residences

That's a lot of foot traffic in need of things to do. And the neighborhood has already turned pretty lively with the people that are there now.

I think we are about to turn the corner for retail in this area. The obvious direction is for mainstream establishments that will cater to the hotel traffic, office crowd and neighborhood residents. The riskier direction is for more destination/luxe retail like Forty Five Ten where parking is a requirement. But this neighborhood is ready for takeoff.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 26 Nov 2016 22:59

I didn't realize so much retail space was available... that they haven't been leased already is a bit unnerving. What else does the Main/Commerce area need before more retailers decide to come?

Besides parking...

muncien

Postby muncien » 29 Nov 2016 08:51

dukemeredith wrote:I didn't realize so much retail space was available... that they haven't been leased already is a bit unnerving. What else does the Main/Commerce area need before more retailers decide to come?

Besides parking...

Main st. needs to be closed to vehicle traffic beginning at 6pm on Friday's and through Sunday evening. Street vendor spaces should be setup along the middle and help bring activity during the weekend. This should become a weekly deal and not a one and done event. Once you establish the area on a consistent basis you gain a following and more serious retailers will desire a brick and mortar store.
Since my years back in DP&L, I always thought that would do wonders. It's still kinda baffling to me that something like this hasn't been done.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 29 Nov 2016 09:44

/\ I totally agree and it would help cut down on the endless cruising at night.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 29 Nov 2016 10:01

I really love what Santa Monica has done both in terms of parking and closing off 3rd Street to vehicular traffic. They turned it into pedestrian only and the result is a great walkable area with tons of restaurants, retailers etc... It's an incredibly desirable area for retailers (it's also a block from the beach which doesn't hurt)!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Nov 2016 11:41

You do have a hotel right in the middle of it, I guess they could move all vehicular activity to the Commerce Street side.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 29 Nov 2016 11:58

Two-way traffic on Elm and Commerce and all the cross street would allow a reconfiguration that dramatically reduces vehicular traffic on Main Street.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 29 Nov 2016 14:21

I like the weekend "pedestrian only" idea. Raleigh, NC does something similar quite frequently (though not every weekend) -- they close a main street in downtown (Fayetteville Street) for pedestrians, food trucks, and vendors only. Often there is a fashion show, or a series of concerts, too.

Interestingly, Fayetteville Street used to be a pedestrian mall all the time. That setup failed, however, and (paradoxically) the revitalization of downtown Raleigh as an entertainment destination was helped by opening Fayetteville Street back up to vehicle traffic.

At least according to some: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2007-may-learning-from-raleigh-nc-fayetteville-street-renaissance

Still, the frequent closure for events was a draw for a lot of folks.

muncien

Postby muncien » 29 Nov 2016 14:45

Great post Duke... thx!

Yeah... I agree that a 100% conversion of Main probably wouldn't be the best solution. At the same time, I think blaming the failure of Raleigh's downtown on the pedestrian mall is a bit of an overstatement. Downtown's were failing all over throughout that period and few, if any can blame such a conversion. But it's been a long time since I've been to Raleigh, so maybe I'm off base.

I'm actually okay with 'cruising' too... Sure it causes unnecessary congestion in same areas (possibly Mckinney Ave), but the CBD has a ways to go before it reaches that point. Until then, we should encourage visitors to cruise through the city, maybe even repeatedly, at least up until the point of Friday evening through Sunday. Then, I think pedestrians should take over. If every weekend is overkill, maybe it should just be once a month, or every other week. Rents on the pop-up retail should be very cheap to get things going.

Now, as for a full on pedestrian corridor... That should be Harwood from Katy to Farmers Market. There really isn't any retail on that street to kill off. But the connectivity would be priceless.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 29 Nov 2016 17:11

So retailers won't come if there's no parking? My thought has always been that retailers will line up when there's people around and they drool at the opportunity to be areas with high foot traffic.

I don't think the vacant retail space in Downtown will stay vacant long if the population keeps rising.

The interurban grocery spot failed due to bad timing. There simply wasn't enough critical mass for such venture.

However, I feel that we have reached the tipping point where we'll start seeing these vacant spaces snatched up.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 29 Nov 2016 17:23

cowboyeagle05 wrote:The site you speak of has already been proposed to be a restaurant space by planners but without securing a dedicated parking plan it will sit as a dog poop zone.

If that's the case, then it's a matter of our idiotic parking requirements prohibiting a new development. A restaurant can prevail in Downtown without parking. There is a burgeoning residential population and a huge daytime population. Being next to AT&T doesn't hurt that proposed site either.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Nov 2016 18:10

That's true for lunchtime but nighttime in Downtown for many places can still be a dead-zone for businesses. Sure Main Street has some activity and is probably the best zone for night activity but the businesses like Cafe Izmir at ALto211 on Ervay, Cafe Momentum on Pacific or the spot you speak off are off the beaten path. At least Cafe Momentum has a close by hotel with some residences and some significant press. Cafe Izmir is on Ervay with no dedicated parking and still has trouble with dinner service even though during the daytime they are packed with office workers. Even Jason's Deli closed their late hours and they were on one of the best section of Main Street for foot traffic. Some of these places can not function with one time of day full. They need night time to be busy as well to stay open long term. I am not saying I support massive parking requirements because I am all for realizing parking requirements in many cases but still does have an impact on success.

muncien

Postby muncien » 30 Nov 2016 09:20

There are countless business that make a living off of the two hour lunch period during the weekday. That goes for both urban and suburban. Even out here in Las Colinas, along the Macarthur corridor for instance, you'll find most of the local eateries packed during lunch, but not a soul in site during dinner (despite massive parking lots).
Snappy Salads, Break Zepplin, Texadelphia, Freebirds, Sushi Ya, and the list goes on and on... These places are ghost towns outside the hours of 11:30am - 1:30pm.

More parking for retail in downtown won't do anything to change their fortunes. Simply getting more people (residents preferably) into downtown will make a difference. And, that's what the city should continue to focus on.

On a side note... The DMN article about the city putting additional parking requirements on establishments with patios (bars) has to be one of the stupidest proposals I've ever heard of.

theoryNine

Postby theoryNine » 30 Nov 2016 09:31

muncien wrote:There are countless business that make a living off of the two hour lunch period during the weekday. That goes for both urban and suburban. Even out here in Las Colinas, along the Macarthur corridor for instance, you'll find most of the local eateries packed during lunch, but not a soul in site during dinner (despite massive parking lots).
Snappy Salads, Break Zepplin, Texadelphia, Freebirds, Sushi Ya, and the list goes on and on... These places are ghost towns outside the hours of 11:30am - 1:30pm.

More parking for retail in downtown won't do anything to change their fortunes. Simply getting more people (residents preferably) into downtown will make a difference. And, that's what the city should continue to focus on.

On a side note... The DMN article about the city putting additional parking requirements on establishments with patios (bars) has to be one of the stupidest proposals I've ever heard of.

Agreed. There's not a shortage of parking downtown at night by any means anyway. There's empty lot after empty lot. If that's when times are tough, parking isn't a magic bullet for it.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 02 Jan 2017 14:33

ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr