Dallas Mockingbird Station

northsouth

Re: Dallas Mockingbird Station

Postby northsouth » 08 Dec 2018 18:54

https://www.dart.org/about/board/boarda ... 1dec18.pdf

Nothing concrete, but there are plans about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 08 Dec 2018 23:00

good find! two 20 story towers here would make quite the impression on this corner.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 11 Dec 2018 10:54

Tower project plans move ahead at DART's Mockingbird Station

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... rd-station

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Dec 2018 11:00

I guess this is only 30 years late... but finally maybe it's the start of many similar transit station based residential developments that'll pull the train system up the hill.

muncien

Postby muncien » 11 Dec 2018 11:42

For what it's worth... I remember seeing renderings for a massive mixed use project to be built on LA Metro's North Hollywood Station parking lot (back when I lived there). That was 20 and 30 years ago... Today, it's still a giant parking lot. lol
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Dec 2018 11:52

For those park and ride customers that use this lot, where will they go in the interim?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Dec 2018 12:04

Tnexster wrote:For those park and ride customers that use this lot, where will they go in the interim?

Keep in mind there are multiple lots. The biggest lot is towards the back of the Phoenix apartments heading towards SMU BlVD.

Typically, this lot isnt fully utilized during a normal business week.

I would imagine that the project would be done in phases so riders could still use the train during construction. They would simply use the back lot and walk a little bit more to the station.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 11 Mar 2019 10:39

Construction starts on new high-rise project near Dallas' Mockingbird Station

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Mar 2019 11:09

When once much of the mid/highrise construction was in greater Uptown, now it's fanning out. The often mentioned slow down might not be so noticeable in Dallas; with many neighborhoods now on the radar for increased density, the appeal would be increased despite the predicted slow down.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 11 Mar 2019 11:21

I'm excited to see this development take shape. It should make for a really nice complement to what's already in place at Mockingbird Station.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Mar 2019 11:25

I'm excited for this one as well. It'll put a lot more foot traffic near the DART station and the Katy Trail (or whatever it is call on that side of 75).

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 11 Mar 2019 11:51

My personal hope is that if more people begin using the Ridgewood Trail, it'll prod the City to plant more shade trees. It's a great little bike trail that connects to the Katy Trail and also White Rock Lake, but the lack of shade is brutal.

We were on the Santa Fe Trail this weekend (rented some Pedego electric bicycles from the new shop in Deep Ellum; highly recommend) and saw lots of new trees getting planted alongside. Very encouraging.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Mar 2019 11:56

I'm still surprised there are no plans for a pedestrian bridge over 75. I get that the two trails do technically connect right now, but most people aren't using that connection, and the activity just sorta dies right as you approach 75.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Mar 2019 12:00

Meanwhile, across the street neighbors in The Highland tower are fighting a new proposed zoning change that would allow a 300 ft tower to be built in a lot south of their tower.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Dalla ... html?amp=y

The state "safety" as one of their concerns but I think they're just trying to save their view.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 11 Mar 2019 15:11

As existing zoning allows a new building as tall as theirs I would say their view is already screwed.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Mar 2019 16:30

Construction starts on new high-rise project near Dallas' Mockingbird Station

The new construction is next to the eight-story Twin Sixties office tower and Magnolia Hotel.

The first phase is a more than 20-story residential tower with retail space on the ground floor.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 Mar 2019 20:42

Can't wait to see this 300 foot tower, seems that Mockingbird Station is suddenly a hot spot for high rise construction.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Mar 2019 21:22

Tnexster wrote:Can't wait to see this 300 foot tower, seems that Mockingbird Station is suddenly a hot spot for high rise construction.

I'm hoping that's because people are starting to see the value in the DART. The more development we see around DART, the more valuable it becomes, and I'd imagine eventually we reach a tipping point where it is more valuable to have density around all stations, rather than the surface parking we currently have.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 23 Mar 2019 16:24

Image27 story residential tower to be built next to The Highland Hotel & Residences located at Mockingbird & Central Expressway, Dallas

Toll Brothers is building a 27 story residential tower next to The Highland Hotel & Residences at Mockingbird Lane & Central Expressway.

This will make an incredible statement in the Mockingbird Station cluster of buildings both north and south of Mockingbird Lane.

My apologies for the graininess of the photo ... I digitized it from a postcard mailed to residents in the neighborhoods of the "M" Streets and Vickery Place (of which I'm one) by a NIMBY group who is opposing the construction of the tower.

Let's hope they fail in their efforts ... I for one am calling and lobbying the City planners and Council Member listed on the card to voice my wholehearted support for the tower's construction!

This development will only bring good to the area with greater density to better utilize the investment in the DART rail station at Mockingbird Station!

Couple this 27 story residential tower with the 20+ story residential/retail tower, "The Crossing", mentioned by Dallaz in his March 11th post above that has already broken ground next door to Mockingbird Station, and the two together will have a profound positive effect.

Refer to case Z178-176

City Planner Jen Munoz, jennifer.munoz@dallascityhall.com , 214-670-4208
Planning Commissioner Paul Ridley, pridley017@gmail.com , 214-670-3086
City Council Member Philip Kingston, philip.kingston@dallascityhall.com , 214-670-5415

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 23 Mar 2019 22:14

Love it! Build it!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Mar 2019 23:43

I mean what's the problem here? The Highland ppl cited safety... I don't know what that's even about...and there's already tons of towers literally all along 75...

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 24 Mar 2019 01:44

Not to sound like a NIMBY, but the traffic flow with 75 exit and frontage road right there makes it kinda nuts, especially at rush hour. People dive bomb to the far right lanes to turn right at Mockingbird while people on the frontage road are dive bombing left to get over to turn left onto Mockingbird or get over to the entrance ramp just past the intersection. Adding a ton of people will make it more congested. I wouldn't say "safety" is a problem, but the traffic flow through there without the additional residents is already crap.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 24 Mar 2019 09:14

This would be fantastic if it does happen, I'm loving all the added density around Mockingbird station recently. I hope it doesn't get rejected, but, at the end of the day, it isn't that big of a deal. Projects like these aren't make or break for the area, and, if it does get rejected now, I'm sure it'll happen eventually. In the meantime, we'll still likely get other similar projects nearby.

flyswatter wrote:Not to sound like a NIMBY, but the traffic flow with 75 exit and frontage road right there makes it kinda nuts, especially at rush hour. People dive bomb to the far right lanes to turn right at Mockingbird while people on the frontage road are dive bombing left to get over to turn left onto Mockingbird or get over to the entrance ramp just past the intersection. Adding a ton of people will make it more congested. I wouldn't say "safety" is a problem, but the traffic flow through there without the additional residents is already crap.

Would it be so terrible to add some congestion near a DART rail station? Perhaps people might eventually adapt and start using the rail more often? I realize this is DFW and rail is not feasible or desirable for the majority of people, but, as traffic inevitably becomes worse and worse, it'll slowly make people adapt and find other means to get around.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 Mar 2019 10:16

Mockingbird Central Plaza needs to go.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 Mar 2019 11:11

flyswatter wrote:Not to sound like a NIMBY, but the traffic flow with 75 exit and frontage road right there makes it kinda nuts, especially at rush hour. People dive bomb to the far right lanes to turn right at Mockingbird while people on the frontage road are dive bombing left to get over to turn left onto Mockingbird or get over to the entrance ramp just past the intersection. Adding a ton of people will make it more congested. I wouldn't say "safety" is a problem, but the traffic flow through there without the additional residents is already crap.

Congestion already exists. More people will already be coming to this immediate area; whether this project is accepted or not. The entire mockingbird station area is probably going to have more units than this single building.

Not to mention the area already allows for a high rise there. The fear of congestion is just a reality of city life. Congestion and cities are synonymous.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Mar 2019 11:23

Nice rendering, they are going to get so much blowback on this. They will pull every excuse they can find out of the NIMBY handbook. I hope the zoning is in place and it will make it harder to protest.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 24 Mar 2019 11:59

Ironic how we are talking about traffic congestion and championing the fact that this building is adjacent to a DART station. If traffic and parking reach a critical level, then perhaps people will consider jumping in a train more often.

dzh

Postby dzh » 24 Mar 2019 14:36

I think it may be time to start discussing a deck park for the SMU/Mockingbird station area. It seems like an ideal way to connect those two together.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 24 Mar 2019 14:41

dzh wrote:I think it may be time to start discussing a deck park for the SMU/Mockingbird station area. It seems like an ideal way to connect those two together.

^^^^^^^
Brilliant idea!

That would in fact solve many pedestrian issues related to getting over Central ... and it would set off a boom of highrise construction similar to what we have seen at Klyde Warren Park.

Then DART's Mockingbird Station would be able to live up to what true transit oriented development is about!

Let's campaign our council members to start pushing for this ... or whomever is the appropriate governmental or civic body to champion an "SMU/Mockingbird Station" deck park!

Brilliant!

dzh

Postby dzh » 24 Mar 2019 16:37

The other spots where a deck park would work wonders would be at Knox Henderson, Cityplace, and Northpark. Considering the campaign for a deck park at Legacy West has begun, then I don't see why we can't have additional ones throughout the city.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 24 Mar 2019 18:54

dzh wrote:Considering the campaign for a deck park at Legacy West has begun, then I don't see why we can't have additional ones throughout the city.

Because a deck park costs 50-100x as much to build as a regular park of the same size? Imagine if instead of KW we has 100 parks of the same size spread around the city.

eburress

Postby eburress » 24 Mar 2019 19:21

I really hope this building happens! Down with the NIMBYs! :)

muncien

Postby muncien » 25 Mar 2019 09:33

The traffic won't really be an issue to the residents who live here... It's more a burden on those who are just passing through... hence the NIMBY origination. There really is no rationale for this to not pass... Transit, Frontage access, etc... No prob.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Mar 2019 09:40

I love how people always use "traffic" and "congestion" to try and deter projects they don't like. I really doubt the 300 people that will live in this building will have any impact on traffic. The reality is half of the building will be occupied by rich SMU kids that will walk to class and Uber everywhere.

I love the design! I like how they situated the building so that most of the units will face downtown.

eburress

Postby eburress » 25 Mar 2019 10:08

^^ Too true!

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 25 Mar 2019 11:21

Build it! This is the type of development that our investment in light rail was made for. I haven't been to Mockingbird Station in awhile. How well does the new pedestrian bridge over Mockingbird connect this site to the station?

Development fantasy, after this gets off the ground, that the storage unit center behind it is developed into a long mixed use center with retail/dining facing the Katy Trail/pedestrian bridge and lots of residential above. Microunits to luxury condos.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 25 Mar 2019 13:09

Matt777 wrote:Development fantasy, after this gets off the ground, that the storage unit center behind it is developed into a long mixed use center with retail/dining facing the Katy Trail/pedestrian bridge and lots of residential above.

Very unlikely. Self Storage is one of the greatest cash cows there is. Nothing they could replace it with would be as profitable. There's a reason I've got money in three self storage REITs. The last property I had personal equity in, I tripled my investment in one year.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Mar 2019 13:15

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Very unlikely. Self Storage is one of the greatest cash cows there is. Nothing they could replace it with would be as profitable. There's a reason I've got money in three self storage REITs. The last property I had personal equity in, I tripled my investment in one year.

Wow, that's surprising/disappointing to hear. Is it because of the extremely low overhead of a self storage building? I'm just curious because I walk by CubeSmart Self Storage in Uptown which is in a prime spot, and I'm just waiting for the day where it is re-developed into something better.

EDIT: This is going on a bit of a tangent, but I'm guessing once our parking demands start to decrease, it seems like we could easily convert existing parking garages into self-storage units. That's about the only thing I could see these being used for, since they weren't really designed to be converted into anything else.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 25 Mar 2019 15:43

Low cost of construction. Low maintenance. Low labor costs. Low utilities. High rents. Some of the smaller units in that building rent for $20-25/SF/yr.

https://www.publicstorage.com/2019/self ... 41&CHID=LL

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 25 Mar 2019 16:01

The pedestrian bridge over Mockingbird would be perfect for this proposed development. The approach begins right at the northern edge of this lot. The bridge dumps you off at the Dart station.

I do wonder how this proposed building would have vehicular access. It would only be from NCX access road. Residents would have to exit at K/H and drove north to get here. But we all know they would exit Mockingbird and try an immediate acute right turn across three lanes. All the more reason to be on the trail and not on a car at this intersection.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 26 Mar 2019 09:45

ContriveDallasite wrote:Ironic how we are talking about traffic congestion and championing the fact that this building is adjacent to a DART station. If traffic and parking reach a critical level, then perhaps people will consider jumping in a train more often.

This is really too funny. Really hoping this gets built. We gotta add the residents somewhere, and this is the best place to do it if you want to alleviate traffic.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 26 Mar 2019 11:05

These nodes around the DART rail stations all need increased density and height to maximize both the urban city and our rail system that we built. If you want to live in a house that doesn't see a high rise building from your backyard there are plenty of options in the suburbs and exurbs around Dallas.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Mar 2019 12:43

Cbdallas wrote:These nodes around the DART rail stations all need increased density and height to maximize both the urban city and our rail system that we built. If you want to live in a house that doesn't see a high rise building from your backyard there are plenty of options in the suburbs and exurbs around Dallas.

Exactly. We don't want DART to continue to be the biggest 'park and ride' system, we need more people living and working along the line.

We aren't even talking about a station in Plano or Richardson, this is one stop away from Downtown, and there is already plenty of density and height in the near vicinity.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 11 May 2019 22:07

This seems to have started under the radar. A tower crane for the Twin 60s development has appeared. Looks like teo new towers will appear soon at 75/ Mockingbird. This plus the Palomar 30+ tower will be a big change for the area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 12 May 2019 00:47

NdoorTX wrote:This seems to have started under the radar. A tower crane for the Twin 60s development has appeared. Looks like teo new towers will appear soon at 75/ Mockingbird. This plus the Palomar 30+ tower will be a big change for the area.

What is the “Palomar 30+ tower”?

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 12 May 2019 00:59

R1070 wrote:
NdoorTX wrote:This seems to have started under the radar. A tower crane for the Twin 60s development has appeared. Looks like teo new towers will appear soon at 75/ Mockingbird. This plus the Palomar 30+ tower will be a big change for the area.

What is the “Palomar 30+ tower”?

Post 206 above. Highland Tower...

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 22 Sep 2019 09:33

I don't know when this was done or decided, but DART light rail on-board announcements and station signage for Mockingbird Station have changed to "SMU/Mockingbird Station".
(I don't think anything with the mixed-use development upstairs has been changed, just the DART portion.)

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 22 Sep 2019 11:06

There was a news bit a few weeks ago about it, but, I was seeing it already for awhile before that on trains w/the updated August 2019 map complete with the misspelling of the Irving Convention Center. . .
https://dart.org/maps/pdfmaps/DARTRailS ... 2aug19.pdf

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 22 Sep 2019 11:10

The other map showing current/future did succeed in spelling it correctly, though they felt they had to spell out EBJ's entire name at Union Station.
https://dart.org/ShareRoot/images/newsr ... saug19.jpg

Zmitz

Postby Zmitz » 17 Oct 2019 16:47

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -near-smu/

"Called Eastline, the 12-acre mixed-use project stretches between North Central Expressway and the DART station and includes high-rise apartments, retail, an office building and a hotel."

“It’s about energy and creating a sense of place that is more of a destination.”

"One of the retail storefronts will face the pedestrian trail that connects to Mockingbird Station and the Katy Trail."