DFW Economy

Cord1936

Re: DFW Economy

Postby Cord1936 » 04 Sep 2020 12:07

Global Tech Company Shokworks Inc to Move HQ from Miami to Dallas
BY LAUREN HAWKINS • SEP 3, 2020 • Dallas Innovates

Shokworks Inc plans to make a move from Miami to a 4,000-square-foot space around Downtown Dallas in early November. CEO Alejandro Laplana will be based in the new headquarters along with 10 other employees.
For Shokworks, the move to Dallas was strategic.

Dallas has become a spot that tech companies, green energy and financial institutions are pouring into to call home,” Laplana said in a statement. “We believe this is the perfect time for Shokworks to stake our claim.”
Shokworks has over 300 full-time engineers creating both mobile and web-based software solutions on staff. Laplana expects that the company will have more new hires in 2020-2021.

Shokworks will make the headquarters move official on Thursday, September 3, during a reception at The Statler.

https://dallasinnovates.com/global-tech ... to-dallas/

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 09 Sep 2020 07:38

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... -jobs.html

Dallas ranks #3 for tech jobs behind NYC and DC (per this source). Obviously a grain of salt given SF is #5 here.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 09 Sep 2020 11:06

jetnd87 wrote:https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2020/09/08/north-texas-technology-jobs.html

Dallas ranks #3 for tech jobs behind NYC and DC (per this source). Obviously a grain of salt given SF is #5 here.

Might be a classification issue if San Jose and/or the Valley is a separate entry in the list (can't see the article so I don't know).

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 09 Sep 2020 12:14

That's almost always the case because the best labor statistics are updated by the feds and they do them by MSA, not by combined MSAs. San Jose is almost 50 miles from both San Francisco and Berkeley, and in a different MSA, even though some of the suburbs in the middle can commute to both.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 18 Sep 2020 14:34

itsjrd1964 wrote:. . .

JRD, hey a random bird told me Thompson Hotel at 1401 Elm has a pretty extensive pre-opening job listing, for well, not even being opened/finished yet. Might be a different brand, but, hey. Passing it along.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 Sep 2020 15:34

CTroyMathis wrote:

JRD, hey a random bird told me Thompson Hotel at 1401 Elm has a pretty extensive pre-opening job listing, for well, not even being opened/finished yet. Might be a different brand, but, hey. Passing it along.

Good to hear, lots of hard working folks need a job at the moment.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 18 Sep 2020 18:17

CTroyMathis wrote:

Wow, thanks for thinking of me. I am amazingly still employed, and my hotel remains open. We still have a few long-term stays, a few remaining October tornado displacements, a few recent Hurricane Laura evacuees, several families getting kids settled into SMU for the semester, as well as the occasional move-in to the DFW area. I'm sure we could have used the bump from the State Fair/Texas-OU, but maybe next year? Our occupancy % has hovered from the 30s to the low 50s. They've hired a houseman back next door, while our property has gotten 2 housekeepers back and is working to get the lady back that worked my 2 days off pre-virus. The owners are still using what would have been our renovation funds to capitalize us during this time, so it is uncertain when we'll get our next renovation. At least we're not like the SpringHill down the service road, they're still closed--no word on when they'll open back up.

I figured the Thompson, the Pittman, and others *might* have openings, but I'd hate to jump from a sure thing to a new property when most analysts and travel industry folks are thinking it will be 2023-2025 before traffic and revenues resemble those pre-virus.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 21 Sep 2020 14:24

I’ve tried to ignore the drama between our current presidential administration and TikTok of China, but a recent quote from the president noted that Oracle and Walmart were going to buy TikTok and relocate the HQ to the US, “likely Texas.” Eventual employment in the US was stated to be around 25,000.

TikTok already has an office in Austin, but has anyone heard of Dallas being in play for this? If it’s Texas, I can’t see the HQ being anywhere except Austin or DFW. And thankfully, TikTok seems like they’d be an urban core of Dallas type company versus the burbs of Plano/Frisco/Irving.

eburress

Postby eburress » 21 Sep 2020 18:44

One would have to assume Austin would be the favorite but obviously it would be tremendous if TikTok ended up here in Dallas. Imagine them ending up in the rumored high rise at Pearl and Pacific, right near Uber. Man.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 22 Sep 2020 13:51

Lol there is no way TikTok is going to employ 25K people. That is an utter pipe dream. To put this all in context: Twitter has, in total, 5k employees. TikTok is a more challenging software problem to solve, but that work is already done in China. At this point, the current TikTok deal also maintains 80 pct of its ownership to ByteDance. This deal is also changing daily as it's a stupid deal being done exclusively to please our rule-by-tweet president.

TikTok stating that they plan to eventually hire 25k people in the US is being said exclusively so that Trump can tweet out that he just generated 25k jobs, which is a statement that is rube followers will believe and never fact check and not care to remember once it inevitably doesn't occur.

eburress

Postby eburress » 22 Sep 2020 16:39

People aren't rubes because they have a different POV or priorities than you, or they support a different candidate than yours. I really wish people would stop denigrating others based on their political affiliation.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Sep 2020 17:21

I agree the forum should avoid denigrating others based on political affiliation.

But asking about a that deal, calling it a pipe dream and a politically motivated action by the president is what I want to know about too. If politician makes headlines to claim that TikTok could be used as an arm of the Chinese Communist Party to spy on American citizens or cause other mischief, well, then that's true about thing coming out of China with any sort of processing hardware and/or software.

If that is a logical thought process, then was it really a good idea to buy a jet from a bankrupt Russia airline and turn it into Airforce One?

TikTok would have probably land with a North American HQ anyway. I hope it's in Deep Ellum, not because I want the Chinese Communist Party to have a spy network based in East Dallas, but because I want Dallas desk jobs in that part of town.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 22 Sep 2020 23:20

eburress wrote:People aren't rubes because they have a different POV or priorities than you, or they support a different candidate than yours. I really wish people would stop denigrating others based on their political affiliation.

You're correct, having a different POV than me or anyone else doesn't make someone a rube. What makes someone a rube is when they mindlessly follow and believe someone's [his] every word, even when those words are false, and when those falsehoods are so easily fact checked. I'm pretty sure that's close to a dictionary definition of a rube.

eburress

Postby eburress » 23 Sep 2020 06:04

3D Map: The U.S. Cities With the Highest Economic Output

"By this same measure, Texas competes with Canada in terms of pure economic output, despite a total land area that’s 15 times less that of the Great White North."

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/3d-map ... dium=email

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 23 Sep 2020 11:15

If that is a logical thought process, then was it really a good idea to buy a jet from a bankrupt Russia airline and turn it into Airforce One?

Not quite accurate. The aircraft (two of them) were built for Transaero, but never delivered. They're being purchased from Boeing, not Transaero.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 24 Sep 2020 11:43

Not necessarily huge news, just noting it here.

Facebook adding another building, expanding data center capacity at their Fort Worth property:
https://outline.com/PcAHN4
https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021001306 <---Winner, LLC is Facebook

I do find this address rather humorous: 4500 Like Way

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 24 Sep 2020 12:00

Hannibal Lecter wrote:

Not quite accurate. The aircraft (two of them) were built for Transaero, but never delivered. They're being purchased from Boeing, not Transaero.

Yup - it was touted as a money-saving move because demand for 747-8's was zilch even before COVID, so Boeing was willing to sell the two undelivered aircraft they had sitting on the proverbial lot rather than baking in the marginal cost of keeping the line going to build another two passenger model 747-8's (all they were making at the end was freighter models). The AF1 conversion process takes the plane down to the proverbial studs anyway to install specialized equipment, so even if they were truly used aircraft, the Boeing engineers doing the actual conversion in San Antonio would find any tampering or spy gear or what have you.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 Sep 2020 15:15

eburress wrote:People aren't rubes because they have a different POV or priorities than you, or they support a different candidate than yours. I really wish people would stop denigrating others based on their political affiliation.

Cheers! :D

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 22 Oct 2020 12:41

Dallas is 2020’s top commercial real estate market

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... te-market/

Even with the pandemic, Dallas is leading the country in commercial real estate deals.

North Texas topped much larger markets — including Los Angeles and Manhattan — as the U.S. metro area with the largest volume of commercial property transactions, according to a just-released report from Real Capital Analytics.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 28 Oct 2020 13:26

This is HUGE! Dallas looks like it has snagged another Fortune 500 - CBRE!

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ation.html
Last edited by Kelley USA on 28 Oct 2020 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Oct 2020 14:18

Great news! The title says 'Dallas', but the text says 'North Texas' so I wonder exactly where they will end up.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 28 Oct 2020 15:23

DPatel304 wrote:Great news! The title says 'Dallas', but the text says 'North Texas' so I wonder exactly where they will end up.

It is not known what the headquarters move will mean for CBRE's local offices, but sources suggest one possible location for a consolidation could be a recently proposed office tower at 2401 McKinney Ave. in Uptown Dallas. Being developed by Trammell Crow, the 27-story tower will reportedly have 670,000 square feet of office space.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Oct 2020 16:35

Thanks! I should have mentioned that I don't have access to the full article, so it was likely that my question was answered in the body of the article itself.

That particular part of Uptown seems to be very hot these days, so I could totally see this happening!

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 01 Dec 2020 18:26

According to Cushman Wakefield's 3rd Q 2020 Office Market Report, DFW is almost up to 50 Million square feet of vacant office space.

Worse yet, Transwestern has us at 56 Million square feet of vacant office space.

The good news is, we should never ever have to turn away a relocation.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 01 Dec 2020 18:35

Dallas-Fort Worth Leads the Nation in Apartment Demand for Q3 2020
The DFW multifamility market also led in the second quarter with modest gains due to government stay-at-home orders.

BY SANDRA ENGELLAND • NOV 28, 2020 • DALLAS INNOVATES

Dallas-Fort Worth led the nation for apartment demand in the third quarter of 2020, according to a report from RealPage.

The top four markets in the nation were all in the Sunbelt, with Atlanta, Houston, and Phoenix coming in behind Dallas-Fort Worth. North Texas absorbed 8,957 units, Atlanta was at 8,425, and Houston at 7,751. Those top three markets accounted for 17 percent of the nation’s total demand.
Not all metro areas saw increases. New York and San Francisco saw massive move-outs, losing 11,705 and 3,637 units respectively.

Along with occupancy growth, Dallas-Fort Worth led the nation in the number of apartments under construction in Q3 with 40,349 units, 10,000 more than each of the next two busiest multifamily construction markets, Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles.

Article: https://dallasinnovates.com/dallas-fort-worth-leads-the-nation-in-apartment-demand-for-q3-2020/

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 18 Dec 2020 08:43

Dallas-Fort Worth dethrones Manhattan as nation's top CRE investment market, new report says

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... n-cre.html

DFW

Postby DFW » 25 Jan 2021 12:51

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 06 Feb 2021 18:40

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/real ... an-dallas/

Not sure where I should've posted this. Know that Dallas MSA is a much bigger area than Austin MSA. Didn't realize our housing supply plummeted >30% last year. Interested to hear this group's interpretation / reaction to above.

eburress

Postby eburress » 07 Feb 2021 12:17

That is very interesting! Thanks for sharing. The housing market certainly seems to be tightening here but it's good to see actual numbers.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Feb 2021 11:42

I think more of the question is how does this affect new apartment starts in Dallas. Rental apartments have been going like gangbusters before the pandemic and some new stuff has been announced but will we see that seriously slow and will projects be better designed to accommodate the pandemic concerns. We have seen various office buildings either canceled(Central Market office tower in West Village) or office tower designs redesigned to accommodate pandemic standards for health and safety(Victory Park Hillwood Urban project). Things previously seen as super luxury like automatic doors have become a requirement if you are get that big office tenant in this market. Apartments are much smaller potatoes but will the pandemic cause developers to seriously make waves in safer urban housing and increase costs.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 08 Feb 2021 13:09

Definitely going to be interesting to see where apartment starts go in 2021. I work in real estate by day (not an agent, just an office manager), and the single-family side of the market is just absolutely insane right now, and has been for awhile. Really hope apartment starts don't completely crash this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do (depending on how the rest of the year plays out with COVID). Nearly every home that our agents are looking at with their clients is seeing 15-20 offers, with a few hitting the 50+ offer range... Wild.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Feb 2021 14:19

Just think of the projects that are opening up now or soon. At least the existing buildings have some tenants to build on. I have definitely seen rental properties bracing for a bigger hit if all those people bidding on houses actually get something in this current run on the housing market.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Feb 2021 15:50

There will probably be more people move to North Texas this year than last, so don't expect apartment construction to slow. This will likely continue for decades.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 12 Feb 2021 10:41

Dallas County’s talent problem: Collin, Denton and others are poaching workers

Collin and Denton counties are some of the best places in the U.S. to attract and develop talent, a trait crucial to growing businesses and strengthening the economy.

Both counties score high on net migration, education, competitiveness, openings and growth in jobs and skilled jobs, according to Emsi, a labor market data firm in Idaho.

By those metrics, Collin ranked No. 3 last year among 601 counties in the U.S. and Denton was No. 6.

But the same analysis, taken from Emsi’s 2020 Talent Attraction Scorecard, ranked Dallas County at No. 555, putting it near the bottom among large U.S. counties.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/eco ... g-workers/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Feb 2021 13:46

Dallas slipping as a top performer? High housing costs threaten the region’s allure
Amid concerns about the pandemic hurting “superstar” cities, Dallas-Plano-Irving falls to No. 14 in national ranking of 200 large metros.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/eco ... ns-allure/

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 23 Feb 2021 14:22

Plano residents striking down the Plano Tomorrow plan will stand as one of the worst planning decisions that city has ever made and will impact the entire region for years to come.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 24 Feb 2021 09:17

Plano residents striking down the Plano Tomorrow plan will stand as one of the worst planning decisions that city has ever made and will impact the entire region for years to come.

Nah. I've said my piece before about that (non)plan, but the bigger mistake Plano is currently making is not allowing existing apartments complexes to improve via adding minor amounts of density. Planning and Zoning, not city council, has shot down 2 projects with that goal now, and since neither project was inside a 'growth and change' zone, the Plano Tomorrow Plan wouldn't have helped anything. New builds on empty land at various levels of density are still being approved at the same rate as when the Plano Tomorrow Plan was in effect.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Mar 2021 10:42

Jobs coming back from overseas create big opportunity for Dallas real estate — here's how

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... allas.html

In the U.S. specifically, the cost structure, location and tax environments of certain states, such as Texas, will likely attract the most reshoring activity.

"Texas stands to be a real potential winner for all this," Gigerich said. "On two of the three projects we're working on, they’re considering Texas. One is a little further down the road. They’re looking at Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. The other project is in its earlier stages but is considering Texas along with about nine or 10 other states."

Within Texas, both Dallas-Fort Worth and San Antonio could be the biggest beneficiaries of reshoring, Gigerich says.

"Because of the diversity of talent in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, I think Dallas is primed for not only these kinds of opportunities, but we're also working on a couple of pretty significant office deals now that are looking into Dallas-Fort Worth," he said.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Oct 2021 08:51

Dallas area’s office market still burdened by millions of feet of sublease space
Recent additions by Uber and other firms have added to the surplus offices up for grabs in North Texas.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ase-space/

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 11 Oct 2021 08:00

Didn't know where else to post this so posting here...pretty cool. So close to that Alpha designation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comment ... ng9_spots/

Dbrock

Postby Dbrock » 14 Oct 2021 22:33

jetnd87 wrote:Didn't know where else to post this so posting here...pretty cool. So close to that Alpha designation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comment ... ng9_spots/

I was surprised Nashville was considered a gamma city but not Austin.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 15 Oct 2021 10:35

Luxembourg City (pop. <150,000) is ranked completely neck and neck with San Francisco, so take it with a lot of salt

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 Oct 2021 13:16

Isn't Luxembourg where the laws allow all the European banks to operate an office so they avoid paying taxes?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 15 Oct 2021 14:41

Exec: large blocks of sublease space aren't going anywhere anytime soon

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... space.html

According to Transwestern’s Dallas + Fort Worth Industrial Market Q3 report, sublease availability would’ve declined by 100,000 square feet in the third quarter but for two large listings. In Dallas, there were about 8.9 million square feet of space available for sublease in Q3, while in Fort Worth there were about 1 million square feet of space available.

This rate will stay flat or increase until large corporations start making leasing decisions, Kay said. He anticipates that’ll be sometime in Q2 or Q3 next year. In the meantime, many companies are seeking flexible workspaces.

We’ve got a lot of large corporations that are looking at DFW as a potential relocation option, and we’ve seen a fair share of companies come into Dallas. But there are a lot of tire kickers, and I don’t know that we necessarily have anybody that’s ready to make a decision at this point in time (for) a large corporate user space.

Addison

Postby Addison » 15 Oct 2021 18:12

Tire kickers are the worst.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 04 May 2022 15:12

DMN reports that DFW has the fourth largest supply of office sublease space available among all US metro areas -- about 9 million square feet available for sublease.

Biggest subleases available include: the new 20-story Reata Pharmaceuticals tower in Legacy in Plano, and
more than 200,000 square feet in the Epic in Deep Ellum.

I'm trying to make sense of these two fragments: "... sublease availability increased 3.6% in first-quarter 2022, even though . . . tenants continued to lease up sublease space at an impressive clip" and "D-FW sublease inventories were relatively unchanged from year end 2021." Are they suggesting that a 3.6% increase in inventory is "relatively unchanged"?

Steve sort of missed the lede (or buried the lede): availability increased 3.6% "even though tenants were leasing up sublease space at an impressive clip". . . That tell us that sublease space continues to come on to the market at an even more "impressive" clip.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ice-space/

KCHornedFrog

Postby KCHornedFrog » 25 May 2022 15:20

According to CompTIA, Dallas ranked 6th in 2021 for tech jobs and ranks 5th for projected adds in 2022 for about 320k by end of 2022.

https://www.cyberstates.org/pdf/CompTIA_Cyberstates_2022.pdf

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 May 2022 21:24

Crazy that we have more than Chicago. Miami having little is surprising. They're always getting hyped.

Addison

Postby Addison » 26 May 2022 23:10

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Crazy that we have more than Chicago. Miami having little is surprising. They're always getting hyped.

Retirees from New York and wealthy people from Latin America with 2nd homes.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 27 May 2022 09:59

I don't really think of Chicago when I think of tech jobs. Then again, it's a big city, so I'd imagine they have a little bit of everything, but seeing Dallas above Chicago wasn't all that surprising to me.

It was surprising to see Dallas about Seattle, but I guess that is attributed to the size of our respective cities. Same reason why Austin is lower on the list because even though it has the reputation, the size simply isn't there.