Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Deep Ellum: Epic ~ Knights of Pythias Temple

willyk

Re: Deep Ellum: Epic ~ Knights of Pythias Temple

Postby willyk » 18 Dec 2020 03:53

eburress wrote:With Uber falling through I'm becoming jealous of Austin's ability to attract Bay Area tech refugees. Even Houston landed HP. Houston.

A contrarian view here, but I am wondering if the thing that is driving Uber to downsize, i.e. improving financial performance, might also drive the HQ to Dallas.

eburress

Postby eburress » 18 Dec 2020 07:51

willyk wrote:
eburress wrote:With Uber falling through I'm becoming jealous of Austin's ability to attract Bay Area tech refugees. Even Houston landed HP. Houston.

A contrarian view here, but I am wondering if the thing that is driving Uber to downsize, i.e. improving financial performance, might also drive the HQ to Dallas.

You very well could be right. Obviously they do have an affinity for the area so let's hope you're right! :)

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Dec 2020 09:44

willyk wrote:

I have wondered the same thing. Seems to be a more popular option these days for California based companies.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Dec 2020 10:17

Although they are supposedly looking to sublease much that new space.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 18 Dec 2020 17:07

willyk wrote:

I thought of that as well, but I remembered that Uber is finishing out their new buildings at the HQ in SF as recently as 2019. I just dont see them abandoning their shiny new building. Then again, if something like that were to happen, i would see it as a bad omen. Dallas has had bad luck in getting company relocations at the tail end of their existence, i.e Blockbuster

But then again, I’m not really sure what to make of the new tech HQ moves in Austin. They’re not « REAL » HQ relocations, more like corporate relocations for tax purposes, with some jobs attached to them, unlike the Toyota US HQ move which was a proper relocation with engineering jobs. Oracle still expects to keep a lot of their Redwood City Jobs. So at the very least we might get something like that in Deep Ellum, a corporate HQ relocation for the purposes of taxes. I mean, i guess we’ll take it. :)

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 02 Feb 2021 20:26

epic.febr.jpg
epic.febru.jpg

Progress on Epic's office tower 2 moves along at a nice clip. It is beginning to emerge from the raised highway through Downtown Dallas joining office tower 1 and the high rise apartment tower.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.