Main Street: Saint Jude Chapel

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Main Street: Saint Jude Chapel

Postby dfwcre8tive » 07 May 2017 19:48

Restoration work on the mosaics is underway.

http://www.stjudechapel.org/about/

Hannibal Lecter

Re: Main Street: Saint Jude Chapel

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 08 May 2017 10:42

When I first glanced at the middle picture I thought he was wearing a cowboy hat. :-)

xen0blue

Postby xen0blue » 08 May 2017 20:38

They really should move this chapel. It's a huge waste of space for what is there. And the big church is just a few blocks away.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 May 2017 23:09

xen0blue wrote:They really should move this chapel. It's a huge waste of space for what is there. And the big church is just a few blocks away.

What's funny is that this isn't even the worst church in downtown in terms of urban design..This chapel actually meshes into the urban fabric. The worst offender of wasted space is the back side of First United Methodist Church on San Jacinto. Its straight up suburban style.. now that's horrible.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 May 2017 10:24

xen0blue wrote:They really should move this chapel. It's a huge waste of space for what is there. And the big church is just a few blocks away.

Wow...I will just say this they recently gave up half of their space which now has a For Lease sign. Personally, I don't mind having such a unique and urban scaled cultural institution right on Main street. Not everything needs to be valet restaurants, bars, and high-end fashion boutiques. We need to serve all parts of the human condition to ensure that Downtown is a stable neighborhood. My greatest concern has been a narrowing of uses that doesn't permit the preservation of neighborhood service retail, destination retail, and community and cultural organizations. If the chapel wants to stay and serve some sanctuary I don't see why they shouldn't be welcome to do so.

As a personal note, I don't even go to church and even if I did if I had the power to remove one church from Downtown by a similar argument it would be Dallas First Baptist.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 09 May 2017 10:28

I would say the thousands of people who worship there including myself would disagree with you.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 09 May 2017 10:29

cowboyeagle05 wrote:

Wow...I will just say this they recently gave up half of their space which now has a For Lease sign. Personally, I don't mind having such a unique and urban scaled cultural institution right on Main street. Not everything needs to be valet restaurants, bars, and high-end fashion boutiques. We need to serve all parts of the human condition to ensure that Downtown is a stable neighborhood. My greatest concern has been a narrowing of uses that doesn't permit the preservation of neighborhood service retail, destination retail, and community and cultural organizations. If the chapel wants to stay and serve some sanctuary I don't see why they shouldn't be welcome to do so.

As a personal note, I don't even go to church and even if I did if I had the power to remove one church from Downtown by a similar argument it would be Dallas First Baptist.

You don't know what you're talking about. The Chapel is not giving up any space.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 May 2017 10:51

ArtVandelay wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:

You don't know what you're talking about. The Chapel is not giving up any space.

Considering the dark brown brick building they have always occupied next door to the main chapel space has had a NEW For Lease sign up for months now it seemed pretty self-explanatory. I wasn't accusing them of heresy just making a logical observation based on evidence. Feel free to expand and dissolve my inaccuracies. Inquiring minds would love to eliminate the #fakenews of it all.

muncien

Postby muncien » 09 May 2017 11:25

I remember an article many years back about this church (St Jude Chapel) specifically trying to address the needs of workers, by providing a true 'sanctuary' from the hustle and bustle of the outside world for prayer purposes. I've never been in here, but I know my mother-in-law used to go when she was visiting from out of town and we lived a block away. It's a really unique facility and from what I hear, I'm glad we have it around.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 09 May 2017 11:28

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:

Considering the dark brown brick building they have always occupied next door to the main chapel space has had a NEW For Lease sign up for months now it seemed pretty self-explanatory. I wasn't accusing them of heresy just making a logical observation based on evidence. Feel free to expand and dissolve my inaccuracies. Inquiring minds would love to eliminate the #fakenews of it all.

They have never used the building next door at 1519 Main which was originally built for a bank (Bank of America occupied in the 90s). It was most recently occupied by an oil company.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 09 May 2017 11:33

muncien wrote:I remember an article many years back about this church (St Jude Chapel) specifically trying to address the needs of workers, by providing a true 'sanctuary' from the hustle and bustle of the outside world for prayer purposes. I've never been in here, but I know my mother-in-law used to go when she was visiting from out of town and we lived a block away. It's a really unique facility and from what I hear, I'm glad we have it around.

Yes, it serves a different purpose than the Cathedral on Ross. It's technically not a parish but is open to serve those who have no other place to go, downtown office workers and people visiting. The Priest in charge, Fr. Austin always asks if there are any visitors from out of town and many hands will go up. The Priest who founded the church was a businessman who joined the priesthood later in life and it was his mission to create an 'oasis' from the hustle and bustle of Downtown. Although Downtown and especially the Main St. commercial district has evolved from when the Chapel first opened, it still serves that purpose and is very well attended and supported.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 May 2017 13:24

Thanks for all the information ArtVandelay. I am now better informed.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 09 May 2017 19:58

ArtVandelay wrote:
muncien wrote:I remember an article many years back about this church (St Jude Chapel) specifically trying to address the needs of workers, by providing a true 'sanctuary' from the hustle and bustle of the outside world for prayer purposes. I've never been in here, but I know my mother-in-law used to go when she was visiting from out of town and we lived a block away. It's a really unique facility and from what I hear, I'm glad we have it around.

Yes, it serves a different purpose than the Cathedral on Ross. It's technically not a parish but is open to serve those who have no other place to go, downtown office workers and people visiting. The Priest in charge, Fr. Austin always asks if there are any visitors from out of town and many hands will go up. The Priest who founded the church was a businessman who joined the priesthood later in life and it was his mission to create an 'oasis' from the hustle and bustle of Downtown. Although Downtown and especially the Main St. commercial district has evolved from when the Chapel first opened, it still serves that purpose and is very well attended and supported.

Hustle and bustle of downtown? My how things have changed since they built that church.