Knox District / Knox Park

eburress

Re: Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

Postby eburress » 04 Feb 2020 07:04

Most can go but I do hope they save some of the older buildings along this stretch.

jegchachi

Postby jegchachi » 17 Feb 2020 20:31

update 2/17 - Crane is up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 17 Feb 2020 21:17

Thanks for the update photo. You have the best seat in the house for these projects.

I’m still wondering how RH will handle parking. Are they still doing a garage behind the new store? If so, it’s clearly above ground only.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 17 Feb 2020 21:43

I wonder if Michael Dell is buying land for personal use, or if it will be Dell Computer outpost.

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 17 Feb 2020 21:56

Lol it's funny if you look closely you can see the little leaning tower still standing in front of the Cityplace building!

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 17 Feb 2020 22:09

tamtagon wrote:I wonder if Michael Dell is buying land for personal use, or if it will be Dell Computer outpost.

I assumed this acquisition was to make a mixed use project (similar to Lincoln Prop/Trader Joes) more viable. Adding that slice closest to Katy trail gives them a full city block (except for the single lot with Cafe Madrid in the SE corner). Proximity to the trail would benefit residential more. Before Dell bought this, there was a fantasy rendering which included higher resi buildings here with first floor retail. Of course all bets are off now that Weirs is building a 12 story office building directly across the street, it could be anything.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 31 Mar 2020 21:39

Noticed today that Pottery Barn and several other retailers on Knox have boarded up their windows. I have to assume they plan to be closed for a while and to prevent theft.

I was also made aware that a couple of the apartment projects under construction in the area have applied for permit variances to allow them to work 24/7. I have not seen this myself yet. I believe they are arguing that social distancing is slowing them down and this will help. I think all the rain is what has slowed them down.

If the shell is mostly complete (like Nove at Knox), I can see this as an option. They mostly need to build walls, lay flooring and add appliances. Not sure about exterior noise all night in neighborhoods.

eburress

Postby eburress » 01 Apr 2020 09:03

That's a positive sign to me, the urgency to get these projects done, rather than to stop construction.

You're correct about Pottery Barn and some of the other retailers. They're trying to fend off looters, like the ones who were arrested for attempting to rob Jack & Ginger's over the weekend.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 01 Apr 2020 10:59

"like the ones who were arrested for attempting to rob Jack & Ginger's over the weekend."

They were probably Liverpool FC fans since it's a Manchester United bar.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 Apr 2020 11:08

It's not positive for all the people working from home. They already hate that every part of the city has a new high rise going up and makes leasing interesting cause prospects are constantly avoiding any apartments that the see nearby construction.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 07 Apr 2020 17:44

I guess this is moving forward. Construction fence up today around part of the property (SW corner McKinney and Armstrong). One curious observation, if they are just going to knock it down, why two Porto-potties in back right up against the building?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LongonBigD on 07 Apr 2020 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 07 Apr 2020 17:50

Construction continues at a quick pace at Weir’s Plaza, Broadstone Knox District (SE corner Cole and Armstrong), Nove at Knox, Mill Creek’s Modera Katy Trail (14 story tower at Central and Monticello behind Steinway) and Provident Realty’s new apartment building at McKinney and Hester.

Very slow activity at new RH on Knox. Sign on fence said original completion for Fall 2020. Wonder if there are issues here.

eburress

Postby eburress » 08 Apr 2020 10:52

I hadn't seen any noticeable progress on the Restoration Hardware site in months, well before the pandemic was a consideration.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 08 Apr 2020 11:04

It would be ironic if this is cancelled. I think I remember that the owner of the original building was somewhat reluctant to tear down the old car dealership showroom that sat on the site and housed Restoration Hardware.

The silver lining is that if this does not become RH Gallery, it should be an easy sell to the next developer. I just hope we don't have a gaping hole right in the heart of Knox District for too long.

jegchachi

Postby jegchachi » 10 Apr 2020 12:33

Update 4/10

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Apr 2020 20:42

I can't get over how much underground space this place will have.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Apr 2020 15:06

Have you seen the size of the tower? It's pretty massive for this area. Having a full-sized Weirs furniture store, restaurant and retail space plus several levels of office space it would have to include lots of parking.

LongonBigD

Re: Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Sid

Postby LongonBigD » 20 Apr 2020 16:16

LongonBigD wrote:

I guess this is moving forward. Construction fence up today around part of the property (SW corner McKinney and Armstrong). One curious observation, if they are just going to knock it down, why two Porto-potties in back right up against the building?

I think I guessed wrong. The work going on here is definitely getting ready for new tenants in the old buildings. I would guess there was not enough interest in the proposed building. Meanwhile the neighborhood lost Kozy to Lakewood Shopping Center because of these shenanigans.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 20 Apr 2020 16:17

du-
Last edited by LongonBigD on 20 Apr 2020 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 20 Apr 2020 16:17

LongonBigD wrote:I guess this is moving forward. Construction fence up today around part of the property (SW corner McKinney and Armstrong). One curious observation, if they are just going to knock it down, why two Porto-potties in back right up against the building?

I think I guessed wrong. The work going on here is definitely getting ready for new tenants in the old buildings. I would guess there was not enough interest in the proposed building (i think even a blind person can see why).

Meanwhile the neighborhood lost Kozy to Lakewood Shopping Center because of these shenanigans.[/quote][/quote]
Last edited by LongonBigD on 20 Apr 2020 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 24 Apr 2020 22:42

I’ll just shut up and quit guessing about this site now (McKinney Ave @ Armstrong) clearly I have no clue. As of today, The fence around part of the site has banner signs promoting GFF as architect in whatever is going on here. I don’t think GFF was the designer of the prior renderings associated with this development.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Apr 2020 11:02

I drive by it once a week so I have been waiting for a clue to what is actually happening myself as well. I assume whatever it is they aren't requesting any variances so far so it can't be too drastic of design from what was there and what was proposed in previous renderings.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 05 May 2020 17:53

This appears to be merely a facelift on this old shopping centers’ facade. Better than what was there before I guess. Perhaps this will get a major overhaul in the next cycle.

The crane and elevator silos are for the Broadstone Knox project which is directly across the alley from this.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 20 May 2020 20:12

Shocker (to me at least), there were workers on the RH site on Knox today. I had given up on this. The weeds had grown taller than the columns.

They appear to be placing forms for the exterior wall foundations. There seem to be more materials on-site than I remember as well.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 20 May 2020 20:26

This project (mid-rise apt building at NE corner of McKinney and Hester) has a name (vidorra McKinney Avenue) and a new look. I seem to remember the original renderings were mostly red brick. Sorry for the picture quality.

At least the parking stayed underground and beside the alley. This one remains more pedestrian friendly than the original proposal with its 6-7 story garage base.

dzh

Postby dzh » 20 May 2020 22:59

Now if we can just get the Knoxbridge Apartments and the Slate at Cole Apartments all redeveloped...then this neighborhood will be really rolling. Hopefully some mixed-use like Knox Heights are built soon too

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 21 May 2020 00:16

LongonBigD wrote:Shocker (to me at least), there were workers on the RH site on Knox today. I had given up on this. The weeds had grown taller than the columns.

They appear to be placing forms for the exterior wall foundations. There seem to be more materials on-site than I remember as well.

It’s full steam ahead for RH with plans for a May-ish 2021 opening.

eburress

Postby eburress » 21 May 2020 08:52

^^ After an extensive break! haha

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 May 2020 16:37

Talk to Miramar they own a good chunk of all those garden-style units plus they own The Hudson. Many of the garden-style ones they have been renovating.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 23 May 2020 16:51

NdoorTX wrote:
LongonBigD wrote:Shocker (to me at least), there were workers on the RH site on Knox today. I had given up on this. The weeds had grown taller than the columns.

Do we know for sure if they are building the hotel/guest house portion or is it just going to be an RH Gallery?

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 23 May 2020 23:34

Tucy wrote:
NdoorTX wrote:

Do we know for sure if they are building the hotel/guest house portion or is it just going to be an RH Gallery?

No Guest House. It's going to be a Gallery w/ coffee shop and restaurant. That's it. Period.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 May 2020 10:05

There really should be a nice hotel in this neighborhood by now; at least within the next few years we should expect something 4 star-ish.

Maybe even two or three hotels... one would likely be part of a massive redevelopment on Fitzhugh replacing the hold-out gay caves that found a home during the coming out generations where open gayness only safely anchored forgettable and/or avoidable parts of town; this would be a bridge development between West Village and Knox. Inside the Knox strip we'll have something very nice and big, with a really exclusive brand in that sliver of Dallas west of 75 between McCommas and Montecello.

scott2

Postby scott2 » 24 May 2020 11:55

One of the bars ( Zippers ) has announced it will not reopen so that's a start.I know nothing about Pegasus across the street but that building looks like it's about to fall down on its own.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 24 May 2020 12:09

Zippers was the last of the bars in this little pocket. They are all gone now. Pegasus was purchased by the people developing The Terminal at Katy Trail, maybe as a job site office or marketing center.

eburress

Postby eburress » 25 May 2020 09:26

^ This stretch is really leveling up, with The Terminal, Grange Hall, Beverly's, etc...

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 May 2020 10:29

LongonBigD wrote:Zippers was the last of the bars in this little pocket. They are all gone now. Pegasus was purchased by the people developing The Terminal at Katy Trail, maybe as a job site office or marketing center.

Hmmm, wonder what will become of the Zippers property? It's kind of a narrow strip isn't it? And there is a property next door that might still be occupied?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 25 May 2020 16:08

Zippers is a narrow lot (green in photo). However, there are 7 lots there that have some potential (6 more lots in yellow).

South of Zippers are two lots which have a 4(?) story, dated office building and parking lot. West of Zippers along Fitzhugh is another narrow-lot strip center with horrible parking. There are three lots south of that comprised of SFR turned into a dog hotel, a dentist office, and surface parking.

According to DCAD, most of the lots are already owned by a Single LP. They do NOT own the two narrow lots fronting Fitzhugh. Now might be a good time to strike. The seven lots are large enough for a tower, but knowing the vision of the area....probably just another Aura on McKinney-ish mid-rise, stucco apt building. I would think it would take a few more years before this is redeveloped, hope I’m wrong.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 May 2020 13:22

Probably will get re-leased to vape store that sells CBD products and that will be the end of it.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 27 May 2020 14:45

Baldwin (BLDWN) @ 3205 Knox will close as the company files bankruptcy and is dissolving all stores due to Covid-19 losses.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 10 Jul 2020 11:22

RH is going vertical (took long enough considering there is no sub ground level) but it’s progress. Weirs Plaza has about one more floor of its underground garage to pour and the it will start to be visible.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Jul 2020 11:54

Thanks for the pictures! This one took a while to start to go vertical, but I'm excited to see another tower in this neighborhood.

eburress

Postby eburress » 10 Jul 2020 15:54

It's really sad seeing the pandemic's effect on the Knox Ave retail. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to return.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jul 2020 12:16

Yet Lululemon had a line around the building the other day so you can tell what kinds of businesses are getting priority purchases.

jegchachi

Postby jegchachi » 12 Jul 2020 08:15

Some progress pics on the Knox side ongoing projects!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Jul 2020 09:14

For maximum real estate value and a stable price point, this neighborhood needs six or seven more high rises, spaced to give each a downtown/uptown view, and to enhance the view of the Central corridor from downtown.

This is where art deco architecture would really pay off!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Jul 2020 20:59

So it took about three months to fill that below grade space? Nice updates, thanks for posting!

R1070

Postby R1070 » 12 Jul 2020 22:20

Z Gallerie is now cleared out of their Knox space.

eburress

Postby eburress » 13 Jul 2020 09:14

Yeah, I noticed that on Saturday. Sad. There's a LOT of available space on Knox now.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 13 Jul 2020 09:43

I saw this blurb in D Magazine about Knox Street...

Knox District Shops Shut Their Doors

Once upon a time, Knox Street was the ideal destination for an afternoon of shopping and strolling. Now, however, most of its storefronts are vacant. Res Ipsa, Parachute, and BLDWN have been permanently closed for weeks. Kate Spade New York recently shuttered, too. Aesop’s closure is supposedly temporary, though its windows are boarded up. Froggie’s 5 & 10 Toy Store has moved into a smaller space. The only storefront that seems to be thriving is Lululemon Athletica–the line to enter is almost always wrapped around the block.

To prevent another wave of closings, be sure to shop small next time you feel like splurging. Favor the Kind and Esther Penn, both located on Henderson Avenue, are great places to start.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Jul 2020 10:28

Covid has been hard on retail.