Restaurants: general news/development

exelone31

Re: Restaurants: general news/development

Postby exelone31 » 05 Sep 2019 12:09

Wild Detectives is a real gem, so I have high hopes for Sketches of Spain. Can't wait!

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 05 Sep 2019 15:30

Here's a mega list of restaurant openings put together by CultureMap.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... -openings/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 30 Sep 2019 12:02

Pass The Ketchup, Whataburger, A New Burger Joint Is Coming To Texas

I think this is about the third time I've heard this in recent years, but apparently Fatburger, the west coast fast food chain, wants to come to TX with 25 locations. Dallas, Austin, Houston, and San Antonio are all mentioned, but no location or timeline specifics were part of the article.

https://bisnow.com/houston/news/retail/ ... xas-100108

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 03 Oct 2019 12:58

Loro from Tyson Cole / Aaron Franklin in Austin coming to East Dallas...https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/20 ... st-dallas/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Oct 2019 13:06

Too bad it looks like it will be a suburban-style building with parking lot upfront.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Oct 2019 14:12

I actually think this is great news. Considering what is currently there, and considering the location, I wouldn't really expect anything more than a suburban style restaurant, so I'm completely happy with it. These guys have quite the reputation, so to have them invest in this area is a great sign.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 03 Oct 2019 14:41

DPatel304 wrote:I actually think this is great news. Considering what is currently there, and considering the location, I wouldn't really expect anything more than a suburban style restaurant, so I'm completely happy with it. These guys have quite the reputation, so to have them invest in this area is a great sign.

Eh, I'd rather us stick with Dallas based concepts and grow our own unique food scene. Austin restaurateurs seem to be invading and if it harms our own scene, we just become a satellite chainville of Austin concepts. I fear for Pecan Lodge once Austin-based Terry Black's BBQ opens in Deep Ellum, because I don't know if there's enough business to go around and Terry Black's probably has deeper pockets.

There's already a wonderful Japanese BBQ place nearby called Niwa. Will they be pushed out too by what's newer and shinier? Is this a takeover strategy that Austin restaurateurs are taking by opening up shop right by a matching Dallas concept?

Also, Asian BBQ from a pair of white chefs? Eye roll over here. Very Austin.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Oct 2019 15:05

What you're talking about has been happening both ways, and Dallas-based establishments also 'invade' other cities such as Austin. This is just what happens when a restaurant becomes sucessful, they expand, and sometimes to other cities. We've been getting restaurants from various cities across the country, and have exported our own restaurants to other cities as well. This has been happening forever, and I don't really see the issue with it, especially since it sounds like we're talking about a handful of restaurants coming from Austin.

If this creates a more competitive market, then so be it. People are moving here in droves, so I'd imagine that there is more than enough business to go around. If other restaurants end up failing as a result, then that's just the nature of things. I know it's unfortunate, but we shouldn't deny new businesses setting up shop here to try and protect our own. That just seems absurd and a recipe for failure.

I see this as a win because a well-known team from out of town has decided that this part of Dallas is deseriable enough to invest their money into. It's a great sign for this particular area.

Also, Asian BBQ from a pair of white chefs? Eye roll over here. Very Austin.

I'm not sure why this would be considered an 'Austin' thing. Asian-fusion restaurants are popping up all over the country in every cities' trendy areas. I don't find anything unique about what Austin is doing in their city, so I always get confused when people say something is 'very Austin'.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 03 Oct 2019 15:33

Having been to both, Loro and Niwa are two entirely different things / concepts. Loro is more of an American BBQ with Asian flavors. Niwa is more a traditional Japanese style BBQ, but not remotely BBQ in the American sense of the word. I'd think they'd have very little true overlap.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 03 Oct 2019 16:55

I think this is great news for the area, and definitely welcome concepts from other cities. If the food is great, it doesn't really matter to me who is cooking it.

As for Pecan Lodge, I think they will be just fine, and adding Black's BBQ to the area shouldn't totally knock out their business. Pecan Lodge is amazing. If anything, better places in areas outside of Deep Ellum would pose more of a risk, because that turns those areas into BBQ destinations instead.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 03 Oct 2019 21:45

exelone31 wrote:I think this is great news for the area, and definitely welcome concepts from other cities. If the food is great, it doesn't really matter to me who is cooking it.

As for Pecan Lodge, I think they will be just fine, and adding Black's BBQ to the area shouldn't totally knock out their business. Pecan Lodge is amazing. If anything, better places in areas outside of Deep Ellum would pose more of a risk, because that turns those areas into BBQ destinations instead.

Black's BBQ literally tried to destroy local institution Dallas Comedy Club by buying their building and then trying not to honor the existing lease, calling the fire department on them many times and creating fake fire violations to try to force them to give up their lease or go out of business. They were finally able to work something out after the press got a hold of the issue, but they will be getting zero dollars and cents from my pocketbook based off how they handled it.

"Nothing funny about carpetbaggers trying to run Dallas Comedy House out of Deep Ellum"
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... eep-ellum/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Oct 2019 08:58

What does Black's BBQ have to do with Loro (aside from them both being from Austin)?

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 04 Oct 2019 09:39

DPatel304 wrote:What does Black's BBQ have to do with Loro (aside from them both being from Austin)?

Because my comment referenced the steady stream of Austin chefs opening restaurants in Dallas. How reciprocal is it? I know that the people I know in Austin shudder at the thought of eating in a Dallas based eatery. When I recommended they try Cane Rosso after they opened in Austin, it was like I was asking them to eat raw sewage.

I may be overreacting but our food scene is notoriously fragile. Restaurants seem to have a hard time making it, even good ones. Closures abound. The market is saturated. I would rather protect what we have to maintain a unique Dallas food scene rather than the likes of Uchi, Terry Black's, Loro, TacoDeli, and Torchys take over every corner in Dallas. Call me crazy, that's fine, but you will NEVER see Dallas concepts taking over Austin. Outside of Cane Rosso, I can't think of one restaurant a DFW chef has made popular in Austin. They protect their scene and culture regardless of how much one may like it or not.

Of course we can't "stop" them from coming to Dallas, but we certainly don't have to eat there or support them.

And regarding Black's, how many people do you think are planning to eat BBQ in Deep Ellum every day? Enough for two very high volume BBQ shops (I doubt it)? Why did Black's choose a location practically next to the most successful Dallas BBQ joint versus another busy area? If you don't think Pecan Lodge was on the target list for Black's, then one would not really understand how the restaurant industry really works especially when notable chef's egos are added to the mix. It is definitely targeted to take market share from a local institution and definitely carpetbagging.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Oct 2019 10:43

We are a rapidly growing city and there are going to be people moving into DFW from all over every day, including from Austin. I don't have a problem with it, in fact, I welcome the growth and change. I just really despise the 'us' vs. 'them' mentality. I spent 1.5 years in Austin and couldn't take the toxic attitude that some people there have towards outsiders (mainly Dallasites). I'd hate for DFW to also adapt the same attitude.

I'm a firm believer in the free market, and would hate to try and step in and 'protect' our own against outside business. If restaurants here are failing, then clearly they need to up their game, it's as simple as that. I would love to see more Dallas-based restaurants, but they also need to prove their worth and actually provide a decent product, otherwise they will fail.

I think it may seem like Austin has a better local scene, but that might likely be because it's just a small market. Up until recently, it was likely too small for other people to really care too much to invest it. We're definitely seeing that change though, so, as the city grows, we'll likely see more chains come into the city. We're also overlooking all the older/longer-standing Dallas changes that have long since been in the city like 7-11, Macaroni Grill, etc..

I understand what Black's did was super shady, but, again, I don't see why we should hold this against the team behind Loro. Just because they happen to come from the same city?

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 04 Oct 2019 11:42

I don't mind an influx of restaurants from Austin, Houston, wherever. If the food is good, then great! If those cities don't care for Dallas restaurants moving there, then too bad. It's their loss.

I haven't eaten at Pecan Lodge since they moved to Deep Ellum because of the lines, I doubt that I am alone.

Plus, you've got all the folks who frequented Uptown that will soon be discovering Deep Ellum, so I don't think Pecan Lodge will be hurting.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 04 Oct 2019 12:19

Matt777 wrote:Black's BBQ literally tried to destroy local institution Dallas Comedy Club by buying their building and then trying not to honor the existing lease, calling the fire department on them many times and creating fake fire violations to try to force them to give up their lease or go out of business. They were finally able to work something out after the press got a hold of the issue, but they will be getting zero dollars and cents from my pocketbook based off how they handled it.

Amen.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 04 Oct 2019 12:24

Matt777 wrote:And regarding Black's, how many people do you think are planning to eat BBQ in Deep Ellum every day? Enough for two very high volume BBQ shops (I doubt it)?

There's plenty of demand. Baker's Rib did very well competing against Pecan Lodge for years, and they were in the building next to where Black's is going. They only moved out because their building got sold.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 22 Jan 2020 12:43

Bolsa
The Common Table
LUCK (Local Urban Craft Kitchen)
Feed Company Eatery & Bourbon Lounge
Stephan Pyles Flora Street Cafe
City Cafe

https://outline.com/48gbT3
https://dallas.eater.com/2020/1/22/2107 ... ant-closes

List of restaurants that have closed this month.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 22 Jan 2020 13:07

DPatel304 wrote:
Bolsa
The Common Table
LUCK (Local Urban Craft Kitchen)
Feed Company Eatery & Bourbon Lounge
Stephan Pyles Flora Street Cafe
City Cafe

https://outline.com/48gbT3
https://dallas.eater.com/2020/1/22/2107 ... ant-closes

List of restaurants that have closed this month.

I think Stephan Pyles' Fauna was another one (separate from Flora Street Cafe?)

It's a bummer about Bolsa, but I figured it was a matter of time the bad press around the owners. That restaurant was definitely one of the trend-setters for this area.

The Common Table was great as well. If Gingerman hangs it up as well, that will be two very solid craft beer spots in Uptown gone.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 22 Jan 2020 13:18

I heard some gossip from a very well integrated restaurant owner that has multiple places in Dallas and the metro that a great reckoning is coming as there is too much space in centers for restaurants and the leases being signed are way to high making most concepts unsustainable. We shall see what happens but there used to be more synergy when the retail to restaurant ration was about 70 to 30 today that has almost flipped in reverse.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Jan 2020 10:55

Also, Stone Deck pizza in Deep Ellum is closing citing high rents. Which honestly makes sense for them. They were close to Uber's new digs and I imagine the rate has gone up steadily since they signed.

The Uptown restaurants kinda make sense though The Common Table and The Ginger Man are practically across the street from major mixed-use projects that haven't started yet. Both buildings Gingerman and Common Table need major overhauls. They were old homes that were hastily converted to bars/restaurants and have been worn out in short order. Common Table even said this about their close down. Citing disagreements on the cost to renovate and rent costs. Most of the property owners are holding on to the Uptown price point but the bar patrons have been dwindling due to Deep Ellum and the overall Uptown sag in business as it transitions into its next phase.

Every professional restaurateur I have talked to since I was in Culinary School at El Centro in 2005 has said there was a reckoning coming on the number of restaurants/bars operating in Dallas. Just ask the bible when the end of times is coming it easy to say one is coming it's much harder to say when.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Jan 2020 11:04

Oh yeah, I forgot about Stone Deck Pizza pub. I actually really liked going to that place, and I recall even on Fri/Sat nights, it was still relatively calm in that bar (possibly why they weren't able to justify higher rents).

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Jan 2020 11:15

I think we're seeing a market correction in the traditional restaurant business model where the tenant gets X months free rent, then pays an astronomical market rate for a few months until they can no longer afford it.

Curious to see what the numbers are like for restaurants where the landlord has a stake in ownership, like Headignton Co. does. He can operate his restaurants at a loss if they continue to fill rooms at the Joule, for example.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 23 Jan 2020 15:13

Headington has cut benefits except for top management and has cut food cost. Even a billionaire has their limits to what they will absorb as a loss.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Jan 2020 15:18

But Oil money!!!

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 Jan 2020 15:57

Fort Worth's Heim Barbecue just tweeted earlier today that they'll be opening a new location at the former Mockingbird Diner near Love Field. No timeline mentioned.

https://twitter.com/HeimBBQ/status/1221 ... 69568?s=19

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 27 Jan 2020 16:12

itsjrd1964 wrote:Fort Worth's Heim Barbecue just tweeted earlier today that they'll be opening a new location at the former Mockingbird Diner near Love Field. No timeline mentioned.

https://twitter.com/HeimBBQ/status/1221 ... 69568?s=19

Wow, that is really great news. I like the idea of having that be one of the first things out-of-towners see when visiting too, as opposed to a Dickey's/etc (despite the Dickey's in the Love Field Terminal, of course).

eburress

Postby eburress » 27 Jan 2020 16:48

Awesome! Very excited for this!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jan 2020 16:58

What better to fill a building designed with a church in mind than a BBQ spot. In Texas, BBQ is a religious experience after all.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 28 Jan 2020 14:59

I think they will be open on Sundays which will be a plus as most BBQ is closed on Sundays.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Feb 2020 12:14

The ever-prolific Harwood International is adding another new restaurant concept to its portfolio: Called Harwood Arms, it's a casual pub that aspires to exemplify the best of the British Isles.

Located in the thick of the Harwood district at 2850 N. Harwood St., it'll open in spring 2020, according to a representative from the company.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... wood-arms/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 31 Aug 2020 21:29

The New York City red-sauce restaurant with a “lust for excess” is expected to open in the Dallas Design District on Dec. 1.

Carbone will replace Wheelhouse and Sassetta, two restaurants owned by billionaire Tim Headington that did not reopen after the COVID-19 pandemic hit. Sassetta will likely relocate to downtown Dallas, says Jeny Bania, Headington’s senior vice president of PR and brand marketing.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... in-dallas/

I've never been to this restaurant, but this seems like a pretty big get for Dallas. Unfortunately it looks like we will be losing Wheelhouse and Sassetta in the process, although it seems like Sassetta is 'likely' to relocate to Downtown.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 31 Aug 2020 23:47

Can the downtown restaurant scene recover? Lack of foot traffic is taking its toll

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... -its-toll/

When asked how business was going at his downtown Neopolitan Italian restaurant Partenope, still in its first year of operation, chef and co-owner Dino Santonicola’s answer was to the point — “I have one word for you: bad.”

Downtown Dallas restaurants were given a one-two punch by the pandemic and largely peaceful protests in May that for at least one night turned destructive. Today, with few visitors coming to the historic commercial center, some restaurants are at risk of closing while others work to recuperate.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 Sep 2020 11:14

Its terrible plus its not like special grants can be granted for Downtown cause businesses all over the city are suffering so if they open that Pandora's box its only gonna be bigger and more costly and the city certainly can't print money even though sometimes you cant tell they don't realize they can't.

The sad thing is even my parents and similar aged family members are seriously looking at moving further out because they are afraid of the race war as they see it shown on the cable news channels. They already live in places like Garland , Plano and Mesquite and want to move further out cause they look at my generation right now and blame us for the unrest. Without getting into a fist fight over the political insanity in some of that. The reality is people are making big life decisions on fear but I imagine it depends not only on their political affiliation but there age group. Older continue to run for the hills while younger vary on whether they think the changes are temporary or worth running away from.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 01 Sep 2020 14:25

The long term value for urban Dallas real estate shows to be very strong and with great potential for growth. Dallas is quickly becoming the defacto escape destination from the Right and Left Coast for people and business. This moment is just a short flash in time.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 19 Oct 2020 10:13

Looks like Heim Barbecue will be opening up this week in the former Mockingbird Diner space.
https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... nt-oct-22/
https://outline.com/YZfuTZ

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 19 Oct 2020 11:26

CTroyMathis wrote:Looks like Heim Barbecue will be opening up this week in the former Mockingbird Diner space.
https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... nt-oct-22/
https://outline.com/YZfuTZ

So stoked for this. I haven't been to FTW to visit them yet, but will definitely be checking out the Dallas location.

eburress

Postby eburress » 19 Oct 2020 13:49

Has anybody here eaten at Heim before? I'm hoping they're comparable to Black's, Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, etc.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Oct 2020 15:12

eburress wrote:Has anybody here eaten at Heim before? I'm hoping they're comparable to Black's, Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, etc.

Yeah at the original Fort Worth locale. It's really good! Better than Blacks in Austin in my estimation. Definitely better than lockhart. Not sure about it being better than Cattlelack and pecan Lodge tho

eburress

Postby eburress » 20 Oct 2020 09:09

Awesome, I'm really excited now! Thanks for the review!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 20 Oct 2020 09:54

It's solid BBQ! I personally don't think it's as good as Pecan Lodge or Terry Black's, but definitely in the same ballpark.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Oct 2020 10:57

I've never been, but I've heard good things. Very excited for this one to open up here, it's always good to have more options!

rasec33

Postby rasec33 » 20 Oct 2020 17:10

Kelley USA wrote:It's solid BBQ! I personally don't think it's as good as Pecan Lodge or Terry Black's, but definitely in the same ballpark.

Agree with this. Decent BBQ but not as good as those other two.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 22 Dec 2020 15:30

After 25 years, Flying Saucer in Addison is closing
Owner-operator Shannon Wynne says the lease was up and he’s decided not to renew it.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... -eve-2020/

Sad to see this one go after so long. I wonder if they have plans to open up another location somewhere else in DFW? I'd love to see a Flying Saucer Downtown!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 23 Dec 2020 09:34

It looks like Dream Cafe is taking over the old Christie's location on McKinney Ave...

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021006550

eburress

Postby eburress » 23 Dec 2020 10:04

^ And incidentally I noticed that Christie's Sports Bar & Grill is going in on Greenville Ave in the former Slater's 50/50 space.

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2020/1 ... 20pandemic.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Dec 2020 13:01

Kelley USA wrote:It looks like Dream Cafe is taking over the old Christie's location on McKinney Ave...

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021006550

Good to know! The current location is a bit hidden, so I'm glad to see it get more exposure along McKinney Ave.

Even though the Quadrangle is being re-developed, their current space will remain intact, correct?

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 24 Dec 2020 13:32

DPatel304 wrote:
After 25 years, Flying Saucer in Addison is closing
Owner-operator Shannon Wynne says the lease was up and he’s decided not to renew it.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... -eve-2020/

Sad to see this one go after so long. I wonder if they have plans to open up another location somewhere else in DFW? I'd love to see a Flying Saucer Downtown!

So sad about this... spent a good number of Monday nights here immediately post college enjoying their 3 dollar beers.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 02 Sep 2021 13:46

Cult California Fatburger chain opens first Dallas location in Allen

It will be at Allen Premium Outlets, combo-ed with Buffalo's Express, a wing chain. Fatburger opened a location last year in North Richland Hills, and is in the process of having a location in north Arlington. The article doesn't mention what other DFW-area locations Fatburger might be looking at.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... tacy-road/

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 02 Sep 2021 14:39

I'm amused they want to call Allen a "Dallas location" but not the North Richland Hills one. Neither are in Dallas, neither are in Dallas county, and they're equally as far from Dallas :lol:

But anyways, I've been to the North Richland Hills one and it was pretty good.