Downtown Dallas: Newpark Dallas/Smart District

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: Downtown Dallas: Newpark Dallas/Smart District

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 May 2022 15:03

tamtagon wrote:It was built to support a skyscraper.

LOL Sad.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 08 May 2022 15:34

tamtagon wrote:It was built to support a skyscraper.

https://www.aiadallas.org/media/uploads ... ptheme.png

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 May 2022 19:11

Nice!

eburress

Postby eburress » 08 May 2022 19:24

How interesting. I had never seen that illustration but it features a number of never built projects, including the Fountain Place and BoA twin towers.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 May 2022 20:16

Baseball stadium in the background!!

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 09 May 2022 15:05

So many towers in the 80s were supposed to be twins. In a way I'm glad they didn't all get built. Looks a bit goofy.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 09 May 2022 15:19

MC_ScattCat wrote:So many towers in the 80s were supposed to be twins. In a way I'm glad they didn't all get built. Looks a bit goofy.

I agree back then I thought it was cool but glad they did not happen. The only one I thought could have been cool long term was Cityplace.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 May 2022 15:24

They were in such a rush to get as much 1980s office space open in Dallas that throwing up two of the same tower seemed logical and I guess the tenants didn't care. I do wonder what the cost was. I cant imagine architects were being railroaded but simply offering a cheaper price for documents for a second iteration on a slightly different site from the first tower. The Design phase would still probably need to include some studies related to building placement but I guess the computer has made it cheaper to do the documents for two different towers rather than have to wait on a design phase for a second tower and then slowly produce all the construction documents.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 09 May 2022 15:53

Twin BoA towers is silly for sure, but the Fountain Place twins would have been incredible. It helps that Fountain Place looks different from every angle and the twin would have been rotated.
Bums me out that we didn't get it, but I guess the current little brother building we got is okay.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 09 May 2022 17:55

Anyone know what the tower(s) with a dome-like crown (half of a sphere, really) right by Trammell Crow Center is/are (in that drawing)?

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 09 May 2022 18:35

3053227163_c66a91fa82_o.jpg

undefinedprocess wrote:Anyone know what the tower(s) with a dome-like crown (half of a sphere, really) right by Trammell Crow Center is/are (in that drawing)?

Lincoln Complex.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 09 May 2022 18:47

undefinedprocess wrote:Anyone know what the tower(s) with a dome-like crown (half of a sphere, really) right by Trammell Crow Center is/are (in that drawing)?

https://www.aiadallas.org/media/uploads ... l_0512.pdf

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 May 2022 19:06

This really be Dallas and the Multiverse of Madness!

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 17 May 2022 23:02

New $3.5 Billion Dallas District and Its Signature 38-Story Tower to Move Forward With Construction — Newpark is Coming
https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estat ... wer-hotel/

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 May 2022 00:29

Nice PR

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 18 May 2022 01:00

potatocoins wrote: New $3.5 Billion Dallas District and Its Signature 38-Story Tower to Move Forward With Construction — Newpark is Coming

Posted on page 6 of thread. But hey, maybe a second post does the trick to make dirt start to fly. If not soon I’m going to lowes buying a shovel and you can see me on Cadiz street goin at it hard hat and all

Addison

Postby Addison » 18 May 2022 07:54

zblevinz555 wrote:
potatocoins wrote: New $3.5 Billion Dallas District and Its Signature 38-Story Tower to Move Forward With Construction — Newpark is Coming

Posted on page 6 of thread. But hey, maybe a second post does the trick to make dirt start to fly. If not soon I’m going to lowes buying a shovel and you can see me on Cadiz street goin at it hard hat and all

:lol:

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 18 May 2022 09:17

Haha..that makes sense. I was wondering how this news story that I stumbled upon had not already been posted here, but it turns out it was and I just missed it.

Whoops! Hopefully it does help the dirt get flying like you said..haha.

eburress

Postby eburress » 18 May 2022 12:20

CTroyMathis wrote:3053227163_c66a91fa82_o.jpg

Lincoln Complex.

That was one of my favorite unbuilt projects in Dallas from the 80s. I was REALLY hoping this one happened.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 May 2022 12:37

While I still doubt the need for this building if it does go vertical I do think it will get some bites for tenants once it is built. Probably take a few years to fill up though. I just hope further phases happen so we don't get City Place part deux. Having this fairly tall tower and further phases being little 10-15 story apartment high rises will look less than fabulous. I do hope they drop the damn skybridges though with future phases. Makes the buildings look terrible to have those horizontal beams intersecting.

Pinhi

Postby Pinhi » 18 May 2022 16:53

CTroyMathis wrote:3053227163_c66a91fa82_o.jpg

Lincoln Complex.

I remember when those was were proposed and I loved the design then and I still do now. I thought the architecture had a timeless design. Modern but throwback. But the 1980s real estate boom came to an end with the fall in oil prices. Basically.

Addison

Postby Addison » 21 Jun 2022 09:04

Two Big Additions to Dallas Skyline Planned

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/two-b ... d/2996544/

The Dallas City Council votes Wednesday on incentives for two big additions to the skyline.

An 80-story building on North Field Street would become the city’s tallest building, taller than the Bank of America Plaza.

The other project would occupy normally vacant surface parking lots south of Dallas City Hall.

The New Park development on Canton at Akard Streets was a competitor for Amazon’s second headquarters competition four years ago. Now it is moving forward without Amazon.

It will be a 38-story mixed-use high rise with office, apartment, hotel and retail space.

“Dallas is booming right now, especially downtown. If we don’t build up downtown, especially our core, you’re not going to grow the city of Dallas. You’ve got to build downtown, the core,” said Tennell Atkins, chairman of the Dallas City Council Economic Development Committee.

Developer Hoque Global seeks approval Wednesday for $96.1 million in subsidies over future years for the $379.3 million New Park development.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 21 Jun 2022 12:12

Copying & pasting my message from Discord because too lazy to put any more significant effort into writing about the NBC 5 story:
UNDFND | undefinedprocess via Discord wrote:That NBC 5 story is literally horrid
Horrible reporting
Saying Northend's big boy tower is going to be:
1) the new tallest in the city and will be 80-stories!!!!!!!!
2) it'll be 90 stories
Making Steve Brown look consistent, thorough, and accurate.

Big yikes. (And despite reporting like 3 different things in one story, they're all wrong :lol:).

Addison

Postby Addison » 21 Jun 2022 13:00

undefinedprocess wrote:Copying & pasting my message from Discord because too lazy to put any more significant effort into writing about the NBC 5 story:
UNDFND | undefinedprocess via Discord wrote:That NBC 5 story is literally horrid
Horrible reporting
2) it'll be 90 stories

Big yikes. (And despite reporting like 3 different things in one story, they're all wrong :lol:).

Your post (about North End) is in the wrong thread. :P

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 21 Jun 2022 14:20

Addison wrote:Two Big Additions to Dallas Skyline Planned

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/two-b ... d/2996544/

The Dallas City Council votes Wednesday on incentives for two big additions to the skyline.

An 80-story building on North Field Street would become the city’s tallest building, taller than the Bank of America Plaza.

The other project would occupy normally vacant surface parking lots south of Dallas City Hall.

The New Park development on Canton at Akard Streets was a competitor for Amazon’s second headquarters competition four years ago. Now it is moving forward without Amazon.

It will be a 38-story mixed-use high rise with office, apartment, hotel and retail space.

“Dallas is booming right now, especially downtown. If we don’t build up downtown, especially our core, you’re not going to grow the city of Dallas. You’ve got to build downtown, the core,” said Tennell Atkins, chairman of the Dallas City Council Economic Development Committee.

Developer Hoque Global seeks approval Wednesday for $96.1 million in subsidies over future years for the $379.3 million New Park development.

In addition to the incompetence of the journalism, the quote from the Chairman of the City Council Economic Development Committee is nonsensical; if Downtown Dallas is "especially booming" right now, why are we having to subsidize everyone and their brother to get developments going and even to keep existing jobs in central Dallas (see subsidy deal for Neiman Marcus)?

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 21 Jun 2022 14:30

I'm shocked that people think the guy that owns Chop House Burger is going to actually deliver this project. Pie in the sky.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 21 Jun 2022 15:49

Addison wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:Copying & pasting my message from Discord because too lazy to put any more significant effort into writing about the NBC 5 story:
Horrible reporting
2) it'll be 90 stories

Not really considering you're the one who posted the NBC 5 article mentioning both... The article deserved the slander. Carry on, Philly man. :lol: (insert unsupported hot dog emoji)

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Jun 2022 16:30

ArtVandelay wrote:I'm shocked that people think the guy that owns Chop House Burger is going to actually deliver this project. Pie in the sky.

I have no faith in this guy. He announces tons of projects and has yet to even complete anything...

Whatever happened to SoGood?

Addison

Postby Addison » 21 Jun 2022 16:48

undefinedprocess wrote:
Addison wrote:

Not really considering you're the one who posted the NBC 5 article mentioning both...

Yeah, I figured you'd get me there after I posted.

Touche! :lol:
Last edited by Addison on 21 Jun 2022 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

Addison

Postby Addison » 21 Jun 2022 16:48

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:I'm shocked that people think the guy that owns Chop House Burger is going to actually deliver this project. Pie in the sky.

I have no faith in this guy. He announces tons of projects and has yet to even complete anything...

Whatever happened to SoGood?

Apparently, it's NotSoGood.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 21 Jun 2022 17:04

Eff everything. I quit

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Jun 2022 18:05

zblevinz555 wrote:Eff everything. I quit

Quitters never win.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 21 Jun 2022 19:23

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
zblevinz555 wrote:Eff everything. I quit

Quitters never win.

:cry:

I know. I just want Goldman and a shiny new 80 story tower lol

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 24 Jun 2022 11:44

According to city officials, NewPark is also suppose to include a new Dallas Library and Dallas ISD’s new downtown schools.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 26 Jun 2022 15:42

dallaz wrote:According to city officials, NewPark is also suppose to include a new Dallas Library and Dallas ISD’s new downtown schools.

That would be interesting. Assuming that means abandoning the current Central Library and the only building that complement's I.M. Pei's City Hall / Government District.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 26 Jun 2022 21:55

I suspect we'll have to wait for there to be some kind of movement before this development actually becomes a reality. This part of Downtown has been neglected for so long. If the new convention center becomes an actuality, then the area should see a change of fortune for sure.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Jun 2022 08:31

dallaz wrote:According to city officials, NewPark is also suppose to include a new Dallas Library and Dallas ISD’s new downtown schools.

The library is full of homeless people both inside and out. I assume that issue will just follow the new library to a new building.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 27 Jun 2022 09:27

That was one of the city councilors and he seems to think we're getting a new library and three new schools, including a brand new public high school for our almost $100 Million investment (in addition to a new fire station, which is to replace the existing fire station). Pretty sure the only thing we actually get from that list is the replacement fire station (assuming any of this moves forward).

Props to the developers; they are playing the City Council like a fiddle.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 27 Jun 2022 09:50

^^^^Totally forgot to add the link. It starts at 6:20. But it’s interesting to see what they have planned. Like others have stated, I don’t truly believe it until it happens. Yes, the library has hella homeless people. I’ve been there multiple times to witness it myself. That’s gonna be a challenge tbh. But hopefully new development will help clean up the area…at least a little bit. https://dallastx.swagit.com/play/06232022-556

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 27 Jun 2022 10:08

A little off topic, but how has the new library worked out for Austin? I was living there when the new one was built and absolutely love the end result. I'm not sure what the homeless situation was like in the old library and if that changed when they built the new one.

It sounded like their library cost more than anticipated and took a lot longer than anticipated, but I was thoroughly impressed with the end result. Would love to have something along the same lines in our city.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 27 Jun 2022 10:53

dallaz wrote:^^^^Totally forgot to add the link. It starts at 6:20. But it’s interesting to see what they have planned. Like others have stated, I don’t truly believe it until it happens. Yes, the library has hella homeless people. I’ve been there multiple times to witness it myself. That’s gonna be a challenge tbh. But hopefully new development will help clean up the area…at least a little bit. https://dallastx.swagit.com/play/06232022-556

plan ... vision ... fantasy ... bait and switch

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 27 Jun 2022 11:04

dallaz wrote:^^^^Totally forgot to add the link. It starts at 6:20. But it’s interesting to see what they have planned. Like others have stated, I don’t truly believe it until it happens. Yes, the library has hella homeless people. I’ve been there multiple times to witness it myself. That’s gonna be a challenge tbh. But hopefully new development will help clean up the area…at least a little bit. https://dallastx.swagit.com/play/06232022-556
sorry, this is the correct link
https://dallastx.swagit.com/play/06232022-556/34

LPG

Postby LPG » 27 Jun 2022 11:16

The resolution itself contains no reference to DISD, DFD nor a public library. As a consolation, the city does get oversight of the hotel flag. Trade offs!

https://cityofdallas.legistar.com/View. ... 97F62CCE3D

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jun 2022 11:26

^Yeah, those are claims that the developer wants to do in later phases most likely with further city money. This money is solely for this one tower which the city is hoping will kick off development on this site despite Hoque Global not having any lead tenant yet. NorthEnd has Goldmann and Mike is hoping that with a clear line to financing he can snag a lead tenant. Hunt Realty is a big dog they do this stuff so companies like Goldman are willing to sign on the dotted line. Hoque Global is new to large-scale massive mixed-use development. Lead tenants are gonna be wary if he can pull it off so I suspect he needed city approval now to hopefully gain the confidence of a possible tenant and the banks that would front the construction loan. That doesn't mean it's a guarantee but I assume we will know by the end of the year if that money will actually get this tower off the ground.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Jun 2022 11:46

This just smells like another city incentive project not based on any real demand but instead is relying on a basket of items the city can push into this tower to help occupy space and justify it's existence. We have the library, Dallas ISD and maybe Dallas College for starters but no corporate tenants. I don't see how this one makes it.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jun 2022 12:11

Yeah well like I said before I don't think he will build anything unless he gets a tenant. This is just the city showing public support the developer can take to potential tenants and the bank and ask for the construction loan. The bank isn't going to write the construction loan unless he has a tenant. This money from the city won't be paid out unless he gets the thing built and I seriously doubt any money will move into Mike's hands without a lead tenant. If he gets a lead tenant then the project is viable and will go vertical and later phases can be funded based on that success when and IF it happens.

GunnerDallas

Postby GunnerDallas » 27 Jun 2022 12:36

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're referring to Fire Station #18 at 660 N Griffin St as the one being replaced as part of this resolution, not Fire Station #4 which shares the block where the NewPark building site is. And the renderings show NewPark to wrap around the current FS #4 property, so it will remain where it is?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jun 2022 12:41

Some of the renderings seem to suggest that the fire station become a ground-floor business of some sort like a bar or restaurant. I think they want to eventually move out of the fire station from the existing building into something brand new and moved to another part of the NewPark district.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 28 Jun 2022 14:44

I just don't understand how hard it is to land a tenant considering One NewPark has relatively little office space. I understand the caution from companies considering Hoque Global's record is, well... But, hyper-mixed-use tower with huge resi component... Something's definitely up. I find it hard to believe they haven't been able to land a tenant for nearly 2 years... I understand in a massive tower like Field Street Tower (Hillwood's garbage), but here..? Sigh.

And the multitude of stuff they've proposed everywhere else and have made zero progress on is strange, too...

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jun 2022 15:19

It's easy to flash renderings it's hard to get anyone to sign on the dotted line for your vision. Lord knows with one paycheck I could order some renderings of a proposed redevelopment of any site in Dallas and try to cheer it from the mountain top as a possibility if someone would just give me the money. A reputable name in development matters.