Uptown Dallas: Dream Hotel

Brettoj

Uptown Dallas: Dream Hotel

Postby Brettoj » 11 Jan 2017 12:55

I walked by this afternoon and noticed some surveyors on the hotel lot and in front of the law office next door. Maybe they bought that property next door?

Tnexster

Re: Uptown Dallas: Dream Hotel

Postby Tnexster » 12 Jan 2017 22:16

Maybe, hope we hear more soon.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 16 Jan 2017 11:55

From the City Plan Commission agenda for 1/19/17:

* The applicant proposes to increase the floor area by 106,052 square feet, and increase the number of rooms from 128 to 264. In addition, due to the increase in the hotel’s footprint, the maximum floor area for the meeting space will increase from 3,000 square feet to 7,000 square feet and the maximum combined floor area for nonresidential uses in conjunction with a hotel or motel use increase from 7,000 square feet to 9,475 square feet, excluding the meeting rooms.

* PDS No. 111 permitted the development of a two-story above-ground parking structure that had to comply with several design standards. As a result of the increased in land area, the applicant will provide all off-street parking underground; therefore removing the conditions that reference the design standards for the parking structure.

* The loading and unloading area will be located in the rear of the proposed development, which is adjacent to an existing alley. The loading and unloading area will not be visible from the adjacent residential uses.

http://dallascityhall.com/government/me ... .pdf?Web=1

R1070

Postby R1070 » 16 Jan 2017 18:55

I've noticed valets are starting to locate off of McKinney which is helping with some traffic issues.

willyk

Postby willyk » 16 Jan 2017 20:08

maconahey wrote:From the City Plan Commission agenda for 1/19/17:

* The applicant proposes to increase the floor area by 106,052 square feet, and increase the number of rooms from 128 to 264. In addition, due to the increase in the hotel’s footprint, the maximum floor area for the meeting space will increase from 3,000 square feet to 7,000 square feet and the maximum combined floor area for nonresidential uses in conjunction with a hotel or motel use increase from 7,000 square feet to 9,475 square feet, excluding the meeting rooms.

* PDS No. 111 permitted the development of a two-story above-ground parking structure that had to comply with several design standards. As a result of the increased in land area, the applicant will provide all off-street parking underground; therefore removing the conditions that reference the design standards for the parking structure.

* The loading and unloading area will be located in the rear of the proposed development, which is adjacent to an existing alley. The loading and unloading area will not be visible from the adjacent residential uses.

http://dallascityhall.com/government/me ... .pdf?Web=1

Nice dig maconahey...no place but the Forum has stuff this good.

soco

Postby soco » 09 Mar 2017 10:09

A plat request for this property is being circulated, and came across my desk. Perhaps we will start seeing some movement on this project soon.

Mrs. Kravitz

Postby Mrs. Kravitz » 09 Mar 2017 21:36

What is a plat request and what's the likely next step when one is circulating? Thanks

soco

Postby soco » 10 Mar 2017 14:55

I do not work in the development side, I primarily review plats to see how they impact projects I am involved with. Someone with more experience with the development process may want to chime in.

I am over simplifying this but a plat basically is a legal description of a particular piece of property showing boundaries identified through a formal survey. Generally providing a plat to the City for review is one of the first steps in developing a property. Depending on how far along a project is next steps could be addressing zoning issues, developing site plans and submitting them for review, requesting permits, etc.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 10 Mar 2017 16:00

What soco said, but more simply, a plat request means they are either subdividing an existing property into multiple smaller properties or adding a few properties together to create a single distinct property, which can then be developed. A generic term would be 'lot'. They often do this to package land for a sale.

Mrs. Kravitz

Postby Mrs. Kravitz » 10 Mar 2017 18:32

Thanks - that makes sense since they bought the building next door and are planning to combine the two "lots"

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 04 Apr 2017 16:03

Dream Hotel is back in front of City Plan Commission this week to combine the empty lot with 3219 McKinney Ave, so it looks like we do have some forward momentum. It's on page 22 of the docket: http://dallascityhall.com/government/me ... .pdf?Web=1

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 3.55.44 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

willyk

Postby willyk » 05 Apr 2017 04:55

Do they have the Sugar building too?

dch526

Postby dch526 » 05 Apr 2017 09:19

willyk wrote:Do they have the Sugar building too?

Based on the Plat above, it doesn't look like it. New platted boundary stops at the Sugar building.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 05 Apr 2017 09:27

Am I the only one who hopes the Sugar Building stays? It's a nice building and it forces the developers to be creative with the plot of land. Wall-to-wall sites are rare in Dallas and I hope they can make it work.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 05 Apr 2017 21:26

I like the presence of the Sugar building too!

willyk

Postby willyk » 06 Apr 2017 04:06

This will make an interesting block for Uptown with three unrelated "towers" (being generous with Sugar) side by side. Very dense, very urban. And it's somewhat noteworthy that people no longer feel they need a corner lot to do this.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Apr 2017 15:09

ContriveDallasite wrote:Am I the only one who hopes the Sugar Building stays? It's a nice building and it forces the developers to be creative with the plot of land. Wall-to-wall sites are rare in Dallas and I hope they can make it work.

It makes me wonder what in the buildings internal setup is preventing it from being sold and occupied. Owner holding out for a super high price? Maybe the parking is not enough plus a high sale price? I mean with so many buildings going after the creative office space market aka startups/tech companies it seems like this property would be on point for something like that. It's new so that could be keeping it too pricey for a quick flip compared with some historical buildings like old churches and homes. The scale of the building isn't big enough for a traditional multi-tenant setup unless you do more coworking and private offices. Working in commercial office space for the last year makes be super curious about these sites.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 06 Apr 2017 15:42

My best guess is that it was built for a small office / residence originally and has limited parking otherwise it would make for a great co working space.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 06 Apr 2017 18:57

We used to have either someone from Sugar Films or someone involved in building this place on the forum ages ago.

Anyway, here's something from a couple of years ago that should be interesting to some:
http://candysdirt.com/2014/06/23/monday ... lay-sleep/

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Apr 2017 08:24

^I believe the participant worked at Sugar Film. Too bad they up and moved to California.

This building is just waiting for a music/movie mogul with some pet projects to work on....

Mrs. Kravitz

Postby Mrs. Kravitz » 17 Apr 2017 21:27

I don't know if it's possible to see in the old link posted on Candy's Dirt but there's actually a boatload of indoor parking for the Sugar building (considering how small the building is). It was never part of either of the hotel proposals.

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 14 Aug 2017 16:38

Anything happening on this one? It's been months.
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 28 Aug 2017 13:11

According to construction company, demo on law firm may begin end of November and hotel construction early 2018. However they also mentioned that deal is not 100% go yet.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 04 Sep 2017 19:12

http://dallas.towers.net/2017/09/01/whatever-happened-to-the-dream-dallas-hotel

Whatever Happened to the Dream Dallas Hotel?

The original design of the Dream Dallas Hotel by 5G Studio. The office building on the right has since been acquired and a revised design will incorporate that space. Photo courtesy of 5G Studio.

In the fall of 2013, Boutique Hotel News broke the story of New York-based Dream Hotel Group’s plan for a $50 million, 16-story hotel in Uptown.

The development company, then known as Hampshire Hotels Management, purchased a vacant lot at 3207 McKinney Avenue for the project. Amenities were to include a 6,000-square-foot ground floor restaurant, a seventh-floor pool deck and a lounge. Construction was predicted to begin by January of 2014, but that proved to be overly optimistic — news reports followed its progress through the spring of 2015, but still saw no construction start.

The Dallas Morning News reported in March 2015 that construction was “expected to begin next month on a 128-room Dream Hotel.” Initially, 5G Studio Collaborative LLC was the architect.

Between late 2013 and March 2015, the development team had to run through a gauntlet of local groups, including the City Plan Commission and the Oak Lawn Committee. To reduce noise and traffic, plans were changed to put three levels of a five-story parking garage underground, instead of the original one level underground, and the queue for valet parking was moved off-street to an interior courtyard. The height also dropped to 15 stories.

A spokesman for the developer said this raised the project cost to just over $60 million. With the revisions, everything appeared to be in order and the project was finally a go — but more than two years later, the vacant lot is still getting its grass mowed.

According to the Dream Hotel Group website, the Dream Dallas is still “coming soon” to Uptown, so TOWERS Dallas asked DHG’s vice president of communications, Katie Fontana, about its status.

“Dream Dallas is still very much happening. The design has changed dramatically since 2015, but we aren’t ready to share new renderings/details publicly at this time. The hotel is slated to open in 2019.”

— Katie Fontana, Dream Hotel Group

OLC President Brenda Marks managed to fill in some details about the revision. The original project was to be built on the lot between the office building at 3219 McKinney owned by the law firm Waters Kraus & Paul and the film production building at the corner of McKinney and Bowen Street, she said. Months later, the development group put the Waters Kraus & Paul property under contract.

“They then came back to OLC with a different design that incorporates both locations. We went through several months of conversations between the developer and the adjoining townhouse neighbors on Cole [Avenue],” Marks said.

The latest plan was supported by the OLC in late 2016, she added. The deed transfer wasn’t recorded until May 26, 2017, according to county appraisal district records. According to a state filing by the new architect, HKS Architects Inc., the revised project will have 250 guest rooms, various restaurants, meeting room facilities, and a rooftop swimming pool overlooking a three-level parking garage.

HKS revised the project cost estimate to $75 million and stated that construction was estimated to begin November 2017. Coincidentally, Dream Hotel Group was announcing their project around the same time that Trammell Crow Company’s High Street Residential and project partner Principal Real Estate Investors were announcing plans for the 20-story M-Line Tower, which was to be built directly across the street from the hotel.

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 05 Sep 2017 08:19

A few errors in that report I believe ...

JohnMcKee

Postby JohnMcKee » 06 Sep 2017 10:33

I have no inside information but I think it is pretty clear what is going on here, they designed this project with no money to start construction and are shopping it for investors.

The current status is the same as it was from the beginning, construction will start as soon as they have the money which could be tomorrow or could be never.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 07 Sep 2017 12:30

Well they are spending some money! A contractor is drilling core samples through the sidewalk in front of the building to be demolished.

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 07 Sep 2017 13:05

Well they must have some money. A July 18th DBJ article by Candace Carlisle discusses another of their local projects. At a recent Flower Mound EDC meeting the Director announced Dream Hotel's first North Texas facility, a 5-story project in the rapidly-expanding Lakeside DFW district--to operate under Dreams "Unscripted" Brand. Already approved by the city.
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

JohnMcKee

Postby JohnMcKee » 07 Sep 2017 14:31

People always confuse hotel management companies with hotel developers. Dream hotel is a hotel management company, they have a contract to manage the hotel that developer of the hotel is trying to build using outside investors.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 26 Oct 2017 15:07

MrsKravitz wrote:According to construction company, demo on law firm may begin end of November and hotel construction early 2018. However they also mentioned that deal is not 100% go yet.

We had a contractor and two architects from a Salt Lake City firm ride the trolley from Cityplace station to Cole and Bowen to visit the site. They had a roll of drawings.

They said the demo of the law firm will begin in mid-December.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Oct 2017 15:49

Nice update! So when you say demo of the law firm, that's referring to the Sugar building, correct? It's a shame such a nice building has to go, but I'm tired of this lot of land just sitting empty.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 26 Oct 2017 17:18

No, they could not reach a deal for the Sugar building. It will remain.

The building to be demolished is the red building north of the vacant area.

hjkll

Postby hjkll » 26 Oct 2017 22:49

Redblock wrote:No, they could not reach a deal for the Sugar building. It will remain.

The building to be demolished is the red building north of the vacant area.

I kind of wish that red building was staying. It keeps the smaller scale of the street and gives variation to the urban fabric.

Developers in Dallas have an addiction to making their developments nearly or an entire city block and it gives a feeling of fortresses to the street.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 15 Nov 2017 13:08

Some workers showed up this morning to begin preparing for the demolition. They used sledge hammers to knock down some brick work around the entrance to the garage. Then they went into the building to work. No big machines or dump trucks yet.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 15 Nov 2017 15:17

Dare I get my hopes up again...

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 17 Nov 2017 10:37

Demo started.

As neighbors who often work at home, all we requested was a polite heads-up and advance notice prior to the start of work so we could plan accordingly.

No notice given. :evil:

R1070

Postby R1070 » 17 Nov 2017 10:52

I noticed the vacant lot is fenced off and there is some work going on in the old law building.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 17 Nov 2017 11:17

I'm sad to see that brick building go. It's pleasant and human scale. These Dream Hotel people better get it together on this project, and deliver. If not, it's a step backwards for the area to lose that building. I would have much rather had the Sugar building go and the hotel be on the corner.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Nov 2017 14:36

I still can't believe someone cant at least make the sugar building work for a coworking space or something. It would have to be someone who just has the cash to burn at the launch of the project and wants to sublease to offset costs of their own business needs. All the coworking spaces in Uptown closer to Downtown are booked pretty nicely. I can't imagine this even without a dedicated parking solution wouldn't lease up if it was marketed right. Its just has to be too pricey.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 17 Nov 2017 15:03

The Sugar building has not sold yet as they are waiting for me to win the lottery and make it my new home.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 17 Nov 2017 19:54

according to the real estate listing the Sugar Building is listed as "Under Contract". stay tuned.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 17 Nov 2017 20:55

Our luck CVS is going to bulldoze it.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 05 Dec 2017 08:51

The red building adjacent to the empty lot has been fenced in and demo crews have planted their flag outside. Dumpsters are pack outside as well. Looks like the Dream is happening.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Dec 2017 09:40

The demo is definitely happening they have been tearing stuff out for a while now. Let's hope we see a rendering at some point.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 05 Dec 2017 16:43

They blocked off the left lane of McKinney today with a long term construction fence. It will make for some interesting traffic.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 10 Dec 2017 22:37

Dallas Dream Hotel- Opening 2020 according to an article celebrating the new Palm Springs Dream Hotel groundbreaking.

eburress

Postby eburress » 11 Dec 2017 08:14

Jasimm wrote:Dallas Dream Hotel- Opening 2020 according to an article celebrating the new Palm Springs Dream Hotel groundbreaking.

That's encouraging! Also, I'm excited about a Palm Springs Dream - I didn't realize one was opening there but I'm in Palm Springs pretty often, so that's awesome!

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 13 Dec 2017 19:56

Pre-demo is completed for the most part. They were removing "recyclable" material (possibly also referred to as hazardous material). Now apparently on hold until they receive the go-ahead/approval/financing for the actual demo of the red brick building (old law firm). Expected to happen in about two weeks and take 5-6 weeks with groundbreaking immediately after.

The Sugar Building is under contract, scheduled to close December eighteenth. There has been some activity there as of late as well. Supposedly some of the Dream Hotel construction company folks will be renting there for the foreseeable future.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Dec 2017 09:25

Construction office I assume and hotel management as they slowly hire when the building gets further along.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 14 Dec 2017 09:40

Cbdallas wrote:The Sugar building has not sold yet as they are waiting for me to win the lottery and make it my new home.

Would you have it as just one residence? There's lots of potential revenue if the ground floor is split into rentals, even some of the second level.