Downtown Dallas: Santander Tower

Tnexster

Downtown Dallas: Santander Tower

Postby Tnexster » 01 Nov 2016 11:29

Thanksgiving Tower redo brings new downtown restaurant

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... restaurant

Downtown Dallas' Thanksgiving Tower is getting a new restaurant as part of a $37 million makeover.

Gather Kitchen - a fast casual restaurant - will open a 2,400-square-foot ground floor restaurant in the Elm Street skyscraper early next year.

The new concept restaurant is being developed by restaurateurs Nicki Hamilton and Soraya Spencer.

The planned restaurant will include a bakery and outdoor seating and will serve recipes with seasonal produce from local farmers.

dukemeredith

Re: Thanksgiving Tower

Postby dukemeredith » 01 Nov 2016 12:16

Great catch! I've been waiting for an announcement! Great addition to Ascension Coffee. Now only the large restaurant space on the opposite side of the building is left.

According to DBJ, Gather Kitchen will be open Monday through Saturday, 7am-9pm.

Tnexster

Re: Downtown Dallas: Thanksgiving Tower

Postby Tnexster » 14 Nov 2016 22:17

Shared office provider takes big chunk of downtown's Thanksgiving Tower

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... ving-tower

New York-based collaborative office firm WeWork is upping its bet on the Dallas market with a large downtown office lease.

WeWork has rented three floors in the 50-story Thanksgiving Tower on Elm Street for its second location in Big D.

This summer, the shared office firm rented a smaller space in a new Uptown building for its first North Texas location.

WeWork has facilities in more than a dozen major U.S. markets.

The firm will rent about 84,000 square feet in Thanksgiving Tower, which is getting a $37 million makeover.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 02 Jan 2017 14:28

1/2/17
ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Jan 2017 12:49

Are they changing out the glass at the ground level?

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 03 Jan 2017 12:52

If they're doing the same on the Elm side as the Pacific side, then they're simply replacing the old red marble façade with white metal and improving the sidewalk.

Interior spaces are starting to come together -- can't wait for the Ascension and Gather Kitchen to open up! (Don't think the larger restaurant space on the west side of the lobby has been announced yet...)

R1070

Postby R1070 » 03 Jan 2017 20:17

I wonder when the LED at the top of the building will be re-lit.

willyk

Postby willyk » 04 Jan 2017 04:51

Tnexster wrote:Are they changing out the glass at the ground level?

The renders I've seen show new glass at ground level. It makes a big difference and I hope they have not given up on that.

Second thumbnail:

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2016/06/23/woods-capital-brings-management-of-thanksgiving.html#i2n

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 04 Jan 2017 09:01

R1070 wrote:I wonder when the LED at the top of the building will be re-lit.

I wonder when they will get those spaces across elm street from this building finished. They have been working on these buildings for years now. I am curious as to whether they will ever be finished.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 04 Jan 2017 09:49

Jbarn wrote:

I wonder when they will get those spaces across elm street from this building finished. They have been working on these buildings for years now. I am curious as to whether they will ever be finished.

The project is called Mid Elm Lofts and used to have its own thread. I know they have hit several setbacks, but they're still working on it and it's still showing as an active project on the development company's website for whatever that's worth (can't find any official news stories less than a year old).

http://www.brytarcompanies.com/developments/

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 04 Jan 2017 10:28

Jay9398 wrote:
Jbarn wrote:

The project is called Mid Elm Lofts and used to have its own thread. I know they have hit several setbacks, but they're still working on it and it's still showing as an active project on the development company's website for whatever that's worth (can't find any official news stories less than a year old).

It has certainly been slow, but I've seen some progress over the past few months. Last I read, it isn't a financial issue. But I also haven't seen any new news recently. Who knows what they ran into.
Last edited by dukemeredith on 04 Jan 2017 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 04 Jan 2017 10:29

sorry for the double post!

R1070

Postby R1070 » 15 Jan 2017 21:18

The LEDs on top are lit up tonight.

theoryNine

Postby theoryNine » 24 Apr 2017 13:25

Ascension Coffee is shaping up really well at the base of the tower and now has hours up. Looks like they'll be open until 10pm Monday-Saturday and until 7pm on Sunday. Looking forward to a nighttime coffee option! The space is pretty large and has ample seating as well.
Last edited by theoryNine on 24 Apr 2017 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 Apr 2017 13:31

theoryNine wrote:Ascension Coffee is shaping up really well at the base of the tower and now have hours up. Looks like they'll be open until 10pm Monday-Saturday and until 7pm on Sunday. Looking forward to a nighttime coffee option! The space is pretty large and has ample seating as well.

Per Ascension's Twitter .. They open Tomorrow.

Does anyone know if mudsmith will still open across the street?

Will be interesting how they compete. Hopefully they can both survive.
Last edited by Tivo_Kenevil on 24 Apr 2017 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

theoryNine

Postby theoryNine » 24 Apr 2017 13:32

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
theoryNine wrote:Ascension Coffee is shaping up really well at the base of the tower and now have hours up. Looks like they'll be open until 10pm Monday-Saturday and until 7pm on Sunday. Looking forward to a nighttime coffee option! The space is pretty large and has ample seating as well.

Per Ascension's Twitter .. They open Tomorrow.

Whoo! Thanks for the update! The space definitely looked completed when I looked in yesterday, I didn't realize the opening was so soon though.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 24 Apr 2017 15:52

I'm not sure about Mudsmith. It would be a while before they'd be able to move in. This pic is from yesterday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Apr 2017 16:46

I read something about this today being a year delayed. The developer is going to the city to seek an extension on TIF funding or some such thing. Need to find the article again.

theoryNine

Postby theoryNine » 24 Apr 2017 21:31

Oh really? I thought I read something similar a good while back. It seems to have started up again, the scaffolding and lifts there are new and I've finally seen people on the roof and out front working again. They had an extra lane blocked off to bring in trucks the other weekend too. I see out on the building from my window so I've really been wanting them to get those done.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 30 Apr 2017 12:47

Visited Ascension this morning, and it was much larger than I expected. And I also didn't realize they had a full breakfast-lunch-dinner menu. I'm very thankful to have them here.

I noticed not much was being done on the space that was previously announced for Gather Kitchen — has that fallen through?

PonyUp13

Postby PonyUp13 » 30 Apr 2017 14:54

Try out their paninis - pretty dang good

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 30 Apr 2017 19:10

mdg109 wrote:I'm not sure about Mudsmith. It would be a while before they'd be able to move in. This pic is from yesterday.

How odd. That is the exact same way that it looked two years ago. I am surprised they have been able to block that whole side of the street for this long with no visible progress.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 May 2017 09:30

What my friends noticed and they are not back pocket urban planners like many of us are but the lack of visiability of the Acension.

Beyond the scarlet A's plastered on the doors you can't even tell there is retail/restaurant space here. I know the building will no doubt use it not to mention word get around but what's sad is they have all that plaza space and it still looks like a dead 80's office building. All that renovation money spent but not a dime spent on defining the scale of the ground floor for actual human beings.

One of the crimes of the 80's architecture was office buildings the shot straight up and created imposing forms that didn't interact with the street level and mostly appeared to lurk overhead like a shadowy government. Renaissance Tower when it was redone decades ago fixed some of that by adding two story decoration around the base and made the building much less imposing to the street level. They too used to be straight up with nothing to break up the vertical mass of the building. The 80's were famous for this brutal style of architecture. Not to mention putting all retail space in underground and hidden square footage.

Let's hope that at minimum once Ascension has been open longer they will add patio tables and chairs but they might not when you take into account the homeless population nearby. Not to mention without something to define a ceiling like an over hang of some sort cafe tables with umbrellas will look odd next to a building facade that is scaled for highway viewing.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 01 May 2017 12:28

I was there this weekend and the finish out is awesome. This is exactly the type of place downtown needs more of. I was there for a few hours working on a project. I talked to one of the servers, and they are planning on having outdoor seating. They're just working on the type of outdoor furniture and how to secure it. I think they're in soft launch mode, because I didn't see any announcements on their website or their social media.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 May 2017 12:32

Honestly, that's what I figured I just wish the building did more to highlight the retail space through careful modification of the architecture. They went with the cheaper solution which is just adding some external doors. Let's hope the after build work Ascension does to create some outdoor streetside space has a positive effect.

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 02 May 2017 00:51

we were looking at office space here last week, and wow, completely different look. Very bright and light. Nice elevators.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 04 May 2017 16:49

I had Ascensión today. It was getting a nice bit of traffic.. I love this location and the design of the space. This location is brighter and more spacious than the Design District locale. Way better IMO.

I love the improvements that have been made at the street level here..

My question is...when will Thanksgiving Square stop being a dump (both figuratively and literally)?...

Anyone know what's the deal here?

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 04 May 2017 17:50

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I had Ascensión today. It was getting a nice bit of traffic.. I love this location and the design of the space. This location is brighter and more spacious than the Design District locale. Way better IMO.

I love the improvements that have been made at the street level here..

My question is...when will Thanksgiving Square stop being a dump (both figuratively and literally)?...

Anyone know what's the deal here?

Speaking of Thanks-Giving Square, the new moveable chairs and tables (which will be left out 24/7 for people to use) will be installed by the end of this month. Several people from this forum and downtown residents have donated to the campaign: http://www.thanksgiving.org/support/40chairs/.

We also received some support from Downtown Dallas Inc. to add professional landscape lighting in one area, and that will make it brighter and less scary at night (also to be installed by the end of the month).

The bigger Phase I renovations (basic infrastructure and landscape) won't happen until there is funding, and the cost is about $4 million. And until that happens (or if/when a full dog ban is implemented before) certain areas will remain a challenge to maintain: http://www.thanksgiving.org/thanks-givi ... tion-plan/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 May 2017 18:40

dfwcre8tive wrote:Speaking of Thanks-Giving Square, the new moveable chairs and tables (which will be left out 24/7 for people to use) will be installed by the end of this month. Several people from this forum and downtown residents have donated to the campaign: http://www.thanksgiving.org/support/40chairs/.

Thanks for the reminder! I just donated and got my name on one chair, in addition to having my name on the Thanksgiving Square plaque (from a kickstarter a few months ago).

I also paid for a brick on the trinity strand trail, but honestly have no idea if it exists, or if/when it will be placed.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 04 May 2017 20:35

$4 million doesn't seem like a whole lot. There's gotta be a philanthropist or two here in Dallas who'd be able and willing to donate to such an important site.

As vain as it may be, has the foundation considered naming rights? "The John Doe Gardens/Fountains/Plaza/etc. at Thanks-Giving Square" wouldn't be too offensive.

In any event, I'll be following the posted link and making my nominal donation.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 13 May 2017 09:29

Ascension has been doing well, and Gather Kitchen is now scheduled to open in July.

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/20 ... wn-dallas/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Jun 2018 21:18

The Beck Group's relocating to downtown Dallas' Thanksgiving Tower

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ving-tower

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 19 Jun 2018 13:48

Tnexster wrote:The Beck Group's relocating to downtown Dallas' Thanksgiving Tower

I always assumed Beck occupied all of 1807 Ross Ave, but 200 employees probably take up less than two floors of that building. Hopefully the owners won't have trouble filling that space.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 19 Jun 2018 15:28

lakewoodhobo wrote:
Tnexster wrote:The Beck Group's relocating to downtown Dallas' Thanksgiving Tower

I always assumed Beck occupied all of 1807 Ross Ave, but 200 employees probably take up less than two floors of that building. Hopefully the owners won't have trouble filling that space.

Beck "only" occupies the top floor, but that's still a significant percentage of the office space in that building with FIG and Corrientes 348 occupying a significant portion of the 1st and 2nd floor with non-office uses. That said, it's a really cool building with good parking and a great "arts district" location, and the owner has recently invested significant money in the common areas.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 19 Jun 2018 17:08

I believe the owner is the big oil company next door.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 19 Sep 2019 13:04

Tower Club reopens after multimillion-dollar makeover

The Tower Club, on the 48th floor of the building, has been extensively renovated and is back open. It now has 2 dining spaces (Monarch and Kaleidoscope), Sage (a bar area), an away-from-the-office work space (Productivity Zone), and BigShots, a golf simulator featuring many different course choices.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... tions.html

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 19 Sep 2019 13:57

It's basically a Country Club for Downtown and looks like it got some badly needed improvements. I've attended events there before and it wasn't in bad shape maintenance wise just seemed dated and less attractive to the current market. Now that Downtown has lots of new blood it needed a concept refresh.

Warrior2015

Re: Downtown Dallas: Thanks-Giving Square

Postby Warrior2015 » 24 Aug 2020 11:42

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ors-hotel/

The 49th & 50th floor are now hotel rooms.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Aug 2020 14:22

Interesting that they ended up with the highest floors which will cost them more but the tie in with the Tower Club makes sense. A country club without a golf course even with their recent renovations I am sure is still a hard sell. Now with a guaranteed income from hotel access partons. Notice every tower over a certain size in Downtown basicly will now have some sort of hotel offering. Bank Of Amercia Tower doesn't yet but I bet it will end up with some sort of hotel stay option in the next few years. After all they already have a spacious valet anyway.

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 24 Aug 2020 17:26

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Interesting that they ended up with the highest floors which will cost them more but the tie in with the Tower Club makes sense. A country club without a golf course even with their recent renovations I am sure is still a hard sell. Now with a guaranteed income from hotel access partons. Notice every tower over a certain size in Downtown basicly will now have some sort of hotel offering. Bank Of Amercia Tower doesn't yet but I bet it will end up with some sort of hotel stay option in the next few years. After all they already have a spacious valet anyway.

Is having hotels in all of these buildings a good thing or is it because its hard to lease office space to tenants?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 Aug 2020 17:59

^both, probably.

Downtown still doesn't have enough hotel rooms.

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 24 Aug 2020 21:49

Yeah i feel it was on its way to having alot more hotel rooms, but covid changed things up for God knows how long if not indefinitely.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 24 Aug 2020 22:56

Steve Brown is using the name "Santander Tower" in the headline. Is that something he came up with, or is the building no longer Thanksgiving Tower?

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 25 Aug 2020 07:12

itsjrd1964 wrote:Steve Brown is using the name "Santander Tower" in the headline. Is that something he came up with, or is the building no longer Thanksgiving Tower?

https://santanderconsumerusa.com/blog/r ... -to-dallas

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Aug 2020 13:53

I think it makes sense if business users are coming to town to go to meetings or visit clients in that building. Much easier to commute back and forth if it's just an elevator ride up to the top plus you get some of the vest views in the city up there.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Jul 2022 12:11

Santander Tower moves ahead on adding 228 apartments
The 50-story building in downtown Dallas announces its contractor and apartment builder to turn about 12 floors of space into residential.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... t-builder/

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jul 2022 12:33

Anyone have a running count of the units from all these conversions? I feel like it's easily over 1K units.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 25 Jul 2022 13:30

NM - dup post
Last edited by Tucy on 25 Jul 2022 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 25 Jul 2022 13:31

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Anyone have a running count of the units from all these conversions? I feel like it's easily over 1K units.

As much as possible. This new detail on Santander doesn't help much. We already had information that Santander and Bryan Tower, together, would have 550 units. So...

Santander: 228
Bryan Tower 222 (apparently - (550-228 = 222))
Energy Plaza XXX
Renaissance XXX

In the Energy Plaza thread we had been guesstimating maybe 1100 total for the four projects (well short of the 2500 touted in Steve Brown's article... the genesis of that number remains a mystery).

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jul 2022 17:51

Tucy wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Anyone have a running count of the units from all these conversions? I feel like it's easily over 1K units.

As much as possible. This new detail on Santander doesn't help much. We already had information that Santander and Bryan Tower, together, would have 550 units. So...

Santander: 228
Bryan Tower 222 (apparently - (550-228 = 222))
Energy Plaza XXX
Renaissance XXX

In the Energy Plaza thread we had been guesstimating maybe 1100 total for the four projects (well short of the 2500 touted in Steve Brown's article... the genesis of that number remains a mystery).

Steve Brown either added some units from new towers or is pulling numbers from thin air. Prolly the latter.

I think Renaissance will be 30 stories of residents. So I'm projecting about 400 units.

Not sure how many floors are in line for Energy plaza....

I don't think 2.5K is feasible... Unless they're micro units...
I think Dallas Devs should give micro units a try...
I think a Texas sized Micro unit (~450 sqft) would sell like hotcakes.