Trinity Forest Golf Course

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Trinity Forest Golf Course

Postby tamtagon » 06 Dec 2018 11:26

Byron Nelson is leaving Trinity Forest is among the worst possible things that could happen. The red-line time capsule existence of this part of town and incessant neglect which created the Trinity River Forest are the two situations which will not last.

This is one of the best case scenario redevelopment locations in North Texas. The forest is littered with plastic and rubber and invasive species, but it's also beautiful and getting cleaned up. That whole swath of forest decimated to haul enough dirt to elevate the golf course five feet could not be a better location for an eco-symbiotic resort hotel. The Horse Park has probably been the absolute worst, most tragically managed municipal venture of the past generation, but it will not eventually fail.

Dressage and Golf on a forest prairie, relaxing by the rooftop pool with a view of the city? It's an inevitability. Hopefully the RV Park will be a major component of future expansion of wilderness park economics since the greater Trinity River Park is turning into a birder's paradise.

itsjrd1964

Trinity Forest Golf Course

Postby itsjrd1964 » 02 Mar 2019 23:26

The 2018 Numbers Are More Proof Trinity Forest’s Public Play Rules Really Aren’t Public

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... nt-public/

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 07 Mar 2019 22:02

Looking forward to seeing the new PGA Frisco course with the Omni Hotel pick up the Byron Nelson sooner rather than later.

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 08 Mar 2019 11:14

casperitl wrote:The Byron Nelson should be moved to Frisco. Hotel, infrastructure and amenities await.

The promise of economic development in South Dallas from the Trinity Forest Golf Course will no longer happen. The idea of a hotel for instance, is now very much dead. Frisco has the hotel now.

I attended the Byron Nelson this year and it was a logistical mess. It will never improve even in the best case scenarios.

I also went to the BN this past year and I thought the Logistics were better than when it was in Irving TBH. I don't recall every hearing any kind of promise of hotels for the TF Golf course and tons of other courses don't have hotels so I don't really see that as a deal breaker.

If they do move to Frisco I can tell you at least one golfer that will not be making the trip up to see a game. Me.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 19 Mar 2019 08:15

A hotel was not only promised, an individual running for Mayor is still promising it at the Horse Park. No basis of reality for what they are saying. The promise to area residents were jobs and economic development. That did not happen and won't.

Quite a few alternative facts being trotted out by the friends of the golf course. They are either being told lies and believing them or making lies up.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 13 May 2019 07:58

Well, the Byron Nelson did not pan out this year. Drumbeat from many voices now calling for the Byron Nelson to be moved to another venue. Went by there on Saturday and there was hardly anyone attending the tournament.

The worry is that the tradition of attending the Byron Nelson will be lost. People who go to socialize or party won't attend.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 13 May 2019 08:03

I attended yesterday and also noticed fewer people. They’ll probably wait until the new courses at the PGA headquarters are finished up in Frisco and move the Byron as soon as they’re open.

muncien

Postby muncien » 13 May 2019 09:00

Moving the course from Las Colinas was a major mistake. While the old course wasn't the greatest for players, it was a HUGE hit for those who attended. The atmosphere was great, and even without the biggest players, it was almost always packed. Factor in accessibility, the number of hackers who live in the immediate area, and the Urban Center skyline, it was a perfectly fine venue.
Too much of what was promised for the new course was based on utter nonsense and wishful thinking. All of the talk of it being a possible 'major' before it was even built, expecting the course to change the area, and expecting well off enthusiasts to suddenly flock to South Dallas for the tournament is just another example of the city's incompetent leadership. Attending these events is about much more than just watching people golf. And it would take decades to create that kind of atmosphere out of thin air.
Here's to hoping the next incarnation is able to reestablish some of the success of the former location.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 May 2019 15:06

There has been temporary digital signage on I-30 approaching Fair Park for "Golf Parking". Still up this morning. I'm sure the Byron Nelson crowd was just thrilled to have to park in South Dallas and then be shuttled farther south.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 13 May 2019 15:37

Kind of a rough weekend scheduling-wise too. Heavy rains Saturday morning/early afternoon. The Kaaboo festival (which also seems to have been a bust). The JMBLYA festival (likely different clientele, but another event in the Fair Park/South Dallas area).

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 May 2019 15:52

I don't want this tournament to fail and move to Frisco, not at all. But if it does, I want the folks who forced this deal through, the same ones who forced the horse park through (which by the way supplanted a homegrown, good-for-the-neighborhood horse park) put on a new millennial pillory until they move to another town from the embarrassment.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 14 May 2019 15:10

tamtagon wrote:I don't want this tournament to fail and move to Frisco, not at all. But if it does, I want the folks who forced this deal through, the same ones who forced the horse park through (which by the way supplanted a homegrown, good-for-the-neighborhood horse park) put on a new millennial pillory until they move to another town from the embarrassment.

Who are the folks who forced this one through? I am genuinely curious, I have no idea aside from (I'm assuming) Mike Rawlings.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 17 May 2019 08:44

^ Same people who still want a tollroad along the Trinity. Same people who screwed up Victory Park where it was a disaster for a decade. Same people who want a new New York City designed park between the levees. Same. Same.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 17 May 2019 11:39

The staying power of this core group of "civic" minded folks is remarkable. The mostly municipally funded community projects promoted by this legacy group stopped being in the best interest of the city and it's residents before the turn of the century.

The horse park is the penultimate insult to civic mindedness, the publicly funded private golf course is a close second. At one point, the grand plan included 'world class' polo fields, too -- paid for by the city but virtually a members only facility.

The initiative is outstanding, horse park, golf course.... but the execution is reprehensible and the operation is even worse.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 May 2019 14:46

And of course, once the Byron Nelson does move Dallas will be stuck with an expensive useless golf course that won't have the benefit of a major tournament to keep its head above the water in terms of finances. It will be an anchor and money drain even worse than the city-funded grocery store or the Standing Wave fiasco, oh and there's that whole Trinity Bridge we can't use cause the support wires might pop and slash bike riders or pedestrians in half.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 21 May 2019 08:28

The City of Dallas promised the taxpayer that the City's investment in the golf course was to be capped at $12 million dollars. Of course that promise, even written into the ordinance was not followed.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 May 2019 09:18

Ten years from now, this course will likely look just like it's neighboring predecessor on the other side of the river. But, at least the trash got cleaned up, I suppose. ...At great cost no doubt.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 21 May 2019 15:12

Trinity Forest is still extremely exclusive and membership costs and monthly dues remain very, very high. It's at the top-end of the spectrum for DFW-area country clubs. Even if the Byron Nelson moves, I don't see that changing the exclusiveness of Trinity Forest.

Another well-regarded course, often ranked as the best in Texas, Dallas National, is also in a rather inconvenient area -- yet it still attracts full membership.

So I find it very hard to believe that the course will eventually become mediocre.

What really hurt attendance at the Byron this year was that it was held the week before the PGA Championship. Very few star players play the week before a major (though, noteably, Brooks Koepka played at the Byron and won the PGA last weekend).

The biggest controversy, as it should be, is that the club was built with taxpayer money. So, if the Byron moves and Trinity Forest remains hyper-exclusive and expensive, why did Dallas (and why does Dallas continue to) subsidize it?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 21 May 2019 20:21

I thought ATT was using some clout to get that tournament and course back into the top tier of PGA events...?

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 21 May 2019 21:30

tamtagon wrote:I thought ATT was using some clout to get that tournament and course back into the top tier of PGA events...?

I think that was the intention. Scheduling this year was a bit misfortunate for the Byron -- this is the first year the PGA Championship was played in May (in years past it was held in August). The PGA has yet to release the 2020 schedule, but I'd reckon the organizers of the Byron (and the organizers over at Colonial, where the tour plays this weekend) would want a different spot in the lineup.

The question is, though: when else can they play the "Texas Swing?" Can't move it to March -- that's the "Florida Swing" and leads up to the Masters (so it would be the same issue: players would skip it). Shouldn't move it to June -- it'll be miserably hot.

So if not May, it would have to be late April. Tight window.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 21 May 2019 21:41

Organizers say 144,000 people attended the 2019 Byron Nelson which is not a believable number given what I saw:

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... 2017-total.

Even that overinflated number is still half the crowd of 2017 per the article above.

muncien

Postby muncien » 22 May 2019 08:56

^^^
Yeah... That's not even close. The public voices of the course didn't help any. I watched several reporter interviews asking them questions and they kept repeating the same generic nonsense to every single question. I wish I had a clip to play, but it went something like this.
Reporter: How do you feel about the course condition for this tournament?
Course Representative: It's a beautiful course, the players love it, the fans love it...
Reporter: Are you concerned the course won't be ready due to the rain?
Course Representative: It's a beautiful course, the players love it, the fans love it...
Reporter: How are the crowds on these first days of the tournament?
etc. etc.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 22 May 2019 12:00

Honestly, who would go out there given the deluge we had Saturday?

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 11 Jan 2020 20:39

I can’t say I’m surprised.....

PGA Tour Says AT&T Byron Nelson Tournament Will Move After 2020

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/pga- ... ame=iossmf

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 Jan 2020 22:31

Wow, how much money was spent destroying the forest to build that golf course?

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 12 Jan 2020 10:17

Quite a few champions of this bad idea need to be called out.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Jan 2020 13:17

casperitl wrote:Quite a few champions of this bad idea need to be called out.

A serious question for you capseritl, because you would know off the top of your head: How many of those champions and direct reports of those champions are still making decisions about this golf course, adjacent horse park, and overall Trinity River Park Forest?

They all need thorough retraining and/or replacement.

I really really wanted this golf course to have the success of hosting the big (though tarnished) name tournament for decades. The absence of vision that would accommodate years for swoon-worthy amenities to be installed for the seasonal big show is curious.

It's the Momentous Institute being, something I dont know what to call it --- they've been around for 70/80 years, have raised over $150,000,000 to help over 100,000 underprivileged children.... so, like, that's a long time and a whole lotta money helping not very many kids every year. Where's all that money going, really? They should have known to plan for a decade of rebuilding the "charity" and should have had a big savings account to get them through the lean years of "charitable fund raising for the children" FULL WELL KNOWING the golf course would be fantastic BUT NOTHING IS THERE for the lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

Hopefully this will be the last vestige of the good old boy network running the Dallas Citizens Council taking control of the most valuable asset in the city.

Turn the whole thing over to the hippies so we can have a self-sustaining, clean river with clean water, thriving forests, prairies, swamps and savannas populated with trails, campsites and observation stations everyone can enjoy.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 12 Jan 2020 17:01

they've been around for 70/80 years, have raised over $150,000,000 to help over 100,000 underprivileged children.... so, like, that's a long time and a whole lotta money helping not very many kids every year. Where's all that money going, really?

Your character assasination of the Momentous Institute and the Salesmanship Club is both undeserved and disgusting. They are two of the most respected charities in Dallas. They Institute helps 6,000 kids a year, with only about 10% of expenses going to administration. The Salesmanship Club has turned the Byron Nelson into the most successful charity golf tournament in the world.

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/ ... ship-club/
https://issuu.com/momentousinstitute/do ... _report_18

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 12 Jan 2020 20:09

Holy cow! If anyone ever wonders why the bulk of relocated jobs are going to Plano, Frisco, and everywhere in the Metroplex besides Dallas, they should probably start with the seemingly unending series of brain-dead decisions made by Dallas city leaders.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Jan 2020 21:00

^word

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Jan 2020 09:47

You mean the terrible decisions made by the Dallas Citizens Council which is made up of Plano, Frisco, Mckinney residents. Saying this is the city of Dallas blunder is like saying its South Dallas fault that it's been in such bad shape for decades. I would love to put the blame on city hall but city hall is run by the 1% that is the Dallas Citizens Council and they are the leadership. City Hall is merely a made for TV drama to distract the audience from the producers running the "reality" show.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

muncien

Postby muncien » 13 Jan 2020 10:39

I kinda feel bad for laughing out loud when I first read this headline. Shame on all the folks involved with bringing the epically stupid plan to fruition, and shame on those who fell for it instead of seeing the disaster it was all along.

As much as I have railed against this plan from the beginning, even I didn't expect it to collapse so quickly.

While the Las Colinas version may not have garnered the biggest names on the tour, it did have significant local support, always presented a great experience to it's visitors, and was hugely successful for the charities involved.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 13 Jan 2020 10:59

cowboyeagle05 wrote:You mean the terrible decisions made by the Dallas Citizens Council which is made up of Plano, Frisco, Mckinney residents. Saying this is the city of Dallas blunder is like saying its South Dallas fault that it's been in such bad shape for decades. I would love to put the blame on city hall but city hall is run by the 1% that is the Dallas Citizens Council and they are the leadership. City Hall is merely a made for TV drama to distract the audience from the producers running the "reality" show.

Whoever is in charge, most of the really bad decisions seem to be in Dallas, not Frisco, not Plano, not McKinney.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 13 Jan 2020 16:37

tamtagon wrote:
casperitl wrote:Quite a few champions of this bad idea need to be called out.

A serious question for you capseritl, because you would know off the top of your head: How many of those champions and direct reports of those champions are still making decisions about this golf course, adjacent horse park, and overall Trinity River Park Forest?

They all still have their jobs. Mostly because they fired and/or transferred out the whistleblowers who contacted media or leaked information. They all still have their jobs though.

The champions of this must be held accountable. In the end the taxpayer is the bagholder. The taxpayer is responsible for this mistake and I guess in the end is solely to blame.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 14 Jan 2020 08:20

Tucy wrote: Whoever is in charge, most of the really bad decisions seem to be in Dallas, not Frisco, not Plano, not McKinney.

Perhaps because Dallas is MUCH bigger than any of those places.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 14 Jan 2020 10:57

texasstar wrote:
Tucy wrote: Whoever is in charge, most of the really bad decisions seem to be in Dallas, not Frisco, not Plano, not McKinney.

Perhaps because Dallas is MUCH bigger than any of those places.

About 18% of the area's population and easily 90% of the major boneheaded decisions and projects.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 29 Jan 2020 17:47

Sburres wrote:https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dallas-imploding-golf-course-only-the-latest-fiasco-11846753

Great article, except he was too kind (and his list of “Trail off Tears” projects was pretty abbreviated.

muncien

Postby muncien » 30 Jan 2020 09:21

Tucy wrote:
Sburres wrote:https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dallas-imploding-golf-course-only-the-latest-fiasco-11846753

Great article, except he was too kind (and his list of “Trail off Tears” projects was pretty abbreviated.

Good read, but I don't put all of these on the same level. The golf course was a total mess that provided NO benefit to the public (poor, or otherwise) at taxpayer expense. It was an off limits playground for the rich.
The Riverchon Park and Fair Park weren't going to wall off citizens. But, they would have done something that the city is responsible for (maintenance of public property), but absolutely terrible at, and also brought activities to those places that make them usable.
There is nothing beneficial about a public asset that falls into disrepair and abandonment. That does nothing to serve the public. It's worth pointing out the differences.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 09 Feb 2020 10:07

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2020/02 ... golf-club/

"The nonprofit’s $10,000-a-year lease with the city binds the Byron Nelson to be held at the Trinity Forest Golf Club for five years. It also stipulates that if PGA Tour terminates the Byron Nelson agreement earlier, the rent for the golf course adjusts to fair market value for the remainder of the term. It doesn’t require another tournament to take Byron Nelson’s place."--DMN. Hang on, since when is Trinity Forest Golf Club a non-profit? Trinity Forest Golf Charities Foundation EIN: 81-2491637 is a non-profit but as of 2/7/20 I cannot find a 990 submitted to the IRS. Company of Trinity Forest Golfers is not a non-profit as required by the contract. Plenty of other half truths in that article I take issue with. This is one of the easiest to vet out.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 09 Mar 2020 10:36

Tucy wrote:Holy cow! If anyone ever wonders why the bulk of relocated jobs are going to Plano, Frisco, and everywhere in the Metroplex besides Dallas, they should probably start with the seemingly unending series of brain-dead decisions made by Dallas city leaders.

And still more:

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/edit ... -raked-in/