General roads/transport. issues

jrd1964

General roads/transport. issues

Postby jrd1964 » 29 May 2018 03:05

After the "LBJ East" project, there are $24 billion worth of other local projects (all in TxDOT's Dallas District):
* I-30 downtown canyon
* I-30 between I-45 and Lake Ray Hubbard
* I-30 between Lake Ray Hubbard and Rockwall-Hunt Co. line
* I-35E between I-635 and US 380 (2nd phase)
* I-35E between Oak Lawn and TX 183
* US 75 between Collin Co. Road 360 to Grayson Co. line
* US 80 between I-30 and FM 480 near Forney
* TX 114 & TX 183, Irving (2nd phase)
* TX 121 between Collin Co. Outer Loop and Fannin Co. line
* TX 205 between TX 78 and US 80
* Loop 9 between I-35E and I-45

The article says they are all priority projects, but the funding isn't there yet for them all.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transpo ... ts-remains

jrd1964

Re: General roads/transport. issues

Postby jrd1964 » 15 Jun 2018 17:23

The new "Mobility 2045" plan is coming out this week; it was approved by the Regional Transportation Council yesterday. Just what you all wanted to hear--more of the same. They predict 4 million more people will be in the area in the next 25 years.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transpo ... udes-tolls

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 16 Jun 2018 17:06

It's a mess....

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 Sep 2018 10:01

With all the talk of the Tesla Semi... I really think Volvo's alternative is the right way go to.
https://electrek.co/2018/09/13/volvo-all-electric-autonomous-truck-without-a-cab/
All electric
No cab
No driver
Fully autonomous

They mention here that this is intended mainly for 'urban' transport (due to aerodynamic limits)... But, I would see it more as a point B-Y transit alternative, and let meat bags handle the first and last leg, simply to reduce complexity.

Very cool concept though...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

longhorn

Postby longhorn » 25 Sep 2018 14:19

muncien wrote:With all the talk of the Tesla Semi... I really think Volvo's alternative is the right way go to.
https://electrek.co/2018/09/13/volvo-all-electric-autonomous-truck-without-a-cab/
All electric
No cab
No driver
Fully autonomous

They mention here that this is intended mainly for 'urban' transport (due to aerodynamic limits)... But, I would see it more as a point B-Y transit alternative, and let meat bags handle the first and last leg, simply to reduce complexity.

Very cool concept though...

With the looming driver shortage, I see this moving forward. Human drivers taking over around metro areas and autonomous rigs then taking over on the open roads, ie. out west. The first application will be around warehouses moving empty trailers around the yard.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 14 Jun 2019 14:21

The DMN editorializes Dallas' signal light issues, and how improvements need to happen quicker

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/edit ... s-changing

raucameron1981

Postby raucameron1981 » 21 Jun 2019 14:42

itsjrd1964 wrote:The DMN editorializes Dallas' signal light issues, and how improvements need to happen quicker

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/edit ... s-changing

That's a serious issue, I would like it to be resolved asap.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Jun 2019 17:33

It is pretty ridiculous how far behind Dallas is getting traffic signals upgraded.

kozzy

Postby kozzy » 01 Jul 2019 12:59

I noticed after the June 9th storms, most of the older structures (the green and rust colored poles usually with a curved arm) withstood the winds while the new structures (the silver L-shaped bars) had several lights that were either bent in several directions or completely blown off the structure.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 09 Aug 2019 10:52

'Intersections of Dallas' Highlights Absurd Traffic Patterns"

https://www.nbcdfw.com/traffic/stories/ ... 22691.html

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0yI9Gqhqyk/

I knew what six of them would be without even looking.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Aug 2019 11:03

Haha.. I saw this posted on Reddit and actually purchased the print from the guy's Etsy store. Here is the store for anyone who is curious:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/barelymaps

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 09 Aug 2019 12:18

DPatel304 wrote:Haha.. I saw this posted on Reddit and actually purchased the print from the guy's Etsy store. Here is the store for anyone who is curious:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/barelymaps

Brilliant!!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Sep 2019 13:05

Aside from all of the new stoplights that have been placed along Cesar Chavez I am starting to notice new stoplights appearing in various places downtown. Is this part of an overall downtown replacement strategy or just fixing some lights that are about to crash?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 15 Sep 2019 11:54

Tnexster wrote:Aside from all of the new stoplights that have been placed along Cesar Chavez I am starting to notice new stoplights appearing in various places downtown. Is this part of an overall downtown replacement strategy or just fixing some lights that are about to crash?

It's likely some of both. Probably more that the older ones in Dallas should have been changed out a *while* ago and are past their ability to adapt with the times in a technological sense. The timing and being able to sync with other signal lights on the same street or area is likely an issue with the older ones also. I'm sure someone out there thinks DTD and other parts of town would look better with new signals than with the old/cranky/rusty versions.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 15 Sep 2019 13:04

itsjrd1964 wrote:
Tnexster wrote:Aside from all of the new stoplights that have been placed along Cesar Chavez I am starting to notice new stoplights appearing in various places downtown. Is this part of an overall downtown replacement strategy or just fixing some lights that are about to crash?

It's likely some of both. Probably more that the older ones in Dallas should have been changed out a *while* ago and are past their ability to adapt with the times in a technological sense. The timing and being able to sync with other signal lights on the same street or area is likely an issue with the older ones also. I'm sure someone out there thinks DTD and other parts of town would look better with new signals than with the old/cranky/rusty versions.

I agree and the new ones certainly look better than the old. Seems like they would really have to concentrate on a couple of major thoroughfares through downtown like Elm and Commerce to seriously make a difference. One of the new lights is on Griffin and another one is on Field...maybe at Commerce. It's near AT&T.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Sep 2019 12:43

After driving down Wood Street today I realized that all of the signals on Wood are being replaced, this runs behind the AT&T Discovery District which may have something to do with all of these replacements.

Zmitz

Postby Zmitz » 03 Oct 2019 09:09

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... ic-deaths/

"Pending Council’s future OK, city staff will craft a plan to join, identifying how it would reduce traffic deaths to zero and cut severe injuries in half by 2030."

“Design around pedestrian walkways is key for this city to grow into the 21st century,” said Council member Paula Blackmon, of East Dallas.

First the bus system overhaul, now this? It's encouraging to see the city leadership take an interest in actually designing the urban core to be Urban.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Oct 2019 09:29

Wow, that's reassuring to hear. I'm not sure what will actually come of these changes, but at least they seem to get it and have the right mindset.

muncien

Postby muncien » 08 Jan 2020 14:15

Random George Bush Turnpike question here...

I've been curious ever since moving here many years ago... There are a set of on/off ramps along PGBTP between Beltline and Valley View Lane that have never been in service. Does anybody know what the original intent for these ramps was? Best I can figure is that Valwood Parkways was possibly being considered for extension to the turnpike, but it never happened.
I'm not really sold on this, but it seems the most rational explanation. Curious if anybody has other info.
Thx!

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 08 Jan 2020 14:50

muncien wrote:Random George Bush Turnpike question here...

I've been curious ever since moving here many years ago... There are a set of on/off ramps along PGBTP between Beltline and Valley View Lane that have never been in service. Does anybody know what the original intent for these ramps was? Best I can figure is that Valwood Parkways was possibly being considered for extension to the turnpike, but it never happened.
I'm not really sold on this, but it seems the most rational explanation. Curious if anybody has other info.
Thx!

This Real Estate flyer from c.2013 claims Carrolton has acquired land and planned for an extension of Valwood to a new interchange at PGBT (Linky: https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/zyFMEYzz ... cument.pdf)

No idea how firm or funded those plans are, or how much use that proposed interchange would even get - I occasionally use Luna/Valwood as backroads to avoid the mess on 635 coming from Las Colinas, and that whole warehouse/industrial park is dead even at the peak of rush hour.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 08 Jan 2020 16:20

http://www.dfwfreeways.com/ This guy wrote an online book about DFW Freeways, and would probably have the answer plus the original list of proposed exits if you check around or email him if you are curious.

muncien

Postby muncien » 09 Jan 2020 10:48

TNWE wrote:
muncien wrote:Random George Bush Turnpike question here...

Thx!

This Real Estate flyer from c.2013 claims Carrolton has acquired land and planned for an extension of Valwood to a new interchange at PGBT (Linky: https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/zyFMEYzz ... cument.pdf)

No idea how firm or funded those plans are, or how much use that proposed interchange would even get - I occasionally use Luna/Valwood as backroads to avoid the mess on 635 coming from Las Colinas, and that whole warehouse/industrial park is dead even at the peak of rush hour.

Nice find! Thx for the info. I find these 'planned but never happened' things fascinating.

I did some contract work off Valwood many years ago. Never considered it being a through street. I agree that it doesn't seem particularly beneficial, but perhaps getting some truck traffic of I35 is possible.

Being that this info is only a few years old, it seems the road is still in the plans. Time will tell, I suppose.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Jan 2020 14:38

Governor Abbott Says Texas Is Finished Building Highways
In a San Antonio speech, Gov. Greg Abbott says Texas may be experiencing its "last major build-out of roads.” Has the state changed its tune on transportation?

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... -highways/

Still, the governor’s comments are encouraging, and it suggests the conversation about highways, infrastructure, growth, safety, and mobility are beginning to crack long-held assumptions about transportation, even in Texas. It is not the first indication we’ve had that the state government is beginning to think differently about its roads and their many detrimental implications for travelers. In December, I wrote about TxDOT’s desire to reduce deaths on Texas roads. More people died on Texas roads between 2010 and 2018 than in any other state.

The governor’s comments also suggest future political battlegrounds. He directly addresses the challenge of housing affordability in his speech and the threat it poses for eroding Texas’ affordability advantage, which has been instrumental in luring new residents and investment to the state. Addressing affordability must go hand-in-hand with transitioning to new modes of transportation and encouraging density. Hopefully state officials will eventually realize public transit plays a vital role in this aspect of ensuring the state’s economic resilience.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 11 Jan 2020 10:44

Tnexster wrote:Governor Abbott Says Texas Is Finished Building Highways
In a San Antonio speech, Gov. Greg Abbott says Texas may be experiencing its "last major build-out of roads.”

"May be" =/= "is".

The governor might need to lower his podium a little so he can see better.

There are still many projects to come that will affect the state's highway system. All the major metros, as well as places like Amarillo, have future highway projects in the works. Several of TX' interstates are being eyed for additional lanes (in most cases, a third lane in each direction). There is still much to do to finish all of TX' portion of I-69 through the state. Those are just some of the examples. The governor wants more business and people to come to TX, but he may have forgotten that all (or most of) those new people will be bringing their cars with them.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Jan 2020 11:24

He never said anything about toll roads tho lol

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jan 2020 14:36

I am all for re-examining what's working and what's not on all levels. Roads and transit. If the governor wants to seriously look at a comprehensive transportation policy sure but I expect this is just lip service. Metro planning authorities like the NTCOG are still run by an older crowd who prefers road projects no matter what and they aren't gonna just step down cause the Governor says so. Those leaders of those metro planning boards are the ones who are the ones who influence what projects even make it past just forum posts and political musings in the local media.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 11 Jan 2020 17:26

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:He never said anything about toll roads tho lol

Lmao my thoughts exactly