Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

LongonBigD

Re: Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Postby LongonBigD » 05 Nov 2018 15:42

Matt777 wrote:I'm sure that space won't stay empty long.

IDK. That space immediately north has struggled to find its identity as well. Can’t remember the original, but then it was Patrizios and then something else. I hope someone can figure out the puzzle. The CE space may be big enough for two smaller operations.

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 08 Nov 2018 12:58

I'm not surprised to see that Café Express has closed. The new format was much less welcoming. Plus the changes in food and poorly trained staff did not make it a good experience. It was usually empty. I figured once St. Martin opens they would close so I'm surprised it happened earlier. Any ideas on what might go in that space?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Nov 2018 16:35

I would have def preferred Sam Martin take the Cafe Express space than the rec center they built on the old MAC land.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Nov 2018 17:10

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I would have def preferred Sam Martin take the Cafe Express space than the rec center they built on the old MAC land.

Yeah, that would have made so much sense. I hope their current location works out for them, but it just feels so hidden. Even when you're walking down McKinney Ave., it doesn't exactly stand out.

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 12 Nov 2018 20:27

It’s too bad San Martin missed the chance for the Cafe Express space. I saw them painting a sign at the street that is very visible. Plus based on their huge menu and the overall anticipation of the neighborhood, I don’t think they’ll have any problems (assuming it’s as delicious as it looks!)

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 12 Nov 2018 22:30

MrsKravitz wrote:It’s too bad San Martin missed the chance for the Cafe Express space. I saw them painting a sign at the street that is very visible. Plus based on their huge menu and the overall anticipation of the neighborhood, I don’t think they’ll have any problems (assuming it’s as delicious as it looks!)

Is San Martin ever going to open? What's the hold up?

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 14 Nov 2018 18:45

They haven’t said but word on the street is that the delay is related to their offsite commissary, not the McKinney location.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 14 Nov 2018 19:47

The offsite commissary has had a Certificate of Occupancy for quite a good while and got finished-out with tons of new equipment and local supplies, as well as their internal supply chain imported product dropped-off in shipping containers on Leslie St.

They don't really want to make their breads from scratch here, but, will in emergency cases after fully operational with local ingredients and conditions. The importing of their dough that is first started in GT/SV (to finish process here) is how they want to roll, and, the permissions/FDA approvals haven't happened yet last I heard.

ForumFollowsFunction

Postby ForumFollowsFunction » 19 Nov 2018 09:35

CTroyMathis wrote:...is how they want to roll...

:lol:

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Nov 2018 18:04

In case anyone is curious One Sette the club in the building formerly the Idle Rich Pub is open and its a bottle service/private table type of club/lounge. No dance floor and the actual bar itself is tiny so as to discourage the traditional bar stand around the crowd. One Sette is open Thursday thru Sunday 11 pm - 2 pm. You can take a virtual tour on their website. http://onesette.com/

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 27 Nov 2018 17:19

Lark on the Park is the latest Dallas restaurant to close
https://www.guidelive.com/restaurant-op ... rant-close

The restaurateur announced today that he would shutter Lark on Sunday, six years after opening it, to revamp the restaurant as a "more casual, less pricey and more approachable" spot helmed by what he described as an operating partner, rather than a prominent Dallas chef.

"This person has a following that is pretty significant and I think the new concept will be fun and good for the neighborhood."

Wynne expects the new restaurant will open in May

I can probably count the times I've been to Lark in one hand over the last six years. Something more like Mudhen would be a lot more approachable.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 27 Nov 2018 17:50

I stopped in one time for drinks, but never had a chance to eat there. It looked like a decent enough place, but, for the location, I think something more casual and less approachable will be so much better. In fact, the immediate area should have a nice little cluster of more approachable dining close to Klyde Warren Park.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Nov 2018 20:10

I went once, thought it was fine but I didn't feel like I needed to go back and it seemed a little pricey.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 27 Nov 2018 20:25

I tried to go there once but accidentally ended up at Savor thinking it was Lark. Between Savor and the food trucks, it's no surprise Lark was the one to go down.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 28 Nov 2018 11:31

flyswatter wrote:I tried to go there once but accidentally ended up at Savor thinking it was Lark. Between Savor and the food trucks, it's no surprise Lark was the one to go down.

Maybe if they would have named it "Lark near the Park", that would have helped alleviate the confusion.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Nov 2018 12:11

I like Savor better anyway. It't just a better experience and the food is good.

willyk

Postby willyk » 04 Dec 2018 00:27

Wynne said more casual, less pricey, more affordable, i.e. family friendly—makes a lot of sense for the demographic visiting the park. Should do great. This will be a nice option for families at the Perot and DMA too.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 04 Dec 2018 12:31

Got some close up shots of San Martín over the weekend. Sorry they're so dark. I didn't see any signs for an opening date.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Dec 2018 12:41

That still isn't open?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Dec 2018 11:53

FWIW, their Facebook page just posted three posts mentioning they are opening soon in Dallas.

Still not official word on when they plan to open, but they have been relatively quiet on social media up until the past few days, so perhaps that is a sign they are planning to open sometime soon.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Dec 2018 11:42

Healthy Flower Child chain plants a new restaurant in Uptown Dallas
A hugely popular healthy restaurant chain is coming to the center of the universe, IE Uptown Dallas: Flower Child, the happy-healthy restaurant concept from Arizona-based Fox Restaurant Group, will unfurl its latest location in Uptown at Rosewood Court, at 2101 Cedar Springs Rd.

The restaurant is slated to open in late 2019.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... ood-court/

Great addition to the Uptown area. I'm a fan of this place, it's not crazy expensive, and there are some great healthy options here.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Dec 2018 14:01

DPatel304 wrote:Healthy Flower Child chain plants a new restaurant in Uptown Dallas
A hugely popular healthy restaurant chain is coming to the center of the universe, IE Uptown Dallas: Flower Child, the happy-healthy restaurant concept from Arizona-based Fox Restaurant Group, will unfurl its latest location in Uptown at Rosewood Court, at 2101 Cedar Springs Rd.

The restaurant is slated to open in late 2019.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... ood-court/

Great addition to the Uptown area. I'm a fan of this place, it's not crazy expensive, and there are some great healthy options here.

Flower Child is owned by the same company that's opening North Italia and The Henry at The Union. Good to see them adding another concept in the Uptown area! On a side note, the Cheesecake Factory actually has a minority investment in both Flower Child and North Italia with options to become majority owners in both.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 12 Dec 2018 15:53

Kelley USA wrote:Flower Child is owned by the same company that's opening North Italia and The Henry at The Union.

*The Henry inside The Christopher inside The Union inside The Dallas

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Dec 2018 00:11

Vintage Tex-Mex restaurant brings Beverly Hills elan to Uptown Dallas
His target opening date is February 19, and there's one more key point: The price point will be low.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... use-uptown

It's odd that an out of town establishment is taking a stab at Tex-Mex food in Texas, though. To me, this kinda sounds like something that might be targeted towards tourists. Based on the article, it almost sounds like a place that people think the Texas food scene is supposed to look and feel like, not what it actually looks like. Reminds me of a lot of the establishments you see along the Riverwalk in San Antonio. The food there is very sub-par, and it doesn't represent San Antonio, or Texas at all, but it appeals to tourists in a kitschy sorta way.

I'm not saying the food at this establishment will be sub-par, because I really don't know. I just think the whole thing sounds a bit odd and out of place for Uptown.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 20 Dec 2018 08:58

It's odd that an out of town establishment is taking a stab at Tex-Mex food in Texas, though

What do you mean by 'out of town'? The first paragraph of the article describes all the other restaurants in Dallas the family owns. It sounds like it will just be painted a bit different, maybe like Pappasitos with lower prices.

And even if they are actually from LA, I know people like to go crazy about the minutae of Mexican restaurants between LA and Dallas, but it's pretty easy to get Tex-Mex in Los Angeles. Ground beef tacos, enchiladas, and whatnot are on practically every menu.

eburress

Postby eburress » 20 Dec 2018 09:05

Yeah, I read it to be LA-styled, not actually an LA-based restaurant bringing Tex-Mex to Texas.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Dec 2018 13:21

Whoops, I guess I misread the article, and am also clearly not as familiar with the LA food scene as I thought.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Jan 2019 14:56

A fast-growing Mediterranean chain from the Northeast is coming to Dallas: Called Cava, it'll debut in Uptown Dallas, in a spot adjacent to Spaces, the coworking company on McKinney Avenue which also happens to be World Headquarters for CultureMap Dallas.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... as-spaces/

Some more variety in the Uptown food scene is always welcome.

dzh

Postby dzh » 07 Feb 2019 07:26

Does anyone know any details about the renovation of the retail space at Rosewood Court? It looks like they're tearing out a fairly large sized chunk in order to put something big in. Maybe a two floor restaurant?

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 26 Feb 2019 02:03

GUI is closed. The Korean restaurant at McKinney and Worthington had a Closed For Maintenance sign in early February. Now that sign has been replaced with a change of locks sign.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Mar 2019 13:51

This seems like a good concept for Uptown... Foxtrot from Chicago will be taking over the former McKinney Ave Tavern location.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... et-uptown/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Mar 2019 14:24

Yep, great addition to the area. I was hoping that whatever replaced the MAT might convert all the surface parking space into a patio, or something more pedestrian friendly. Given that this is seems like more of a 'grab n go' establishment, I feel like they actually chose this location because they wanted some convenient parking.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 19 Mar 2019 12:02

A concept out of Las Vegas has opened in the former Nazca Kitchen space in the West Village. It is on Cityplace West across from Grimaldi's.

The name skinnyFATS refers to the fact that they have two menus. One is the Healthy Menu of 600 calories or less (for the smart people). The other is the Happy Menu (for the rest of us).

Here is the website.

https://skinnyfats.com/

I have not tried it yet but is seems pretty busy.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Mar 2019 20:35

Circo Beach is a new two-story, 25,000-square-foot restaurant/day resort inside Circo Dallas, the spinoff of New York’s Le Cirque located in Uptown Dallas. Highlights include a truffle painting station where the chocolate confections are painted by hand; a floor-to-ceiling mural of Le Cirque founder Sirio Maccioni; a pasta station, where patrons can not only watch the makings of signature dishes like ravioli mamma eggi but also buy pasta to take home; and two open-air pools (one with a see-through glass bottom), private cabanas, spa services, and more.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... s-statler/

We already knew about Circo Beach coming, but this article had a bit more information on the establishment. The venue just sounds completely absurd at this point, and I have no idea what type of a place it is trying to be.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 20 Mar 2019 16:11

It is trying very desperately to be Miami and Dallas is certainly no Miami. You could lift that entire building complex and plop it down anywhere in Miami and people would think it had been there forever. They maybe can make the beach club into it's own entity and release the restaurant into something new worthy of the space.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 20 Mar 2019 16:39

While it does seem absolutely ridiculous, let's not forget that this very area has hosted the likes of Sisu, so having an absurdly packed pool/cabana scene is not out of the realm of possibility.

eburress

Postby eburress » 20 Mar 2019 18:33

^ True! Plus, if there's a building in Dallas that looks like Miami, it's One Uptown

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Mar 2019 10:15

I happened to walk by the Kung Fu/Concrete Cowboy/etc.. strip on Friday night and was surprised at how dead the area was. I normally avoid those streets at night because I know there are generally people spilling on to the streets, but, when I walked by, both Concrete and Clutch were fairly dead. Kung Fu was reasonably busy (but no line out the day, and it wasn't shoulder to shoulder like it normally is). Mind you this was at around 11:15pm, so perhaps I was just early to the party, but I really do think the scene there is dying fast. Anyone who was out at this time and was hoping to party would likely not return to this area, and give Deep Ellum a try instead.

Anyway, none of this is really surprising to me. About a year ago, it seemed obvious to me that it was only a matter of time before the party scene would leave Uptown, and that's exactly what is happening.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Mar 2019 15:06

My friends were out that night and honestly, all the bars were slow even in the nearby gaybourhood. I talked to my friends who are bartenders and we are in a transition time for the nightlife. From Friday night to Saturday night a lot of things are shifting to spring/summer from fall/winter attitudes about going out. I am not saying Deep Ellum isn't where the parties at because it is the default for now but that will fade as well as the fad-driven crowd moves on. I would say yes Uptown, in general, is slower but its actually just decent now and less overcrowded. I would also say Level across the street is dead all the time. Also, we know that Concrete has already made a deal to move to Deep Ellum since the current landowners want to redevelop the property.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 25 Mar 2019 15:11

Uptown nightlife will be in transition for some years, before it really settles into a sustained scene. It'll be something unique, for sure.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Mar 2019 15:18

So does the partying generally slow down in the Spring/Summer? I figured time of year didn't really matter.

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I am not saying Deep Ellum isn't where the parties at because it is the default for now but that will fade as well as the fad-driven crowd moves on.

Does it have to fade though? People will always want to party, and I'd rather just see the party stick to Deep Ellum, rather than bouncing around all the time. I get why the party had to leave Lower Greenville and now Uptown, but Deep Ellum seems like the perfect spot to be our permanent entertainment district. It's sorta boxed in by highways and rail, so it doesn't really bother any nearby residents. We're seeing more apartments being built these days, but eveyone moving into them already know what they are getting into.

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I would say yes Uptown, in general, is slower but its actually just decent now and less overcrowded.

I actually prefer slower and less overcrowded, but that's just my personal preference. But places like Clutch and Concrete Cowboy were never meant to be 'slow' and 'less crowded' so, while they are becoming better in my eyes, for the people who want to party, they are quickly becoming less and less desireable.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 29 Mar 2019 11:25

Apparently SkinnyFats opened yesterday:
UPDATE 3-28-19: The restaurant is now open with must-try local brews, harder-to-find craft beers, and premium coffee from Houndstooth.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... -slobusky/

I just happened to be walking by it, and it was decently busy yesterday evening. I'm surprised to hear it only opened yesterday, as it usually takes a little while for word to get out of a brand new establishment.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 29 Mar 2019 15:40

I noticed SkinnyFat was open last Sunday from across the street at Grimaldi’s. They had a raucous crowd watching college basketball that afternoon. It was loud and packed. Great energy! Hope it remains that busy and drives more retail/restaurants east down Cityplace.

I’ve been wondering about the re-use of the old GAP space in WV. It’s being chopped into several smaller spaces. Apparently one of the spaces is proposed to be a liquor store. Kingston is pushing for the zoning variance (due to proximity of North Dallas HS).

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 29 Mar 2019 16:03

This could be a great fit at West Village.
https://www.royalbluegrocery.com/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 29 Mar 2019 16:56

Would RB do well with Central Market opening right there?

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 08 Apr 2019 00:50

Didn’t the Gap space just open as Sephora or was that something else?

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 08 Apr 2019 06:55

MrsKravitz wrote:Didn’t the Gap space just open as Sephora or was that something else?

I think Sephora took most of the space but they subdivided the storefronts facing McKinney and created smaller units to lease.

ForumFollowsFunction

Postby ForumFollowsFunction » 10 Apr 2019 18:12

dzh wrote:Does anyone know any details about the renovation of the retail space at Rosewood Court? It looks like they're tearing out a fairly large sized chunk in order to put something big in. Maybe a two floor restaurant?

That’s where Flower Child is going. They just put up some banners outside the space today.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 10 Apr 2019 22:26

Down at McKinney & Olive, Malibu Poke is open. Might be a soft-opening as I saw something about this upcoming Monday, but, regardless it's open.

MIXT next door apparently opens sometime in May according to a large window-covering on the storefront.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 13 Apr 2019 20:07

Nicole Kwon is relocating to one of the old Gap spaces in West Village where the corner entrance was (next to the new Sephora). This will be a larger "Concept"store.