Downtown Dallas Retail

Yak_Forger

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Yak_Forger » 24 Sep 2018 11:39

It sure is lively there ; it's definitely a good sign that the economy's doing great for them, because you don't open restaurants (which means : buy real estate and invest serious money) and see lots of people in the downtown retail streets in faltering cities... (hell, that's pretty much how economists determined that Athens' heart pulse was back : https://tranio.com/articles/street-retail-in-athens-city-centre-and-prime-suburban-areas-in-the-spotlight/) Source : my native city is like that, the central street has lost 2 shops out of 3 over the last 10 years, and now looks like the setting of a Wild West cowboy movie :lol: and to tell that the mayor of the city was the minister of labor of France! Sure gives him credency...
Last edited by Yak_Forger on 27 Sep 2018 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 24 Sep 2018 14:06

Twisted Trompo in the Metropolitan now open.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Oct 2018 15:22

Something called Real Nice is taking the vacant Mad Hatter's Cafe space inside the Hartford Building.

IMG_2901.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 26 Oct 2018 10:32

I heard yesterday from someone in the know that the sale has been finalized. Headington now owns the building containing the former Sol Irlandes space, Campisi's, Woolworth, and the State Farm Insurance space.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 26 Oct 2018 11:05

Jay9398 wrote:I heard yesterday from someone in the know that the sale has been finalized. Headington now owns the building containing the former Sol Irlandes space, Campisi's, Woolworth, and the State Farm Insurance space.

Now that Headington is fully invested in Stone Place, I hope they can continue improving the plaza for the sake of the 3 restaurants with patio seating here. Kudos to Headington for expanding the width, but with the light fixtures, landscaping and shade structures still in place where they are, the whole thing just looks halfway done.

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 10.59.58 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Oct 2018 11:45

Hopefully, after this is wrapped up, Field@Ross@Griffin will be the next project.

eburress

Postby eburress » 26 Oct 2018 12:32

I will be happy as long as Headington doesn't demolish those old structures.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Oct 2018 13:03

eburress wrote:I will be happy as long as Headington doesn't demolish those old structures.

Hell prolly destroy them and create a high end drive-thru liquor store.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Oct 2018 13:13

I just wish he would open up that greenspace as promised in previous statements to the city council.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Nov 2018 22:36

A New Irish Pub Debuts in the Dallas Arts District Next Week
In what may finally be a successful venture in a troubled spot, a new Irish pub is about to open at One Arts Plaza.

Called The Playwright Irish Pub, it's going into the space most previously occupied by Proof + Pantry. It's from Alan Kearney, a native of Ireland who also runs The Crafty Irishman in downtown Dallas.

The new pub will offer hundreds of whiskeys and scotches, plus 50 beers on tap, including a healthy Irish selection.

The Playwright is at 1722 Routh St., Suite 102, and will open at a highly civilized 10 am every day, and close at 2 am.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... rts-plaza/

This is definitely an interesting venue to open in the Arts District. I'm loving the daily late hours of this place, and it definitely sounds way more approachable the most of the higher end places in the area. Wonder how well this will do.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Dec 2018 22:27

Meet the Trio Behind Downtown Dallas’ Royal Blue Grocery

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/ ... e-grocery/

Mentioned in the article:
* 11,000 - live in the urban core
* 8200+ - existing DTD residential units
* 3100 - DTD residential units to come
* 135,000 - daytime CBD population

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 28 Dec 2018 23:38

Just checked out the progress on the Flying Biscuit Cafe space (Elm/Ervay, 1700 Pacific building). Outdoor signage is up, workers are still at it on the interior. Workers told me they are a week or 2 from being ready, while building security says it will be within a month's time. The security guy said they should open with breakfast/brunch/lunch, and if all goes well enough, expand to a dinner menu. He also said he's heard that they may be looking at weekend hours. I asked him if they said how early they'd open, he's heard 6am, but he wasn't sure.

vman

Postby vman » 08 Jan 2019 15:55

"Bigger Better Hair" has occupied some of the forever vacant retail space in the 1001 Ross apartment building.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 Jan 2019 16:59

I've heard from two different people now that, once 24-Hour Fitness opens on Ft Worth Ave, the location downtown will be permanently closed. Essentially this is a move, which might explain why it took so long for anyone to confirm the construction of 24-Hour in Oak Cliff.

No clue if this means another gym is interested in the space or what, but a lot of people work out there and I'd be surprised if it didn't go back to a Gold's, or maybe LA Fitness would want it.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 23 Jan 2019 12:49

Ugh, The Commissary downtown just announced new hours: 7am-6pm.

muncien

Postby muncien » 23 Jan 2019 14:11

Any word on City Tavern?

...OR, for that matter, whatever is replacing the old City Tavern?

Previous communications sounded like both should be up an running quickly. But it seems like it's been ages since I heard anything.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Jan 2019 14:47

muncien wrote:Any word on City Tavern?

...OR, for that matter, whatever is replacing the old City Tavern?

Previous communications sounded like both should be up an running quickly. But it seems like it's been ages since I heard anything.

City Tavern looks ready to open. Here are some photos I found on Facebook.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Jan 2019 15:20

I never went to the old City Tavern but this one looks a bit small/crowded? I'm guessing this new location won't have a patio any more, correct?

Either way, I'm excited for this to open.

vman

Postby vman » 23 Jan 2019 15:24

DPatel304 wrote:I never went to the old City Tavern but this one looks a bit small/crowded? I'm guessing this new location won't have a patio any more, correct?

Either way, I'm excited for this to open.

The old one was crowded too, but not nearly this nice. This looks awesome. Can't wait to check it out.

muncien

Postby muncien » 24 Jan 2019 11:47

No doubt! Glad they kept the general look and feel while improving aesthetic quality. I have been waiting and waiting for this place to open. If anyone catches wind of an opening date, please pass it along. Much thx!!!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Jan 2019 13:15

mdg109 wrote:Ugh, The Commissary downtown just announced new hours: 7am-6pm.

Oh man, that's very disappointing. I guess if the demand isn't there, I can't really blame them, I was just hoping we were finally at a point where we could support more late night venues in downtown.

I've actually never been to the place in the evening, so I suppose I'm part of the problem. Hopefully it won't be long before they reverse this decision and stay open later again.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 26 Jan 2019 16:49

DPatel304 wrote:

Oh man, that's very disappointing. I guess if the demand isn't there, I can't really blame them, I was just hoping we were finally at a point where we could support more late night venues in downtown.

I've actually never been to the place in the evening, so I suppose I'm part of the problem. Hopefully it won't be long before they reverse this decision and stay open later again.

Imagine a city of 10,000 inhabitants that has no grocery store, few necessary services, very little retail, and restaurants that serve only lunch - that would he downtown Dallas. Downtown always seems to be on the verge, but can never get over that hump. Perhaps it just wasn’t meant to be.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Jan 2019 17:38

Jbarn wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:

Imagine a city of 10,000 inhabitants that has no grocery store, few necessary services, very little retail, and restaurants that serve only lunch - that would he downtown Dallas. Downtown always seems to be on the verge, but can never get over that hump. Perhaps it just wasn’t meant to be.

I wouldn't go that far. Theres restaurant that are open all the time.. zenna, campisi's, the woolworth, Frankie's, twisted trompo etc... The problem with the commissary is there's nothing there that is late night dinner food. It's a bunch of cold deli sandwiches and soups.

You unconsciously don't even go there cause it doesn't sound appetizing at night. That's the reality.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 26 Jan 2019 21:45

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Jbarn wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:

I wouldn't go that far. Theres restaurant that are open all the time.. zenna, campisi's, the woolworth, Frankie's, twisted trompo etc... The problem with the commissary is there's nothing there that is late night dinner food. It's a bunch of cold deli sandwiches and soups.

You unconsciously don't even go there cause it doesn't sound appetizing at night. That's the reality.

It just seems that for the amount of people living, staying and visiting downtown, there is a great lack of amenities.

willyk

Postby willyk » 26 Jan 2019 22:57

It just seems that for the amount of people living, staying and visiting downtown, there is a great lack of amenities.

EMC seems close to having critical mass with all of the hotels and residential there. We just need a little more residential to support amenities. Near term possibilities— finish the Drever on Elm, Headington builds a condo tower on Main, we get some 5-6 story stuff in the East Quarter on Commerce. An attractive retailer could come along and energize the area too— TJs, CB2, Urban Target and Uniqlo could all do well in EMC. The AT&T redo and the jobs they are adding will bring energy too.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 28 Jan 2019 13:30

I was just downtown last night from about 6-8pm. I was surprised to see the amount of people on a Sunday night walking around and on scooters/bikes. Luckily Royal Blue stays open until midnight everyday. There were a few of us working on stuff at the cafe section. Walking around, I noticed the Irish pub was packed inside and out, as were the restaurants at the base of The Wilson. Statler was busy too. Trompo and the Wings place at the Metropolitan were also busy. I left feeling pretty optimistic. Hopefully with the AT&T Discovery district completed we can get more retail.
Last edited by mdg109 on 28 Jan 2019 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Jan 2019 13:43

At some point, the quiet areas of the CBD will become a welcome block or two of inactivity for residents. As long as the busy "24 Hour" hives of activity are generally contained, the whole city benefits by a varied array of activity.... eventually.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 29 Jan 2019 13:55

tamtagon wrote:At some point, the quiet areas of the CBD will become a welcome block or two of inactivity for residents. As long as the busy "24 Hour" hives of activity are generally contained, the whole city benefits by a varied array of activity.... eventually.

We are still a decade or two away from that. Parts of CBD are still dead on week days during non lunchtime hours. :lol:

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 29 Jan 2019 15:40

Perception is the biggest hurdle for downtown area residents, now. Geographic definitions are less important than proximity and neighborhood walkability. The Farmers Market is far more connected to Deep Ellum than to The West End -- it's about the same distance from FM to Baylor Hospital as it is to the Aquarium, but in the minds of many/most people, Farmers Market and West End residents are the same.

The parts of the CBD which are quiet and dead most of the time need some protection.... this is where CBD residents will go to get away from the noise and predictability of their block(s); it's a buffer for residents, and these areas benefit from the perception of being dead zones by the disinterested, unaffected suburban office workers with little interest in downtown area amenities.

It is a ways away, but could turn on a dime.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 30 Jan 2019 13:24

muncien wrote:No doubt! Glad they kept the general look and feel while improving aesthetic quality. I have been waiting and waiting for this place to open. If anyone catches wind of an opening date, please pass it along. Much thx!!!

The new City Tavern location is opening this afternoon at 4 PM.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 30 Jan 2019 19:54

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I'll try and check it out as soon as I can, but that likely won't be for another week or so.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 18 Mar 2019 15:09

Noticed that City Hall Bistro now has an entrance on Main St. next to Which Wich. Also, a juice place is opening next door to Bread Zeppelin.

IMG_6686.jpg
IMG_6687.jpg

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 18 Mar 2019 15:28

Nice! Didn't know about the juice place. Walked around the West End, and noticed a sign and some construction at the old Ellen's place. Sign says it's for "Burgerim."

vman

Postby vman » 19 Mar 2019 07:13

mdg109 wrote:Nice! Didn't know about the juice place. Walked around the West End, and noticed a sign and some construction at the old Ellen's place. Sign says it's for "Burgerim."

Glad to see something happening in this space. I always thought this location would be great for a coffee shop. I know I will be murdered here for suggesting a Starbucks, but I always thought this location would have been perfect for one.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Mar 2019 20:36

Burgerim, noted for mini burgers, is opening a location in downtown Dallas, at 1722 N. Market St. Their burgers are 3-ounce patties, so you can choose from an uno, duo, trio, or 16 pack, as well as from a variety of buns, sauces, patty options, and toppings. Founded in Israel, the chain is in the midst of a big DFW expansion, with about a dozen locations open already and another dozen on the way. But hey, this is downtown Dallas, so it's special.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... s-statler/

Some information about the upcoming Burgerim place...

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 20 Mar 2019 20:33

lakewoodhobo wrote:Noticed that City Hall Bistro now has an entrance on Main St. next to Which Wich. Also, a juice place is opening next door to Bread Zeppelin.

IMG_6686.jpgIMG_6687.jpg

Glad to see something going in here. This block is sad. Downtown seems to have stalled.

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 20 Mar 2019 21:04

Jbarn wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:Noticed that City Hall Bistro now has an entrance on Main St. next to Which Wich. Also, a juice place is opening next door to Bread Zeppelin.

IMG_6686.jpgIMG_6687.jpg

Glad to see something going in here. This block is sad. Downtown seems to have stalled.

It might not be the ONLY problem but one of the major problems is Headington. Their Davis building renovation project and their purchase/renovation of Sol Irlandes are both taking forever. All the hundreds of residents that would live in the Davis building are not spending money or walking around Main Street. Then add the lengthy Main Street repaving project. Taken together, businesses like Which Wich now close at 4 pm, and even Headington's own Commissary now closes at 6pm.

It's sad because it seems all of these major construction projects started at the same time. It will be very different in a couple years when these projects are finally finished, the new bar under construction in the old City Tavern location is open, and AT&T's discovery district is open.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 21 Mar 2019 09:45

Yea I'd imagine it's a temporary stall due to the insane amount of construction in the area (and greater downtown). I jogged through multiple parts of downtown 2 days ago (including this one), and literally almost every block is under some form of construction - both aggravating and exciting.

Medium/long term this should be a good thing, but as we've seen with Lower Greenville and other areas, it can present some real short-term headaches for businesses. A negative side effect of a (hopefully) good evolution.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 21 Mar 2019 10:58

jetnd87 wrote:Yea I'd imagine it's a temporary stall due to the insane amount of construction in the area (and greater downtown). I jogged through multiple parts of downtown 2 days ago (including this one), and literally almost every block is under some form of construction - both aggravating and exciting.

Medium/long term this should be a good thing, but as we've seen with Lower Greenville and other areas, it can present some real short-term headaches for businesses. A negative side effect of a (hopefully) good evolution.

But once the AMLI fountain place, Artelier, Davis Building, and Hall Arts are completed, there is really nothing else coming down the pipeline. The “Never” on Elm Street is not going to be completed in our lifetime, there are very few buildings left to re-do, and there are no real plans for new retail, hotel, or retail developments. So what we will have when these buildings are completed may be what we have for years.

Downtown seems to be always under construction, and “on the verge” of moving to the next level, but never quite gets over that hump. It is much, much better than even 5 years ago, but has so, so far to go before it can be considered to be even remotely lively and successful. If you read travel sites and comments by out of town visitors, common words used are “quiet” and “dull”. I am downtown often and can’t say that I would disagree with them.

I think if the city changed its archaic codes and started acting like a big city it might help some. For instance, allow businesses to put plants and landscaping out in front of their businesses without charging a $1,000 “landscaping” fee each year. Allow buildings to put up awnings over the sidewalk, without charging a $1,000 fee each year. Allow retail establishments to put merchandise out in front of their establishments or have sidewalk sales, allow street vendors, plant trees,....in other words, do some of the things that every major city in the world does. Until then we have a glorified business park.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 21 Mar 2019 11:31

Jbarn wrote:I think if the city changed its archaic codes and started acting like a big city it might help some. For instance, allow businesses to put plants and landscaping out in front of their businesses without charging a $1,000 “landscaping” fee each year. Allow buildings to put up awnings over the sidewalk, without charging a $1,000 fee each year. Allow retail establishments to put merchandise out in front of their establishments or have sidewalk sales, allow street vendors, plant trees,....in other words, do some of the things that every major city in the world does. Until then we have a glorified business park.

Word

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 21 Mar 2019 12:27

Agreed. It's annoying af. Sol Irlandes is taking forever - but according to this article it should be completed by this summer as Queso Beso - https://www.guidelive.com/food-and-drin ... fort-worth

Really looking forward to see how AT&T Discovery District affects downtown activity.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Mar 2019 12:37

Jbarn wrote:But once the AMLI fountain place, Artelier, Davis Building, and Hall Arts are completed, there is really nothing else coming down the pipeline. The “Never” on Elm Street is not going to be completed in our lifetime, there are very few buildings left to re-do, and there are no real plans for new retail, hotel, or retail developments. So what we will have when these buildings are completed may be what we have for years.

I sure hope development won't stall for that long, but I guess you never know. I'm feeling pretty optimistic that the developments you listed, along with the Discovery District, Pacific Park, and East Quarter will attract enough demand to keep development going even after this year.

I'll bet we see some sort of residential (or perhaps a boutique hotel) announced the East Quarter area. Once that area has been cleaned up and is mostly leased, I can see it being pretty desirable for some new development.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 21 Mar 2019 14:06

^True. I get annoyed/frustrated often but always stay optimistic. West End is supposedly still getting a "food hall" at Factory Six03. Hopefully the WE park, Holocaust Museum, and leasing of the Purse Building will help liven up other areas of DT as well.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 21 Mar 2019 19:43

It probably wouldn’t hurt if we had some festivals and events downtown also. Something that appeals to the masses and doesn’t cost a fortune to attend. Something to get people down there. Klyde warren, Deep Ellum, farmers market all have events and festivals, but not much of anything in the actual core. Most folks in the metro area haven’t been downtown in years and have no idea the changes that have taken place.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Mar 2019 20:16

DPatel304 wrote:I'll bet we see some sort of residential (or perhaps a boutique hotel) announced the East Quarter area. Once that area has been cleaned up and is mostly leased, I can see it being pretty desirable for some new development.

I've always thought there's a great opportunity for new residential Along the tripple underpass around Dealy plaza. A lot of those parking lots are behind the museum are clamoring for something better.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 22 Mar 2019 10:07

Close Main Street and make it an outdoor music festival and get some big corporate sponsors to get some real talent to draw the crowds from all over the metroplex. It just takes money to get this done.

muncien

Postby muncien » 22 Mar 2019 10:30

Cbdallas wrote:Close Main Street and make it an outdoor music festival and get some big corporate sponsors to get some real talent to draw the crowds from all over the metroplex. It just takes money to get this done.

I've been saying for years that this should be done every Friday & Saturday evening. Drill a few holes for bollards, have a fixed schedule, rent out some booth space along the middle, and it will be quite the place to go on a routine basis, all at minimal expense.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Mar 2019 10:41

ATT should host walk-in movies with the Time-Warner collection.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 22 Mar 2019 11:10

muncien wrote:
Cbdallas wrote:Close Main Street and make it an outdoor music festival and get some big corporate sponsors to get some real talent to draw the crowds from all over the metroplex. It just takes money to get this done.

I've been saying for years that this should be done every Friday & Saturday evening. Drill a few holes for bollards, have a fixed schedule, rent out some booth space along the middle, and it will be quite the place to go on a routine basis, all at minimal expense.

And provide free DART service to promote use of the system to get everyone in and out and get more people in the metro to use the rail system.

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 22 Mar 2019 14:22

tamtagon wrote:ATT should host walk-in movies with the Time-Warner collection.

I do hope AT&T does something with its entertainment library. There are lots of potential projects would definitely put the discovery district on the map. A true Game of Thrones or West World themed saloon. A Sopranos italian restaurant. A Friends -- which AT&T now owns the rights to -- coffee shop. Etc.