Las Colinas/North Irving Development

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby tamtagon » 20 Nov 2019 10:59

Kelley USA wrote: All concepts combined will add almost 4000 additional rooms per night.

At first, I thought that was alot... but then I considered the general population growth and employment growth in Irving AND the increased traffic at DFW, so, ya, that's about right! Not soon enough we'll see hotel accommodations inside the airport, terminal adjacent, really kick off. Might sound scary for all the hotel rooms coming on now, but these guests will simply represent the addition of a new channel into the market.

Just like Downtown Dallas, the Las Colinas Urban Centre is getting there, but not everything is in place quite; the remarkable growth in each place is still spread out and crossing the density threshold into bustling just out of reach. The tandem - Las Colinas and Downtown Dallas will be an excellent duo one of these days. Residential living in each will be similar but different, pedestrian activated with many people in and along the corridor between the two places, fully using both. Downtown will be quite the scene when a sizable Urban Centre population bumps up the transit oriented visitation.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Nov 2019 12:06

I know there are a bunch of new ones coming online but on the other side of this, are any older hotels dropping out of contention as this new product shows up?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 20 Nov 2019 19:20

Tnexster wrote:I know there are a bunch of new ones coming online but on the other side of this, are any older hotels dropping out of contention as this new product shows up?

AFAIK, none of the major sections of the DFW metro have lost any hotels to getting older or run down, mostly it seems to be the older or not-as-popular areas that seem to have any of the requisite chains (Motel 6, America's Best Value, Knights Inn, etc) or those that were chains and are now independents. There are parts of (for example) NW/east/SE/southern Dallas, Park Central, Irving, Arlington, Grand Prairie, Garland, Fort Worth, and Haltom City, that are in this kind of situation. Any areas still eyed for more new hotels, have mostly new/recent/renovated product and aren't going the dumpy eye-sore route. I don't know of too many that have actually gone away or were torn down, like the Love Field Inn that used to be on Mockingbird before it was razed for that restaurant that already closed, or that old HoJo on Stemmons between 183 and Commonwealth that supposedly was going to be land for the Trinity Tollroad. There are other exceptions, like that old Radisson on Mockingbird west of Love Field that became apartments. For the most part, most of the area submarkets seem to have hotels that are competitive in brand and appearance. I'm not sure how much of that is hotel owners/franchisees seeing demand, and how much is possibly cities that don't want to see their hotels go down in quality from either a city code standpoint or an economic development reason.

bachmanlad

Postby bachmanlad » 20 Nov 2019 21:25

At the latest D2 subway meeting, I asked about the Hidden Ridge DART station, the one adjacent to PNR on which construction still hasn't started. I was told that the cost estimates for the project had increased and DART was having trouble procuring the extra funding or something like that. Updated ETC was late 2020-early 2021, I think, but it was a week ago and I can't remember.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 Nov 2019 08:39

bachmanlad wrote:At the latest D2 subway meeting, I asked about the Hidden Ridge DART station, the one adjacent to PNR on which construction still hasn't started. I was told that the cost estimates for the project had increased and DART was having trouble procuring the extra funding or something like that. Updated ETC was late 2020-early 2021, I think, but it was a week ago and I can't remember.

That's a bummer to hear... I wonder if this has to do with the condition of the steel for this station which was already procured as part of the original Orange Line construction, but then dropped out in the open in a lot adjacent to Bachman station... fully exposed to the elements. Every time I ride past that lot the steel looks worse and worse. I was worried that it would go to waste.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 Nov 2019 09:09

bachmanlad wrote:At the latest D2 subway meeting, I asked about the Hidden Ridge DART station, the one adjacent to PNR on which construction still hasn't started. I was told that the cost estimates for the project had increased and DART was having trouble procuring the extra funding or something like that. Updated ETC was late 2020-early 2021, I think, but it was a week ago and I can't remember.

Honestly that's probably a better timeline anyways. There's no new development going on at the moment, so if the Hidden Ridge station opened any earlier it would only serve a handful of people at most. It's really not needed until the additional office, hotel, apartments and retail are added which could be 2 years away or 10 years away.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 Nov 2019 09:19

Kelley USA wrote:

Honestly that's probably a better timeline anyways. There's no new development going on at the moment, so if the Hidden Ridge station opened any earlier it would only serve a handful of people at most. It's really not needed until the additional office, hotel, apartments and retail are added which could be 2 years away or 10 years away.

There are actually a bazillion little hotel rooms around this station already. Sure, they are all smaller, 'garden variety' hotels for the most part, but there are a TON of them. I never understood why they deferred this station in the first place as the raw materials were already purchased and the platform footers are already set. If anything, they could have simply deferred the parking lot. Of course, I'm biased as this station is just a few minute walk from my employer. ;)

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Nov 2019 09:55

I remember back in September seeing a few stories about Varidesk signing a 200K sq ft lease with a Fortune 20 company at their Las Colinas project. I was scanning the City of Irving permits and noticed a few permits were pulled at this location listing Verizon as the tenant. It was for about 30K sq ft of space, but they could be doing the finish-out in phases. It also meets the note about a Fortune 20 company as Verizon currently sits at #19.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Nov 2019 11:39

There is a little bit more movement coming before P&Z next Monday pertaining to Hidden Ridge. Verizon is requesting variances for front and rear yard setbacks for proposed offices, parking garage and retail. So while progress has been slow it's still moving along. Hopefully we see some concrete plans sooner rather than later and a groundbreaking in 2020.

After looking at the plans a bit closer, looks like they are planning a 450,000 sf office building with a height of 305', a smaller office building of 42,000 sf with a height of 85', a parking garage at 80' plus 30,000 sf of retail for Phase 1. This is going to be on the west side of Green Park Drive.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Nov 2019 11:42

That sounds like a decent sized building.

muncien

Postby muncien » 29 Nov 2019 10:03

Tnexster wrote:That sounds like a decent sized building.

Wow... No kidding. For reference, Williams Square Tower currently stands at 358 feet and 358k sq ft. Of course, the entirety of Williams Square office complex consists of four buildings and totals 1.4 million. But still, this is big.

The massive new Pioneer Natural Resources building is almost 1.2 million square feet, and only 10 floors (I think a few subsurface floors as well). BTW, if you haven't seen this building, you need to... It is the most beautiful in Las Colinas, and is certainly in the running for the most beautiful in North Texas.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Dec 2019 09:47

I sent my findings to the DBJ and they actually did an article on it :)

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... space.html

My assumption would also be that if Verizon is developing a Phase 2 project at Hidden Ridge, that the 450K sf office portion would most likely be for them.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 02 Dec 2019 12:42

If Verizon is doing this much office for themselves, could they be wanting, now or later, to move their HQ here?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 05 Dec 2019 14:48

Sounds like Pacific Table at Water Street is opening next week... Official ribbon cutting is on Thur Dec 12th. They might already be doing a soft opening now, but haven't walked past in several days.

aalmog001

Postby aalmog001 » 09 Dec 2019 09:39

Updates on Pioneer Natural Resources new HQ and Verizon's Hidden Ridge development.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... 4-million/

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... g-project/

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 09 Dec 2019 14:43

Kelley USA wrote:I sent my findings to the DBJ and they actually did an article on it :)

My assumption would also be that if Verizon is developing a Phase 2 project at Hidden Ridge, that the 450K sf office portion would most likely be for them.

Why would you make that assumption?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 09 Dec 2019 15:03

Tucy wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:I sent my findings to the DBJ and they actually did an article on it :)

Well for a number of reasons, unless this particular 450,000 sf is being built for someone else (which could be true). But it seems like from a financial standpoint it might make sense to do a long-term lease in a building you own as opposed to leasing from someone else. I obviously don't have the numbers to support that though. It would also put your employees right across the street from the larger campus instead of a few miles down the road. That affords you the opportunity to share meeting spaces, employee dining and fitness amenities, parking etc... Verizon is trying to create a special live-work-play environment with residential, park space and retail incorporated. I would think they would want all these new employees to have access to all of that since it would help attract and keep talent.

muncien

Postby muncien » 09 Dec 2019 15:08

It is indeed interesting...
On one side, Verizon orchestrated the Real Estate and construction of the massive Pioneer HQ (also across the street), and then sold the complex to fund the next phase. Who is to say they don't intend to do the same thing there?
On the other hand, it is odd for a communications company to be so deep in the corp Real Estate business. They have sat on this land for quite some time now. Surely they have other plans for it, other than commercial speculation, no? I mean, are they really just savy business folks dabbing in a field completely unrelated to what Verizon actually does?

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 09 Dec 2019 15:13

Kelley USA wrote:
Tucy wrote:

Well for a number of reasons, unless this particular 450,000 sf is being built for someone else (which could be true). But it seems like from a financial standpoint it might make sense to do a long-term lease in a building you own as opposed to leasing from someone else. I obviously don't have the numbers to support that though. It would also put your employees right across the street from the larger campus instead of a few miles down the road. That affords you the opportunity to share meeting spaces, employee dining and fitness amenities, parking etc... Verizon is trying to create a special live-work-play environment with residential, park space and retail incorporated. I would think they would want all these new employees to have access to all of that since it would help attract and keep talent.

Fair enough, but you are also assuming that (1) their recent lease at Varidesk is pretty short term (2) the jobs that they plan to put in Varidesk space are jobs they would want to have on the main campus (not all jobs need to be in the same location; it is quite common for companies to want some separation between various functions) (3) they prefer to own their office spaces (and we actually know assumption 3 is not true...they don't even own their current campus).

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Dec 2019 12:11

I was watching a report by the Irving Convention & Visitors Bureau to the City Council... They were speaking about current and future hotel developments. I found it interesting that one of the future projects was for a Conrad Hotel. This is a pretty upscale concept by Hilton. I have no idea where they would even consider building this. I guess it could be closer to the airport to serve the business traveler, or even perhaps in the Urban Center. And just to note, projects for the Blue Star Land and Hidden Ridge were also listed so this would be separate from either of those developments.

muncien

Postby muncien » 12 Dec 2019 13:55

Kelley USA wrote:I was watching a report by the Irving Convention & Visitors Bureau to the City Council... They were speaking about current and future hotel developments. I found it interesting that one of the future projects was for a Conrad Hotel. This is a pretty upscale concept by Hilton. I have no idea where they would even consider building this. I guess it could be closer to the airport to serve the business traveler, or even perhaps in the Urban Center. And just to note, projects for the Blue Star Land and Hidden Ridge were also listed so this would be separate from either of those developments.

Interesting... Remember way back in the day how Water Street was going to get a hotel ZaZa? Perhaps that last corner of Water Street could be in play for an upscale hotel...? That would make an EXCELLENT location.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Dec 2019 14:09

muncien wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:I was watching a report by the Irving Convention & Visitors Bureau to the City Council... They were speaking about current and future hotel developments. I found it interesting that one of the future projects was for a Conrad Hotel. This is a pretty upscale concept by Hilton. I have no idea where they would even consider building this. I guess it could be closer to the airport to serve the business traveler, or even perhaps in the Urban Center. And just to note, projects for the Blue Star Land and Hidden Ridge were also listed so this would be separate from either of those developments.

Interesting... Remember way back in the day how Water Street was going to get a hotel ZaZa? Perhaps that last corner of Water Street could be in play for an upscale hotel...? That would make an EXCELLENT location.

Not a bad guess at all! I absolutely remember ZaZa as being part of the first initial Water Street plan along with Capital Grill. Boy what that development would look like today! I guess time will tell, but something on Lake Carolyn would be pretty cool. Perhaps there's a much larger development plan in the works somewhere.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 17 Dec 2019 11:31

I got a little excited when I saw an article today about the Blue Star project at 114 and 161... Then I read the article. Absolutely nothing new to report! :) Basically just says they should break ground Q1 on the retail, makes no mention of possible tenants, and then says the 2 hotels could break ground next year. Article goes on to say an office component is also part of a future plan. It's in the DMN so I'll post it:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... e-project/

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Dec 2019 10:39

A few Friday notes...

Looks like a new development is coming before P&Z for the old Shops of Las Colinas development (161 & Las Colinas Blvd). Someone has been taking soil samples and signs were posted a few days ago. Curious to see what might be coming down the pipeline.

Also crews have been out at the Northshore parcel and the adjoining parcel taking soil samples. I know the adjoining parcel is owned by Trammel Crow. In total it's about 35 acres. Could be nothing, but someone is apparently kicking the tires for a large project of some sort. Here's an old flyer from HFF when they were selling the Northshore property. You can see how big the 2 adjoining properties are.

https://my.hfflp.com/GetDocument?BBArgs ... _VaLlUbFJx

The right developer could do something really special with it!

muncien

Postby muncien » 27 Dec 2019 10:59

Kelley USA wrote:A few Friday notes...

Looks like a new development is coming before P&Z for the old Shops of Las Colinas development (161 & Las Colinas Blvd). Someone has been taking soil samples and signs were posted a few days ago. Curious to see what might be coming down the pipeline.

Also crews have been out at the Northshore parcel and the adjoining parcel taking soil samples. I know the adjoining parcel is owned by Trammel Crow. In total it's about 35 acres. Could be nothing, but someone is apparently kicking the tires for a large project of some sort. Here's an old flyer from HFF when they were selling the Northshore property. You can see how big the 2 adjoining properties are.

Dude... I've been dreaming of something bold to come along for Northshore for as long as I have known of the Urban Center. I have pretty much given up on it totally. As such, I'll just write this off as a waste of time. haha
Pls... pls... somebody, anybody... Prove me wrong. hehehe

vman

Postby vman » 27 Dec 2019 11:25

muncien wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:A few Friday notes...

I hope something happens. The Music Factory will always feel incomplete to me until there's something (sizable) across the street from it.

quacksax

Postby quacksax » 28 Dec 2019 01:49

vman wrote:I hope something happens. The Music Factory will always feel incomplete to me until there's something (sizable) across the street from it.

Agreed. I hope Promenade Pkwy gets developed and connects all of apartments on the east side of the lake to the transit station and Music Factory. Right now, neither are easy to access by foot because there's no crosswalk at Lake Carolyn Pkwy/Promenade, no sidewalks on Promenade, and a bunch of empty space. I had hoped that the parcel next to the transit station would get something cool, but it looks like another gated townhome community is coming in. Bummer.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Dec 2019 07:46

I wonder if a vertical mall would make sense here.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 28 Dec 2019 11:26

If you're expecting anything other than a Water Street or Legacy type development with cheap mid-rise apartments and first floor retail/restaurants, you will be extremely disappointed.

quacksax

Postby quacksax » 28 Dec 2019 23:40

I'm expecting to be disappointed.

muncien

Postby muncien » 30 Dec 2019 09:02

The gated townhomes adjacent to a transit station is an absolute fail on the part of P&Z. There is no excuse for letting that go through. At a bare minimum, they could have made the townhomes front right up to the street (InTown Farmers Market style). But, even that is under-built for the space.

As for North Shore... I too am certainly expecting to be disappointed. There's no way it'll be gated townhomes (knock-knock), but I'd actually be surprised if we get a Legacy/Water Street type development (in itself, another disappointment). More likely, they'll eventually approve a five story donut apartment complex, with a 'retail' space that's actually forever taken up by oversized leasing office, gym, and pool furniture storage.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 30 Dec 2019 09:26

I hadn't seen anything about another run for the gated townhomes. I know the original development barely got off the ground before they razed the one structure and sold off the land. Did another townhouse developer buy it?

I do think there's still a place for retail in the Urban Center. So far with The Music Factory and Water Street all we've basically gotten is a bunch of restaurants. I'm still amazed how busy Gap stays up on MacArthur Blvd. But you guys are right, nothing significant will probably come of these properties. I do know that Northshore is already approved for apartments, but the adjoining property is not. It is solely approved for commercial high-rise developments and I don't think the City will budge on that.

Also, if you guys haven't noticed the City has started work on the Urban Park down on Las Colinas Blvd. It's the parcel where they do fireworks and where they hold Laughs by the Lake.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 30 Dec 2019 20:22

With the Music Factory developer saying that the soil quality is mush, would high rises have to get several dollars higher rents (that compare today to the initial 1980s optimism?) to justify an extra expense on foundations?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 30 Dec 2019 21:37

I45Tex wrote:With the Music Factory developer saying that the soil quality is mush, would high rises have to get several dollars higher rents (that compare today to the initial 1980s optimism?) to justify an extra expense on foundations?

Not necessarily... Any development in Las Colinas be it a house, apartment complex, someone putting in a pool all sort of go through the same soil process. It probably is a little bit more expensive. As for the Music Factory, I think they had to go above and beyond for earthquake purposes. Their funding was tied into the structures being able to withstand a massive earthquake so they had to put hundreds of piers deep into the soil. But the reality is yes, the soil in LC is crap!

muncien

Postby muncien » 31 Dec 2019 09:19

No doubt... Have you ever driven on Hidden Ridge, past Verizon to Macarthur? That has to be one of the worst roads due to poor soil. I suspect they will have to rip up the entire thing once the rest of the Hidden Ridge development gets close to being completed.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 31 Dec 2019 13:42

Came across this little nugget for the Williams Square retail leasing plan...

https://venturedfw.com/files/listings/1 ... Square.pdf

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 Jan 2020 17:21

The development plan for the Terraces of Las Colinas came into picture today... LifeTime Fitness is looking to build a 4 story facility on 14 acres. It'll include 50K sf of outdoor pool space, a Pete's Coffee, Rare Steak & Sushi restaurant, basketball courts, co-working space etc... Looks pretty impressive! It looks like the remaining 15 acres will be parceled out for restaurant pad sites and possibly an office building. You can see scroll down and see the site plan and renderings:

https://www.cityofirving.org/DocumentCe ... et-1-06-20

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 03 Jan 2020 17:26

Anyone see anything more on the Blue Star Development tenant-wise?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 Jan 2020 09:16

TXGunLover wrote:Anyone see anything more on the Blue Star Development tenant-wise?

The only 2 names that have been mentioned thus far are Meso Maya and Starbucks. That's always subject to change though. NO permits have been pulled yet on the actual construction, but would expect to see that this month.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 Jan 2020 15:26

Stay with me here... Was doing some digging around today and came up with something that could be cool or nothing at all.

I mentioned before about soil samples being taken at the defunct Northshore property. So, I decided to jump on DCAD and see who currently owned those properties. I was pretty surprised when I saw both parcels had been purchased within the past year or so by a company at 2201 Lakeside Blvd, Richardson, TX – which is currently the headquarters for RealPage. Curious if RealPage might be quietly plotting a new Corporate Headquarters??

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 07 Jan 2020 17:45

Kelley USA wrote:Stay with me here... Was doing some digging around today and came up with something that could be cool or nothing at all.

I mentioned before about soil samples being taken at the defunct Northshore property. So, I decided to jump on DCAD and see who currently owned those properties. I was pretty surprised when I saw both parcels had been purchased within the past year or so by a company at 2201 Lakeside Blvd, Richardson, TX – which is currently the headquarters for RealPage. Curious if RealPage might be quietly plotting a new Corporate Headquarters??

Some light internet sleuthing uncovered that the "Northshore East LLC" is a subsidiary of "Seren Capital Management" (https://www.bizapedia.com/tx/northshore-east-llc.html), which is indeed an investor/owner of RealPage. They don't have a website that I can find, so no way of telling if they have other interests beyond RealPage. It could be that they're just a shell/holding company for a new corporate HQ, or it could be a foray into developing Multifamily. Given the development trend in the Urban Center, I'd guess the latter is more likely, since office occupancy is so low (Williams Square is half empty at the moment)

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 08 Jan 2020 09:57

Yes, it does appear that Seren Capital is owned by the same guy that owns RealPage. His name is Steve Winn (not Wynne). I doubt they have any interest in developing their own multifamily, but who knows, plus half the acreage is not permitted for multifamily.

If indeed RealPage is looking to build a new HQ, I would love to see them partner with KDC to build a mixed-use project. KDC did Cityline and Legacy West just to name a few. They're also working on Hidden Ridge.

I sent my findings over to the guys at Dallas Business Journal. They responded with a "very interesting indeed". They'll have more resources to dig into it and probably make a few phone calls. Maybe we'll see an article in a day or two.

muncien

Postby muncien » 08 Jan 2020 10:16

Wow... Great snooping! Curious to see what (if anything) comes of this. Sometimes, the most hush projects turn out to be the most real.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 31 Jan 2020 21:46

Panchero's in the new areas by Slim Chickens and Whiskey Cake has gone out of business.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 Feb 2020 10:25

TXGunLover wrote:Panchero's in the new areas by Slim Chickens and Whiskey Cake has gone out of business.

I saw that, and honestly I'm not surprised. I went twice and only had a decent experience. Food was average and service was a notch below adequate. If you're trying to compete in the same space as Chipotle or Freebirds then you better have good food. Not even in the same ballpark as either of those! On another note, the Mexican Sugar is coming up quickly now. I would think by Summer they'll be ready to roll.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 03 Feb 2020 10:30

Still wish the Mexican Sugar was an Ida Claire or Sixty Vines... but I do like Lupe's (Which is a different company than Whiskey Cake/Mexican Sugar/Sixty Vines/Ida Claire).

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 Feb 2020 14:27

Did a little more digging today. Turns out the parcel where they started the Northshore townhomes, which were eventually torn down, had a deed transfer at the end of 2019. It reflects an address on Maple Ave, which leads back to Seren Capital, which leads to Stephen T Winn, which leads to RealPage. So in essence the townhomes are dead and Mr Winn owns about 40+ acres in the Urban Center. Really curious what he has planned?? Assuming if you were buying the property just to sit on it as an investment, you wouldn't purchase an under construction townhouse community and tear it down. Clearly wanted that land for something?!

quacksax

Postby quacksax » 06 Feb 2020 23:11

There is a lot of dirt work happening at that site, as well as on the south side of Promenade Pkwy. I'm fairly sure that the brick fence currently surrounding the site is from the previous townhome construction. It never came down, and I think they may have even expanded it. My guess is more gated townhomes are on the way.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 Feb 2020 09:45

The townhouse parcel looks the same from when they tore it down. The brick wall will most likely stay in place until someone gets ready to build on the site. There haven't been any new permits for this site on either the residential or commercial side.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 10 Feb 2020 10:56

Whoa!! This is pretty massive. Verizon set to add 2 million sf of office at the Hidden Ridge Development in 2 separate high-rises. For context, the Pioneer Natural Resources HQ is 1 million sf. Work set to start this summer and take 3 years to complete.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... f-workers/