Introducing the 2019 Dallas Mayoral Candidates - D Magazine

DPatel304

Introducing the 2019 Dallas Mayoral Candidates - D Magazine

Postby DPatel304 » 16 Feb 2019 14:57

Albert Black
Campaign Moments of Note:
Gave us some early mayoral race drama when him and the city secretary went back and forth about whether Black had to forfeit his Dallas Housing Authority Commission spot (eventually, he stepped down of his own accord). His $277,643 was the most money raised by any candidate in 2018.

A Quote: “I believe we can produce an economy that no matter what neighborhood you’re from, no matter your background or immigration status, we can … include you. It’s going to take a lot of work. That’s the work of our campaign.”

Regina Montoya
She raised $85,675 in 2018. And she’s hosted several events and launched block walks from her Greenville Avenue campaign headquarters. In a campaign video, she discusses her upbringing and how she found success despite often being the only woman or person of color in the room.

A Quote: “I am literally running for Dallas mayor to focus on our best resource: our people. I want to have a city that empowers its citizens through transportation and education and make sure there are real economic opportunities in all of our communities that make them vibrant and safe.”

Lynn McBee
She lived in Highland Park for more than a dozen years but moved to a luxury apartment near Klyde Warren Park in August. She also announced her candidacy at 5 p.m. on a Friday. That got a lot of scrutiny from political observers here. From there, she’s been making the rounds, meeting with people in southern Dallas and other parts of the city. She sent out mailers this week asking for contributions and expounding upon her history over three pages. True to form, she’s raised a lot of money: the first filing period showed that she raised $257,925 and had spent just $3,055. Those mailers have four pieces of paper in them. Her campaign can certainly afford it. Her endorsements include developer Jack Matthews, car dealership chain owner Clay Cooley, Billingsley Co. CEO Lucy Billingsley, and former Mary Kay CEO Richard Rogers.

A Quote: “I think when those people get to know me and get to see that—I’ve probably worked harder on behalf of the city then they have, honestly. I’ve given my volunteerism and for every tax they’ve paid, I’ve given. And I didn’t have to do that. I wanted to do that. And I love this city and I care about these people. I will say everything that I’ve been a part of—and I’ve had a lot of really great mentors. And it goes to leadership and it goes to leadership style and so, right now, this election is key. It’s really key that we’ve got the right leader and a unifier and a connector and a collaborator. And the person can bring everybody together (is one) who has had their hands dirty. I’ve had my hands dirty in these issues and worked on them and not just to read on it.”

Mike Ablon
A fifth-generation Dallasite, Ablon initially filed his campaign treasurer appointment form with the city the day before Thanksgiving and went out of town with no comment. He left empty the box indicating what office he was running for, fueling speculation among the more conspiracy-minded among us. That let him start raising money, and he made his mayoral run official a month later. In his first campaign finance report, Ablon reported raising $104,450 between November and January. With the $100,000 he loaned his campaign, he had $138,613 in the bank—same ballpark as most of his opponents. He’s made establishing the individuality of neighborhoods as the cornerstone of his campaign. He’s got signs plastered all over Oak Lawn.

A Quote: “We look at a skyline, but we live in neighborhoods. You revitalize the neighborhoods, you build in the neighborhoods, and those form the fabric of our lives. This includes everything—the fixing of the roads, the improved transportation and access … supporting police and fire so our families are safer, and giving a helping hand to schools so the district can evolve into what it can be and should be.”

Miguel Solis
Solis announced his campaign from the cramped Dolphin Heights Neighborhood Association building, a symbol of his history of working with communities in his district that have been neglected or overlooked by the city and the school district. Since then, he’s seemingly spent most of his Sundays visiting churches and meeting with parishioners and their leaders. He’s also convened something of an advisory board, hearing priorities from residents that he says will make it into his platform. His daughter received a heart transplant at three months after being born with a congenital heart transplant. He’s buds with Beto O’Rourke and has vowed to visit every neighborhood in the city—sound familiar? He announced his run after the filing deadline, so we don’t know how much he’s raised or has on hand.

A Quote: “You get a unique perspective when you serve on a school board and you work in DISD the way that I have. I’m going to bring to the table the ability to put bold ideas forward and then work to make those ideas a reality. That has been my track record in DISD and it will be my track record as mayor of Dallas.”

Alyson Kennedy
Discussed starting a revolution. Was the lead subject of a Jim Schutze feature in the Dallas Observer about the mayor’s race.

A Quote: “What we’re talking about is when working people mobilize and begin to fight in bigger numbers for our rights. I think the violence against us will come from the wealthy. And we will organize to defend ourselves.”

Scott Griggs
He launched his campaign with an image of his boots on a digital billboard along a freeway. He had a packed campaign kickoff with speeches from four current and former city council members: Philip Kingston, Omar Narvaez, Adam Medrano, and Angela Hunt. A couple weeks later, it was revealed that he and his contingent had in years past accepted maximum $1,000 campaign donations from young children. That’s not illegal, but it’s ethically suspect. He’s since donated that money and said that he missed the detail before filing the finance report. Since all that, he’s spoken before the police and fire departments—he helped solve the pension crisis—and held a number of fundraisers around town. He’s met with the restaurant association, too. We don’t know how much he’s raised yet.

A Quote: “This year the city of Dallas is going to elect a new mayor, and the new mayor is going to have the ability to change things. Dallas needs a new kind of mayor. The mayors of the past have not worked.”

Jason Villalba
Called for Griggs to step out of the race following the revelation that he took campaign contributions from young kids. Said the Citizens Police Review Board should not get an expansion of authority. Did a DPD ride-along and came away pledging to boost cop salaries. Decried the removal of the confederate memorial. Certainly seems as if he’s appealing to hard-line Republicans in a Democratic county.

A Quote: “I’m a product of our community, so I believe in the power of community.”

Eric Johnson
Johnson was the one true surprise in this race. His arrival ruffled some feathers—downtown, Uptown, and East Dallas Councilman Philip Kingston (and Griggs supporter) called his plan “stupid and insulting.” Johnson missed the only mayoral panel so far, but has managed to convince some deep-pocketed Republican business people that he’s the man for the job. Peter Beck, Richard Collins, Doug Deason, Forrest Hoglund, Ray Hunt, Maggie Murchison, Mike Myers, Jeanne Phillips, George Seay III, and Randall Stephenson all signed a letter asking for residents to contribute to his campaign. Some are skeptical that he’ll be able to split his time in the legislature and on the local campaign trail. Time will tell.

A Quote: “Dallas is a great city, but we have some serious challenges ahead of us. We need to make sure that the Dallas of tomorrow is full of opportunity for everyone. It’s time to move beyond the old divisions at City Hall and work together toward real solutions.”

Stephen Smith
Expressed a single focus on creating a 10,000-acre Trinity Nature Park to the DMN. Once cleared a trail without permission in the Trinity Forest, said it was so residents could easily access a grove of pecan trees.

A Quote: “What we’re doing is saying let’s focus on this one thing. The mayor’s job is to come up with a big idea that can be implemented and to lead the charge that way. The city manager’s job is to solve all these other smaller problems.”

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... andidates/

LongonBigD

Re: Introducing the 2019 Dallas Mayoral Candidates - D Magazine

Postby LongonBigD » 16 Feb 2019 16:12

In a similar vein - maybe I missed it, but I was very surprised to see a story on a local news station yesterday telling how Laura Miller was announcing her bid to run for City Council District 13 (currently held by Jennifer Staubach Gates). She just can't keep out of this Preston Center stuff. What is the fascination?

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 18 Feb 2019 11:54

She and her husband live in a home in that area and don't want more traffic around there it is that simple. I don't agree with that position and would love to see apartment towers and much more density there but I don't live in that district so my position really doesn't matter.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 Feb 2019 14:10

Laura Miller is out of touch with the city .. If they want to reduce traffic on NW HWY, then get rid of the retail (yeah right)...

Not to mention NW HWY is used to access an airport and a key job center..there's always going to be people using that road.. even people who don't live in district 13. This lady wants to live in a cul-de-sac but on a major arterial road. LMFAO.

..This entire Preston Center fiasco is outrageous. There's literally nothing anyone can do there ...unless you blew it all up...but that would impossible because she is opposed to development; it's a maddening circular argument..

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 03 May 2019 10:22

Great article in D Magazine that hits the mark concerning the embracing of "regionalism" versus sustainable growth.

The article states there are certain mayoral candidates for Dallas mayor that do not believe in the regionalism approach and instead want to promote Dallas ahead of the "region" and who want to place the growth of Dallas’ job base and the strength of its urban neighborhoods front and center.

Sadly I have paid little attention to the mayoral race and do not know which candidates would be supporting Dallas ahead of regional growth.

I think the time has long passed for Dallas to strongly assert itself to compete vigorously for every single economic and growth opportunity that presents itself to the "region" ... to hell with the courtesy of letting suburbs continue to siphon away plumb relocations and other possible location decisions (i.e. Dallas should have vigorously wooed the Texas Rangers to move their stadium to Dallas!).

Anyway, does anyone know the pro-Dallas candidates' names?

I for one will be supporting one of those specific candidates that seem to have the strongest chance of getting elected in what is a decidedly crowded field.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Facebook post by Erin Brockovich spurred concern by Plano residents over the local water supply. (Photo by Dean Terry via Flickr)

How Successful is Regionalism? Let’s Do the Math.
If you are drinking the regionalism Kool-Aid, then its time to take a hard look at the long-term costs of DFW's rapid decades of wild growth.

By Peter Simek, D Magazine, May 2, 2019 12:33PM

article: https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2019/05/how-successful-is-regionalism-lets-do-the-math/

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 03 May 2019 11:00

Cord1936 wrote:Great article in D Magazine that hits the mark concerning the embracing of "regionalism" versus sustainable growth.

The article states there are certain mayoral candidates for Dallas mayor that do not believe in the regionalism approach and instead want to promote Dallas ahead of the "region" and who want to place the growth of Dallas’ job base and the strength of its urban neighborhoods front and center.

Sadly I have paid little attention to the mayoral race and do not know which candidates would be supporting Dallas ahead of regional growth.

I think the time has long passed for Dallas to strongly assert itself to compete vigorously for every single economic and growth opportunity that presents itself to the "region" ... to hell with the courtesy of letting suburbs continue to siphon away plumb relocations and other possible location decisions (i.e. Dallas should have vigorously wooed the Texas Rangers to move their stadium to Dallas!).

Anyway, does anyone know the pro-Dallas candidates' names?

I for one will be supporting one of those specific candidates that seem to have the strongest chance of getting elected in what is a decidedly crowded field.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Facebook post by Erin Brockovich spurred concern by Plano residents over the local water supply. (Photo by Dean Terry via Flickr)

How Successful is Regionalism? Let’s Do the Math.
If you are drinking the regionalism Kool-Aid, then its time to take a hard look at the long-term costs of DFW's rapid decades of wild growth.

By Peter Simek, D Magazine, May 2, 2019 12:33PM

article: https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2019/05/how-successful-is-regionalism-lets-do-the-math/

I hate when cities subsidize sports stadiums; it's been studied so many times.. it's a net loss for cities. Hard pass.

Also if you're going to subsidize a stadium; make sure it's not for baseball. A sport that is dying before our very own eyes; it has had lowering attendance for many years now..

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-attendance ... 51998.html

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 03 May 2019 13:09

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Cord1936 wrote:I hate when cities subsidize sports stadiums; it's been studied so many times.. it's a net loss for cities. Hard pass.

Also if you're going to subsidize a stadium; make sure it's not for baseball. A sport that is dying before our very own eyes; it has had lowering attendance for many years now..

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-attendance ... 51998.html

^^^^^^^
It is not about the stadium itself but the substantial development that would flourish around it ... witness what has happened to what was an industrial wasteland until AT&T Stadium was built on the grounds of a former derelict piece of land ... literally billions and billions of dollars of new development has sprung up around it.

The same thing would have happened had a new ballpark gone up, let's say, at the Farmer's Market.

And the same thing would have happened had the Cowboys Stadium gone to Fair Park ... the acres of empty land surrounding Fair Park would already be lined in significant new development transforming that basically still quasi-derelict area into another Uptown/Victory Park.

That's the point ... but I see your's, too, for the baseball statistic itself. But it goes far beyond the sport.

mcrdal15

Postby mcrdal15 » 03 May 2019 15:26

Dallas needs to take a page out of Frisco's playbook, which is to not giving a flying f**k about "regionalism." I mean, seriously. You have losers like Rawlings trying to play nice with his "Mayor of DFW, good for the region" nonsense. Meanwhile, leaders in Frisco are laughing their way to another corporate relocation.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 03 May 2019 15:26

Unfortunately, the politicians who most loudly decry regionalism tend to be the same ones who vote for policies and projects that drive jobs to the suburbs.

Just this week the Morons on Marilla screwed small businesses again: https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dal ... e-11648160
Last edited by Hannibal Lecter on 03 May 2019 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

mcrdal15

Postby mcrdal15 » 03 May 2019 15:31

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Unfortunately, the politicians who most loudly decry regionalism tend to be the same ones who vote for policies and projects that drive jobs to the suburbs.

Just this week the Morons on Marilla screwed small businesses again: https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/tex ... m-11655885

You linked to an article about Texas' Driver Responsibility Program, so I'm not sure what that has to do with the city vs. the suburbs? Wrong article, perhaps?

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 03 May 2019 18:04

^ Thanks for the heads up. The D.O. has one of those stupid infinite scrolling setups, where the URL changes when you scroll down. Fixed!

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 03 May 2019 21:27

mcrdal15 wrote:Dallas needs to take a page out of Frisco's playbook, which is to not giving a flying f**k about "regionalism." I mean, seriously. You have losers like Rawlings trying to play nice with his "Mayor of DFW, good for the region" nonsense. Meanwhile, leaders in Frisco are laughing their way to another corporate relocation.

^^^^^^^
EXACTLY!!!

Instead of a regional Appeaser-in-Chief Dallas needs a Mayor with a pair! A big pair!

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 04 May 2019 12:33

The article below evidently helps clarify who are the "put Dallas first" mayoral candidates ... unfortunately it is behind a pay wall and I can't read the whole thing.

I saw in another article (from the Ft. Worth Startlegram) that Scott Grigg's was making very pro-Dallas statements at that very same Dallas Business Journal event:

"For example, current councilman Scott Griggs told the Dallas Business Journal: We need an economic development policy that puts the city of Dallas first — not the region.”"

From a Dallas Observer article about Scott Griggs a couple days ago:

"Before he took office eight years ago, Oak Cliff was still the butt of bigoted jokes, the city’s ugly brother across the river. Since then and with Griggs’ know-how and strong stewardship, Oak Cliff has embraced development while standing strong against the worst of gentrification.

He doesn’t just think it would be a nice thing if we could do some urban place-making and attract the middle class into the inner city. He’s doing it. He has scaled it up. It’s happening in his district, and he has everything to do with it."

Scott Griggs gets my vote today for next Mayor of Dallas!

Mayor candidates: Put Dallas first — not the region — in luring corporate headquarters
By Bill Hethcock, Staff Writer, Dallas Business Journal, Mar. 20, 2019

article: https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2019/03/20/mayor-candidates-dallas.html