Lower Greenville Development

ContriveDallasite

Re: Lower Greenville Development

Postby ContriveDallasite » 26 Jul 2018 02:33

TCR has been really slacking. While I am glad this isn't a podium +5, it's basically the next cheapest thing they could have gotten through the neighborhood association.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jul 2018 08:20

TCR gets work done come hell or high water against the grain of most neighborhood associations except in the case of the Sam's Club. They have become the hometown disappointment from some people's perspective. I am sure their profits look just fine so they are not feeling any concern but it certainly makes me second guess their ability to build a quality product that is good for the short and long term of the area they choose to build in. It's apartments that look like an I-30 Hampton Inn, a suburban Sam's Clubs in the dense inner city, and just ok "craftsman" apartments in an established and well guarded single-family neighborhood.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 26 Jul 2018 08:31

cowboyeagle05 wrote:TCR gets work done come hell or high water against the grain of most neighborhood associations except in the case of the Sam's Club. They have become the hometown disappointment from some people's perspective. I am sure their profits look just fine so they are not feeling any concern but it certainly makes me second guess their ability to build a quality product that is good for the short and long term of the area they choose to build in. It's apartments that look like an I-30 Hampton Inn, a suburban Sam's Clubs in the dense inner city, and just ok "craftsman" apartments in an established and well guarded single-family neighborhood.

I am absolutely not second guessing that they have a well groomed balance sheet and a deal flow to match. I just wish the hometown hero could place a better product in their own backyard. Just look at what Hines has been up to in Houston.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jul 2018 09:16

ContriveDallasite wrote:
I am absolutely not second guessing that they have a well-groomed balance sheet and a deal flow to match. I just wish the hometown hero could place a better product in their own backyard. Just look at what Hines has been up to in Houston.

I totally agree but they also produced Park District which while I am not in love with the architecture, seems safe to me, I do think they produced a quality high-end luxury residential and office product there. Called it in everywhere else.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 26 Jul 2018 12:19

Trammell Crow Company (Park District, Cityplace Sams Club) is not the same thing as Trammell Crow Residential (Lower Greenville, Alexan anything).

TCC is owned by CBRE and has nothing to do with Crow Holdings or the Crow family. TCC offices in 2100 McKinney and TCR is in Old Parkland.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jul 2018 14:04

I forget they are separate entities. Thanks for the clarity.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 05 Sep 2018 10:53

Serial restaurateur Nick Badovinus, the mind behind popular Dallas spots Neighborhood Services, Town Hearth, and Montlake Cut (among others), will open a new Mexican restaurant on Greenville Avenue. Badovinus will take over the space at 1250 Greenville Avenue with Desert Racer, a spot that will serve fare inspired by the cuisines of the southwestern United States. No opening timeline for the restaurant has been announced yet.

https://dallas.eater.com/2018/9/5/17822 ... ember-2018

Looks like this will be opening at the 'bottom' of Greenville Ave, which is exciting news. I've really been waiting for the Lower Greenville and Henderson Ave development to start spilling over onto Ross Ave. and other areas to the south.

willyk

Postby willyk » 05 Sep 2018 22:05

DPatel304 wrote:
Serial restaurateur Nick Badovinus, the mind behind popular Dallas spots Neighborhood Services, Town Hearth, and Montlake Cut (among others), will open a new Mexican restaurant on Greenville Avenue. Badovinus will take over the space at 1250 Greenville Avenue with Desert Racer, a spot that will serve fare inspired by the cuisines of the southwestern United States. No opening timeline for the restaurant has been announced yet.

https://dallas.eater.com/2018/9/5/17822 ... ember-2018

Looks like this will be opening at the 'bottom' of Greenville Ave, which is exciting news. I've really been waiting for the Lower Greenville and Henderson Ave development to start spilling over onto Ross Ave. and other areas to the south.

Agree—it seems like the place where Ross, Greenville and Henderson all come together should be a great place to build most anything.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Sep 2018 08:30

Its 1520 Greenville Avenue btw Eater made a mistake in their post. It's the previous Haymaker space.

From the culturemap article...

Dallas generally likes things from Austin, making Haymaker's closure a surprise, especially since it opened with of-the-moment trends such as poutine and craft beer. But the block of Greenville that's below Ross Avenue has not had the same draw as above. For example, Pints & Quarts, the fun hot dog place from Brooke Humphries, left its prime spot at Greenville and Ross and decamped for the Centrum Building in Oak Lawn.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 06 Sep 2018 09:14

Has anything in that space lasted very long since Flips?

vman

Postby vman » 06 Sep 2018 10:19

Well, I'm very happy the 5420 Ross building (Toasted, Milk & Cream, Bonavide barbershop etc) was saved and renovated. I've always loved that building and everything there seems to be doing relatively well.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 31 Jan 2019 17:00

Boston pizzeria slides flatbreads into prized spot on Dallas' Greenville Ave
There's a new slice of pizza coming to town, this one from New England: Called the Flatbread Company, it will open at 1430 Greenville Ave., in the space occupied for decades by Goodyear Tire Co.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... le-avenue/

Greenville Ave continuing to creep further and further south...

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 31 Jan 2019 17:25

The bet is how long will the Fiesta shopping center last. I imagine at least another 5 years before it may be more valuable as a denser project the city will easily rezone for residential and more ground floor retail space.

eburress

Postby eburress » 31 Jan 2019 19:32

I wonder about that shopping center. That location is ideal for a significant development which would be the nexus of two of the city's more happening areas, Henderson and Lower Greenville, and could help to extend that momentum south down Ross Ave.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 31 Jan 2019 22:34

eburress wrote:I wonder about that shopping center. That location is ideal for a significant development which would be the nexus of two of the city's more happening areas, Henderson and Lower Greenville, and could help to extend that momentum south down Ross Ave.

That shopping center and the Dallas Episcopal Diocese are the biggest land plots that prevent Ross/Henderson/LG from being connected.

Does anyone know what's up with Henderson project?

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 01 Feb 2019 08:41

yeah, I echo the demand for info on the Henderson development. I live a block from Henderson and many of us in the neighborhood are VERY impatient for some walkable amenities.

I also made a point of asking about the repaving of Henderson Avenue, which is conspicuously absent from the city's five-year road maintenance plan. The response was that the asphalt is so deteriorated that "more study" has to be done to estimate costs. How encouraging.

eburress

Postby eburress » 01 Feb 2019 10:58

emmasensei wrote:yeah, I echo the demand for info on the Henderson development. I live a block from Henderson and many of us in the neighborhood are VERY impatient for some walkable amenities.

I also made a point of asking about the repaving of Henderson Avenue, which is conspicuously absent from the city's five-year road maintenance plan. The response was that the asphalt is so deteriorated that "more study" has to be done to estimate costs. How encouraging.

The development is "underway" according to the Advocate, but yeah, they don't seem to be making any visible progress. I'm moving into the neighborhood in the next few months, so it would be great to know more about what's coming, timelines, and such. I completely agree about increasing the walkability along Henderson. It has a pretty unique vibe and a lot of momentum but its sidewalks are a mess.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 01 Feb 2019 11:04

Welcome to the neighborhood! I'm happy to have another urban/civic-minded person in Knox-Henderson. We've only been here 7 months, but we've already seen significant changes. Generally speaking, it feels like the city is just rushing to keep up with the explosive population growth in this area; part of the reason our streets are such a disaster is because of the constant utilities churn...we've seen the gas lines replaced, the water mains, installation of fiber-optic internet, etc. It's made for some pretty terrible sidewalks.

My current battle has to do with requesting installation of no parking signs (people double-park on every corner of a four-way intersection and in front of fire hydrants all. the. time.), making two-way stops into four-way stops to calm rushing traffic, and the like. There are a LOT of pedestrians in the Henderson area (including Solar Prep schoolchildren), which is fantastic, but because parking habits and street signage haven't kept pace with population growth, it's like playing Frogger.

Will send you an email with more of my thoughts re: living in Henderson.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 May 2019 14:45

This was posted outside the Taco Cabana on Lower (Lowest?) Greenville.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 27 May 2019 02:53

^ Likely just for the renewal of their late-night SUP.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 01 Oct 2019 18:52

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... ophy-club/

Sad to see mudsmith go. Spent many a late night/afternoon working here over the years. Will be interesting to see how lower Greenville fills in all of these spots that are opening up.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 Oct 2019 23:00

That's a huge shame, as I think this place was such a good fit for the Lower Greenville area. I only went a handful of times, but it seems like it was usually fairly packed and the space was a little bit too small. I live next to their Oak Lawn location, which seems like it's probably a much better space for them. That one is huge, and there is convenient parking in the area as well, so I imagine they are performing better there.

eburress

Postby eburress » 01 Oct 2019 23:03

There have been a number recent closures/relocations along lower Greenville and I imagine there will be a few closing soon (e.g., Gung Ho), but on the other hand there are a number of new bars and restaurants opening soon.

I got excited when I saw the proposed rezoning sign in front of Taco Cabana (I had visions of a new mixed-use structure) but unfortunately you're correct, Hannibal Lecter. ;)

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 02 Oct 2019 12:12

eburress wrote:There have been a number recent closures/relocations along lower Greenville and I imagine there will be a few closing soon (e.g., Gung Ho), but on the other hand there are a number of new bars and restaurants opening soon.

I got excited when I saw the proposed rezoning sign in front of Taco Cabana (I had visions of a new mixed-use structure) but unfortunately you're correct, Hannibal Lecter. ;)

The area has a lot of higher wealth residents but it's also mainly single family, so maybe there just needs to be some more density added via midrise apartments to add to the potential customer base. Hopefully not massive projects, but smaller infill midrises with maybe one level of parking and 4-5 floors of apartments with around ~50-60 units would be a nice fit.

A few small office buildings would add some weekday daytime retail/dining traffic too.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 Oct 2019 12:39

Yep. Something definitely needs to be done, otherwise businesses will continue to struggle in this area. It seems like there is potential for more density towerds the south where Greenville starts to meet Ross and Henderson.

eburress

Postby eburress » 02 Oct 2019 15:08

DPatel304 wrote:Yep. Something definitely needs to be done, otherwise businesses will continue to struggle in this area. It seems like there is potential for more density towerds the south where Greenville starts to meet Ross and Henderson.

I think you're right and that's precisely what's happening with all the large rental projects coming soon, just down the road on Ross.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Oct 2019 10:35

Yeah, the business may not be appealing to the majority of people who are nearby and even those people expect to park their giant SUVs in limited parking and go home right after. When is the parking the tightest for which customers? Are the bar nighttime crowd pushing out available parking for the early evening dinner crowd? Is it Dinner, Lunch and I assume not breakfast that are the main traffic generators? I for one and the neighborhood has never welcomed generating parking just so more bars can consume the neighborhood. How do you control parking so to provide the fast-casual advantage while providing the bars access at night when the fast-casual have no need. Free Valet sounds nice but I would never use a valet to go to the bank, grocery, crisp salad, steel pops etc even if it is free.

When I drove for Uber and Lyft everyone I ever dropped off and picked up was in their 20'-30's and lived anywhere from Uptown, Oak Lawn and East Dallas and were mostly going for drinks, not even dinner. I will say I drove mostly evenings though so I can not speak for day time traffic patterns. I can easily see why Crisp for example closed. They aren't the type of business that's going to be able to survive off of Uber rides. Their price point is def the kind that the customer drives up runs in and leaves and free valet won't help them.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 03 Oct 2019 10:56

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Yeah, the business may not be appealing to the majority of people who are nearby and even those people expect to park their giant SUVs in limited parking and go home right after. When is the parking the tightest for which customers? Are the bar nighttime crowd pushing out available parking for the early evening dinner crowd? Is it Dinner, Lunch and I assume not breakfast that are the main traffic generators? I for one and the neighborhood has never welcomed generating parking just so more bars can consume the neighborhood. How do you control parking so to provide the fast-casual advantage while providing the bars access at night when the fast-casual have no need. Free Valet sounds nice but I would never use a valet to go to the bank, grocery, crisp salad, steel pops etc even if it is free.

When I drove for Uber and Lyft everyone I ever dropped off and picked up was in their 20'-30's and lived anywhere from Uptown, Oak Lawn and East Dallas and were mostly going for drinks, not even dinner. I will say I drove mostly evenings though so I can not speak for day time traffic patterns. I can easily see why Crisp for example closed. They aren't the type of business that's going to be able to survive off of Uber rides. Their price point is def the kind that the customer drives up runs in and leaves and free valet won't help them.

This area is tricky as there is plenty of parking, but its not a big lot that sits right in front of the store like most people are used to. A lot of it is a block away on one of the side streets. Whenever I've had friends meet me down there and I've directed them exactly where to go to park, we've never had any issues with them finding parking at any time of day/night. Not sure how you solve that knowledge gap, but I've always thought some of these business' could do themselves a favor by posting some kind of map/info on their websites.

eburress

Postby eburress » 29 Oct 2019 15:41

There's a proposed rezoning for Gung Ho (z189-333). I'm not sure how to search for zoning requests but I wonder what's changing.

It's a cool space but their business has fallen off bigtime and they've simplified their menu, in my opinion to the point of mediocrity.

BigD5349

Postby BigD5349 » 15 Dec 2019 18:52

I heard that the Sam's Club Now has been struggling with lower-than-expected sales... does anyone know if that's true or not?

R1070

Postby R1070 » 15 Dec 2019 19:45

That Sam’s spot needs to be re-developed to mixed use.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Dec 2019 21:54

R1070 wrote:That Sam’s spot needs to be re-developed to mixed use.

They should bring back the bronco bowl there

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Dec 2019 16:50

Walmart won't let that spot go. If they end up closing the store at any point they will again sit on the property until its pried from their cold dead hands. Trader Joes across the street appears to always be full.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Jan 2020 15:00

New England pizzeria Flatbread Company picks Lower Greenville for first Texas restaurant
Flatbread Company has a patio with garage doors that pay homage to the address’ former life as a Firestone Tire.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... estaurant/

eburress

Postby eburress » 13 Jan 2020 07:24

They did a really nice job on the space, as did Desert Racer a few doors down. I'm excited about how these two places are moving some of the "gravity" further south on Greenville.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 Jan 2020 07:57

eburress wrote:They did a really nice job on the space, as did Desert Racer a few doors down. I'm excited about how these two places are moving some of the "gravity" further south on Greenville.

Need to visit this pizza joint once it opens. I have heard great things about Flatbread and about the time I inquired as to what it was I noticed one popping up here.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 Jan 2020 08:04

HG Sply Co owner plans new restaurant on Lower Greenville in Dallas
Feed Company, which closed over the weekend, will become a Standard Service.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... rce=pushly

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Jan 2020 08:56

That's a shame that Feed Company closed down as I thought the food there was great.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 13 Jan 2020 10:16

I went to Desert Racer on Tuesday 1/7. Very cool set up and when I arrived at 915pm the inside tables were about half full. The patio was essentially completely empty (which was fair as it was about 45 F) but it will be a great place to hang out once the weather warms up. Hope this place has better luck than Haymaker.

eburress

Postby eburress » 13 Jan 2020 10:25

DPatel304 wrote:That's a shame that Feed Company closed down as I thought the food there was great.

I liked the food but I feel like they needed to hire much better servers because the service was always so hit or miss. Hopefully they can get this fixed moving forward.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Jan 2020 11:00

Taco Cabana closes 19 restaurants including Lower Greenville store
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... xas-stores

R1070

Postby R1070 » 13 Jan 2020 11:15

I hope the dancing frogs are used in L.G. as public art.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Jan 2020 13:40

It'll probably be converted to a local Tex Mex spot.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 13 Jan 2020 14:43

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:It'll probably be converted to a local Tex Mex spot.

Wouldn't be a terrible location for a Cafe Brazil or Buzzbrews or something like that too.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Jan 2020 01:17

Cafe Brazil is barely holding on. Buzz Brews well they def seem to be expanding to every district in Dallas but they did close the Lemmon Ave location.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 15 Jan 2020 09:15

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Cafe Brazil is barely holding on. Buzz Brews well they def seem to be expanding to every district in Dallas but they did close the Lemmon Ave location.

Yeah I'm definitely not a fan of Cafe Brazil myself, but something in that realm seems like it would be good there, if not necessarily those two brands specifically.

vman

Postby vman » 15 Jan 2020 09:23

exelone31 wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Cafe Brazil is barely holding on. Buzz Brews well they def seem to be expanding to every district in Dallas but they did close the Lemmon Ave location.

Yeah I'm definitely not a fan of Cafe Brazil myself, but something in that realm seems like it would be good there, if not necessarily those two brands specifically.

I go to the Cafe Brazil in Bishop Arts occasionally and was just there about two weeks ago. I've definitely noticed the weekend breakfast crowd there has gotten much smaller.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 15 Jan 2020 17:53

vman wrote:
exelone31 wrote:

I go to the Cafe Brazil in Bishop Arts occasionally and was just there about two weeks ago. I've definitely noticed the weekend breakfast crowd there has gotten much smaller.

Cafe Brazil used to be good, especially when they had less competition, but they haven't really kept up with the times. Their coffee is still great, though. Their unlimited coffee bar in multiple flavors was a godsend for me during college. They still have some brand equity and nostalgia with Dallas diners that they should capitalize on by introducing a whole new, smaller menu. The usual egg dishes, some with a twist, pancakes and waffles in various toppings and flavors, and a diner lunch selection. Their huge book size menu is a bit tired and early 2000's.

Then the decor.... It needs some updating. It was charming and quirky before but now it's tired and frankly seems dirty. I would go with a cleaner modern diner look, white tile, more light, and and emphasis on natural woods and green plants to give it that "Brazil" look without seeming kitschy.

If not, yes, this space on Lower Greenville might be available soon.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 Jan 2020 09:43

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... Hp6-17msp0

UPDATE 1-16-2020: According to a statement from Taco Cabana, the outcome of the Tango Frogs is still TBD. "At Taco Cabana we understand the importance of the Tango Frogs to the community," the statement says. "We are currently exploring options to ensure that they find a good home."

Well, my idea of a kitschy "Frogtown Plaza" in the West End won't die (in my head anyway). This is where the Tango Frogs belong.

Frogtown Plaza.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 16 Jan 2020 17:32

Char Bar on Lower Greenville gets new life: Owners of Whiskey Cake and Velvet Taco plan new restaurant
https://outline.com/MzSwfn

I really worry for all these resetaurants. Lower Greenville needs to work on relying less on commuter traffic and get more people living nearby in order to sustain these new restaurants.