Cityplace West/West Village: Residential Tower (~250 FT / 23 ST) / Hilton Canopy (8 ST)

DPatel304

Re: Cityplace West/West Village: Residential Tower (~250 FT / 23 ST) / Hilton Canopy (8 ST)

Postby DPatel304 » 15 May 2018 21:09

LongonBigD wrote:A ceiling arch extends inside parallel to Cityplace West made of old red brick. At the east end of the lobby is what appears to be the sliced off front end of a MATA trolley mounted to the wall (complete with “Ride Free” signage). This looks good, ties in the immediate neighborhood and is quite unexpected in such a modern, sleek exterior.

They've posted a few pictures on their instagram page:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi0hA_gA0xW ... b_www_attr

LongonBigD

Rezoning sign up at Mutt's

Postby LongonBigD » 06 Jun 2018 15:03

I can't find a generic West Village thread.

This appeared in the last couple of days. Is this news regarding the future of the Mutt's tract or just a minor change? Anybody know? The original plan was a skyscraper. I believe zoning allows for 43 stories on this tract, but we can't seem to go higher than 20 in Uptown lately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R1070

Re: Cityplace West/West Village: Residential Tower (~250 FT / 23 ST) / Hilton Canopy (8 ST)

Postby R1070 » 06 Jun 2018 21:47

The new apt buildings in W. Village are 21 and 23 floors. I imagine it would be something around that height or shorter to match the adjacent apt midrises.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 06 Jun 2018 23:20

It would be awesome if the Mutt's and the former Minyard's plot of land were re-developed at the same time.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 07 Jun 2018 07:50

Logo signage has been put up in recent days along the roofline of the Canopy part of the complex. There is 1 each on the west and east sides of the hotel.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 07 Jun 2018 08:52

DPatel304 wrote:It would be awesome if the Mutt's and the former Minyard's plot of land were re-developed at the same time.

I would prefer Mutts and The Rustic to holdout. As we've been saying the past few days, if the "Uptownification" of Uptown continues, and we lose these two spots, we start losing the types of places that made Uptown special in the first place.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 07 Jun 2018 09:53

I get your point, however, Mutts and Rustic are relatively late additions to Uptown and, from the beginning, we knew they were temporary venues that would eventually be replaced. I do agree that not everything should be re-developed into a high-rise, but, for this specific case, I'm totally on board with it.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 07 Jun 2018 10:13

They are requesting to decrease the FAR (floor area ratio) for multifamily and increase it for all other uses.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Jun 2018 10:27

Hopefully this site will join other recent developments with increased size and residential density.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 07 Jun 2018 11:07

Maybe a combined Rustic/Mutts can be re-accommodated permanently on city owned park land somewhere else in Uptown, with a long term land lease from the city. Reverchon Park seems to have some underutilized land that could work.

If not, I wouldn't mind seeing them move to East Dallas into an empty land near the Ross and Haskell vicinity. This area has so much empty land that could be redeveloped.

---

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Jun 2018 13:05

Rustic has already been contacted about opening something similar far up north most likely the second location with the same name. Although I am not that impressed with Rustic as far as a venue and space. It was a great use for land temporarily and the city granted them a temporary allowance for it to happen. I imagine now that its a proven concept any landowner will want to charge them up the hilt to run something similar since the Rustic does sell a lot of alcohol according to the TABC records. Mutts is a little more unique and I could definitely see working to find them a location since their operation is quite small. Its a rather small building to house the kitchen and bar and then its a matter of a deck and fencing and staff. Rustic is a full-on restaurant and outdoor venue that in some form can really be recreated anywhere with the right mix.

I would even go as far as to say Barnett was trying to do the Rustic one better at Toyota Music Factory and did a bad job at capturing what the Rustic did capture with its atmosphere. I just don't think the Rustic needs accommodation through the city. Mutts does provide a dog park experience that the city hasn't captured that the West Village and many other neighborhoods would love to have. I can point to a dozen places I think Mutts would attract a customer base and the neighborhood might welcome. Rustic is just another backyard bar with a decent menu and stage setup.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Jun 2018 13:08

The true reality is all these apartment complexes are full of people with dogs and looking for a relatively close place to take them and still have a beer and be with friends.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 07 Jun 2018 14:17

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Rustic has already been contacted about opening something similar far up north most likely the second location with the same name. Although I am not that impressed with Rustic as far as a venue and space. It was a great use for land temporarily and the city granted them a temporary allowance for it to happen. I imagine now that its a proven concept any landowner will want to charge them up the hilt to run something similar since the Rustic does sell a lot of alcohol according to the TABC records. Mutts is a little more unique and I could definitely see working to find them a location since their operation is quite small. Its a rather small building to house the kitchen and bar and then its a matter of a deck and fencing and staff. Rustic is a full-on restaurant and outdoor venue that in some form can really be recreated anywhere with the right mix.

I would even go as far as to say Barnett was trying to do the Rustic one better at Toyota Music Factory and did a bad job at capturing what the Rustic did capture with its atmosphere. I just don't think the Rustic needs accommodation through the city. Mutts does provide a dog park experience that the city hasn't captured that the West Village and many other neighborhoods would love to have. I can point to a dozen places I think Mutts would attract a customer base and the neighborhood might welcome. Rustic is just another backyard bar with a decent menu and stage setup.

Regardless of whether we personally like the Rustic or not (it's not my cup of tea), it is a draw for the live/work/play atmosphere that Uptown provides. I don't see enough "play" opportunities coming to the urban core when it comes to outdoor activities. Uptown is increasingly just live/work. More apartments? Every city nationwide has apartments, and many of them look surprisingly identical to what has been built in Uptown. What is going to be our unique draw to get people to move here and stay here, put down roots?

The Rustic isn't anything spectacular in my opinion, but I can say anecdotally that it is one of the few places in Dallas I have heard people from other cities say they know and like. Nobody says "Omg I had a great time in Dallas looking at that one apartment building, so good with its' EIFS exterior and parking garage!"

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Jun 2018 14:27

I can point to you 10 other places in Dallas not even DFW but Dallas that have the same mystique and following. The Rustic can find its own land to move its operation no need to hold up land like the Rustic is some unique thing worth saving from the wrecking ball. I hear a piece of former Sams Club land is available across the way. Maybe Trammel Crow can sneak them across the freeway and build the mixed-use development where we know they are capable of doing so.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 07 Jun 2018 22:11

I don't understand the dislike for Mutts and Rustic. Sure, I get that they were alway supposed to be temporary, but they have proven themselves to be popular attractions for the area. The notion that every square foot of uptown should be mid-rise apartments with/without ground floor retail , etc, is just boring to me.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 07 Jun 2018 23:05

uptown74 wrote:I don't understand the dislike for Mutts and Rustic. Sure, I get that they were alway supposed to be temporary, but they have proven themselves to be popular attractions for the area. The notion that every square foot of uptown should be mid-rise apartments with/without ground floor retail , etc, is just boring to me.

Agreed! I'm not saying let them stay where they are, I'm just saying it would be good for them to be re-accommodated somewhere permanently in the neighborhood. Even smaller cities are getting the urban style apartment midrises with walkable retail/dining/bars these days. They don't set us apart anymore. We need some space reserved for outdoor activities and hanging out.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Jun 2018 19:53

“We are excited to open this lifestyle hotel in our own backyard and give guests, locals and out-of-towners alike, a true sense of Texas hospitality,” Alan Naul, founder of The Javelin Group, said in a press release.

The hotel itself will reflect Dallas culture, featuring local artwork, vintage bricks from McKinney Avenue and a refurbished section of the M-Line Trolley. The guest rooms, called “Just Right” rooms, will offer views of downtown Dallas, handcrafted furniture, cooling mattresses, Nespresso machines, walk-in showers and open closets.

Guests receive a welcome gift upon check in, pastries from nearby French bakery Bisous Bisous. Each morning, they can order an artisanal breakfast at Canopy Central Café or arrange for a grab-and-go breakfast bag to be delivered to their room. Each evening, the rooftop lounge, Upside, will host a tasting of craft and local beers, wine and cocktails. Featured breweries will include Deep Ellum Brewery, Community Brewery and Lakewood Brewery.

The Dallas Uptown hotel is also participating in the brand’s Paws in the Neighborhood initiative, a partnership with pet product manufacturer Planet Dog. Each canine guest will receive a dog bed and a “Paws in the Neighborhood Welcome Gift” with an Orbee ball, dog treats and pick-up bags.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... py-by.html

Some information about the upcoming hotel.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Jun 2018 22:08

What a great addition. Well done.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 16 Jun 2018 16:41

That looks very nice, and that view of downtown is awesome. I am sure it is much better in person.

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 16 Jun 2018 16:50

Tnexster wrote:That looks very nice, and that view of downtown is awesome. I am sure it is much better in person.

I'm going to get a room here when it opens and enjoy that rooftop. Very nice addition to WV.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 16 Jun 2018 16:59

The missing piece at WV, finally it arrives!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Jul 2018 20:43

Hilton covers Uptown with new 'Canopy' hotel brand

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/hot ... otel-brand

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 04 Aug 2018 02:23

Steve Brown extols the amenities and characteristics of the new complex:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -pool-deck

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 Aug 2018 16:49

itsjrd1964 wrote:Steve Brown extols the amenities and characteristics of the new complex:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -pool-deck

Is the hotel open?

The smallest unit in the new Ardan building starts at just under $1,900 a month.

The biggest two-bedroom apartment with a separate den will set you back as much as $4,730.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 07 Aug 2018 20:16

Is the hotel open?

Yes, it opened July 8th.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 31 Dec 2019 14:54

I didn't really want to start a new thread for West Village or 3700M... I know we had threads for both on the older site. But seeing today on a few site plans that J Crew is set to vacate their West Village spot. I'm a little surprised by that but the space should fill quickly.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 31 Dec 2019 15:12

Maybe I'm just not going at the right times, but it feels like West Village isn't as lively as it used to be 5-6 years ago. Has anyone else noticed a difference?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Jan 2020 12:33

Kelley USA wrote:I didn't really want to start a new thread for West Village or 3700M... I know we had threads for both on the older site. But seeing today on a few site plans that J Crew is set to vacate their West Village spot. I'm a little surprised by that but the space should fill quickly.

I like this store but when I am in there I have noticed it seems a little slow. When they go I will have one less reason to visit WV.

DallasMan

Postby DallasMan » 06 Jan 2020 16:29

Agreed. It always seemed very slow in that J.Crew.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 06 Jan 2020 17:13

I tried on maybe 5-6 different occasions to buy things from that J.Crew that I saw on their website. They never, ever had any of the items. Not just merely sold out of my size, but didn't stock their own products at all. It was so odd that it turned into a joke...we refer to it as "the J.Crew offering exactly three pairs of pants and one necklace."

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 07 Jan 2020 10:49

emmasensei wrote:...we refer to it as "the J.Crew offering exactly three pairs of pants and one necklace."

Wow, and I thought Neiman's and Saks were minimalist! ;) :lol:

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Jan 2020 21:18

Kelley USA wrote:I didn't really want to start a new thread for West Village or 3700M... I know we had threads for both on the older site. But seeing today on a few site plans that J Crew is set to vacate their West Village spot. I'm a little surprised by that but the space should fill quickly.

J. Crew to close high-profile store in West Village
The apparel specialty store closed its Galleria Dallas store last weekend

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... t-village/

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 25 Feb 2023 10:23

I could not find the thread for the Richards Group building in Uptown. Perhaps it was on the previous forum. Anyway, I will put this here.

The former Richards Group tower on U.S. Highway 75 to be renamed One West Village.

"Perched on the edge of North Central Expressway, it rises prominently into view when driving from the north into downtown Dallas. The familiar 18-story tower is about to see big changes. With the recent departure of the building’s namesake advertising firm, new owners are planning a revamp that will give the Uptown Dallas office a new identity: One West Village.

But the true selling point for other potential tenants is the location. “Over a quarter million cars pass by this building every day,” said Ryan McManigal, partner with OliveMill Holdings. “The tenant signage potential looking down 75 is probably one of the best in the city.” OliveMill Holdings acquired the tower last year, in partnership with Dallas’ Hunt Realty Investments and New York-based Angelo, Gordon & Co.

With the Richards Group’s – now TRG Inc. – recent move to Deep Ellum, the high-profile high-rise is empty for the first time since it opened in 2015. The advertising firm’s signs are coming down.

Construction crews are about to start a revamp of the building to ready it for new businesses. “We’ve talked with a number of large corporate users who are very keen on the potential to have their sign up there,” McManigal said. “We have tenants from all kinds of financial and professional services firms looking. We have a lot of activity now for between 30,000 and 150,000 square feet.

To add to the appeal of the building, renovations will center on moving tenant amenities from the upper levels down to the ground floor. Architect Gensler is handling the redo, which will include a new coffee bar and grab-and-go cafe near the entrance. “The coffee shop will actually have a door to spill out onto a 7,000-square-foot patio space,” McManigal said.

A new fitness center will also have access to the outdoor area on the north side of the tower facing Blackburn Street. Another lobby space will be repurposed as a conference facility. McManigal said. “We are trying to bring a lot of the amenities to the ground floor.” The renovations are also planned to give more emphasis to the south side of the building facing Cityplace Boulevard, which provides a short walk to nearby eateries. “The DART rail stop and trolly terminus are right there,” he said.

The eight floors of office space up for grabs at One West Village sit on top of 10 levels of enclosed parking. Construction on the high-rise remodeling should begin in about a month, with completion set for late summer."

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2023/02/24/high-profile-richards-group-tower-in-dallas-to-undergo-makeover/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 03 Apr 2023 14:33

Nice... where were we getting that future leasing map info from? It would be good to see how that has changed since things seem to have slowed.

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 03 Apr 2023 15:34

I've been to this theater once and I think it's reasonably priced along with great quality seats. Definitely recommend.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 03 Apr 2023 15:42

Went recently in order to see The Whale before the Oscars. It’s still a hidden secret. Hardly any others were there. The bar is gone, but it wasn’t exactly hopping before. The ticket window is gone. Kiosks only now. You can still get beer and wine. Nice new seating. Intimate screening rooms. Will definitely add back to hot weekend options of things to do nearby. And just like before, there is an ice cream option open again next door.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 18 Aug 2023 20:51

US-Living in February 2022 per dallascad bought 3700 McKinney except for the 37,000 square foot retail strip and 94,000 square foot parking, which are separately assessed at 19.9 million.