dallaz

El Fenix site

Postby dallaz » 02 Apr 2019 07:51

The whole enchilada: El Fenix's landmark Uptown Dallas property is for sale

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... perty-sale

exelone31

Re: El Fenix site

Postby exelone31 » 02 Apr 2019 08:26

dallaz wrote:The whole enchilada: El Fenix's landmark Uptown Dallas property is for sale

That would be pretty huge if this site gets redeveloped into something mixed use a la The Union. It wouldn't be something with a grocery store obviously, but mixed use with boatloads of residential/restaurants/retail.

This also presents an interesting environment for the North End Apartments. If the El Fenix site goes for a pretty penny, at what point to the property owners think about selling?

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 02 Apr 2019 08:48

exelone31 wrote:
dallaz wrote:The whole enchilada: El Fenix's landmark Uptown Dallas property is for sale

That would be pretty huge if this site gets redeveloped into something mixed use a la The Union. It wouldn't be something with a grocery store obviously, but mixed use with boatloads of residential/restaurants/retail.

This also presents an interesting environment for the North End Apartments. If the El Fenix site goes for a pretty penny, at what point to the property owners think about selling?

North End isn't going to sell, but it will be redeveloped by its current owner and likely a developer partner. The plan has been to operate as is and wait for this area of Uptown to fill in, so it's playing out to perfection. The property is 11 acres and can be redeveloped in phases or all at once, and given its size and location it will be the crown jewel of Downtown/Uptown/Victory whenever it happens.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 02 Apr 2019 09:17

Isn't the Meso Maya building landmarked? It looks quite old and I think was the Luna Tortilla factory if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully they can build around it since the parcel with the parking lot is quite large.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 02 Apr 2019 09:23

Matt777 wrote:Isn't the Meso Maya building landmarked? It looks quite old and I think was the Luna Tortilla factory if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully they can build around it since the parcel with the parking lot is quite large.

I hope so too. It's really the last vestige of little Mexico

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 Apr 2019 09:35

Matt777 wrote:Isn't the Meso Maya building landmarked? It looks quite old and I think was the Luna Tortilla factory if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully they can build around it since the parcel with the parking lot is quite large.

I hope they build around it. I don't think I've seen this happen in Dallas, but I've seen a few instances in other cities where a new high-rise is built around a historic structure and I think it looks beautiful. Forces the architect and developer to get a bit creative with the shape and orientation of the building, and the end result is you have a nice contrast of old and new.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Apr 2019 10:19

Meso Maya is landmarked. Not sure about El Fenix.

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 10.18.36 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Apr 2019 10:58

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Apr 2019 11:15

I would assume El Fenix would want space in whatever new building is built on the site.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

dzh

Postby dzh » 02 Apr 2019 13:00

CRE_Investor wrote:
exelone31 wrote:

North End isn't going to sell, but it will be redeveloped by its current owner and likely a developer partner. The plan has been to operate as is and wait for this area of Uptown to fill in, so it's playing out to perfection. The property is 11 acres and can be redeveloped in phases or all at once, and given its size and location it will be the crown jewel of Downtown/Uptown/Victory whenever it happens.

I could've sworn North End was actually owned by Hillwood. I feel like I dug that info up once. I can't seem to find any evidence of them owning it on DCAD however. Anyone know who owns North End?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Apr 2019 13:23

dzh wrote:
CRE_Investor wrote:
exelone31 wrote:

I could've sworn North End was actually owned by Hillwood. I feel like I dug that info up once. I can't seem to find any evidence of them owning it on DCAD however. Anyone know who owns North End?

North End has likely been owned by the same partnership since 1996. You're probably thinking about the Hillwood pitch to Amazon which included several properties not owned by them, including the North End apartments.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Apr 2019 13:32

If I'm seeing this right, it appears that Hunt Realty owns North End...

http://www.huntrealty.com/north-end-apartments.aspx

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 02 Apr 2019 13:41

lakewoodhobo wrote:

Meso Maya is landmarked. Not sure about El Fenix.

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 10.18.36 AM.jpg
That’s great to know. Hopefully, El Fenix can be saved...?

These buildings are some of the last structures of the former “Little Mexico” neighborhood. I wouldn’t want to see everything from that neighborhood destroyed. I would love for them to do something like The Epic in Deep Ellum.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 02 Apr 2019 13:48

Kelley USA wrote:If I'm seeing this right, it appears that Hunt Realty owns North End...

http://www.huntrealty.com/north-end-apartments.aspx

We have a winner

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 02 Apr 2019 15:53

I would think they could get approval here to build some fairly tall buildings and then maybe this would get the Perot site across Woodall to finally get their supertall out of the ground. Would love to finally see some real skyline changers as it has been a while for Dallas.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 02 Apr 2019 16:59

Cbdallas wrote:I would think they could get approval here to build some fairly tall buildings and then maybe this would get the Perot site across Woodall to finally get their supertall out of the ground. Would love to finally see some real skyline changers as it has been a while for Dallas.

You don't encourage someone else to build a "supertall" by beating them to the punch and delivering a bunch of new space that has to be absorbed before the market is ready for another building. I would encourage everyone to strongly temper their expectations for the Hillwood site since another 1MM SF office tower will likely never get built in Dallas barring an Amazon HQ2 type tenant who wants to be consolidated in a high rise rather than a campus like setting.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Apr 2019 21:00

Nice looking property from above with lots of potential, maybe they could leave the three restaurants alone and build on the parking lots? Lots of room for something tall and mixed-use, maybe something in the 40-45 floor range. Seems to be a popular number these days. Where did the name (The Triton) come from?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Apr 2019 23:55

According to the article the restaurants are there to stay with any buyer expected to build around the existing buildings. There is enough land to build a parking garage and tower so unless El Fenix is offered an amazing deal to tear down their history so that anything new can have Woodall Rogers frontage I imagine Firebird restaurant group would like to maintain the existing buildings.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Apr 2019 09:02

cowboyeagle05 wrote:According to the article the restaurants are there to stay with any buyer expected to build around the existing buildings. There is enough land to build a parking garage and tower so unless El Fenix is offered an amazing deal to tear down their history so that anything new can have Woodall Rogers frontage I imagine Firebird restaurant group would like to maintain the existing buildings.

Great news! I think that'll look very cool, and there is still plenty of room to build around it. We'll also likely see some different/creative architecture with whatever they decide to build here.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 03 Apr 2019 12:12

Tnexster wrote:Nice looking property from above with lots of potential, maybe they could leave the three restaurants alone and build on the parking lots? Lots of room for something tall and mixed-use, maybe something in the 40-45 floor range. Seems to be a popular number these days. Where did the name (The Triton) come from?

Just a guess that someone was thinking of the 3 anchor restaurants on the property / Trident was already a chewing gum brand.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 03 Apr 2019 13:31

Trifecta was too long and Tribbles might sound like an infestation.

DFW

Postby DFW » 05 Apr 2019 09:25

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Apr 2019 21:45

40 story tower here and a 40 story Harwood tower would dramatically change this area and to think even if those two blocks built that high there is still room for more. Can't wait to see what happens with this site but would miss the old El Fenix.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Sep 2021 09:10

So, has the pandemic and Field Street mega development basically knocked this one off the charts for the time being? Lots of talk about new towers buy not here.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Sep 2021 11:10

There was no project planned for the site yet it was simply up for sale do yeah I would say so.

...Uptown Dallas' iconic El Fenix restaurant hitting the market for sale.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 12 Jan 2022 14:18

Major development is in the works for downtown Dallas’ landmark El Fenix property
The more than century-old Mexican restaurant would stay put under the building plan.

A high-rise real estate project is on the drawing boards for what’s considered one of the most prime development sites of downtown Dallas’ north side.

The two-block property at Woodall Rodgers Freeway and Field Street includes the building that houses Dallas’ beloved El Fenix restaurant.

But most of the site is just used for parking.

Texas real estate firm Stonelake Capital Partners is working a plan to develop the property along with its longtime owner, Mike Karns, who heads the restaurant company that owns El Fenix.

The El Fenix and Meso Maya restaurants on the northeast side of the property would remain, and office and residential towers would be built on the vacant tracts.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -property/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 Jan 2022 09:21

Good I would hate to see El Fenix get taken down. Would never be the same.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 13 Jan 2022 12:00

If all of these developments on both sides of Woodall get going this could be a game changer for this part of urban Dallas.

eburress

Postby eburress » 13 Jan 2022 16:10

There's so much talk right now but not a single one of these projects actually seems to be happening.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Jan 2022 16:30

I have been on this forum for decades now the number of renderings I have seen...the number of articles promising project starts is longer than the interstate highway system. The developer on this one seems to have been successful in Austin with Office and residential in West Dallas so lets hope they can get this one going since they got a $555 Million investment they have been using lately.

willyk

Postby willyk » 14 Jan 2022 03:04

I have always hoped that a developer would build twin cylindrical towers to honor the Enchilada Dinner Wednesday Night Special.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Jan 2022 09:00

eburress wrote:There's so much talk right now but not a single one of these projects actually seems to be happening.

Yes, lots of game changers that never see the starting line.