Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

emmasensei

Re: Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Postby emmasensei » 29 Jan 2020 10:30

yeah, we should make it an unofficial forum rule that you can't post direct links to articles behind a paywall. It's so frustrating. :lol: (I pay for access to DMN, even though they're incredibly annoying to their subscribers. But I don't subscribe to biznow or bizjournal or whatever it is.)

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Jan 2020 10:33

Used to you could simply post the link in Facebook and opening by way of social media meant they would let you view the article. They went ahead and shut that down so I have had to find other ways to sneak around the paywall when I need to.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 29 Jan 2020 11:07

Just copy the text before the paywall comes up and paste it on a Word doc (⌘A, ⌘C, ⌘V on Mac).

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 29 Jan 2020 11:54

Set your web browser to disable JavaScript on the DMN site and the paywall disappears.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Jan 2020 13:12

Safaris Article Viewer feature works but I am not always on a Mac so I've had to "suffer". Thanks for the tips guys.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 29 Jan 2020 14:54

The owner of Jack & Gingers/ 77 degrees had some code compliance "upgrades" to be made. They had a soft opening of Jack & Gingers, but nothing official. I don't remember exactly what the code issues were though. I will say that if the crowds at both places were anything to go by they should be fine. I'm more of a Jack & Gingers than a 77 degrees person for what it's worth.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Jan 2020 15:01

Def heard from some more people recently who live close enough to 77 Degrees that they have been much happier that 77 has been closed. They assumed it was shut down for noise complaints...if it does reopen once better weather is back it will be the subject of more headlines I'm sure.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 29 Jan 2020 15:48

MC_ScattCat wrote:I'm more of a Jack & Gingers than a 77 degrees person for what it's worth.

Same here. I found it extremely bizarre that the two establishments are in the same building as they seem to be very different in terms of the vibe/crowd.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Feb 2020 07:08

We may be adding Truluck’s to the list of closings soon.

Developer Trammell Crow plans new Uptown Dallas tower project: McKinney Avenue high-rise would be next door to the Crescent
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... r-project/

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 06 Feb 2020 07:42

lakewoodhobo wrote:We may be adding Truluck’s to the list of closings soon.

Developer Trammell Crow plans new Uptown Dallas tower project: McKinney Avenue high-rise would be next door to the Crescent

Lol after all that effort to build the new building. I’d be glad to see that suburban crap fest go, but it just seems wasteful. Maybe Truluck’s can move into the old Circo space at One Uptown. I’m sure they do good business.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Feb 2020 07:58

Matt777 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:We may be adding Truluck’s to the list of closings soon.

Lol after all that effort to build the new building. I’d be glad to see that suburban crap fest go, but it just seems wasteful. Maybe Truluck’s can move into the old Circo space at One Uptown. I’m sure they do good business.

I’m trying to think of any other building that I’ve seen go up and torn down in less than 10 years... perhaps Elan City Lights if it can’t be repaired.

Good riddance to this one, although I’d much rather see TC build a tower on an empty lot.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 06 Feb 2020 11:05

I consider this a lot being filled. It’s just terrible. Now if we could get the stuff across the street to be redeveloped and the Lemmon/McKinney area...

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Feb 2020 11:27

But how will people buy their Dickeys BBQ and $10 a gallon gas.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 06 Feb 2020 11:36

R1070 wrote:I consider this a lot being filled. It’s just terrible. Now if we could get the stuff across the street to be redeveloped and the Lemmon/McKinney area...

Agreed. I'm feeling more hopeful about these other suburban developments being re-developed after this news, though.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Feb 2020 14:26

So this article with the Ginger Man land selling to the owners of the Quadrangle is interesting...
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -purchase/

Since then, Stream Realty has developed a plan to add an office tower and new retail buildings to the Quadrangle site.

Now, the developer has purchased a nearby building on Boll Street that houses the Ginger Man pub.

Stream Realty hasn’t announced any new plans for the property and the Ginger Man plans to keep operating in the building, which was originally a house built before World War II.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 06 Feb 2020 14:41

I'm really hoping the Gingerman sticks around in its current building.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Feb 2020 14:53

Well, the property is pretty limited in size so I don't think they are planning to demo it to build for an additional phase for Quadrangle. They won't need a staging site for Quadrangle work so who knows if this purchase is part of a larger plan to buy up more on that block. There is plenty of old houses right there that could go easily for a larger project now that demand is applying pressure on Uptown.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 20 Feb 2020 08:51

A bit of opening news to offset the rash of start of year closures: https://www.papercitymag.com/restaurant ... and-table/. Concept looks intriguing.

And back to normally scheduled programming, looks like Water Grill farther south along McKinney Ave has closed up shop. They were always "alright", but bummer to see a seafood concept go. Pretty expensive build-out too. Will be interested to see what replaces this + the soon-to-be vacant Perry's + the long-vacant Stampede 66, all along McKinney south of the Crescent.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 20 Feb 2020 09:32

I hate to hear that about Water Grill. It was a beautiful restaurant space! They definitely spent a pretty penny on the build-out. I think they would have been more successful has they build in something like the Union surrounded by The Henry & North Italia.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 20 Feb 2020 09:54

jetnd87 wrote:... the long-vacant Stampede 66, all along McKinney south of the Crescent.

Quick aside about Stampede 66. The Uptown vacancy resulted in them opening up a new space at Watters Creek, on the border of Plano and Allen off of 75. We tried going there for an informal business lunch a few weeks ago and it turns out that the formal dining room for it had actually *just* ended their lunch service option; my guess is due to low traffic. It's not only open as a dinner option and I really can't imagine that it's getting a lot of traffic for that either as it's so closed off and hidden that I'd imagine one hotel guests or convention center guests would visit it.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Feb 2020 09:55

That area right around Klyde Warren and Pearl is just so dead. It's full of high priced valet driven restaurants but not much life. Are there people passing through to the park or walking into the office space sure but after 4 pm its a dead zone much like Downtown was back in the day. Office space with massive parking and high-end steak and seafood restaurants do not create activty.

vman

Postby vman » 20 Feb 2020 11:10

cowboyeagle05 wrote:That area right around Klyde Warren and Pearl is just so dead. It's full of high priced valet driven restaurants but not much life. Are there people passing through to the park or walking into the office space sure but after 4 pm its a dead zone much like Downtown was back in the day. Office space with massive parking and high-end steak and seafood restaurants do not create activty.

I couldn't agree more. When I visit KWP, I'm very casually dressed, sometimes extremely and would feel uncomfortable going into the restaurants around there to eat. Do the people opening up these spots realize that they're surrounding a PARK? Thank goodness for the food trucks!!

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 20 Feb 2020 11:44

Stampede 66 and Water Grill were high end destination restaurants which are having a harder time in Dallas as there are so many new options in that market. At the same time we have a gap down there of more casual options but those models can't pay the extreme rents that are are demanding.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 20 Feb 2020 13:17

Bring in some more casual concepts. We have enough pricey steakhouse in Uptown.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Feb 2020 13:29

The thing is there is a lot of law firms in that area and that's what the steakhouse/seafood businesses seem to be chasing. That and the Crescent Hotel and Ritz Carlton hotel guests. Notice the affordable places are in nearby suburban-style Uptown Plaza that many of us hate. Most of these big office projects want signature restaurants to show off for high-end tenants. Even the Pizza hut strip center is being replaced with a high rise soon. If anyone wants anything that's not the walk-up window at Klyde Warren or Food Trucks then they need to hitch a ride or start walking towards the rest of Uptown.

KRG

Postby KRG » 20 Feb 2020 13:39

Cava just opened right in that spot. Perfect fast casual concept for that immediate area. The casual dining options in the McKinney&Olive plaza are also really great. Roti, Myxt, Malibu Poke, Starbucks reserve. All high quality fast casual. Shake Shack and East Hampton are just up the street off Pearl also. Dunno what you're all wanting in the middle of a high end business district, Olive Garden? (kidding)
Last edited by KRG on 20 Feb 2020 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 20 Feb 2020 13:43

I would think that the rents that these places are commanding make it prohibitive for casual restaurants to move in. I mean you do have Miriam Cocina right on the park. You can get taco and enchilada plates for $12.95. You also have YardBird opening in 3 - 4 weeks. It'll be on the casual side. They'll have sandwiches / burgers under $20 and most main entrees under $30.

Also, if you haven't been to Doc B's it's a super solid place with great service!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Feb 2020 13:54

I mean where are my Whataburger and 100,000th Jimmy Johns location at? And Olive Garden, I love real Italian food but I will gladly go to OG anytime for the fun of it. I mean my life is missing out if I don't get to eat Italian in a pretend Italian villa surrounded by other Americans eating Fettuccine Alfredo soup that they call pasta.

KRG

Postby KRG » 20 Feb 2020 13:59

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I mean where are my Whataburger and 100,000th Jimmy Johns location at? And Olive Garden, I love real Italian food but I will gladly go to OG anytime for the fun of it. I mean my life is missing out if I don't get to eat Italian in a pretend Italian villa surrounded by other Americans eating Fettuccine Alfredo soup that they call pasta.

:lol:

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Feb 2020 15:15

Toluca in Uptown: A First Look and Chat with Co-Owner TJ Franks
https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaura ... e-11876011

Nothing ever seems to do well in this particular spot, so we'll see how long this place lasts. I'm realize I'm getting way ahead of myself, but I'm secretly hoping there is enough demand to just raze and re-develop this whole Gables Villa Rosa complex. It seems like there is demand to be along Cedar Springs Rd and this is also very close to the Katy Trail and not too far from other developments going up at the moment.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 25 Feb 2020 15:29

Probably what will work here is more like a large spa service place. The approach from Cedar Springs is not friendly and the parking is not obvious. I doubt they will be razing something as large as this building is and it is not that old in the scheme of things. They just need to give up on leasing to restaurants.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 26 Feb 2020 20:00

Yeah the Villa Rosa is still relatively new. I think the retail could work there though. The Ill Minster pub seems to be doing well. Put a Gloria's/ Mi Cocina in there and it will be packed

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 23 Oct 2020 09:48

The Nickel and Rye space is now reopened as Turkey DAM, a sports bar with a Cajun themed menu including turkey legs.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... ickel-rye/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 23 Oct 2020 10:38

That little cluster of buildings is one I don’t mind if it doesn’t get redeveloped. It gives some character and variety.

LPG

Postby LPG » 08 Jan 2021 06:47

QuickTrip has leased just over 1 acre at 3512 Cole Ave. in Dallas. Ton Filley and Jack Weir with The Retail Connection represented the tenant

Terrible.

https://www.dmagazine.com/commercial-real-estate/2021/01/deal-ticker-another-california-based-real-estate-firm-relocates-to-dallas/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 08 Jan 2021 09:21

I had heard that QT was eyeing that lot for a while. It’s unfortunate, but that block is simply a lost cause. Hope stuff can build up enough around it to minimize the bad development there.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Jan 2021 10:06

I predict that QT does huge business on that corner. Not a lot of competition and those stores are always busy.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Jan 2021 10:24

Awful news. I had really hoped we were past the point of seeing this suburban developments in prime areas like Uptown.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 08 Jan 2021 21:52

Unbelievable. This city's leadership has learned nothing and has progressed zero. Why.... 30 years after implementing a mass transit rail system.... we are getting parking lots and gas stations next to mass transit stops and there has been zero effort to redesign zoning around transit stops to give that multi-billion dollar investment a chance at ever paying off.... it's just mind boggling.

That block is cursed. This mess, the slap in the face joke CVS, Papa John's founded by Mr. Crazy, and the racist Chinese joke restaurant from San Antonio that was opened and closed in 2 months with the Chinese demon light fixtures.... The awful mural of the cowboy executing the Chinese man was finally removed not too long ago.

willyk

Postby willyk » 09 Jan 2021 10:04

Look on the bright side. Could’ve been a Buc-ee’s.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Jan 2021 10:42

It is odd that no one has been pushing for better land use for such a prime parcel. Even with the CVS you could build a decent multifamily project or office tower on the site. The city turned down a drive thru but def never followed up with any zoning changes to try to curb bad development patterns. Almost across the street we will have a urban central market with office tower and maybe a future hotel tower and then will be a suburban QT. All around this property is denser urban development but this section has managed to stay out of the trend in the area completely. I would hope the West Village owners or the future HEB owners would want something better but hey HEB hasn't even broken ground and who knows West Village owners may see it as competition so they might not care. The land owners on these parcels must not be looking to sell or they want a steep price that no realistic developer is willing to pay.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Jan 2021 10:45

...you gotta have gas stations

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Jan 2021 10:49

Mind you at least its not a 7Eleven which would some how attract even 3 or 4 homeless the day it would open. The only good thing about a QT is they are clean by gas station standards.

dzh

Postby dzh » 09 Jan 2021 12:58

I usually tend to be pretty pro-development, but obviously this gas station is something I would categorize as a "bad development" for the neighborhood. I've never been involved in a neighborhood group that managed to stop a development (a la Sam's club at the Central). Could something like that be done here?

R1070

Postby R1070 » 09 Jan 2021 13:31

I have a feeling the lot with the closed Hot Joy will be combined with this to make one big gas station. There’s already several gas stations around the Uptown area. This is just dumb.

dzh

Postby dzh » 09 Jan 2021 14:20

Can the OLC get involved and start opposing this, or is this outside their range of boundaries?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 09 Jan 2021 16:14

dzh wrote:Can the OLC get involved and start opposing this, or is this outside their range of boundaries?

This is within their range, technically Oak Lawn goes all the way to where McKinney Ave dead ends near NCX. The question is whether something like a gas station even catch their attention? Their record is not good on this small stuff (ie Starbucks & Total Wine on Oak Lawn Ave, CVS right next door) probably because this is all allowed in PD 183 zoning. Time to update the zoning?

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 10 Jan 2021 02:23

A gas station there would make alot of money so I see why QT wants it.
Unless there is a Sam's Club type of protest, the best we can get is pushing them for better design.
Found a similar fiasco in jacksonville, where a gas station was built in their downtown.
They extracted some concessions, and got this design. a building facing the streets.
Easier integration into a pedestrian environment, and fences so people dont get runover.
It's better than a standard gas station I suppose.
Perhaps we can push QT to do one better, with apartments on top of the gas pumps.
970753823_Gi68A-M.jpg

Here's a similar one in Milwaukee
Milkaukee.jpg

And lastly here's an underground one in Paris.
I found lots of interesting gas station designs in Paris.
Either integrated into a multi story development in the 1st floor.
Or hidden underground. I think underground would be an attraction.
People would come to visit, just because it is unique here.
Think of it like a parking garage, but instead of parking, you have gas pumps!
And on top you can have any other kind of development, assuming it is safe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InZS9Pw82Bk
maxresdefault.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dzh

Postby dzh » 10 Jan 2021 17:40

So should someone potentially bring this to the attention of the OLC? Would a simple email to them expressing concerns be enough, or would that email need to come from a member?

Zmitz

Postby Zmitz » 13 Jan 2021 18:56

'Sugar Factory' will open in the Lower Mckinney/Victory Park area later this year (summer or later), replacing a recently closed restaurant. It'll be their first location in TX, not really sure what to make of the concept. It seems to be a fairly high profile kind of place.