McKinney: General Thread

Tnexster

McKinney: General Thread

Postby Tnexster » 03 May 2017 14:13

McKinney green-lights $100 million hotel-conference center

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... nce-center

Amazing how many of these things are going up at once.

Nearby in the City of Allen, construction is underway on a $91 million project that includes a 300-room Marriott Delta Hotel and 90,000 square feet of conference space at U.S. 75 and Bethany Drive.

And The Star in Frisco development that's home to the Dallas Cowboys includes a new Omni Hotel with meeting facilities.

exelone31

Re: McKinney: Craig Ranch

Postby exelone31 » 03 May 2017 16:22

Right, this is in addition to the convention center space that Allen is building near Watters Creek. Is there really that much demand for large meeting spaces that isn't currently being met? I suppose these will be used for weddings, corporate events, etc.

Tnexster

Re: McKinney: General Thread

Postby Tnexster » 30 Aug 2017 15:52

First look: New McKinney mixed-use project by Legacy West team

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -west-team

Developers are giving the first look at the next new mixed-use corporate park planned for North Texas - this time in McKinney.

Called Southgate, the 60-acre development is being planned by part of the same team of builders responsible for the $3 billion Legacy West development in Plano.

The project at the northeast corner of U.S. Highway 75 and State Highway 121, will include office space, apartments, retail and restaurant buildings and a commons area with two acres of green space, water features, outdoor dining and a stage for performances.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Sep 2018 12:13

New Independent Bank Headquarters a Sign of Demand for Office Space in North Texas

http://product.costar.com/home/news/shared/195470

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 28 Nov 2018 23:31

Del Webb starts 537-home older adult community northwest of McKinney

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... t-mckinney

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 29 Jul 2019 18:46

Does anyone here know anything about the Quarry in Mckinney ? it's known as That Dallas Quarry online.
But there's very little information about it other than its on private property and people trespass all the time to take pictures.[img]
16512339352_3efabe81b6_b.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 30 Jul 2019 14:03

Never heard of it even though I used to live relatively close by and probably drove past it a dozen times. Very cool!!

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 30 Jul 2019 16:45

Yep! I didnt hear about it until recently. It's basically in every list about hidden gem's around Dallas. Pictures all over the internet, basically it's an open secret.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Feb 2021 15:25

McKinney office project will kick off next month
Kaizen Development Partners’ building will be one of the largest coming along S.H. 121.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ext-month/

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 24 Feb 2021 16:00

Tnexster wrote:McKinney office project will kick off next month
Kaizen Development Partners’ building will be one of the largest coming along S.H. 121.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ext-month/

Going to be interesting to see how the area around 121 & Alma grows with this project, as well as the various projects currently underway, as well as those that are proposed (some seeming more realistic and closer to groundbreaking, others seeming like nothing more than pipe dreams). The Hub, The Farm (Allen), etc., all around this intersection. Then, there's the supposed ~$460M redevelopment/investment into Craig Ranch, primarily focused (I believe) on the southern side of Craig Ranch closer to 121.

What do y'all think the future of this area holds?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Feb 2021 22:45

Personally, I believe the stretch running from 121 to 75 will be filled with office and mixed use developments. Suburbs are in. If any area is poised to start taking relocations and expansions it's this one.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 27 Feb 2021 14:10

Tnexster wrote:Personally, I believe the stretch running from 121 to 75 will be filled with office and mixed use developments. Suburbs are in. If any area is poised to start taking relocations and expansions it's this one.

So essentially, it’ll kinda be how DNT is from 635 to 121? Lol
I think it’ll be a smaller scale (until you get closer to Plano/Frisco) because McKinney/Allen NIMBYs seem more anti-density

Addison

Postby Addison » 27 Feb 2021 17:15

undefinedprocess wrote:So essentially, it’ll kinda be how DNT is from 635 to 121? Lol
I think it’ll be a smaller scale (until you get closer to Plano/Frisco) because McKinney/Allen NIMBYs seem more anti-density

I do agree with the development not being nearly as intense.

However, besides what you say about McKinney/Allen being more anti-density, developers simply aren't building as much office space as they did pre-COVID (or even pre-Great Recession) which was when DNT from I-635 to Highway 121 was built up.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Feb 2021 10:31

Addison wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:So essentially, it’ll kinda be how DNT is from 635 to 121? Lol

I do agree with the development not being nearly as intense.

However, besides what you say about McKinney/Allen being more anti-density, developers simply aren't building as much office space as they did pre-COVID (or even pre-Great Recession) which was when DNT from I-635 to Highway 121 was built up.

Basically yes, DNT came about at a much different time and although Covid has changed the rules it probably won't stop the march of development. Commercial office development will still come about as that debate is far from over. Who knows what that ultimately will look like but in a post Covid world a new office building might be far more attractive than something older. Larger floor plates and space might be the driving factors in the future which would be good for development along 121. It's basically a blank slate waiting for the next generation of suburban mixed use and post covid development to spring up. Lots of talent on both sides of 121, close to the developments and easy to get to. It's coming, just wait.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 28 Feb 2021 18:20

Do y’all think that development (hypothetical/future) along 121 will ever rival the impact/level of development along DNT, especially (for example) the Galleria area or Legacy?

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 01 Mar 2021 09:16

Since we are talking 10 years into the future and not say like 50, I personally don't think so. I think the suburban stand-alone linear office buildings with the primary decider being high freeway access is done. There are multiple locations even along the G Bush where office buildings have been built spec and have been empty for years. The ones along G Bush/Plano Parkway in Plano are emptying out. The ones on US75 aren't seeing strong leasing action. Even along the DNT in Plano, the last open spaces are being used for other things, not office, so they don't seem to be anticipating lots of office demand in the near future.

The mixed-use thing with office buildings clustered is going to reign supreme for a while. This means that in some spots along 121 there will be some clustered office, but most will be low-value chain restaurants and car dealerships.

Addison

Postby Addison » 01 Mar 2021 10:08

The_Overdog wrote:Since we are talking 10 years into the future and not say like 50, I personally don't think so. I think the suburban stand-alone linear office buildings with the primary decider being high freeway access is done. There are multiple locations even along the G Bush where office buildings have been built spec and have been empty for years. The ones along G Bush/Plano Parkway in Plano are emptying out. The ones on US75 aren't seeing strong leasing action. Even along the DNT in Plano, the last open spaces are being used for other things, not office, so they don't seem to be anticipating lots of office demand in the near future.

The mixed-use thing with office buildings clustered is going to reign supreme for a while. This means that in some spots along 121 there will be some clustered office, but most will be low-value chain restaurants and car dealerships.

Agreed, along with some distribution centers and apartments (much to the chagrin of NIMBYs).

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 01 Mar 2021 10:59

and apartments (much to the chagrin of NIMBYs).

And me, since living adjacent to a highway is really unhealthy, but we built so dang highways we pretty much have no choice.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 01 Mar 2021 12:52

I would love to see a ton more high density (vertical too please) residential in areas along DNT & 75… But NIMBY!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Mar 2021 09:28

RELOCATION STATION: 73 corporate prospects are eyeing McKinney, city official says

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... 7#cxrecs_s

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 29 Mar 2021 11:46

Tnexster wrote:RELOCATION STATION: 73 corporate prospects are eyeing McKinney, city official says

I wonder how many of those prospects are from Dallas, Richardson, Plano, etc.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Mar 2021 13:59

Tucy wrote:
Tnexster wrote:RELOCATION STATION: 73 corporate prospects are eyeing McKinney, city official says

I wonder how many of those prospects are from Dallas, Richardson, Plano, etc.

Don't know, but that number is strikingly similar to the Dallas Regional Chamber number.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 17 May 2021 16:35

District 121 officially under construction.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2021/05/14/construction-starts-on-mckinney-office-tower/

Will be interesting to see how the area around 121 & Alma progresses over the next few years with this, Hub 121, Independent Financial's HQ expansion, The Farm on the SE corner in Allen, and Allen Gateway/whatever they're calling it on the SW corner.

It's all very lackluster, I know, very suburban office/faux-urban. But, with some of the other work and that $400M project in the "core" of Craig Ranch, I wonder how much of a draw this area will be compared to its other suburban rivals (Legacy/Granite Park/Frisco corridor).

Addison

Postby Addison » 28 May 2021 17:14

It's a small win, but sometimes you gotta crawl before you can walk...

AI start-up putting headquarters in McKinney, plans for job growth

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... rters.html

A young company focused on artificial intelligence is putting its roots down in McKinney.

Aiotics has made the city the new locale for its headquarters — and plans to create 20 new jobs over the next three years, according to a statement. Those jobs, which are set to rise to around 22, should have an average salary of $70,000.

It’s a pre-revenue company — and is planning for an AI product release in late 2021. Aiotics was founded in 2017 and formerly was based in Plano, according to CEO Maruthi Karpey.

Aiotics signed a lease for the new business hub at the Barclays Technology Center, 6800 Weiskopf Ave., near Craig Ranch.

Addison

Postby Addison » 06 Jun 2021 22:14

New 460-acre McKinney neighborhood Stover Creek to include single-family homes, townhouses, multifamily

Plans are taking shape to develop more than 460 acres in the outskirts of McKinney into a new residential community called Stover Creek.

The applicant had requested to rezone this property at the north side of FM 1461 and about east of FM 2478 from planned development district and single-family homes to a district that also allows a wider variety of multifamily uses. The request was approved by McKinney City Council at its June 1 meeting. The applicant plans to divide the property into four different tracts.

The first tract would contain the lion’s share of the property at nearly 400 acres and be zoned for single-family residences. The second tract would contain about 7 acres and be zoned for neighborhood commercial uses, such as car washes and drive-in services, city staff said. The third tract would have about 17 acres and be zoned for townhouse development. The last tract would have about 38 acres and be zoned for multifamily with 750 units and three stories.

Addison

Postby Addison » 01 Jul 2021 14:54

McKinney’s new Painted Tree community will have 1,200 homes in first phase

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... liver.html

The new Painted Tree residential community under development in McKinney will have 1,200 homes in its first phase, and built-to-rent homes will also be part of the project, the developers said Wednesday.

Located north of U.S. Highway 380 near Lake Forest Boulevard, Painted Tree — one of the largest residential developments underway in North Texas —will include about 3,400 residential homesites at full buildout ranging from detached townhomes and cottages to larger family homes and some custom homesites. The first phase of the project will also include 275 built-for-rent homes, said Tom Woliver, co-president and founder of Dallas-based Oxland Advisors, the developers of Painted Tree.

Woliver called it a record-breaking phase one delivery.

“This may be the largest phase one in DFW in history,” Woliver said in an interview with the Dallas Business Journal. “It’s a pretty aggressive phase one.”

Oxland Advisors on Wednesday also confirmed a homebuilder line-up for Painted Tree that includes Trophy Signature Homes, Normandy Homes, CB Jeni Homes, Tri Pointe Homes, David Weekley Homes, Highland Homes and Drees Custom Homes.

The 1,100-acre residential community is projected to open in 2022...

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 May 2023 08:43

High-rise JW Marriott in the works for McKinney’s Craig Ranch
Luxury hotel with condos planned at 2,200-acre mixed-use development north of Dallas.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... aig-ranch/

McKinney’s Craig Ranch development is working on plans for a major luxury hotel that would be constructed just north of State Highway 121.

The proposed 19-story hotel will carry a JW Marriott flag and include 290 rooms and about four dozen luxury condominium homes.

Addison

Postby Addison » 18 May 2023 09:29

Tnexster wrote:High-rise JW Marriott in the works for McKinney’s Craig Ranch
Luxury hotel with condos planned at 2,200-acre mixed-use development north of Dallas.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... aig-ranch/

McKinney’s Craig Ranch development is working on plans for a major luxury hotel that would be constructed just north of State Highway 121.

The proposed 19-story hotel will carry a JW Marriott flag and include 290 rooms and about four dozen luxury condominium homes.

So we can apparently support 3 Ritz-Carltons and 2 JW Marriotts, but can't get a Mandarin Oriental, St. Regis or Four Seasons to save our lives...

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 18 May 2023 11:38

And another McKinney story of TxDot adding an inverted deck park near the historic DT for pedestrian safety.

‘Never been about us’: Residents say Highway 5 deck park plan pushes aside East McKinney
Some are concerned the proposed project will cause delays to improvements at other crossings
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2023/05 ... residents/