Knox District / Knox Park

DallasMan

Knox District / Knox Park

Postby DallasMan » 29 Nov 2016 09:33

Restarting a general thread about Knox/Henderson.

Received an email with a survey from Room and Board today:

"We're searching for a store location in the Knox District of Dallas. Specifically, we are considering combining two storefronts at 4524 McKinney Avenue, which are currently a Nest store and a former Design Within Reach showroom."

R&B would be a fantastic addition to Knox, and it would be great to have one of their stores in Dallas, finally. I wonder if this would be a big enough space, though? Can't beat the location...

Kelley USA

Re: Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

Postby Kelley USA » 29 Nov 2016 09:44

I'll put this here since I've noticed it's going vertical...

http://shopcompanies.com/properties/kno ... rdot-place

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 29 Nov 2016 11:31

I saw Bardot Place was going vertical too. I took some pics but forgot to upload them. Nothing really to see except "I" beams stinking out of the roof.

I am not familiar with Room and Board. Looks nice and a good fit for the neighborhood. If they need more space, could they take the two available spaces and go vertical? As soon as I saw the signs at NEST I was wondering if someone would combine the spaces. I had the same thought when 4510 moved, but apparently they are staying with a furniture focus in their old space. I know others have been supportive of more soft goods retailers, but I am ok with Knox Street being the furniture capital of Dallas. It makes sense with all the apts and condos going up in the area.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 29 Nov 2016 11:48

What a super-sweet shopping destination this is becoming! Certainly on the pricey side, so maybe not for the college student or struggling artist (haha) but quality is usually worth the price. I've been trying to mentally work-up a predictive relationship between Highland Park Village and what Knox is becoming. I think whatever cycle already exist among NorthPark, HPV and Knox will only strengthen the core attributes of each as nearby Dallas neighborhoods gentrify with far more residents and far more disposable income. Streetcars between downtown and Knox cannot happen soon enough.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Nov 2016 12:21

LongonBigD wrote:I saw Bardot Place was going vertical too. I took some pics but forgot to upload them. Nothing really to see except "I" beams stinking out of the roof.

I am not familiar with Room and Board. Looks nice and a good fit for the neighborhood. If they need more space, could they take the two available spaces and go vertical? As soon as I saw the signs at NEST I was wondering if someone would combine the spaces. I had the same thought when 4510 moved, but apparently, they are staying with a furniture focus in their old space. I know others have been supportive of more soft goods retailers, but I am ok with Knox Street being the furniture capital of Dallas. It makes sense with all the appts and condos going up in the area.

What is interesting about Bardot Place is the city wouldn't grant them permission to add on to the building. From what I understand they could, however, float a building over the top.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 Dec 2016 14:43

Trammell Crow Co. snags Kohler store to anchor luxury Dallas project

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... re-to.html

High Street Residential, the residential subsidiary of Dallas-based Trammell Crow Co., has landed the first Dallas-area Kohler Signature Store in its soon-to-be completed Knox Heights development, which is expected to open in early 2017.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 13 Dec 2016 15:42

Tnexster wrote:Trammell Crow Co. snags Kohler store to anchor luxury Dallas project

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... re-to.html

High Street Residential, the residential subsidiary of Dallas-based Trammell Crow Co., has landed the first Dallas-area Kohler Signature Store in its soon-to-be completed Knox Heights development, which is expected to open in early 2017.

I thought the original plan called for 2 restaurant spaces on the ground floor of this project; however, when you go to the website it lists Kohler, a hair salon, a gym, and a nail salon with "additional retail spaces coming soon." No mention of restaurants, I guess they changed the plan? Great amenities for local considering all the MF units around there.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 Dec 2016 16:36

Maybe they don't need more restaurants. I certainly like seeing varied retail options.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 13 Dec 2016 18:20

I'm glad it didn't fill up with restaurants!

dwight

Postby dwight » 21 Dec 2016 10:57

Does anyone know when Knox Street will begin the lane reduction and sidewalk expansion? Last I heard, this was approved, funded, and expected to begin in 2017. I was just wondering if anyone had any more specific information.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 21 Dec 2016 11:14

Any word on what exactly will go into the old Chili's and any word on the new apt building where Sur la Table used to be?

dwight

Postby dwight » 21 Dec 2016 11:27

Looks to me like le bilboquet is planning to open their oyster bar concept in May on the corner. The other spaces look like they are being subdivided into individual retail spaces. Could be Marine Layer or OV, but probably not Royal Blue as I've read elsewhere. I wish Royal Blue would open a store in the Knox neighborhood.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 Dec 2016 12:47

Yes, Marine Layer is going into one of those spaces...

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Dec 2016 22:38

Anyone have pix of the area.. haven't gone in ages..

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 25 Dec 2016 12:43

Trammel Crow- Knox Heights

12/24/16 Update

ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 25 Dec 2016 12:55

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 26 Dec 2016 00:36

Thanks for all the pics and for finding this rendering. I've been wondering what this would be. Appreciate the time and effort put into updating everyone.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 26 Dec 2016 08:17

Yes, thank you Kingpin for the Christmas pic drop! Really like the pairing of the renderings with the progress on a few, so it's easy to reference side by side.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 26 Dec 2016 12:06

No problem guys!

dwight

Postby dwight » 04 Jan 2017 17:49

If Knox is your beat, this webpage has a lot of information.
http://www.knoxdallas.org

dwight

Postby dwight » 27 Jan 2017 09:51

There's a "marine layer coming soon" sign up now on one of the retail spaces created in the former Chili's space.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 28 Jan 2017 08:50

The old Chili's appears to be divided up into 4 spaces and the facade is repainted. I like it!
I'm really looking forward to the development starting where Sur la Table used to be. Any news on when that may kick off?

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 28 Jan 2017 12:02

dwight wrote:There's a "marine layer coming soon" sign up now on one of the retail spaces created in the former Chili's space.

Great news! They have been looking for a nice Dallas location and will fit the neighborhood with their California casual wear.

Rocky2017

Postby Rocky2017 » 10 Feb 2017 01:11

Does anyone know what they are building behind Velvet Taco and Dickeys BBQ?

dwight

Postby dwight » 12 Feb 2017 08:15

I would say you're looking at classic 3-story condo construction..

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Feb 2017 10:15

I've noticed that kind of development has taken over the Fitzhugh side of this area. Condos going up left and right replacing single family homes and outdated apartment blocks. It is not all apartments those projects just get more press coverage. Between Oaklawn and Maple is the same thing some plots are leveled for apartment blocks other are building townhomes and a few have renovated older apartment blocks.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 13 Feb 2017 10:40

Dwight and Cowboyeagle, when you guys say "condos", what do you mean exactly? Townhomes?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Feb 2017 11:02

tanzoak wrote:Dwight and Cowboyeagle, when you guys say "condos", what do you mean exactly? Townhomes?

You're right I shouldn't use those term so interchangeably but yes I mean Townhomes. Fitzhugh and Henderson area is seeing lots of three-four story townhome construction.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 13 Feb 2017 20:34

Anyone know what the two other stores will be next to Marine Layer on Knox where Chili's used to be?

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 13 Feb 2017 21:32

On Fitzhugh it's reached all the down to Live Oak. There is even a group of townhomes under construction on Gaston and a few even south of Columbia.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 14 Feb 2017 09:41

Interestingly, most of those "Townhomes" are actually condos. "Townhome" sells better and people normally associate condo with high rise or a larger development, but most of the projects are actually in a condo regime.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 14 Feb 2017 10:06

CRE_Investor wrote:Interestingly, most of those "Townhomes" are actually condos. "Townhome" sells better and people normally associate condo with high rise or a larger development, but most of the projects are actually in a condo regime.

The point was that condo is just an ownership structure and doesn't describe the type of units going up.

Is a condo regime for townhouses atypical?

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 14 Feb 2017 12:53

tanzoak wrote:
CRE_Investor wrote:Interestingly, most of those "Townhomes" are actually condos. "Townhome" sells better and people normally associate condo with high rise or a larger development, but most of the projects are actually in a condo regime.

The point was that condo is just an ownership structure and doesn't describe the type of units going up.

Is a condo regime for townhouses atypical?

It's certainly not atypical in what's being built throughout east Dallas right now, but I don't know about other markets. You can find Townhomes that are fee simple and that's generally preferred to condo due to lower HOA fees, easier financing, etc. For example, most of the late 90s/early 2000s units built on Lewis east of Greenville are fee simple and there HOA dues are a fraction of the $150-$300+/mo most condominium units charge. I bought one of the new condo/townhomes about a year ago and would certainly have preferred fee simple ownership, but they're hard to find. I did manage to find one with lower HOA dues and wouldn't even consider anything north of about $200/mo.

You can look on DCAD and easily tell what are fee simple vs condo based on the units being platted individually vs one parcel with multiple accounts.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 14 Feb 2017 13:25

$200 sounds like a steal vs. some of the monthly HOA fees at the lux condo towers.

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 Feb 2017 13:49

I've seen HOA fees of around $1400/month along Turtle Creek. :o
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 14 Feb 2017 14:00

High rise condos are an entirely different ballgame when it comes to HOA fees. Not only are insurance and R&M much more expensive, but you typically get many more amenities like pools, fitness, and concierge staff than you do in townhouse style condos.

ozzie

Postby ozzie » 15 Feb 2017 09:22

From the DMN: Developer Southern Land Co. has filed the building permits for its high-rise apartment planned in Dallas' Knox Street district.

The 310-unit, 20-story building is planned on North Central Expressway at Oliver Street. Building permits say that the tower will cost almost $73 million.

Construction is set to begin on the building at midyear, according to a Southern Land representative. The developer has already demolished small buildings that previously occupied the site.
The project was designed by GDA Architects (renderings on their website)

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 21 Feb 2017 12:56

Rocky2017 wrote:Does anyone know what they are building behind Velvet Taco and Dickeys BBQ?

I got a Redfin alert for these this morning with the following description...

"Knox View homes is an exclusive community of 4 AIA architect designed modern residences located in the coveted Knox-Henderson neighborhood. Exceptional architectural elevations with suburb interior plans that incorporate indoor outdoor living on every floor set these homes apart. Developed with abundant landscape & space between the homes. Two unique floor plans with 3 bed+3.2 bath+study+media-game. 1st floor living & dinning that opens to a covered patio, vaulted 2-story liv. rooms , walls of floor to ceiling glass, floating stairs, ,huge balcony off the master, 3rd floor family room that opens to a 18x12 roof top covered deck with a lavish Equinox remote louver shade system that creates a resort like sanctuary."

3,800-4,000 SF priced from $899k-$950k

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Feb 2017 13:12

Can Developers only develop SF Homes there?

Some row homes would have been cool.

Not sure I'm a fan of urban mansions.

dwight

Postby dwight » 21 Feb 2017 15:29

Knox View...it will indeed be a view of the knox neighborhood...but not really in the knox neighborhood.

Also, I hope they like the smell of bbq....dickies pits are always cooking over there.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 04 Apr 2017 19:55

Popular Australian skincare brand, Aēsop is opening its second Dallas store (Knox Aēsop) in late 2017.

"Aēsop was established in Melbourne in 1987. Our objective has always been to formulate skin, hair and body care products of the finest quality; we investigate widely to source plant-based and laboratory-made ingredients, and use only those with a proven record of safety and efficacy. In each of our unique stores, informed consultants are pleased to introduce our range and to guide your selections. Alongside our commercial activities, we explore and support the arts as an avenue through which to inspire, learn and communicate. "

http://www.aesop.com/usa/

"As we establish an Aesop presence in Dallas, Texas, it is a pleasure to immerse ourselves in site and setting – investigating the unique characteristics that add flavor to the vibrant Knox-Henderson district, and the city as a whole. For our part, we felt immediately at home amid Knox-Henderson’s neighborly atmosphere, and sheltered on its tree-lined boulevards. One of the few walkable areas of the city, the district also lies astride the sylvan Katy Trail for much-needed respite from concrete confines. It will be a pleasure to welcome you to our Dallas space soon; trained consultants will be pleased to offer a personalized skin care consultation and to prescribe formulations and samples best suited to your individual needs."

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 05 Apr 2017 21:02

I guess we already knew, but it's official now:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/reta ... ing-dallas

Room & Board, a popular furniture retailer, is coming to Dallas
Maria Halkias

American-made modern home furnishings retailer Room & Board plans to open its first Texas store in Dallas later this year. The retailer which has a cult-like following already has a long online customer base in the Dallas area.
The Minneapolis-based furniture retailer is combining two spaces on McKinney Ave., just south of Knox, formerly occupied Nest and Design Within Reach. The popular Nest home and design store closed last in December after ten years. Design Within Reach moved into NorthPark last year.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 05 Apr 2017 21:27

Dallas based Erdos at home (fka IO Metro) closing all locations according to DMN. The Dallas location is directly across the street from the just announced Room and Board. The competition is stiff, particularly if RH triples in size.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/reta ... s-7-states

R1070

Postby R1070 » 06 Apr 2017 20:59

Would this big RH be in Knox though?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 06 Apr 2017 22:21

This post a few days ago on the The Katy thread...

NdoorTX wrote:Core sample drilling taking place in the parking between RH & Mecox. Also in the city owned street parking in front of RH.
Hmm... ;) :?:

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 01 May 2017 21:28

Small office building updates from Knox area.

This is the office building just north of The McKenzie.
IMG_1582.jpeg
IMG_1579.jpeg

This is an announcement for a small project on Buena Vista a block south of Knox Street backing to the Katy Trail at Buena Vista and Armstrong (immediately south of 2M building).
IMG_1578.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 05 Jun 2017 18:00

[quote="kingpin"]Image

For more info:
http://gff.com/projects/gff-architects/headquarters-office-building/

06/05/17 Update

Austin55

Postby Austin55 » 22 Jun 2017 11:12

Are the existing apartments at 4805 Mckinney on google maps still there? Seems a 5 story, GFF designed project is proposed for that site by Trinsic Residential. Called "The Hudson Apartments".

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 22 Jun 2017 21:49

Those old condos are still there for now. In fact I'm pretty sure I saw a for sale sign up for a unit there last weekend. Trinsic did Aura on McKinney a few blocks south I think.

dwight

Postby dwight » 23 Jun 2017 00:16

Those condos were bought out a couple of years ago. They've had rezoning signage for the last year for height. Trinsic building 5 stories on a podium sounds right to me.