Oak Lawn

Dtown214

Re: Oak Lawn

Postby Dtown214 » 07 Aug 2019 18:30

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Yeah, I would prefer the taller version. I am more concerned with the idea of burying more of the parking. Give them the height if they put a few more levels of parking below grade so the buildings butt is less of a huge badonkadonk.

LoL :D and yes, I do concur.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 07 Aug 2019 19:25

The shorter version looks worse. I thought OLC was concerned about the aesthetics?

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 08 Aug 2019 11:21

The Oak Lawn Committee is bordering anti-urban by restricting height. This is ridiculous.

eburress

Postby eburress » 08 Aug 2019 11:38

I wonder if the building's new C-shape will better hide the garage. I also prefer the taller design but the building's opponents did have a point about the ugliness of the building's rear. The view from Lemmon wasn't very appealing.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Aug 2019 12:19

It wouldn't matter if everything headed down Lemmon was also density-driven but instead, we have short suburban strip centers not flipping over into dense development so it will be drive-thru, drive-thru, then bam massive 8 story parking garage. The sad thing is that people would rather maintain the lower use because its the norm than promote a denser Lemmon from Oak Lawn to DNT. This project can set the tone to promote a densifying Lemmon but a fight to keep a suburban mindset is largely maintained.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 08 Aug 2019 13:42

Cbdallas wrote:The Oak Lawn Committee is bordering anti-urban by restricting height. This is ridiculous.

They've really become a terrible organization. They fight attractive, pedestrian friendly urban developments and approve drive-thru restaurants, strip centers, and surface parking.

They are obsolete.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 08 Aug 2019 14:12

This article had some insight into the dysfunction going on within that organization.

Maybe the problem with the Oak Lawn Committee is that 1) it doesn't represent enough regular folks and 2) PD193 has just evolved in a way that it no longer makes sense to speak with one voice.

Then again, I don't have a dog in this fight so I'll keep watching from my seat in Oak Cliff.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 08 Aug 2019 15:42

PD193 needs to be broken up. Some areas need higher zoning than others.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Aug 2019 16:12

I think many people forget how big the Oak Lawn district is...
oaklawnPD.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 30 Aug 2019 13:13

Centurion American has purchased what was most recently Parkgate senior apartments.

Braniff's landmark Dallas hostess college sells to developer who brought Statler back to life
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... k-to-life/

If this already has a separate thread, I could not find it. The search function on this forum is not good.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 30 Aug 2019 13:49

I will be very interested to see what they come up with for this redo. I could only come up with turning it into a boutique hotel with a flight themed style. Glad to see it will become something used.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 Aug 2019 15:45

Centurion certainly loves to buy landmarks and keep plenty of projects in the wings big and small.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 30 Aug 2019 22:04

A Braniff themed boutique hotel with a museum, as well as dining and bars, would be incredible.

If they could secure the empty triangular lot next to it, then a "Braniff Residences" multifamily tower would be nice too.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 31 Aug 2019 07:40

A seven star hotel catering to people flying to town on a private jet to buy a fancy car from the string of fancy car places on Lemmon Avenue would be great.

Park your jet at the airport hotel, ride around town for a couple days in your brand new $300,000 car, go shopping, eat out, jet away to your next destination, that's the ticket.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 31 Aug 2019 10:23

The parking is very limited on-site so any function would have to find a solution for that problem. It's one thing to be in a walkable area like the CBD or even let's say Cedar Springs nearby but this spot is separated from a lot so having enough parking for a hotel or residential operation will be needed. Doing a Hotel is easier since hotels can use valet and make deals to park somewhere else nearby. Residents expect to park in secure parking at their building.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 08 Sep 2019 16:34

Does anyone know if the Cedar Springs street re-development is still on track to start this month?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Sep 2019 09:50

Well, they have torn up Cedar Springs Rd from Lemmon to DNT in various spots so is that a part of the total larger project?

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 09 Sep 2019 12:54

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Well, they have torn up Cedar Springs Rd from Lemmon to DNT in various spots so is that a part of the total larger project?

Cedar Springs and Lemmon are parallel through the neighborhood. Do you mean from Wycliff to DNT? There were several sections of pavement removed in that area for what looked like water or sewer maintenance or upgrades.

The City of Dallas website shows a project that sounds like the street and sidewalk improvements for the strip, but it has a 2021 design deadline and 2022-24 construction timeline.

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 12.42.24 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Sep 2019 13:02

Yes, I goofed I meant Inwood to DNT. I go to the LA Fitness on Inwood and used to drive down Cedar Springs from the strip and now I am using Maple since traffic was narrowed between Hundall and Kings Rd if I try to be even more accurate.

Also word on the street is that the pride parade will head back to the gayborhood if they can fit it into the construction schedule. Overall they weren't happy with the parade being just inside Fair Park.

LuvBigD

Postby LuvBigD » 09 Sep 2019 14:50

So, are they going to have another coming out party???

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Sep 2019 15:56

The pride festival will stay at Fair Park most likely cause they want to grow that into a larger event on a bigger scale than it has been previously. The parade may still wander depending on other factors. The reality is Cedar Springs is too small for the crowd and size of participation. The security required to use a public street can get quite expensive based on the number of cops required to secure things safely so much so even the State Fair moved their opening day parade inside Fair Park to save money.

vman

Postby vman » 09 Sep 2019 16:05

cowboyeagle05 wrote:The pride festival will stay at Fair Park most likely cause they want to grow that into a larger event on a bigger scale than it has been previously. The parade may still wander depending on other factors. The reality is Cedar Springs is too small for the crowd and size of participation. The security required to use a public street can get quite expensive based on the number of cops required to secure things safely so much so even the State Fair moved their opening day parade inside Fair Park to save money.

I've never attended the Pride Festival, but did attend the Pride Parade at Fair Park this year out of curiosity...about the location. I think the Parade and the Festival should be held on the same day at Fair Park. Have the parade earlier and start the Festival immediately after, keeping the crowd at Fair Park all day. Why on Earth is the parade on a Sunday anyway? Have both events on a Saturday and let the gay bars have the bar crowd all day Sunday.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Sep 2019 16:32

cowboyeagle05 wrote:The pride festival will stay at Fair Park most likely cause they want to grow that into a larger event on a bigger scale than it has been previously. The parade may still wander depending on other factors. The reality is Cedar Springs is too small for the crowd and size of participation. The security required to use a public street can get quite expensive based on the number of cops required to secure things safely so much so even the State Fair moved their opening day parade inside Fair Park to save money.

If CS is too small for Pride how is it not too small for the giant Halloween festival?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Sep 2019 17:11

That's not a true parade they just let people walk around in the street and not as many participate. The Pride parade has so many floats, walking groups etc it goes for hours and needs plenty of staging area to line up all the groups and floats. Then add in the number of people on the sidelines that squeeze into narrow sidewalks which is on a scale that could start to compete with bigger pardaes in other cities. The Halloween Block party they have a small narrow runway they mark off in the center of the street and people walk around back and forth between the bars drunk and in costumes. It's very busy yes but not nearly as bad.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 09 Sep 2019 17:59

OrangeMike wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Well, they have torn up Cedar Springs Rd from Lemmon to DNT in various spots so is that a part of the total larger project?

Cedar Springs and Lemmon are parallel through the neighborhood. Do you mean from Wycliff to DNT? There were several sections of pavement removed in that area for what looked like water or sewer maintenance or upgrades.

The City of Dallas website shows a project that sounds like the street and sidewalk improvements for the strip, but it has a 2021 design deadline and 2022-24 construction timeline.

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 12.42.24 PM.png

Wow... That does look like the project I was referring to.. I'm pretty certain in the articles announcing the rainbow crosswalks/ entryways, they mentioned a Sept 2019 start date. So this means it may have gotten pushed back almost 3 years!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Sep 2019 09:25

https://dallasvoice.com/dallas-city-cou ... ings-road/

...Luna said that once construction begins — current projected start date is September — the crosswalks will be the last thing done. The project is expected to take six months.

Crosswalks will be the last thing done. That’s so that other construction doesn’t destroy the newly painted walkways and give utility companies time to get any expected underground work done first...

...Bidding on the contract has closed. Four contractors submitted bids and Gibson & Associates of Balch Springs won, coming in at the amount allocated for the project. The highest bid would have cost more than $2 million.

Gibson is expected to begin work in September and complete construction in March 2020.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 16 Sep 2019 17:33

Noticed a fence around the old Cedar Grove Restaurant in the Ilume building on Cedar Springs.
They have demolished the add-on that covered the patio in the front.
Any word on what is going on there?

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 18 Sep 2019 07:31

Historic Braniff Airways hostess dorm on the tollway will be restored for retail and office space

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ice-space/

Bar and restaurant on the first floor, office space above.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 20 Sep 2019 10:11

Store closing signage is up on the office supply store on Oak Lawn Ave.
Now if we could just get the post office to move.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 20 Sep 2019 10:32

R1070 wrote:Store closing signage is up on the office supply store on Oak Lawn Ave.

I wonder if they have any good closeout deals.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 23 Sep 2019 14:45

The Starbucks on Oak Lawn and Congress opened up a week or so ago, and it actually does have a small indoor area. It's still a step back in pedestrian friendliness, but I guess it could have been worse?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Sep 2019 16:09

Matt777 wrote:The Starbucks on Oak Lawn and Congress opened up a week or so ago, and it actually does have a small indoor area. It's still a step back in pedestrian friendliness, but I guess it could have been worse?

And I wonder what might go in the just-closed location at Oak Lawn and Rawlins. Such a high-traffic corner but not the easiest to access by car or by foot.

IMG_7298.JPG

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 23 Sep 2019 16:36

lakewoodhobo wrote:
Matt777 wrote:The Starbucks on Oak Lawn and Congress opened up a week or so ago, and it actually does have a small indoor area. It's still a step back in pedestrian friendliness, but I guess it could have been worse?

And I wonder what might go in the just-closed location at Oak Lawn and Rawlins. Such a high-traffic corner but not the easiest to access by car or by foot.

IMG_7298.JPG

I for one would like to see a retail shop versus another eatery/cafe. Parking is limited there anyway, so a business with lower parking needs would be ideal. I believe Warby Parker on Henderson will have to close soon for that redevelopment, so something like that would be a good fit for the space.

Or... if the Goody Goody space is in play.... that corner would be a good sized plot for a high-rise.

JDumont146

Postby JDumont146 » 23 Sep 2019 20:51

lakewoodhobo wrote:

I live at Congress and Throckmorton (just a block over from this), and I have to say, even though the development isn't even close to my urban ideal, the Starbucks has definitely increased pedestrian traffic, improved the sidewalks, and deterred the homeless people that used to hang out at this corner. Not the worst thing that could have happened. My fam and I walk down congress across Oak Lawn multiple times a week, and now we see other people going to and from the starbucks nearly every time.

dernickvw

Postby dernickvw » 24 Sep 2019 10:49

Noticed construction at the corner of Inwood and Cedar Springs. Any info? Looks like retail pad or gas station for sure.

Also, the triangular pad of lad adjacent to the Inwood/Love Field Station has been fenced off. Excited to see dirt moving at that site! Still can't seem to find renderings of that development though.

skeets

Postby skeets » 24 Sep 2019 14:41

Looks like a "Take 5 Oil Change" going in at the Inwood/Cedar Springs location.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Sep 2019 15:13

JDumont146 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:

I live at Congress and Throckmorton (just a block over from this), and I have to say, even though the development isn't even close to my urban ideal, the Starbucks has definitely increased pedestrian traffic, improved the sidewalks, and deterred the homeless people that used to hang out at this corner. Not the worst thing that could have happened. My fam and I walk down congress across Oak Lawn multiple times a week, and now we see other people going to and from the Starbucks nearly every time.

If you dig back in the thread I was hit by a car crossing at this exact crosswalk so I joke about how bad the pedestrian experience is here with personal injury experience to add to it. It is nice that Starbucks put it next to the street. I am not in love with another drive-thru but I do think there is a debatable quality to both sides of the argument cause Starbucks did add something beneficial at the same time adding real traffic to the mix.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Sep 2019 10:36

dernickvw wrote:Also, the triangular pad of lad adjacent to the Inwood/Love Field Station has been fenced off. Excited to see dirt moving at that site! Still can't seem to find renderings of that development though.

New apartment community on the way at DART station in Dallas' medical district
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -district/

Austin-based Oden Hughes is building almost 300 residential units in the first phase of the Lenox Maplewood apartments on Denton Drive near Inwood Road.

The new apartment community is being constructed next door to DART's Inwood/Love Field rail station.

The property is now occupied by a vacant shopping center and an empty lot that was previously the site of an apartment complex.

The first phase of the project will include 275 apartments and a dozen townhomes.

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 10.30.40 AM.jpg

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 25 Sep 2019 11:39

lakewoodhobo wrote:
dernickvw wrote:Also, the triangular pad of lad adjacent to the Inwood/Love Field Station has been fenced off. Excited to see dirt moving at that site! Still can't seem to find renderings of that development though.

New apartment community on the way at DART station in Dallas' medical district
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -district/

Austin-based Oden Hughes is building almost 300 residential units in the first phase of the Lenox Maplewood apartments on Denton Drive near Inwood Road.

The new apartment community is being constructed next door to DART's Inwood/Love Field rail station.

The property is now occupied by a vacant shopping center and an empty lot that was previously the site of an apartment complex.

The first phase of the project will include 275 apartments and a dozen townhomes.

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 10.30.40 AM.jpg

Too bad it won't have the planned retail there anymore.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 29 Sep 2019 19:44

Looks like dirt is finally moving on the long awaited Melrose addition

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 30 Sep 2019 21:13

uptown74 wrote:Looks like dirt is finally moving on the long awaited Melrose addition

This was posted to Dallas History Guild on Facebook. Thanks for the heads up.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 30 Sep 2019 21:54

What exactly is new addition? I forget

eburress

Postby eburress » 01 Oct 2019 06:54

I'm not sure I remember seeing any renderings but here's at least a description of the project:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/201 ... ose-hotel/

mmayland

Postby mmayland » 01 Oct 2019 12:46

https://gff.com/view/melrose-hotel-conf ... landscape/

Not sure how accurate this still is.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Oct 2019 14:47

Wow, lots of parking fronting Cedar Springs.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 01 Oct 2019 15:23

While I am glad to see this project do something at least we will see a nice new wall with some landscaping. Once again I have to wonder about the Oak Lawn Committee and any commitment to dense urban growth if they approved this layout.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 01 Oct 2019 16:02

Cbdallas wrote:While I am glad to see this project do something at least we will see a nice new wall with some landscaping. Once again I have to wonder about the Oak Lawn Committee and any commitment to dense urban growth if they approved this layout.

I agree about OLC and I've said it before. They have some seriously outdated viewpoints and are damaging the area at this point. It's good to have this kind of organization that has this much pull with the city and developers but there needs to be some fresh leadership and ideas presented. Or at least someone who can do a better job of selling those ideas to the public.

This Melrose addition is a disappointment. It demolished two long standing businesses that were part of the community and is replacing it with a wall that almost reads "we aren't a part of the gayborhood and don't want our guests seeing all that. A strip of small/tiny shops would have blocked it out better while still blending in with the neighborhood. And I mean small, even a 10-15 foot depth strip for a coffee shop, small bookstore, food stall, etc.

Oh, and the sidewalks are still thin and crappy. Great.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 01 Oct 2019 17:13

Matt777 wrote:This Melrose addition is a disappointment. It demolished two long standing businesses that were part of the community and is replacing it with a wall that almost reads "we aren't a part of the gayborhood and don't want our guests seeing all that. A strip of small/tiny shops would have blocked it out better while still blending in with the neighborhood. And I mean small, even a 10-15 foot depth strip for a coffee shop, small bookstore, food stall, etc.

Am I looking at the GFF drawing correctly? It looks like they push the sidewalk on Cedar Springs out into what is now cut-in parking and then take part of what had been public space behind their new wall.

I was going to suggest putting your strip of small/tiny shops on those cut-in parking spaces, shipping containers and food truck rotations maybe, to "reactivate" their expanded parking lot.

I still miss The Bronx.

eburress

Postby eburress » 01 Oct 2019 17:36

Matt777 wrote:
Cbdallas wrote:While I am glad to see this project do something at least we will see a nice new wall with some landscaping. Once again I have to wonder about the Oak Lawn Committee and any commitment to dense urban growth if they approved this layout.

I agree about OLC and I've said it before. They have some seriously outdated viewpoints and are damaging the area at this point. It's good to have this kind of organization that has this much pull with the city and developers but there needs to be some fresh leadership and ideas presented. Or at least someone who can do a better job of selling those ideas to the public.

This Melrose addition is a disappointment. It demolished two long standing businesses that were part of the community and is replacing it with a wall that almost reads "we aren't a part of the gayborhood and don't want our guests seeing all that. A strip of small/tiny shops would have blocked it out better while still blending in with the neighborhood. And I mean small, even a 10-15 foot depth strip for a coffee shop, small bookstore, food stall, etc.

Yeah, if this is the actual plan, what a piece of sh!t.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 10 Oct 2019 21:00

Pizza Hut at Lemmon & Oak Lawn is rumored to relocate to the Maple & Wycliff area.