DART: Bus system

DPatel304

DART: Bus system

Postby DPatel304 » 06 Jul 2017 01:23

Figured I could create a thread dedicated to discussion of the bus side of DART (seeing as how we already have several DART threads going under the "Rail" category).

Recently it was announced that there was some shuffling going on among DART members. I believe the short version is that they want to focus more on the city rather than the suburbs (at least that is how I interpreted it):
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... art-board/

It would be great to see more emphasis placed on the bus system if they truly want to improve service in the city. I have no idea how this can be accomplished, but the general consensus seems to be that it can be done, we just need to put effort into it. Another issue is the negative stigma associated with public transportation (specifically buses), but I think DART could try and emphasize the 'green' aspect of riding the bus to try and sell it. It would still be a hard sell, but making people feel environmentally friendly for riding the bus might be a better way to coerce them onto buses.

Anyway, I didn't have any specific news to discuss, I just thought this could be general bus discussion.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: DART: Bus system

Postby tamtagon » 06 Jul 2017 09:07

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/12/08 ... ter-rider/

As Houston's overhaul draws new riders, other cities mulling bus changes

Houston's bus overhaul, planned for years but rolled out literally overnight in 2015, has led to an increase in bus ridership, bucking state and national trends. Many are taking notice.

BY BRANDON FORMBY DEC. 8, 2016

... Houstonians who rely on the regional transit agency more frequently since it dramatically retooled its bus routes and stops last year. That massive overhaul decreased the amount of wait times between buses and simplified route geography so maps were easier to understand and read.

...urban planning experts say system improvements can actually have broader, more dramatic impacts on residents’ quality of life, job access and living costs. They say better public transportation, especially in car-centric urban areas like those in Texas, can also help people pull themselves out of poverty.

“It should go beyond functionality and mobility concerns,” said Shima Hamidi, director of the University of Texas at Arlington’s Institute of Urban Studies. “It should be planned as enablers.”

Dallas has among the highest levels of extreme poverty in the country. More than half of households earn less than $50,000, their median incomes are falling and more than 80 percent of jobs can’t be reached by public transportation in less than 90 minutes, according to a presentation given to the council’s housing committee this week.

There's a lot of work to be done, but the changes in Houston are a very welcomed blueprint to learn from.

As long as DART gets down to the bedrock and creates a system that helps poor people get ahead, then everything else will fall into place.

It's so easy to get lost in a mission like that, but it's no use running if you're on the wrong road. The Largest Light Rail System is stupid when targeting those who would use is as for novelty travel.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 06 Jul 2017 19:05

I'm sure a major overhaul would be expensive, but a minor overhaul should be done in the near term. There are tons of locations where there is no business but a bus stop every 400 feet, and there are other locations somehow with tons of business and traffic but the bus stop is way off on a sidestreet. Its obvious the system wasn't designed for riders, so some minor rationalization of bus stops without even changing routes could be done.

They could also partner with Dallas and the suburbs to make sure bus stops are near sidewalks or other pedestrian infrastructure.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Jul 2017 10:14

The Dallas City Council voted unanimously last fall to make overhauling the bus system a top priority. That decision was cited in a recent effort to replace several of the city’s DART board representatives.

“If we start heading more toward a gridded system, there is an opportunity for more intuition to be built in the network,” he said.
DART officials say they’re working to speed up their long-term plans.
In August, DART will begin tinkering with bus routes that currently have poor on-time performance, mostly during the middle part of the day. Those changes will focus on off-peak times for now because the agency is awaiting the delivery of about 41 new buses.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dart/20 ... -criticism

It's good to hear they are prioritizing this, but it sounds like it still might be a while before this comes close to being implemented.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Jul 2017 10:34

Dallas needs to look at Seattle. They prioritize buses and get people where they need to go on time via buses. Take note Dart.

electricron

Postby electricron » 12 Jul 2017 17:37

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Dallas needs to look at Seattle. They prioritize buses and get people where they need to go on time via buses. Take note Dart.

How many bus systems does Seattle have?
Two!
Two public transportation agencies serve Seattle: King County Metro, which operates local and commuter buses within King County, and Sound Transit, which operates commuter rail, light rail, and regional express buses within the greater Puget Sound region.

DART has more similarities with Sound Transit than it does with King County Metro. Of course King County Metro concentrates on providing great bus services, because that's all it does!

Maybe DART should change? Have FWTA, DCTA, TRE, and DART should run th e buses, with the NCTCOG creating a new separate regional transit system to run the commuter and light rail trains. To do that, state law would have to be changed to allow one. DART would probably have to give up some of its sales tax revenues to allow some of what it has now fund a regional transit system to run the trains. Not only will the tax revenues have to be split, so will all their debts. I have no idea how that can be settled upon legally in any court.........
And if you don't think desenters will not take that issue to court, I have a bridge in New York to sell to you. ;)

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Jan 2018 22:52

DART Demos New Proterra Zero-Emission, All-Electric Buses
The seven zero-emission all-electric buses are partially funded by a $7.6 million from the Federal Transit Administration’s Low or No Emission Vehicle Deployment Program (LoNo Program). The grant also helps fund the infrastructure to charge and maintain them.

DART plans to use the electric buses on D-Link, a downtown circulator route currently subsidized by the city of Dallas and Downtown Dallas, Inc. This smaller Proterra vehicle will be easier to navigate through busy city streets and reduce noise pollution downtown. The electric battery technology is similar to what is used on the Dallas Streetcar.

http://dartdallas.dart.org/2018/01/10/d ... ric-buses/

When I made this DART bus topic, I mentioned they should focus on the 'green' aspect of riding the bus. Looks like that's exactly what they are doing here, and taking it one step further. I love this idea, and I hope it's a hit for them. I think it's great they are starting with the D-Link, which, I believe, is a good way to 'convert' people to bus riders.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 28 Mar 2018 10:20

System changes began this week for DART buses. Not every route will see a change. Website for change info: http://www.dart.org/about/servicechange ... change.asp

* Two long-time route numbers are going away: #1 and #400. The #1 will split into the #81 (Matilda route) and #82 (Skillman route). (Note: this only leaves the #2 route (between downtown and Culver, east of Fair Park) as the sole remaining single-digit bus route in DART's system.) Meanwhile, the #400 will split in two, the #402 and #403. The replacement routes will overlap each other between downtown Carrollton station and the Spring Valley station. The #402 routing will be between downtown Carrollton station and downtown Garland station, while the #403 routing will be from Irving Convention Center station to Spring Valley station.

* Two routes are going away due to low ridership, #723 (Bishop Arts area) and #987 ('Rapid Ride'/express route). Other nearby bus routes will take up the slack in the #723 area, while the #486 and #488 already run along the route which the #987 used. (The #987 ran during morning and evening rush hours, stopping at only a few of the stops already served by the #486 and #488.)

* Two other routes, #346 (circulator route in Plano's Legacy area) and #842 ("Flex" route that connected the Buckner station to areas between LBJ and the Dallas-Seagoville line), will be replaced with "GoLink", a new companion service to DART's "On-Call" program.

* The #24 route's two paths are splitting into 2 different routes. The route that includes McMillan will continue as #24, while the other, which includes Capitol, will be lengthened and given the #84 numbering (the second use of that route number BTW). The route will additionally go north from Mockingbird station, along Greenville, then serve Richland College, turn around, and go back. There will be a stop along Greenville each way at the Park Lane station.

* The #582 will now run between Walnut Hill station and LBJ/Central station, passing the north side of Vickery Meadow, along Abrams, and serve Richland College.

* A new route, #585, will run between the Forest Lane station and the Arapaho Center station. This route will serve Hamilton Park (which lost regular DART service previously for a time), the LBJ/Central station, as well as Walnut, Audelia, and Grove streets.

* The following routes will have schedule changes: #12, #42, #110, #208, #347, #360, #378, #408, #409, #445, #451, #515, #524, #535, #541, #547, #551, #566, #568, #574, #591, #593, #702, #841, #870 

* These routes will have the following frequency changes:
#164 -- Weekday midday 20 to 15 minutes, (40 to 30 on branches)
#378 -- Weekday midday, evening 60 to 30 minutes
#404 -- Saturday midday, 60 to 30 minutes
#428 -- Weekday midday, 35 to 30 minutes, Sunday 60 to 45 minutes
#453 -- Weekday, Saturday midday, 40 to 30 minutes, weekday evenings 60 to 30 minutes
#463 -- Weekday midday, Saturday daytime 40 to 30 minutes
#466 -- Weekday midday & evenings, Saturday daytime, Sunday midday 40 to 30 minutes
#467 -- Weekday midday & evenings, Saturday daytime, Sunday midday 40 to 30 minutes
#554 -- Weekday midday, 40 to 30 minutes
#592 -- Weekday, Saturday & Sunday midday, 30 to 20 minutes

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 03 Jun 2018 18:47

DPatel304 wrote:
DART Demos New Proterra Zero-Emission, All-Electric Buses
The seven zero-emission all-electric buses are partially funded by a $7.6 million from the Federal Transit Administration’s Low or No Emission Vehicle Deployment Program (LoNo Program). The grant also helps fund the infrastructure to charge and maintain them.

DART plans to use the electric buses on D-Link, a downtown circulator route currently subsidized by the city of Dallas and Downtown Dallas, Inc. This smaller Proterra vehicle will be easier to navigate through busy city streets and reduce noise pollution downtown. The electric battery technology is similar to what is used on the Dallas Streetcar.

http://dartdallas.dart.org/2018/01/10/d ... ric-buses/

When I made this DART bus topic, I mentioned they should focus on the 'green' aspect of riding the bus. Looks like that's exactly what they are doing here, and taking it one step further. I love this idea, and I hope it's a hit for them. I think it's great they are starting with the D-Link, which, I believe, is a good way to 'convert' people to bus riders.

I spoke to a D-Link driver today about the electric buses. He said they are still training drivers and should start appearing on the D-Link route in early July.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 16 Feb 2019 15:32

Major Bus Service Additions Proposed For August 2019
A public hearing, preceded by a series of community meetings, has been scheduled to receive comments on major bus service improvements proposed for implementation in August 2019. These changes also represent a major step in the creation of a long-range Transit System Plan for the DART service area.

The community meetings will seek input on long-range opportunities and provide an update on near-term DART projects. Each meeting will include an open house to view displays and discuss DART's 2045 Transit System Plan; highlights of the plan include:
DART's committed capital expansion program;
DART's transit service strategies for the future;
Streetcar and regional opportunities beyond our 13-city service area, and more.
A formal presentation of the August 2019 service change proposals will follow.

https://www.dart.org/meetings/publicmeetings.asp?ID=693

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Mar 2019 12:20

The D-Link is no more. Apparently they are replacing it with some sort of on-demand rideshare service? Seems like a very odd move.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 12 Mar 2019 13:13

I wonder what they'll do with all those electric buses they just acquired. Does seem odd. If you're a rider and you want to take a trip somewhere downtown, at least to me, "on-demand" means a cab, Uber, or Lyft.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Mar 2019 13:14

Dart is so ass backwards...

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Mar 2019 13:17

itsjrd1964 wrote:I wonder what they'll do with all those electric buses they just acquired. Does seem odd. If you're a rider and you want to take a trip somewhere downtown, at least to me, "on-demand" means a cab, Uber, or Lyft.

Yes, this seems like a very strange move, and it'll be hard to compete with Uber/Lyft at this point. The price point is super nice, but it will only serve a very limited number of people that I'm not sure if people will bother with the app or even be aware of the service. I'm in the Turtle Creek area, so I may give this a try if I want to head to Deep Ellum sometime. I'll have to walk to Klyde Warren or the Perot, but that's certainly not a bad journey at all, and the price is great.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 12 Mar 2019 20:30

D-Link got axed because it couldn't meet minimum ridership numbers. It did alright during conventions and whatnot, but day-to-day it was empty. DART had already straightened and simplified its routing from what it had been, to seem less loopy and more direct, but it wasn't enough. Part if its problem was that there is often still a stigma about buses as compared to rail. Be it because of a perception that bus routing can be changed with little notice and be indirect and winding, or a passive/subconscious racial undertone. But honestly, I'm not sure a streetcar would do much better here. Making the connection between the existing lines to create a one-seat ride from the Arts District to Bishop Arts may help, but some parts of downtown just still don't have the population density or consistent attractions to drive ridership.

muncien

Postby muncien » 18 Mar 2019 15:57

I'm curious what kinda vehicles this 'Go-link' will use. If they use shuttles or small buses, it seems like it'll be overkill for $1 rides around town. I love the service idea, but to me, this should be some of those little open air electric golf carts or something along those lines. They seem to grab your attention and would be perfect for those kinds of trips. But that is soooo NOT DART. lol
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 14 May 2019 15:22

As a part of the bus route re-org that straightens and enhances some of the core bus routes, DART ordered 41 new buses, which will notably feature USB charging outlets, in addition to the previously announced vinyl seat coverings replacing the current fabric. They say these new buses will be focused on the enhanced core routes, but they way DART bus ops go, I'd expect to see them used interchangeably on other routes that use 40' buses.

https://www.dart.org/news/news.asp?ID=1392

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 05 Jun 2019 03:17

DART hired Uber to drive around riders. Now, it's considering driverless buses

I'm not exactly sure I'd want to ride on an autonomous bus. Should be interesting to see what the plans are.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transpo ... mous-buses

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 17 Jun 2019 13:57

More on the DART Bus System Optimization- Stop consolidations are being considered for Routes 24, 31, 36, 81/82 (itself a new core frequency route), 111, and 592. Looks like they've released a list of potential stops to be consolidated and have posted signs at all those stops seeking comments. A cursory glance shows that most of these are adjacent to SFR, and in some cases, stops are only 1 block apart.

https://www.dart.org/riding/busstopconsolidation.asp#36

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 25 Jul 2019 16:38

Changes are coming to several DART bus routes starting in August. The new/affected routes will begin their changes on August 12.

https://www.dart.org/news/news.asp?ID=1420

Another thing::::
The monthly passes that were being sold at the DART store and at ticket machines at several train station platforms, are no longer being sold as of July 1. It doesn't mention the monthly passes that have been available at many grocery stores in the past, as to whether or not they are still available. The announcement includes the availability of DART's GoPass prepaid "tap card" as an alternative.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 25 Jul 2019 23:58

Our million-dollar bus doesn't add up. We did the math

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/edit ... t-add-math

muncien

Postby muncien » 26 Jul 2019 15:07

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Our million-dollar bus doesn't add up. We did the math

The busses are overpriced and we should have done better... but this article is very poorly researched and written. It goes on to factor 'upkeep' of the electric busses, but does NOT factor in upkeep for diesel version, even though all other metrics are direct comparison.
Anybody who has ever worked on diesel or electric power trains knows diesel's are ridiculously expensive to maintain, while electric's are almost no maintenance.
They also mention that the excessive weight of the batteries means greater brake ware... But, if we bought busses worth a damn, they have regenerative breaking and the brakes will easily outlast those of a diesel.
It's garbage articles like this that actually make those against electric look truly clueless about the topic.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 28 Jul 2019 09:02

muncien wrote:

The busses are overpriced and we should have done better... but this article is very poorly researched and written. It goes on to factor 'upkeep' of the electric busses, but does NOT factor in upkeep for diesel version, even though all other metrics are direct comparison.
Anybody who has ever worked on diesel or electric power trains knows diesel's are ridiculously expensive to maintain, while electric's are almost no maintenance.
They also mention that the excessive weight of the batteries means greater brake ware... But, if we bought busses worth a damn, they have regenerative breaking and the brakes will easily outlast those of a diesel.
It's garbage articles like this that actually make those against electric look truly clueless about the topic.

Why would regenerative braking cause the brake pads and other brake parts to last longer? (Regenerative braking means they generate electficity. It does not mean they regenerate themselves.)

electricron

Postby electricron » 28 Jul 2019 11:56

Tucy wrote:
muncien wrote:

Why would regenerative braking cause the brake pads and other brake parts to last longer? (Regenerative braking means they generate electficity. It does not mean they regenerate themselves.)

Regenerate braking is generated at the electric motor, not at the brakes! If the electric motor is helping to slow the bus down, that means the brakes have less work to do and wear out slower. Hope this explanation helps!

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 21 Sep 2019 04:14

I have recently been on 2 of the newest DART buses. I'm not sure yet what I think of them compared to the previous ones. Here's a look at the model...

The outside. Headlights are much more visible (similar to the newest Express buses) than the models used up to now. There is a higher roofline. The LED displays on the front and side don't appear to have multi-color capability like the buses have had in the ones used previously.
(photo from DART's website)
20190918_052021.jpg

Looking inside, towards the front. There is still a separating door for the driver to optionally use but this one is darker and is shaped differently than the previous buses. Some drivers like to use them, others don't mess with them. The ceiling in the entry area in this model is lower than the previous bus model. A red LED indicator showing things like upcoming intersections, time/date, and alerts when passengers want to stop, is visible at the point where the ceiling height changes. Previously, these LED displays were all the way to the front of the bus, above the driver's windshield.
20190918_052957.jpg

Further back, but still looking forward. These new models all have new vinyl seats, which are somewhat cushioned. The patterned cloth fabric used previously is being phased out. Also, the new models have much taller and broader windows than before; they are great if riders are into sightseeing. There are 2 monitors, just like the previous bus model, but the screens that show upcoming bus stops have been changed to a different format with a DART-yellow background.
20190921_032853.jpg

20190921_032923.jpg

Now, looking back. These new buses continue the split-level floor and seating that the previous model introduced, but the stair-step between the 2 levels in this bus style is slightly different. It has an angled step between the lower and upper sections.
20190921_032951.jpg

Near the back, the next-to-last set of seats are mounted sideways. For the first time with this model, DART buses will start having USB ports on board for use in charging cell phones. Rather than along the walls (like the railcars on TexRail trains), the USB ports are on the base structure underneath each set of seats. They aren't easily seen unless you are right in front of the seat or look under it. Each spot has 2 USB ports. On this seat, the 2 white slots are visible between the seat cushions, with a blue LED light just above the slots.
20190921_032612.jpg
20190921_041151.jpg

I don't know how many buses will have this feature, but 1 of the 2 buses I've been on had this first forward-facing seat (behind the handicap-accessible/senior-citizen sideways seating area), fixed up with different-color vinyl (almost DART-yellow), and an embroidered message to remember the late Rosa Parks. On a few previous occasions, DART would remember Rosa Parks with a covering over the first forward-facing seat and a similar message. It wasn't clearly implied that no one was supposed to sit in that seat during those times, but occasionally passengers would sit there anyway. As for this version, this is the first instance I've seen of something that looks more permanent as a remembrance of Rosa Parks.
20190920_025000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 23 Sep 2019 20:03

itsjrd1964 wrote:I have recently been on 2 of the newest DART buses. I'm not sure yet what I think of them compared to the previous ones. Here's a look at the model...

The outside. Headlights are much more visible (similar to the newest Express buses) than the models used up to now. There is a higher roofline. The LED displays on the front and side don't appear to have multi-color capability like the buses have had in the ones used previously.
(photo from DART's website)
20190918_052021.jpg

Looking inside, towards the front. There is still a separating door for the driver to optionally use but this one is darker and is shaped differently than the previous buses. Some drivers like to use them, others don't mess with them. The ceiling in the entry area in this model is lower than the previous bus model. A red LED indicator showing things like upcoming intersections, time/date, and alerts when passengers want to stop, is visible at the point where the ceiling height changes. Previously, these LED displays were all the way to the front of the bus, above the driver's windshield.
20190918_052957.jpg

Further back, but still looking forward. These new models all have new vinyl seats, which are somewhat cushioned. The patterned cloth fabric used previously is being phased out. Also, the new models have much taller and broader windows than before; they are great if riders are into sightseeing. There are 2 monitors, just like the previous bus model, but the screens that show upcoming bus stops have been changed to a different format with a DART-yellow background.
20190921_032853.jpg
20190921_032923.jpg

Now, looking back. These new buses continue the split-level floor and seating that the previous model introduced, but the stair-step between the 2 levels in this bus style is slightly different. It has an angled step between the lower and upper sections.
20190921_032951.jpg

Near the back, the next-to-last set of seats are mounted sideways. For the first time with this model, DART buses will start having USB ports on board for use in charging cell phones. Rather than along the walls (like the railcars on TexRail trains), the USB ports are on the base structure underneath each set of seats. They aren't easily seen unless you are right in front of the seat or look under it. Each spot has 2 USB ports. On this seat, the 2 white slots are visible between the seat cushions, with a blue LED light just above the slots.
20190921_032612.jpg20190921_041151.jpg

I don't know how many buses will have this feature, but 1 of the 2 buses I've been on had this first forward-facing seat (behind the handicap-accessible/senior-citizen sideways seating area), fixed up with different-color vinyl (almost DART-yellow), and an embroidered message to remember the late Rosa Parks. On a few previous occasions, DART would remember Rosa Parks with a covering over the first forward-facing seat and a similar message. It wasn't clearly implied that no one was supposed to sit in that seat during those times, but occasionally passengers would sit there anyway. As for this version, this is the first instance I've seen of something that looks more permanent as a remembrance of Rosa Parks.
20190920_025000.jpg

Now if DART could actually get its 10 year bus system route revamp completed and get people to ride these busses.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Sep 2019 10:12

DART Is (Finally) Ready to Redo Its Bus System
DART has hired Jarrett Walker, the consultant whose firm redesigned Seattle and Houston's networks, to redesign its bus network. In its previous work, Walker's firm improved bus networks by focusing them less on area coverage and more on high ridership. In Houston, his firm's plan doubled the number of both people and jobs within reach of frequent bus service without needing a budget increase. DART aims to roll out the redesigned network by 2022.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... us-system/

I've heard nothing but good things about Seattle's and Houston's bus system, so I'm definitely curious to see how this plays out.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Sep 2019 11:35

Bout time Stupid DART did something smart

saxman

Postby saxman » 26 Sep 2019 13:48

DPatel304 wrote:
DART Is (Finally) Ready to Redo Its Bus System
DART has hired Jarrett Walker, the consultant whose firm redesigned Seattle and Houston's networks, to redesign its bus network. In its previous work, Walker's firm improved bus networks by focusing them less on area coverage and more on high ridership. In Houston, his firm's plan doubled the number of both people and jobs within reach of frequent bus service without needing a budget increase. DART aims to roll out the redesigned network by 2022.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... us-system/

I've heard nothing but good things about Seattle's and Houston's bus system, so I'm definitely curious to see how this plays out.

I was hoping DART would look into what Houston Metro did a couple years ago. I listened to Jarrett Walker on a podcast and he talked extensively about the process of reducing connections by making the system less hub and spoke and more like a grid.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Sep 2019 16:59

saxman wrote:I was hoping DART would look into what Houston Metro did a couple years ago. I listened to Jarrett Walker on a podcast and he talked extensively about the process of reducing connections by making the system less hub and spoke and more like a grid.

Interesting. I'm looking forward to what changes they have in store. We talk about improving rail and streetcars downtown, but an efficient bus system is what will really help serve the urban core.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 02 Oct 2019 12:43

Another D-Town doing a transit study. Sound familiar?

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/02/r ... ne-genova/

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 02 Oct 2019 20:29

Redblock wrote:Another D-Town doing a transit study. Sound familiar?

Seems their issues are very similar to DART’s. Build out a rail network and let the bus system languish.

muncien

Postby muncien » 03 Oct 2019 09:09

Jbarn wrote:
Redblock wrote:Another D-Town doing a transit study. Sound familiar?

Seems their issues are very similar to DART’s. Build out a rail network and let the bus system languish.

Has anyone here ever ridden Denver's rail network? Wow... you think ours has empty trains going to nowhere? Try theirs... They have train stops adjacent to light industrial warehouses withot a soul in site. So bizzarr...

bachmanlad

Postby bachmanlad » 21 Jan 2020 02:46

Walker is going to be keynoting a transit symposium loftily named "The Death and Life of Dallas Transit," hosted by Coalition for a New Dallas. Among other things, he and others will be talking about the Dallas bus system redesign. Hopefully we will get some real info on the plan.

https://www.facebook.com/CoalitionForAN ... 7055911216

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 24 Jan 2020 14:21

Found an interesting nugget in a board briefing on some miscellaneous bus service changes - in addition to discussing the elimination of FLEX routes and making route 706 permanent, slide 7 of this presentation (https://dart.org/about/board/boardagend ... 4jan20.pdf) states that they want to extend Route 52 to Convention Center station, and that "This change allows use of electric vehicles on the route"

Could this be DART's plan for the former D-Link electric buses? Or is it purely hypothetical?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jan 2020 17:45

Does the Convention Center station have an electric bus charging station? I assume this is why extending the route would allow them to use the electric buses.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 26 Jan 2020 23:48

It does. It was made the terminus of D-Link when it switched to electric buses, and now is the terminus of route 749, which now uses the ex-D-Link buses. The requisite investment in a bus charging station is also probably part of why they want to find ways to continue using the electrics.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 27 Jan 2020 11:15

northsouth wrote:It does. It was made the terminus of D-Link when it switched to electric buses, and now is the terminus of route 749, which now uses the ex-D-Link buses. The requisite investment in a bus charging station is also probably part of why they want to find ways to continue using the electrics.

I did not know that 749 was now using the electric buses - I had assumed they were sitting in a parking lot somewhere...

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 28 Jan 2020 11:02

TNWE wrote:
northsouth wrote:It does. It was made the terminus of D-Link when it switched to electric buses, and now is the terminus of route 749, which now uses the ex-D-Link buses. The requisite investment in a bus charging station is also probably part of why they want to find ways to continue using the electrics.

I did not know that 749 was now using the electric buses - I had assumed they were sitting in a parking lot somewhere...

If DART had just parked the electric buses when they shut down D-Link the FTA would have been most unhappy. FTA gave DART a multi-million $ grant to buy the buses and the charging station.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Feb 2020 11:43

In Overhauling Its Bus System, Dallas Faces a Much Different Challenge Than Houston
The chart depicted the share of bus routes in DART’s current system that are designed around providing either coverage or ridership. Today, according to Walker’s analysis, DART’s bus system devotes around 43 percent of its routes toward maximizing the system’s overall coverage, and it dedicates around 56 percent toward enhancing ridership. There is also around 1 percent of routes that are duplicates—redundancies in the system.

At a glance, the chart reinforces common knowledge about DART’s system. The bus network neither excels at offering a reliable transit option nor connecting people to the places where they would like to go. But the breakdown reveals something more.

As Walker explained to the 200 or so people who had gathered in the debate hall in the Old Parkland campus, bus networks can only do one of two things. They can focus on maximizing the amount of space they cover or they can focus on providing the most reliable service. By prioritizing neither and splitting the number of routes dedicated to those two functions down the middle, DART’s current bus system reflects an inability on the part of DART’s board to decide what kind of bus system it wants.

In other words, the problem with DART is DART’s leadership, which has not decided what DART wants to be. The result is a system that tries to do a little bit of everything—to have it both ways with regard to ridership and coverage, and, therefore, it is a system that doesn’t do a good job of anything.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... n-houston/

It's unfortunate to hear that this revamp may be a bit more challenging than expected. I really had high hopes for this project, based on the changes made to Houston's bus network, but it really sounds like there isn't much wiggle room for them to work with.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 04 Feb 2020 18:18

I can't say I'm surprised that the bus system won't be a quick presto-change-o for a local or an outside consultant. The service area is pretty spread out, demand is mixed (some along routes, others in various spots/neighborhoods/corporate/shopping areas), and not every area city participates or wants to participate. The 1% overlap figure probably sounds about right. Any other change to reduce service ends up losing a rider's connections and/or commuting ability--which likely leads to that rider having to get a car or using Lyft/Uber more often.

Currently, the only thing I can see that DART could do at the moment would be to renumber the routes as there are many numeric gaps. In a similar vein, redo the groupings. They're about to do that in one way in June by converting the 5 'Flex' routes into regular routes. They haven't said what numeric grouping the 5 routes will be a part of (maybe 500 (routes that connect to DART rail), or maybe 300 (mostly suburban connecting routes)) yet.

As for any real transformative bus system plan, it will likely be slower in formulating/implementing than some would like.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 26 Feb 2020 10:36

Here is a Texas Tribune article on redrawing Carr's bus map. It will be 2 more years before it is completed.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/02/25 ... utes-2020/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 28 Mar 2020 03:16

DART is making some changes to ensure passengers are well-distanced:

* Interior areas at transit centers that have them, will close. Outdoor areas will remain available.
* Concierges, the information window clerks, will be reassigned to other duties.
* For boardings onto buses that have side doors, those passengers will be asked to enter through the side door (instead of the front door)

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus ... g/2340440/

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 29 Mar 2020 08:41

itsjrd1964 wrote:DART is making some changes to ensure passengers are well-distanced:

* Interior areas at transit centers that have them, will close. Outdoor areas will remain available.
* Concierges, the information window clerks, will be reassigned to other duties.
* For boardings onto buses that have side doors, those passengers will be asked to enter through the side door (instead of the front door)

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus ... g/2340440/

I guess one good thing about DART’s pitiful bus ridership numbers is it is easy to comply with social distancing requirements, considering their busses are usually about 10% occupied.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 30 Mar 2020 12:44

More changes, starting April 6, as DART makes new, and supposedly temporary, schedule adjustments to most bus routes. The bulk of them will have a more-weekend-style timing to them.

https://www.dart.org/about/servicechang ... il2020.asp

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 06 May 2020 19:21

DART has put up a survey about their bus system revamp on their website. I'm not sure how much of an impact our entries will have, but it took me less than a minute to complete:
https://dartzoom.org/survey?fbclid=IwAR ... RnZ6Ue_Zgo

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 08 May 2020 09:36

I took the survey as well, though some questions seemed poorly designed, like the one asking respondents to choose between a scenario where buses ran on parallel streets at lower frequency, with a short 2 min walk from home to the stop (coverage) or a scenario where there was a single route at high frequency with a longer 6 min walk (ridership). However, they didn't mention the possibility of timing routes in the coverage scenario so that someone could catch one route at the top of the hour with a shorter walk, or a different route at 30 after with a longer walk.

DART rail has the same problem - rather than sequencing trains Red-Green-Blue-Orange through downtown so the Red/Blue and Green/Orange overlap sections are running at a 10 minute headway, they have two trains in 5 minutes, then 15 minutes till the next set. I hope the vaunted bus route consultants address the connectivity "cliffs" that exist as a result of trying to "bank" their bus connections.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 08 May 2020 09:47

TNWE wrote:
DART rail has the same problem - rather than sequencing trains Red-Green-Blue-Orange through downtown so the Red/Blue and Green/Orange overlap sections are running at a 10 minute headway, they have two trains in 5 minutes, then 15 minutes till the next set. I hope the vaunted bus route consultants address the connectivity "cliffs" that exist as a result of trying to "bank" their bus connections.

But without that (artificially-created) congestion, their tiny morsel of justification for the D2 line would completely vanish.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 08 May 2020 17:52

^ Keep in mind that DART itself has no desire to build D2.

The push for the subterranean albatross is coming from the Dallas City Council, which has never met a boondoggle it didn't love -- as long as another taxing authority was on the hook for it.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 09 May 2020 16:59

Hannibal Lecter wrote:^ Keep in mind that DART itself has no desire to build D2.

The push for the subterranean albatross is coming from the Dallas City Council, which has never met a boondoggle it didn't love -- as long as another taxing authority was on the hook for it.

In fairness, Dallas City Council has been perfectly happy to use their own taxing authority to fund boondoggles.