Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Dallas Area Rapid Transit

THRILLHO

Re: Dallas Area Rapid Transit

Postby THRILLHO » 04 May 2020 12:38

A 15 year delay!? Wow.
Hopefully that's just the most pessimistic scenario they're considering.

Then again, I have my issues with the D2 project, so maybe this would give them enough time to come up with something better.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 04 May 2020 13:26

Redblock wrote:Covid-19 to delay DART rail projects? Here is a report with a DART letter and Budger and Finance Committee presentation.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus ... s/2361863/

Not surprising - sales tax receipts are gonna take a big hit between the temporary retail closures and the shops that shut down for good as a result. Add to that the reduction in fares (yes, they "lose" money on fares, but revenue is revenue) as more people work from home for a prolonged period, and others start to distrust transit out of sanitary concerns. I don't think this will kill D2 for good, but it probably makes it a 50/50 proposition at this point. Remember that the timeline of the original LPA would have had D2 well underway and probably close to completion by now, but instead some loud people needed to have "a subway" and it's not likely to happen for another 5-10 years, if at all.

It's wild that not six months ago, people on here were writing obituaries for suburban car culture. Now it seems COVID-19 has put Urbanism on the ropes by undermining or outright destroying the "advantages" of urban life.

-Short or walkable commutes - not relevant when your company realizes you can work from home most days
    -Walkable shops and restaurants - more impacted by social distancing and capacity limits than giant big box stores and suburban chains like applebees
    -Car-free life - suddenly any trip over a few miles requires sharing a transit vehicle with potentially hundreds of other people who could be asymptomatic carriers
    -Close-knit communities - the "Karen" stereotype has transformed from conservative suburbanites calling the cops on outsiders to the liberal urbanists reporting their neighbors for having people over or leaving the house for a non-essential reason (just look at the replies on Clay Jenkins' social media accounts - so many people want him to mete out harsh punishments for anyone caught outside)

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 06 May 2020 12:41

20200506_124150.jpg

The installation of the railside 'candlesticks' continues. This is the west side of the platform at the Walnut Hill (Red/Orange line) station.

20200506_124237.jpg

The east side of the same platform.

20200506_124304.jpg

A close-up, which includes a spray-painted spot placed in advance. That was the point that would orient the installers toward centering the set of 'candlesticks' correctly.

So far, I have only seen the newer placements here at Walnut Hill, as well as the Spring Valley station. None yet at Forest Lane, LBJ/Central, Arapaho Center, Galatyn Park, or CityLine/Bush.
(My short commute doesn't take me further than this part of Dallas and into Plano, so I don't know how much farther along DART has gotten on the rollout.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 02 Jul 2020 10:47

DART's platform extension project has finally reached Cityplace/Uptown station: https://dart.org/rideralerts/fullra.asp?id=4974

On weekends through August, the Red line will operate on a single track between Mockingbird and Pearl, with the Blue line turning around at those stations and the Orange Line only running DFW-Bachman.

I guess with the already-reduced frequency due to COVID, they're able to maintain Red Line frequencies with single-tracking. I'm not sure why single-tracking is required, as they never did that with above-ground stations being modified. My understanding is that there's no additional tunneling needed to accommodate longer trains, and this work is purely to rebuild the platform so the "humps" are aligned correctly with the center doors of a 3 car train. The only thing I can think of is they're raising the entire platform area to level-boarding height, but that would cause issues with the stairs/escalators...

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 02 Jul 2020 12:03

The platform is being extending northward. This requires the removal of a cement block wall. One of the tracks needs to be completely closed while this is done.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 02 Jul 2020 12:11

Redblock wrote:The platform is being extending northward. This requires the removal of a cement block wall. One of the tracks needs to be completely closed while this is done.

Gotcha - so the station cutout was dug out to accommodate longer trains, but the extra portion was walled off?

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 02 Jul 2020 23:11

TNWE wrote:Gotcha - so the station cutout was dug out to accommodate longer trains, but the extra portion was walled off?

Yes. If you look outside the windows on the left side of a train when arriving (southbound) or departing (northbound), you can see the area. Until last month or so, there was no finishing on the walls, since it wasn't accessible except to maintenance staff. Now they've begun putting up the framework to finish out the walls to match the open part of the station. This will also mean you won't be able to see the cinderblock wall blocking off the unused landing area for the north mezzanine.
cityplace layout.jpg

I think I got this from the old forum. The false walls are about 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the way up the platform. As fully built out, the platform would be symmetrical north to south; it's why the tilework designs on the walls across the tracks seem cut off.

It's interesting that the plan was originally build out one entrance at both ends; I guess they would've finished out the full length of the station.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 03 Jul 2020 02:29

Did you also have a similar diagram for the deferred Knox-Henderson subway station, northsouth?

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 03 Jul 2020 12:07

No, Only for Cityplace. I tried overlaying the diagram on an overhead view of the Knox/Henderson area, but the locations of the vents and exits don't line up. On one of the DART board's presentations about the 2045 plan a few months ago, there was mention of possibly building out Knox/Henderson station with an rendering of the 3D layout of the station, and it didn't match Cityplace at all. I don't know if is because it was always set up differently, or if because they never dug out all the tunnels in the first place, it would be easier to do a different layout now. I think it had an entrance on either side of Central, with elevators and stairs going straight down to the mezzanine level below the main lanes of Central (as opposed to the diagonal ones at Cityplace), a straight mezzanine between the entrance shafts, and several elevators placed in the middle, going down to the middle of the platforms.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 04 Jul 2020 11:02

Interesting, thanks!

A dream project of mine, if I had a TBM lying around, could be to use the vacant K-H cavern and build a D2.5 subway from there down to Market Center with an intermediate stop around Oak Lawn @ Cedar Springs...

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 07 Jul 2020 12:44

I45Tex wrote:Did you also have a similar diagram for the deferred Knox-Henderson subway station, northsouth?

Here are some other diagrams. All are in the Dallas Public Library available for research (where I found these originally).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dfwcre8ti ... 842236092/

And an old proposal.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 07 Jul 2020 21:48

Ah, so that's where I got it from. Thanks for finding those to begin with.

Looking around your flickr account and dear god that Mill Creek Parkway proposal. Let's be glad that not everything leaves the drawing board.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Aug 2020 13:28

DART has begun placing sanitizer and mask dispensers on every light rail train and streetcar. The picture shows the dispensers mounted near an entrance.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/08/12/dar ... -pandemic/

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 13 Aug 2020 15:28

itsjrd1964 wrote:DART has begun placing sanitizer and mask dispensers on every light rail train and streetcar. The picture shows the dispensers mounted near an entrance.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/08/12/dar ... -pandemic/

Curious how long that will last- bus operators providing masks to passengers who don't have one is fine, but just having an unattended dispenser is asking for trouble. I've lost track of the times I've seen people try grab a handful of masks at stores or businesses where someone is handing them out. I imagine some enterprising person is going to turn DART's good deed into a nice little business reselling masks for $3 a pop

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 14 Aug 2020 04:55

They have a hard enough time keeping the bus/rail timetable racks on board stocked up without somebody making a mess of them, using them for liners when they sit in the seats (or on the benches at bus stops/rail station platforms), or stuffing them with trash. I have a feeling DART will need a bigger budget for this venture than they realize; just like with the rail station elevator/escalator maintenance.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 02 Nov 2020 11:59

DART President Gary Thomas to retire.

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... ire--61981

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 02 Nov 2020 16:03

I rode the red line from downtown to Cityplace this past Saturday out for a long walk and decided to move up to the West Village along our walk. Had not been on the train for a bit due to Covid but it was fine mask on etc. Train smelled clean. Cityplace escalators were working which was a nice surprise. My Go pass app seemed to be better since I last used as well very easy to buy a ticket.

Parker Road

Postby Parker Road » 16 Nov 2020 20:26

Mentioned this in another thread, but will bump it here since it's kinda dead.

https://twitter.com/humantransit/status ... 0400171008
From Jarrett Walker on Twitter:
Dallas bus network redesign: The Board has given direction on how the balance the competing goals of ridership and coverage, and we have now started drafting a proposed plan. @dartmedia

I don't see anything after a quick scan on DART's website, but if anybody has more information on the Board's decision I'd love to hear about it! :D

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 17 Nov 2020 18:53

Parker Road wrote:Mentioned this in another thread, but will bump it here since it's kinda dead.

https://twitter.com/humantransit/status ... 0400171008
From Jarrett Walker on Twitter:
Dallas bus network redesign: The Board has given direction on how the balance the competing goals of ridership and coverage, and we have now started drafting a proposed plan. @dartmedia

I don't see anything after a quick scan on DART's website, but if anybody has more information on the Board's decision I'd love to hear about it! :D

https://www.dart.org/about/board/boardagendas/wholeitem11_10nov20.pdf
Here's the DART Board's most recent briefing on it. Also, here's their presentation to Dallas City Council yesterday, similar presentation but with some differences.

Parker Road

Postby Parker Road » 18 Nov 2020 08:16

https://www.dart.org/about/board/boardagendas/wholeitem11_10nov20.pdf
Here's the DART Board's most recent briefing on it. Also, here's their presentation to Dallas City Council yesterday, similar presentation but with some differences.

Great, thank you!

The City Council presentation is particularly interesting. I'm surprised the share of survey respondents who ride transit frequently is as low as 40%, and that "high coverage" was the design concept that got the highest plurality of votes (31%). Really goes to show how spread out the service needs are here, especially with our tiny fleet.

Look forward to seeing how the frequent routes turn out.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 23 Nov 2020 19:03

Something new today: the train I was on this evening had LED destination signs in place of the old-fashioned scrolling ones. I'd seen references in DART budgets in the last year or two to starting on replacing the signs, but didn't know if it'd been deferred due to COVID. It was an Orange line train (cycle for the words was 2 seconds ORANGE LINE, 1 second PARKER, 1 second ROAD), so I couldn't tell if the sign was capable of producing colors other than orange (i.e. blue text for the Blue line).