Parking Garages

Tnexster

Parking Garages

Postby Tnexster » 27 Nov 2016 21:33

Dallas real estate developers facing 'huge issue' of the future of parking

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... -cars-park

Downtown Dallas building owners who are spending millions of dollars to construct new parking garages may be behind the times.

Employers are sardining hundreds more office workers into our 1980s skyscrapers, so owners are adding garages to accommodate all the cars.

In another generation, they may not need those new parking slots.

Some building owners are already talking about what to do with their garages when they are no longer full.

Some Dallas developers are already planning for change.

Craig Hall, who's building in the Arts District and at his Hall Park mixed-use project in Frisco, is designing new buildings with less parking in mind.

"It's a huge issue because parking is expensive, " Hall told an apartment development group meeting recently in North Dallas. "We are looking at plans to use the top of the parking garages when driverless cars come.

"We are going to build a garage with enough foundation to put apartments or a hotel at the top."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Parking Garages

Postby tamtagon » 28 Nov 2016 08:05

It was just a couple years ago we had a flurry of articles about a pending parking shortage downtown. How about that?!?!

Does the city still need to pay for a study to determine if there's enough parking downtown?

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-c ... ing-spaces

Dallas is ready to pay someone to find out if the city has enough downtown parking spaces
NOV 2015
Robert Wilonsky

...The city of Dallas has started looking for consultants to study downtown's parking needs and to come up with a plan. The request for qualifications, which is below, blames a lack of parking on some companies choosing to move to the suburbs rather than the city center ... City officials say the parking study is needed in the wake of the redo of Downtown Dallas Inc.'s Downtown Dallas 360 plan, which was adopted by the city council in 2011 and is already getting an overhaul...

The city's share of downtown public-private decision making is still tainted with an warped and sadly contrived worldview of "the suburbs." anyway...

Re: Hall Arts Office - even after the city agreed to provide"$7 million in tax increment financing reimbursements for the Hall Arts project, in recognition of the substantial contribution that the project’s public sculpture garden will make to the thriving Arts District." https://www.dallascounty.org/department/public_info/?p=655%20provide

---Didn't the developer threaten to postpone the project unless the city also provided a sweetheart lease on the underground parking garage?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Nov 2016 22:03

We just need to find a new purpose for parking garages in a driverless car world. I feel like RVs/mobile homes will become cool and popular, and parking garages will simply be re-purposed as urban trailer parks.

There wouldn't be much difference between a driverless mobile home and a studio apartment, except, with the mobile home, you're not stuck to one location. Instead of having to deal with moving your stuff every year or so, you just move your entire home to your next destination.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Nov 2016 22:08

DPatel304 wrote:We just need to find a new purpose for parking garages ... like RVs/mobile ... cool and popular... parking garages will simply be re-purposed as urban trailer parks.

you're not stuck to one location.

What a great idea! not stuck to one location... unless the ceiling is low and your RV is high. :lol:

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Nov 2016 11:06

I wonder if any of them can be converted to floor space. What was a garage may become loft style housing or pretty much whatever. The structure is there and they would need utilities run but I can't imagine it would be impossible to do that.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 29 Nov 2016 11:47

Ideally, it would be great to see them converted into lofts or something like that. I can't see developers just allowing parking garages to sit empty decades from now, so I'm sure they will find someway to utilize the space.

In the meantime, I hope Dallas doesn't go too crazy building more parking garages.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Nov 2016 13:20

Tnexster wrote:I wonder if any of them can be converted to floor space. What was a garage may become loft style housing or pretty much whatever? The structure is there and they would need utilities run but I can't imagine it would be impossible to do that.

Some garages were anticipated in the decades ago to be repurposed so a few of them have the ability to add at minimum ground floor retail space. The bigger problem with garages becoming occupiable space though is the ramps. Many are mostly slanted concrete for at least 50% of the garage. I imagine the large garage near the Old Municipal building could be the most prepared for reuse. It was built and then built onto. I imagine it has some support for a building on top or if one-half of it was removed a tower could be built attached. Parts of its ground floor show clear signs that street level retail space was potentially a part of the original plans. The reality is the story is raising an alarm for a still distant time. The positive thing is developers honestly hate building garages they cost millions out of the budget of a project. They would rather have a good excuse to get rid of them altogether if they can still lease offices just as easily without them. The problem for now pushing the no parking use DART is a nonstarter from the tenants perspective, city hall and every day citizens.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

muncien

Postby muncien » 29 Nov 2016 13:31

A solid first step would be to remove parking requirements for residential and retail within a certain distance (1/4 mile?) of a rail station, and then greatly reduce for anything within half a mile. Big corporate tenants may hold some sway when it comes to parking needs, but residents and retail are more flexible so long as foot traffic and alternatives exist (oh, and there isn't a premium added to their rent to pay for a garage).
Too much emphasis is being put on the needs of business. But the truth is, the business will go where the people are, and the people will go where it's inviting to live. If a plethora of parking garages make it less desirable to live there, than you eventually end up discouraging people & business in the end.
I realize it takes time to get there, but there are concrete actions we can take today to start us down that path.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

muncien

Postby muncien » 30 Nov 2016 09:49

This may be a stupid question... But, why isn't on-street parking in Uptown metered? Seems like a no-brainer. Parking is in high demand. Security/Services are in high demand. Use metered parking to pay for necessary security/services... ?

Metered parking is not unusual at all in cities with this kinda density. Similar could be done for areas of Oaklawn and Knox/Henderson as well.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 30 Nov 2016 10:21

The bigger problem with garages becoming occupiable space though is the ramps. Many are mostly slanted concrete for at least 50% of the garage.

The low ceilings in most parking garages are the main problem. Not conducive for high-dollar living or for even medium dollar office. The ramped floors can be built up to level with stick construction or other methods. I bet most aren't converted 50 years from now though, they will just be knocked down.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 30 Nov 2016 10:52

muncien wrote:This may be a stupid question... But, why isn't on-street parking in Uptown metered? Seems like a no-brainer. Parking is in high demand. Security/Services are in high demand. Use metered parking to pay for necessary security/services... ?

Metered parking is not unusual at all in cities with this kinda density. Similar could be done for areas of Oaklawn and Knox/Henderson as well.

I wonder if that's a left-over notion from when the city was 'investing' in new developments, hoping the neighborhood would catch on.

I think the concern over new and existing big parking garages is a mostly a time-sensitive overblow. Some of the gigantic legacy towers are itching to double adjacent/on-site parking because the trend for companies right now is settling as many workers in a space as possible, with as few personal offices as possible -- a trend that may or may not last a generation. The biggest fret for developers spending money on a garage is whether or not commuters will rideshare in the future. If doubling the employees per square foot (compared to the 80s90s) becomes the standard but carpooling actually happens and 2.5 employees arrive at work per vehicle rather than 1.5, then the garage is a waste.

Except -- there's so much un/under developed real estate, at least downtown, that the next generation of development can simply have less parking, overflowing to the excessive garage building we have today. Dallas has that flexibility.

We're seeing the same parking angst play out in Uptown, and should patio space trigger parking requirements. That's about the stupidest idea to come out of the quality of living mindset still infecting downtown decision making. People need to walk a couple blocks for many many reasons.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 30 Nov 2016 11:25

Since moving downtown, I walk everywhere. Except to a grocer. I can't imagine driving from one end of downtown to another -- it would be a bigger waste of time than simply walking.

I think I agree with Muncien re: keeping a priority on attracting residents first. Amenities will follow residents (who walk and increase foot traffic).

But if downtown is looking to make itself a "destination" for shopping and entertainment, as Brian Bolke has mentioned repeatedly in recent articles about Forty Five Ten, there's an obvious tension between the needs of residents (walkability; no parking) and the needs of those traveling downtown (parking).

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 Nov 2016 12:36

dukemeredith wrote:Since moving downtown, I walk everywhere. Except to a grocer. I can't imagine driving from one end of downtown to another -- it would be a bigger waste of time than simply walking.

I think I agree with Muncien re: keeping a priority on attracting residents first. Amenities will follow residents (who walk and increase foot traffic).

But if downtown is looking to make itself a "destination" for shopping and entertainment, as Brian Bolke has mentioned repeatedly in recent articles about Forty Five Ten, there's an obvious tension between the needs of residents (walkability; no parking) and the needs of those traveling downtown (parking).

That tension you speak of is definitely between Headington's and Neiman's goals for Main Street. Everything that Headington has brought in is meant to be destination retail, one of a kind shopping and restaurants. While the neighborhood just wants goods and services they can count on like Dry Cleaners, Grocers, Pharmacies, Local Dive Bars, Fast Casual Food etc. Of course who wins out is the developer with the cash in hand to build and tear down. Downtown Residents have a hard time arguing against companies like Headington's reinvestment in Downtown buildings. We have seen him step on the wrong toes with that surprise tear down during a Cowboy game that caused some policy changes.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Dec 2016 14:15

Downtown Dallas tower owner plans 10-story garage

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... ory-garage

New York-based Fortis Property Group — which owns the 36-story Harwood Center office tower at Bryan and Harwood streets — is asking for city approval to build the garage to accommodate the new worldwide headquarters for Jacobs Engineering Group.

Jacobs is moving its main office from Pasadena, Calif., to downtown Dallas, adding about 100 new jobs.

Fortis plans to build the almost 500-vehicle garage on Federal Street adjacent to its office high-rise. The office tower at 1999 Bryan was built in 1982.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Dec 2016 18:40

The article doesn't mention it, but I wonder if Fortis would build this garage to accommodate additional floors.

ebird

Postby ebird » 05 Dec 2016 22:45

It's too bad that it is not going to have retail on the first floor
like the garage next door.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Dec 2016 23:13

tamtagon wrote:The article doesn't mention it, but I wonder if Fortis would build this garage to accommodate additional floors.

Or maybe alternate use for the actual garage space in the future. Would be nice if they planned for extra floors on top too.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Dec 2016 00:19

What a let down. Was hoping for something better on that site

muncien

Postby muncien » 06 Dec 2016 09:47

I don't get it... There is an alley adjacent to this spot that First Baptist Dallas uses to access their garage. Surely they can design this garage to use the same alley and put retail along the ground level fronting the main road. Seems like a very small ask, and yet a big gain. Hopefully someone at the city is doing their job before coughing up the requested easement there. As for that rinky dink 'public space' next to it... Pretty useless. But the city should still leverage it to get a better garage design.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Dec 2016 12:23

I work for an Omnicom agency in this building and that article is the first time I've heard that we're threatening to leave if the garage isn't built. I know our employees are spread out over several garages but a lot of us take DART as well. Fortis is probably exaggerating in order to get approval, and I think the city should demand at least some storage space and a kiosk be built facing the little plaza on Federal St.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 02 Jan 2017 14:17

Fountain Place Parking Garage
1/2/17 Update

ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Jan 2017 12:20

Maybe one good thing about those garages is that they will block the view of the air conditioning units that have always sort of hung over the water garden.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 03 Jan 2017 12:46

The new FP garage will also bring some much-needed lower-level retail (bar and restaurant) to this part of the "Arts District."

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 20 Jan 2017 13:50

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... nstruction

A downtown Dallas skyscraper owner is weeks away from breaking ground on a major addition to the high-rise.

New York-based Fortis Property Group is building a 10 and a half story garage to serve its 36-story Harwood Center office tower at Bryan and Harwood streets.

The garage will be constructed to the west of the tower at St. Paul and Federal streets.

"We are finalizing our construction financing and soon we will be full steam ahead," said Fortis CEO Jonathan Landau. "Hopefully it will be done in less than 12 months."

Fortis recently got approvals from the City of Dallas to build the 500-space garage adjacent to the 35-year-old office tower.

"This is probably the highest end garage being built downtown," Landau said. "We are putting something that is going to look great and serve the downtown office market."

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 20 Jan 2017 21:16

dfwcre8tive wrote:"This is probably the highest end garage being built downtown," Landau said.

Lol is this real life.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 20 Jan 2017 23:33

tanzoak wrote:
dfwcre8tive wrote:"This is probably the highest end garage being built downtown," Landau said.

Lol is this real life.

I thought the same thing...

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 21 Jan 2017 08:55

Haha, yes. That is a gem.

And, the new garage will be right by one of the crappiest* benches in Downtown Dallas. . .

https://twitter.com/CTroyMathis/status/ ... 4898787330

So, basically, 4 light rail lines and 1 trolley line (and, eventually the Streetcar Central Link line) aren't enough to serve the needs of getting to and from this building. And, the tenant it is being built (at least) partly for is an engineering firm whose umbrella of industry includes transportation projects. (e.g. DFW rail station)

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 24 Jan 2017 12:35

I don't recall seeing these before:

http://ucr.com/property/fountain-place/

muncien

Postby muncien » 24 Jan 2017 12:45

Wow... That is much better than I had expected and it will no doubt bring some life to the fountains. It's also interesting that they have that pedestrian corridor extending all the way through the adjacent lot to Perot... looking to tap into that future foot traffic no doubt. Perhaps that apartment tower to the north, and whatever Headington does to the south can take advantage of that corridor. That would be much more inviting than navigating Field street through here... at least for now.

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 24 Jan 2017 12:47

CTroyMathis wrote:Haha, yes. That is a gem.

And, the new garage will be right by one of the crappiest* benches in Downtown Dallas. . .

https://twitter.com/CTroyMathis/status/ ... 4898787330

So, basically, 4 light rail lines and 1 trolley line (and, eventually the Streetcar Central Link line) aren't enough to serve the needs of getting to and from this building. And, the tenant it is being built (at least) partly for is an engineering firm whose umbrella of industry includes transportation projects. (e.g. DFW rail station)

The Grackle situation for all of downtown is getting pretty out of control.

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 24 Jan 2017 12:48

I hadn't seen those renderings of the Fountain Place garage. Looks great!

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 24 Jan 2017 12:55

"This is probably the highest-end garage being built downtown"

After seeing the Fountain Place garage, the Fortis guy clearly was stating an alternative fact.

Dale

Postby Dale » 24 Jan 2017 16:14

lakewoodhobo wrote:"This is probably the highest-end garage being built downtown"

After seeing the Fountain Place garage, the Fortis guy clearly was stating an alternative fact.

Fake News I guess.

willyk

Postby willyk » 25 Jan 2017 04:02

muncien wrote:Wow... That is much better than I had expected and it will no doubt bring some life to the fountains. It's also interesting that they have that pedestrian corridor extending all the way through the adjacent lot to Perot... looking to tap into that future foot traffic no doubt. Perhaps that apartment tower to the north, and whatever Headington does to the south can take advantage of that corridor. That would be much more inviting than navigating Field street through here... at least for now.

That's a wow. This will really activate the Ross side of the property.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 25 Jan 2017 07:08

I hope it's one of the garages being built for upward expansion, easy conversion into habitable space or some other use.

Just like the tunnels, this recent crop of parking garages may solve a specific time-sensitive problem while setting off future dilemmas constrained by a single purpose.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jan 2017 09:50

tamtagon wrote:I hope it's one of the garages being built for upward expansion, easy conversion into habitable space or some other use.

Just like the tunnels, this recent crop of parking garages may solve a specific time-sensitive problem while setting off future dilemmas constrained by a single purpose.

That is my fear. The single use Garages are the biggest detriment to the CBD as a Neighborhood. They completely kill the would be urban fabric that we desperately need.

As for the tunnels. They need to be converted to affordable housing.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jan 2017 09:54

willyk wrote:
muncien wrote:Wow... That is much better than I had expected and it will no doubt bring some life to the fountains. It's also interesting that they have that pedestrian corridor extending all the way through the adjacent lot to Perot... looking to tap into that future foot traffic no doubt. Perhaps that apartment tower to the north, and whatever Headington does to the south can take advantage of that corridor. That would be much more inviting than navigating Field street through here... at least for now.

That's a wow. This will really activate the Ross side of the property.

I don't see how this activates anything. It's simply a garage. Outside of 8 am and 5pm I would expect little use of the garage / cooridor area for the remainder of the day.

There's nothing that draws ppl to that area. Retail at the bottom would've help. This building will continue to be a dead zone.

Cabrio330

Postby Cabrio330 » 25 Jan 2017 10:03

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I don't see how this activates anything. It's simply a garage. Outside of 8 am and 5pm I would expect little use of the garage / cooridor area for the remainder of the day.

There's nothing that draws ppl to that area. Retail at the bottom would've help. This building will continue to be a dead zone.

There is retail at the bottom, as clearly depicted in the second rendering above and on the site plan shown on the 4th page of the CBRE flyer linked to above.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jan 2017 11:20

Cabrio330 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I don't see how this activates anything. It's simply a garage. Outside of 8 am and 5pm I would expect little use of the garage / cooridor area for the remainder of the day.

There is retail at the bottom, as clearly depicted in the second rendering above and on the site plan shown on the 4th page of the CBRE flyer linked to above.

Ah.... Good eye.. I didn't read the description (doh!)..

Honestly it doesn't look like retail , at least to me, in the render lol

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 25 Jan 2017 11:28

I thought there was a developer readying a 40 story apartment tower in that area which should enliven this part of downtown.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 25 Jan 2017 12:06

Cbdallas wrote:I thought there was a developer readying a 40 story apartment tower in that area which should enliven this part of downtown.

...on a different part of the block:

Blue: Most upscale garage
Red: 40 story apartment
Yellow: Shraman South Asian Museum and Learning Center, most beautiful, exotic residential tower included

Green: I don't remember, but I think didn't TCrow announce apartments here? I don't think this one belongs to Headington....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 25 Jan 2017 12:53

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Cabrio330 wrote:

Ah.... Good eye.. I didn't read the description (doh!)..

Honestly it doesn't look like retail , at least to me, in the render lol

There are not one, but two spaces for retail, as seen on pages 4 and 6 of this .pdf:

http://ucr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/ ... -flyer.pdf
Last edited by dukemeredith on 25 Jan 2017 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 25 Jan 2017 12:55

tamtagon wrote:
Cbdallas wrote:I thought there was a developer readying a 40 story apartment tower in that area which should enliven this part of downtown.

Yellow: Shraman South Asian Museum and Learning Center, most beautiful, exotic residential tower included

Green: I don't remember, but I think didn't TCrow announce apartments here? I don't think this one belongs to Headington....

I haven't seen anything recently about the South Asian Museum project, which is disappointing. Weren't design renderings supposed to come out at the end of 2016?

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 25 Jan 2017 13:38

tamtagon wrote:

Don't forget the old bank location, that's the Perot tower site.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 25 Jan 2017 13:40

tamtagon wrote:

Don't forget the old bank location, that's the Perot tower site.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Jan 2017 15:00

maconahey wrote:Image

From this angle, it reminds me a lot of McKinney & Olive

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 26 Jan 2017 11:25

Wow, they really do get their news by looking at these forums... Published 21 hours ago. A good two hours after our own maconahey posted in this thread.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... own-dallas

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 26 Jan 2017 11:34

Excerpt from that Steve Brown article:

Work started several months ago on the project, planned for completion later this year.

This sort of vague reporting is what drives me crazy. How hard is it to instead say, "Construction began in June 2016 and is expected to be complete in the third quarter of this year."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jan 2017 12:55

Steve Brown seems to operate on an old vague style of reporting where the Newspaper was king and readers are dependent on them for the news/fact finding. The times when people didn't have the natural inclination to want more info or the details. The era before googling and digital maps etc. Just tell the story in an arc and leave the details for the Encyclopedia Britannica and an Atlas. For all the improvements to the DallasNews website, they are still operating like an old fashioned newspaper where print is flat and permanent and media integration is a second thought.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 26 Jan 2017 13:53

dukemeredith wrote:Wow, they really do get their news by looking at these forums... Published 21 hours ago. A good two hours after our own maconahey posted in this thread.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... own-dallas

Also, I just noticed that the image behind the title of the article seems to omit the glass part that extends all the way to Ross. It's also on the last slide of the CBRE property flier: http://ucr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/ ... -flyer.pdf

Is the garage going up alone and the extension to Ross being attached later?