Deep Ellum: Epic ~ Knights of Pythias Temple

clcrash19

Re: Deep Ellum: Epic ~ Knights of Pythias Temple

Postby clcrash19 » 19 Aug 2019 12:09

https://chicago.suntimes.com/business/2 ... ost-office

Wonder if this is completely seperate from the deep ellum transaction or if the article is true saying they picked chicago over dallas, nyc

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 19 Aug 2019 12:27

If the Sun-Times article is accurate about Dallas, I wonder what the deciding factor was this time.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 19 Aug 2019 13:00

There was a recent very long-form article in the Economist about Texas and California; specifically, it was a deep-dive into what each state's economy does "right" and what each gets "wrong". While the Economist was careful to stay relatively balanced and never declared one state superior to the other, they did point out persistent underinvestment in Texas schools and universities. Essentially, Texas has a broken school-to-knowledge-economy pipeline, and the knowledge workers who DO live and work in Texas are largely imported (...often from California!). Wouldn't be surprised if that was the factor. The Chicago Sun article certainly implies it.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Aug 2019 15:47

Chicago 2- Dallas 0

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 19 Aug 2019 15:53

Until Uber makes an official announcement there is conflicting news.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Aug 2019 16:07

As Uber weighs Dallas office, it announces major expansion in Chicago

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/tec ... on-chicago

The San Francisco-based transportation company has signed a 10-year lease for a giant office space in a former post office in downtown Chicago, according to The Chicago Tribune. The company already has thousands of employees in the city, but it will move into the bigger space.

Uber spokesman Travis Considine said the Chicago expansion does not influence the company's potential plans for Dallas.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 19 Aug 2019 16:26

This group (and city) has been burned many times before...nervous until the dotted line's signed.

Alpaca_Obsessor

Postby Alpaca_Obsessor » 19 Aug 2019 17:18

I'm actually interning with a tenant rep team here in Chicago that specializes in tech and life science companies, and although I'm a very long ways away from being personally involved in a project like this, I do make sure to keep tabs on trends regarding our local tech scene and I've had the chance to see a lot of the marketing material that we pitch to out-of-state clients looking to relocate/expand here. Pretty common theme is that we’re a major destination for midwestern universities including Northwestern, University of Chicago, University of Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. and our amenities are competitive enough to attract a decent amount of east coast Ivy-League graduates as well. We’ve got a burgeoning startup scene concentrated in downtown neighborhoods like River North, Fulton Market, the Clybourn Corridor, and Goose Island, which have huge inventories of cheaper “loft-style” office buildings left over from when those areas used to be pre-war warehouse and meatpacking districts. That startup scene is supported by a decent presence of Venture Capital, large incubator spaces like the 1861 (endowed by the billionaire Pritzker Family) and top-tier educational institutions that are located in the city like UofC and NW. Life sciences is also another field in which people (like Sterling Bay, IIT, and UofC especially) are pouring huge sums of money to support in order to retain the startups that originate here, rather than losing them to other markets once they make it big (something that’s happened quite a few times). Although we’re more expensive than Dallas, we’re still far cheaper than San Francisco and New York City while still offering comparable amenities, and the vastness of the city makes it unlikely that we’ll face a housing crunch anytime soon like what’s happening in Austin and Seattle.

Reflecting more on the point of educational institutions, I feel like Chicago has the benefit of being home to two inarguably world-class institutions, and seeing as how it’s the largest city in the region by a long shot, it automatically draws in a huge amount of graduates from the surrounding Midwest. Dallas on the other hand doesn’t have as much of a “hold” over it’s respective region and faces a decent amount of competition from Austin for tech talent. It’s tech scene isn’t as mature as Chicago’s too I feel, which is something that’s important for recruiting existing local talent.

Anyways sorry for the whole essay, this is just a topic I’ve learned lot about over this past summer so I felt like sharing. Really hoping this deal goes through though as it’s the first major relocation to the city center I can remember in a long time, and other companies will definitely take notice. After Google relocated their Chicago office to Fulton Market, the number of developments in the neighborhood seemingly doubled overnight, and now the neighborhood’s home to McDonalds' HQ, Ernst and Young, Glassdoor, WPP, Dyson, and others. I can definitely see the same happening in Deep Ellum.

If you want to read some more substantive thoughts on the tech scene, Crain’s Chicago Business has a lot of relevant material.

Chicago’s Hot Startup Turf? It’s Not Where You Think

Why Chicago is Starting to Look Like a Real Tech Town

Google Eyeing Massive Fulton Market Expansion

Glassdoor Eyes 500 New Jobs with Fulton Market Expansion

ReviewTrackers Plans Hiring Spree as it Moves To The Loop

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 19 Aug 2019 17:30

Thanks for the insight, Alpaca_Obsessor! I'm new to Dallas (my spouse and I are imported knowledge workers, albeit from the East Coast) so I'm still educating myself on these dynamics. It does seem that your observation about Dallas having a weak grip on its homegrown best and brightest may be true. Anecdotally and sadly, I can think of several new friends I've made in the past year who are already planning moves to Boston, Seattle, and San Francisco, driven by more interesting and better-paying tech jobs. :(

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 20 Aug 2019 07:56

County Commissioners are still voting today on their tax break. Wouldn't they cancel this if Chicago is a done deal?

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/Da ... 34871.html

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 20 Aug 2019 08:07

As Tnexster has said, I'm pretty sure this Chicago news is a separate deal than the contemplated expansion to Dallas. The headlines are coming at the same time and could be seen as contradictory. However, based on multiple sources, it seems they're a) growing their Chicago presence which necessitates a bigger space and b) looking to Dallas for a much bigger net new corporate/geographical expansion (apparently signed for the current Epic building and negotiating Epic II at 550K square feet, to start).

Uber is signing/negotiating leases and therefore headlines are coming at same time. Other than timing, I don't think they have much to do with each other.

Interesting to note that they're redoing their SF HQ, expanding in Chicago, and (likely) expanding into Dallas with multiple long-term and build-to-suit leases with a ~$2B Q2 loss.

Anyone have any other info that would shed different or confirmatory light?

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 20 Aug 2019 12:42

Alright well this answers the question: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/tec ... s-end-year

Dallas: 1

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 20 Aug 2019 13:02

[img]
A111F195-D089-4A8C-8C09-04FC13A5C827.jpeg
[/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Aug 2019 13:26

...how much of that is parking, for the ride share software company?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Aug 2019 13:55

They have to have somewhere to park the automatic Ubers...

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Aug 2019 14:01

Dallas finally scores a big fish. Is that tower rendering official? Looks like you could land an uber air device up there.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 20 Aug 2019 14:52

Huge for Downtown and Deep Ellum!

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 20 Aug 2019 14:57

I think this is going to spark a lot of redevelopment in inner city Dallas. Areas like South Dallas maybe become more attractive due to its proximity. I’m excited on what this could do for Dallas!

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 20 Aug 2019 15:16

Local transportation officials have sought to sweeten the deal, too. Michael Morris, the director of transportation for the North Central Texas Council of Governments, proposed committing $10 million to $15 million to improve transportation in and around Uber’s office. Among the ideas, he suggested improving nearby sidewalks and bike connections, turning land under Interstate 345 into recreational or parking space

A little concerned about this. With the amount of density this development is about to bring to that area, any investment put into 345 should be towards either tearing it down or burying it.
This should be seen as a huge incentive to begin that process.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 20 Aug 2019 15:22

Farmers Market, Deep Ellum, and East Quarter should all see incredible new dense development with this news. Finally a win for Dallas and Downtown for the future.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Aug 2019 15:30

Someone needs to remind Michael Morris the Downtown Dallas Parks has already agreed to build park land under the highway but hey if they can finally finish construction on Pearl and Ceasar Chavez maybe he can put the money to better projects like tearing out the Live Oak exit like the city and other transportation officials have recommended.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 20 Aug 2019 15:38

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Someone needs to remind Michael Morris the Downtown Dallas Parks has already agreed to build park land under the highway but hey if they can finally finish construction on Pearl and Ceasar Chavez maybe he can put the money to better projects like tearing out the Live Oak exit like the city and other transportation officials have recommended.

I assume he was referring to the wasteland between Pacific and Elm, which is not going to be part of Carpenter Park.

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 3.36.18 PM.jpg

Still if all he can think of is more parking then thanks, but no thanks. What Deep Ellum needs is better pedestrian access to Downtown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muncien

Postby muncien » 20 Aug 2019 15:54

Heck... One could even argue that this space under the freeways is more useful covered with the freeway than without. No doubt it is for two months out of the summer... Let's get rid of that Live Oak offramp and integrate all of this area. The only parking should be for food trucks.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Aug 2019 16:36

Chicago: 2 Dallas: 1.

We're on the board ladies and gents.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 20 Aug 2019 16:54

Can't read the article because it's locked, but found this headline interesting from the San Francisco Business Journal:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisc ... s-mck.html

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Aug 2019 17:10

^Isn't that interesting....

eddieg1

Postby eddieg1 » 20 Aug 2019 17:25

Uber Hub Confirmed for Dallas With 3,000 Jobs, $400 Million in Salary

Nice video in the article below about vertiports for Uber Elevate

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/Ub ... 81671.html

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 20 Aug 2019 17:28

Tnexster wrote:^Isn't that interesting....

Isn't Uber investing a bunch in their SF headquarters though? If that's the case, you'd have to think they'll be there for the foreseeable future. That plus the difference in engineering talent that still exists.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 20 Aug 2019 22:01

Kelley USA wrote:Can't read the article because it's locked ...

Only locked if you don't subscribe. :)

willyk

Postby willyk » 21 Aug 2019 04:11

Cbdallas wrote:Farmers Market, Deep Ellum, and East Quarter should all see incredible new dense development with this news. Finally a win for Dallas and Downtown for the future.

There is clearly a need for more housing and hotels to support this. I would also argue for more office space for suppliers who need to be near the mother ship, and that bodes well for the Hines and the East Quarter office projects at the very least.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 21 Aug 2019 08:34

THRILLHO wrote:
Local transportation officials have sought to sweeten the deal, too. Michael Morris, the director of transportation for the North Central Texas Council of Governments, proposed committing $10 million to $15 million to improve transportation in and around Uber’s office. Among the ideas, he suggested improving nearby sidewalks and bike connections, turning land under Interstate 345 into recreational or parking space

A little concerned about this. With the amount of density this development is about to bring to that area, any investment put into 345 should be towards either tearing it down or burying it.

Or as a huge confirmation that the project is not necessary.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 21 Aug 2019 08:42

jetnd87 wrote:
Tnexster wrote:^Isn't that interesting....

Isn't Uber investing a bunch in their SF headquarters though? If that's the case, you'd have to think they'll be there for the foreseeable future. That plus the difference in engineering talent that still exists.

"Most of Uber’s Dallas employees will work in finance, human resources and sales, Miller said." In other words a back-office operation, not a mothership tons of suppliers need to visit/orbit.

With a 20-year lease of two brand-new buildings flanking GSW's bayfront basketball arena (Chase Center), it's a pretty foreseeable future, as you say. Uber's two additional buildings at the Muni light rail station on the next block have ground-lease terms through 2032. A company that moved next to an inland freeway underpass near a neglected fairgrounds would be a company that no longer was in hypergrowth, which is what SF Bay's talent pool specializes in. That day of migration to low value will surely come for Uber, but at that point probably Uber would no longer help cement Dallas' tech talent cred no matter what it decided.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 21 Aug 2019 08:53

eddieg1 wrote:Uber Hub Confirmed for Dallas With 3,000 Jobs, $400 Million in Salary

Nice video in the article below about vertiports for Uber Elevate

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/Ub ... 81671.html

On here it says that they bought the land next to them, the lizard lounge lot. Does that mean Uber owns it or west dale? Isn't the rail line cutting through this and BB?

eburress

Postby eburress » 21 Aug 2019 08:57

In one of the Rail/Transportation threads, it looked as if the entrance to the D2 subway had been shifted to allow development on this site, so maybe the rail won't be cutting through it.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 21 Aug 2019 09:43

eburress wrote:In one of the Rail/Transportation threads, it looked as if the entrance to the D2 subway had been shifted to allow development on this site, so maybe the rail won't be cutting through it.

Now I’m confused because the original D2 portal was on Swiss, but the latest plan has it moved south between Swiss and Pacific, cutting right through Lizard Lounge.

DCAD says that Westdale purchased that property last month, so either DART needs to update it again or they could partner with Westdale to build something above the tracks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of moving the Deep Ellum Station north to Live Oak came out of meetings with Westdale and Uber, but then again DART is notoriously incompetent.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 21 Aug 2019 10:49

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/08/20/dee ... -building/

Deep Ellum folks are “scared.” They are collectively unhinged. Jeez

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 21 Aug 2019 11:07

lakewoodhobo wrote:
eburress wrote:In one of the Rail/Transportation threads, it looked as if the entrance to the D2 subway had been shifted to allow development on this site, so maybe the rail won't be cutting through it.

Now I’m confused because the original D2 portal was on Swiss, but the latest plan has it moved south between Swiss and Pacific, cutting right through Lizard Lounge.

DCAD says that Westdale purchased that property last month, so either DART needs to update it again or they could partner with Westdale to build something above the tracks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of moving the Deep Ellum Station north to Live Oak came out of meetings with Westdale and Uber, but then again DART is notoriously incompetent.

This probably belongs on the D2 thread, but a little birdy told me that D2 as it stands is essentially DOA, for multiple reasons. He also said that over the last few/several months there has been a significant uptick in momentum and interest behind the scenes for removing I-345, to the point that groups are starting to put together plans for Dallas city to properly auction off net new land parcels "liberated" by the removal of 345. We shall see...

eburress

Postby eburress » 21 Aug 2019 11:28

Removing 345 would be tremendous, and hopefully Uber's arrival will speed this timeline up so the money which might go towards the current Carpenter Park can instead be used on a better park space that doesn't need to accommodate an ugly elevated highway.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 21 Aug 2019 11:39

eburress wrote:Removing 345 would be tremendous, and hopefully Uber's arrival will speed this timeline up so the money which might go towards the current Carpenter Park can instead be used on a better park space that doesn't need to accommodate an ugly elevated highway.

A water feature like a small lake, river walk, or crystal lagoon beach would be amazing sitting where 345 is, and finally give downtown a postcard view.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 21 Aug 2019 12:04

https://dallasinnovates.com/uber-taps-d ... 3000-jobs/

Uber plans to occupy around 450,000 square feet in the second planned 23-story office tower, according to Westdale Real Estate Investment and Management, The Epic’s master developer. That tower is expected to add 470,000 square feet of office space and an additional 15,000 square feet of retail space to the development.

Construction of the second tower is designed by Perkins+Will and is slated to begin construction in the fourth quarter of this year. The planned second office tower will be designed with forward-thinking details as well as a 45,000 square foot amenity deck that is an assemblage of meeting space, a commissary, and more.

Uber’s newly announced Dallas hub is expected to include Uber Elevate.

eburress

Postby eburress » 21 Aug 2019 12:47

^^ They're not wasting much time!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Aug 2019 12:52

Kelley USA wrote:Can't read the article because it's locked, but found this headline interesting from the San Francisco Business Journal:

This story is local now....

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... allas.html

“They might share that with us privately, but they will not share that publicly, or it’s not even part of the conversation, but we know that the C-suite is here 75 percent of the time. Well, that would be your headquarters,” Beth Bowman, president and CEO of the Irving Economic Development Partnership, told the Business Times last November.

At the time, McKesson denied its headquarters was in play. But less than a month later, the company announced its headquarters was moving to Las Colinas. McKesson did not receive additional incentives to officially move its headquarters.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 21 Aug 2019 15:55

Tnexster wrote:

“They might share that with us privately, but they will not share that publicly, or it’s not even part of the conversation, but we know that the C-suite is here 75 percent of the time. Well, that would be your headquarters,” Beth Bowman, president and CEO of the Irving Economic Development Partnership, told the Business Times last November.

At the time, McKesson denied its headquarters was in play. But less than a month later...

You did read the post above where Uber has a brand new bayfront complex leased through 2039, I hope.

eburress

Postby eburress » 21 Aug 2019 16:01

I45Tex wrote:
Tnexster wrote:

At the time, McKesson denied its headquarters was in play. But less than a month later...

You did read the post above where Uber has a brand new bayfront complex leased through 2039, I hope.

Leases can be broken/subleased and buildings can be sold...

Edit - I'm not saying I think Uber's relocating their HQ, just that signing a longterm lease doesn't prohibit it. ;)

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 21 Aug 2019 16:32

Tucy wrote:
THRILLHO wrote:A little concerned about this. With the amount of density this development is about to bring to that area, any investment put into 345 should be towards either tearing it down or burying it.

Or as a huge confirmation that the project is not necessary.

Klyde Warren Park was also not necessary, but it gave the CBD a healthy connective tissue to an Uptown that was doing relatively fine without KWP, and now the entire city is all the better for its existence.

There is an opportunity to replace 345 with something that--years down the line--it will be hard to imagine Dallas without. Every day we put off dealing with 345 feels like if we continued to put off building Klyde Warren Park.

I am all for giving the Trinity river the attention it deserves, but it will always feel walled off from the CBD by the highways that divide it. There's no getting rid of those anytime soon, but 345 we can deal with. It will be the biggest missed opportunity to let it sit there when we can have a truly amazing connective tissue between the east quarter and deep ellum.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 Aug 2019 17:01

eburress wrote:
I45Tex wrote:
Tnexster wrote:

Edit - I'm not saying I think Uber's relocating their HQ, just that signing a longterm lease doesn't prohibit it. ;)

Nor is a long term lease in another area any indication as to where a HQ might be. For example, Exxon built a massive complex in Houston which houses thousands more employees than the actual HQ in Irving. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it could be possible for Uber to keep the same workforce in SF and actually move the HQ to Dallas. I think the headline is really more a product of the Journal trying to fill content.

What really excites me though is Uber Elevate. If this thing really takes off and becomes a success, Dallas will be at the forefront on this new frontier. That's when you'd see Uber really start to build a campus and see other businesses move in that help complement Uber Elevate or provide services / parts for Uber Elevate. That's the truly exciting thing to me!

eburress

Postby eburress » 21 Aug 2019 22:06

Kelley USA wrote:
eburress wrote:
I45Tex wrote:

Nor is a long term lease in another area any indication as to where a HQ might be. For example, Exxon built a massive complex in Houston which houses thousands more employees than the actual HQ in Irving. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it could be possible for Uber to keep the same workforce in SF and actually move the HQ to Dallas. I think the headline is really more a product of the Journal trying to fill content.

What really excites me though is Uber Elevate. If this thing really takes off and becomes a success, Dallas will be at the forefront on this new frontier. That's when you'd see Uber really start to build a campus and see other businesses move in that help complement Uber Elevate or provide services / parts for Uber Elevate. That's the truly exciting thing to me!

Absolutely! There have been a number of times in Dallas' history that it was at the forefront of this or that, and for all the hoopla around HSP rail or Hyperloops, Elevate could be the start of the next generation in transportation.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 21 Aug 2019 22:27

lakewoodhobo wrote:Still if all he can think of is more parking then thanks, but no thanks. What Deep Ellum needs is better pedestrian access to Downtown.

Said no one who lives or works in Deep Ellum.

Ever.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 21 Aug 2019 22:31

Kelley USA wrote:Can't read the article because it's locked, but found this headline interesting from the San Francisco Business Journal:

Hit CTRL+U to view source and scroll down near the bottom to read it.

willyk

Postby willyk » 22 Aug 2019 02:35

Huge state tax advantages to Uber if they move the HQ here, and to the C level people. So it could happen eventually. This may have been a factor for McKesson.