Deep Ellum 1.0

cowboyeagle05

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Nov 2018 16:33

I assume its one of those projects that will sit as long as no one pushes it and it will depend on what city council member is in the chair at the moment. Baylor obviously wants the clear direct route to their campus and HQ. I would have assumed if they wanted it bad enough they would have already gotten it pushed through. With the possibility of Deep Ellum Baylor becoming the HQ for the larger new combined hospital system I am sure they will push it more as they settle into their new space. Although it would be easier for them to hold it over the city councils head if they were still speculative about where the new HQ was going to be.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 08 Nov 2018 20:51

I forgot to thank you for the great post. Much appreciated!

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 09 Nov 2018 11:12

Not many entities will build 80,000 s.f.+ floorplates even in the suburbs these days. Interesting architectural program brief.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Nov 2018 12:09

Maybe it's expandable

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Nov 2018 12:48

That's a very long building. Interesting design.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 21 Nov 2018 14:39

Hannibal Lecter

New Baylor Admin Building

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 03 Dec 2018 09:24

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Dec 2018 13:39

Beauty Bar Will Bring Its Insanely Popular Nightlife Haunt to Deep Ellum
Beloved Knox-Henderson nightlife spot Beauty Bar will soon have a second outpost.

According to an alcohol permit application filed with TABC, owner Brooke Humphries will expand Beauty Bar to the insanely bustling Deep Ellum district at 2805 Main Street in the spot directly next door to Stirr.

https://dallas.eater.com/2018/12/19/181 ... deep-ellum

I know someone had said this was going to happen, but I can't remember if it was ever confirmed or not. I never went to the previous Beauty Bar, but this seems like it'll be a good fit for Main St (in Deep Ellum).

I know (in a separate thread) someone had mentioned Clutch and Concrete have plans to leave Uptown. I feel like there's a good chance they would end up somewhere in Deep Ellum, and, with Beauty Bar announcing they are coming, it just seems all the more likely.

eburress

Postby eburress » 19 Dec 2018 14:20

I kinda hope Clutch and Concrete end up on Ross Ave, a little further north so as to help bridge the gap with Lower Greenville, but I'm guessing they both end up in the vicinity of City Lights, Backyard, Bottled Blonde, and all that.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Dec 2018 15:48

The area around Backyard and Bottled Blonde seems likely, but, honestly, it also feels like it won't take long for that area to develop into a cluster of mid/high-rises.

I really do hope they don't go to Deep Ellum though, mainly because both of them together have the influence to kick start a brand new night life scene. I'd much rather see a new area emerge, rather than them moving to an existing area.

I wonder if somewhere near SMU is a possibility? I'm not as familiar with the area, so I can't really think of a specific location, but I feel like a lot of the people going to these bars are from SMU, and, if they aren't, they are more than likely commuting from the north, so this makes the commute a little shorter.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 19 Dec 2018 15:59

Wasn't the Henderson Beauty Bar location scheduled to close down for an apartment development? Did that get nixed?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 23 Dec 2018 23:24

The DMN recently spoke to Baylor Scott & White's CEO. They look into his background, as well as some more of the merger with Houston's Memorial Hermann. No new name yet, BTW.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/hea ... ega-merger

R1070

Postby R1070 » 27 Dec 2018 20:18

I'm loving the retail mix that's going in on Main Street.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 09 Jan 2019 11:40

Bittersweet Day as 121-Year-Old Deep Ellum Business Makes Way for Progress

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/121-Y ... 42041.html

"They're hoping to see a CVS or a bank go in here, instead of another bar."

mcrdal15

Postby mcrdal15 » 09 Jan 2019 12:55

dallaz wrote:Bittersweet Day as 121-Year-Old Deep Ellum Business Makes Way for Progress

God no, I hope it's not another CVS! They're nothing but trouble. They'll make the entrance in the back as opposed to the front facing Commerce St. or even worse, tear down the building and rebuild a new one setback from the street with a giant parking lot in front. I'll take a store that sells only MAGA hats any day over a CVS.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 09 Jan 2019 13:58

I would love to see a CVS or a bank there as long as it's one or two stories tall. Unfortunately they'll probably put another 6 or 7 story monolith there. High density development is already hurting the character of the neighborhood. It's beginning to feel like living in the bottom of a crater, with walls surrounding you on all sides.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 09 Jan 2019 14:11

mcrdal15 wrote:
dallaz wrote:Bittersweet Day as 121-Year-Old Deep Ellum Business Makes Way for Progress

God no, I hope it's not another CVS! They're nothing but trouble. They'll make the entrance in the back as opposed to the front facing Commerce St. or even worse, tear down the building and rebuild a new one setback from the street with a giant parking lot in front. I'll take a store that sells only MAGA hats any day over a CVS.

The way people on this Forum talk about CVS, you'd think they *were* a store that only sold MAGA hats :roll:

Keep in mind that they're also the only major pharmacy to bother with having a location serving downtown (and at street level with no dedicated parking lot), but you're right, "they're nothing but trouble..."

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Jan 2019 14:22

Hannibal Lecter wrote:I would love to see a CVS or a bank there as long as it's one or two stories tall. Unfortunately they'll probably put another 6 or 7 story monolith there. High density development is already hurting the character of the neighborhood. It's beginning to feel like living in the bottom of a crater, with walls surrounding you on all sides.

We complaining about density in the city now? LOL

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 09 Jan 2019 14:47

^ One of the pleasures of Deep Ellum has been that it is NOT dense. It's much more like a small town. There's a reason most of the people who actually live in the neighborhood very much like having I-345 where it is -- we don't want to be part of downtown.

You may like living like a termite. Most of the folks in this neighborhood would rather not.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Jan 2019 15:57

I think you would do better being in Oak Cliff if you want to maintain the "small town feel" after all Deep Ellum is a part of a major Downtown despite it not being the center of DFW life. Its likely hood of maintaining all aspects of the small township is a losing battle. Most if not all of the core of Deep Ellum has been preserved and I think that's a great win on the city of Dallas part. I get it, everyone wants their favorite neighborhood to stay in the time and size that they have the fondest memories of but change is inevitable and trying to freeze everything is always going to be a losing battle. You have to focus on what's the best things to preserve like the original core buildings and let new come in where the market is applying pressure to change.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 09 Jan 2019 16:18

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I think you would do better being in Oak Cliff if you want to maintain the "small town feel" after all Deep Ellum is a part of a major Downtown despite it not being the center of DFW life. Its likely hood of maintaining all aspects of the small township is a losing battle. Most if not all of the core of Deep Ellum has been preserved and I think that's a great win on the city of Dallas part. I get it, everyone wants their favorite neighborhood to stay in the time and size that they have the fondest memories of but change is inevitable and trying to freeze everything is always going to be a losing battle. You have to focus on what's the best things to preserve like the original core buildings and let new come in where the market is applying pressure to change.

But Oak Cliff has a CVS with a PARKING LOT! *faints*

You're right about DE though. After years of just being head shops and tattoo parlors, it started attracting more bars, restaurants, and retail that appealed to a gentrifying crowd, and the last development cycle really sealed its fate as the next neighborhood to become a yuppie playground. The vacant lots will get built up with mid-highrise apartments. The core EMC buildings will largely remain as they are, with some of the edgier stores moving on to the next hollowed out area to start the cycle anew.

Mr. Amsterdam

Postby Mr. Amsterdam » 10 Jan 2019 02:30

mcrdal15 wrote:

Seriously. My liberal ass might even buy one.
1999 - 2017

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 10 Jan 2019 07:50

What’s most concerning is that Deep Ellum is not an historic district. I honestly thought this area or maybe the majority of the buildings were protected. I find that to be quite shocking. This area has too much history to not be prortected.

I’m surprised no one it pushing for landmark staus for the district. Hell, at the very least...the buildings along Main St should be protected. I do not want Deep Ellum to lose its character because of new development.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Jan 2019 09:18

Hannibal Lecter wrote:^ One of the pleasures of Deep Ellum has been that it is NOT dense. It's much more like a small town. There's a reason most of the people who actually live in the neighborhood very much like having I-345 where it is -- we don't want to be part of downtown.

You may like living like a termite. Most of the folks in this neighborhood would rather not.

I'd like to consider the interesting NIMBY variation Lecter shares here with the forum; consistent over the years and across dramatic swings of tourism, the core attributes making possible the sparsely populated small town pleasures of Deep Ellum have been reviled as forces destroying neighborhood potential: an array of adult entertainment venues flood the area with inebriated ignorant tourists who attract crime, expose children to adult perversion and pollute the streets with vomit, urine and feces.

Since no one wants to live on constant guard against muggers perverts and drunks, Deep Ellum existed in a residential bubble very few folks could enjoy and as the sharp dangerous edges are worn away, that particular residential bubble seems to pop.

I remember one time before the turn of the century, my gang was running rogue through the streets of Deep Ellum, this time Spinal Tap style. This was one of many NTSU gangs, collectives of art and music students looking for release.... harmless and curious the look and perceived disposition of these gangs scared the crap out of most people (that was part of the fun, plus Doc Matrens are actually very comfortable and they last forever....). We came across what appeared to be yet another abandoned brick building, littered parking lot, desolate street and a bunch of beer bottles lined up next to a concrete barrier. Someone in the gang flings bottles against the brick building, adding to the spray of broken glass.

Then comes an angry voice, "Fuck off assholes! You kids come down here and tear shit up, but we have to live here."

I still think about that scene, regularly actually.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/music/ec ... up-7058951

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 10 Jan 2019 09:32

tamtagon wrote:I remember one time before the turn of the century, my gang was running rogue through the streets of Deep Ellum, this time Spinal Tap style. This was one of many NTSU gangs, collectives of art and music students looking for release....

Ponyboy Curtis?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Jan 2019 12:05

TNWE wrote:You're right about DE though. After years of just being head shops and tattoo parlors, it started attracting more bars, restaurants, and retail that appealed to a gentrifying crowd, and the last development cycle really sealed its fate as the next neighborhood to become a yuppie playground.

I feel like Deep Ellum turning into Uptown 2.0 is only the beginning for the neighborhood. The new Unicorn Dessert Bar has brought in a whole new demographic (Instagram models, elementary school children) to the area it seems:
https://www.facebook.com/unicorndessertbar/

I don't really care one way or another. I really feel like this place would have been more fitting in the Bishop Arts District, but perhaps this will be the first of several more family friendly establishments in Deep Ellum. As long as the area is a success, I'm not going to complain about the vibe.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 10 Jan 2019 13:30

Ackard street south of Downtown might be the place to create the old vibe that Deep Ellum used to have. This process goes on in all big cities. The artist take over an area bars open then later it gentrifies rents go up and the artist move to a new location of affordability. The beat goes on.....

willyk

Postby willyk » 11 Jan 2019 03:44

DPatel304 wrote:
TNWE wrote:You're right about DE though. After years of just being head shops and tattoo parlors, it started attracting more bars, restaurants, and retail that appealed to a gentrifying crowd, and the last development cycle really sealed its fate as the next neighborhood to become a yuppie playground.

I feel like Deep Ellum turning into Uptown 2.0 is only the beginning for the neighborhood. The new Unicorn Dessert Bar has brought in a whole new demographic (Instagram models, elementary school children) to the area it seems:
https://www.facebook.com/unicorndessertbar/

I don't really care one way or another. I really feel like this place would have been more fitting in the Bishop Arts District, but perhaps this will be the first of several more family friendly establishments in Deep Ellum. As long as the area is a success, I'm not going to complain about the vibe.

Nothing like unicorns to scare away goths and skinheads.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 11 Jan 2019 09:52

I went to the unicorn place. The food was not very good and high priced, but it's in the alley entry, so not even really noticeable from the street, so I think Deep Ellum will be ok. The real gentrifer, if you are concerned about that, is the chain buffalo wing restaurant on the street in front of the unicorn place that is opening soon.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 11 Jan 2019 10:52

The_Overdog wrote:I went to the unicorn place. The food was not very good and high priced, but it's in the alley entry, so not even really noticeable from the street, so I think Deep Ellum will be ok. The real gentrifer, if you are concerned about that, is the chain buffalo wing restaurant on the street in front of the unicorn place that is opening soon.

Is it WingBucket? No need to fear them. They're a local chain with just 3 locations, including one in Downtown Dallas. They debuted Downtown years ago when there was even more vacant retail space than today. Their food is pretty good, too.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Jan 2019 12:41

The_Overdog wrote:I went to the unicorn place. The food was not very good and high priced, but it's in the alley entry, so not even really noticeable from the street, so I think Deep Ellum will be ok. The real gentrifer, if you are concerned about that, is the chain buffalo wing restaurant on the street in front of the unicorn place that is opening soon.

I think that ship sailed a while ago...

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, we have an update on the opening of Punch Bowl Social:
Expected open date: April 2019
Cuisine: diner-inspired
Address: 2600 Main St., Dallas

https://www.guidelive.com/food-and-drin ... fort-worth

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 12 Jan 2019 04:58

From Last Week:
Novel Deep Ellum by Thymant, on Flickr

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 05 Feb 2019 14:07

Idle Rye’s Former Space Has a New Beer-Fueled Oyster Bar
Bitter End just debuted at 2826 Elm Street, replacing the former “new American” eatery, which closed back in November. Bitter End’s owners bought Idle Rye’s name and intellectual property, but decided not to resurrect the restaurant, opting instead to revamp the space as a neighborhood bar and eatery with a completely new menu. Diners will find vibrantly colored pop art in the space and a soon-to-be-installed raw bar for oysters. The space seats 100 indoors and another 60 on a large patio and has more than 20 TVs for game watching.

https://dallas.eater.com/2019/2/5/18212 ... deep-ellum

I never went to Idle Rye, but this place seems more fitting for the area. I do want to see more diversity in the types of establishments in Deep Ellum (meaning I don't just want the area to be full of bars for weekenders), but, seeing as how this is so close to the heart of Elm St., I'd prefer to see a bar that might cater more to the party crowd. I think there is still room for the party scene to grow, and I'd like to see that happen.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 05 Feb 2019 20:45

The food at Idle Rye was great, but they were rarely busy. Walking by the other night my first reaction was "generic sports bar".

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 05 Feb 2019 23:33

Major Texas hospital merger between Memorial Hermann and Baylor Scott & White called off

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city ... alled-off/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Feb 2019 15:04

Dallas' first electric bike shop opens between Deep Ellum and Fair Park
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city- ... california

This one will be located across the street from Cold Beer Company (3601 Main St).

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 19 Feb 2019 17:59

Hannibal Lecter wrote:The food at Idle Rye was great, but they were rarely busy. Walking by the other night my first reaction was "generic sports bar".

That's exactly what we didn't want in Deep Ellum.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 20 Feb 2019 13:37

If you put about 10 times the amount of living available down there you would not see empty restaurants. I don't understand why there is not much more available living space both apartments and townhomes in that area.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Feb 2019 13:52

Cbdallas wrote:If you put about 10 times the amount of living available down there you would not see empty restaurants. I don't understand why there is not much more available living space both apartments and townhomes in that area.

That's really the next step for the neighborhood. You already see some of that in the pipeline.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 20 Feb 2019 14:57

Yea there are a handful of 200+ unit apartments being built right now. Sure more will come. Given the amount of residential currently in place or in construction, I'd wager the neighborhood has hit a stability threshold and will no longer be subject to the wild swings of years past (i.e. Deep Ellum's no longer just a dining/drinking/concert-going destination).

willyk

Re: Deep Ellum: Hines Project - 2700 Commerce

Postby willyk » 23 Feb 2019 03:32

jetnd87 wrote:So what's different with this resurgence of Deep Ellum? The residential?

Prior iterations were collections of mostly low budget music venues and bars with the RE held by disparate uncooperative owners who did not invest. There was a sprinkling of well run, cool destinations. But people mostly came and went on the concert schedules and the vibe was goth, skinhead, down and outers who ran off the crowd with disposable income.

Rohrman bought up more than 20 buildings and rehabbed them into rentable space that attracted a much higher caliber of tenant. And he made some attempt to curate the tennant mix toward attracting the young and employed.

Now critical mass has been reached and buildings that were derelict for decades are being converted into appealing bar, restaurant and retail space, most of it still paying tribute to the original edgy vibe, but with some migrating toward national tenants with large expansion budgets and formulaic concepts.

The ratio of residential to retail is the opposite of Uptown, and so if the current residential developments lease up well, I would expect to see a lot more residential and boutique hotels on the way, and maybe even some neighborhood services and retail on the outskirts.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Feb 2019 10:20

willyk wrote:
jetnd87 wrote:So what's different with this resurgence of Deep Ellum? The residential?

Prior iterations were collections of mostly low budget music venues and bars with the RE held by disparate uncooperative owners who did not invest. There was a sprinkling of well run, cool destinations. But people mostly came and went on the concert schedules and the vibe was goth, skinhead, down and outers who ran off the crowd with disposable income.

That's not how I experienced the rise and fall. While punk and new wave music broke off of Good Ole Rock 'n Roll triggering the popularity of Alternative Music to become Mainstream.... Deep Ellum became the preferred site for the local music scene to host the transition of popular music. Deep Ellum was the obvious choice because it was avoided and derelict, dirt cheap rent and big spaces -- perfect for the leading edge of popular culture.

By the last decade of the previous century.... Deep Ellum had turned into minor domestic music scene and a defacto stop for touring bands from across the globe. Venues like Trees, Club Clearview, Bomb Factory, Lizard Lounge, Club One.... were not low budget well run cool destinations sprinkled about the neighborhood - these places were a big part of the backbone of a thriving scene pulling tourists from all over.

The goth, (presumed) skinhead and down & outers were the spark that made the fire that attracted the crowd with disposable income, just like moths to a flame. :) It is always the fringe element, the scary weird freaks that reveal what will be popular in a decade..... Always. Every suburban thrill seeker found out about the good times happening on in Dangerous Deep Ellum and with that throng came the criminals. Deep Ellum excursionists were easy pickin for criminals because the municipal response to so many young adults partying was to crack down on the clubbers instead of protect them. That troglodyte decision making process ruined the place.

Deep Ellum became so popular that when a really big star was in town, he or she would be lead to Expo Park to hang out while in town when not performing and wanting to be away from the persistent fans.

Ownership of the properties along Elm and Main was not consolidated and coordinated like it is today, that is a big difference. It'll make the place different, probably less experimental but should be an outstanding 'homebase' for the next phase of leading edge nightlife (the one that strikes fear in the hearts of godly parents of good families seeking safety in the suburbs), most likely to fine a home off East Grand, between Fair Park and The Cedars.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 23 Feb 2019 16:51

Tamtagon has it right.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 23 Feb 2019 18:33

Very good info, Tamtagon, thanks! I was a child around the last time DE was popular, so I have no real idea on how it used to be. If the crowds back then were larger than they are today on weekends, it must have been very busy.

If residential does continue to go up around the outskirts of DE, I'm hoping for some loft condos.

willyk

Postby willyk » 24 Feb 2019 02:53

From 2007...not arguing about this, I’m just sayin’:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/120296-so-what-happened-deep-ellum.html#b

I can understand what Tamtagon is saying if I look at that DE from a cultural point of view. But the crowds were not of the type that a business would want, persistent safety concerns culminated in a notorious and tragic violent incident, the uncoordinated property owners were unwilling and unable to address neighborhood challenges. From a business point of view—the neighborhood’s ability to attract tenants and sustain businesses, and as a place to invest capital, things didn’t look nearly as vibrant, and so the neighborhood died one of its many deaths. And yeah, the City’s mishandling of the situation had a lot to do with that too.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 24 Feb 2019 20:27

Willyk, speaking as someone who has lived in Deep Ellum for roughly 20 years (and frequented the area for 20+ years before that), the city -- and particularly the cops -- were the primary causes of the area's decline.

While I'm a firm believer in "don't attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity", the city's actions went beyond stupid. There was an obvious effort to drive people out. Things like, without advance, closing off all streets into the neighborhood with no plans for where all the traffic would go or provisions for people who lived or worked here, resulting in mile-plus traffic jams and a huge loss in business.

There were mass arrests of people just hanging around. This way the could say they were doing something. I personally got to spend the night in the drunk tank once because I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time -- a block from my house walking home from a restaurant. And I hadn't even been drinking. (If you don't know, Public Intoxication or PI is every cop's favorite charge -- because it is the only charge that requires no proof or evidence. Just their word. Gives them carte blanche to hassle whoever they want)

I remember when the cops announced they would have an "enhanced presence" in the neighborhood. And that weekend we saw it right in front of our building -- cop cars blocking traffic lanes while they wrote parking tickets for expired meters -- 10 minutes before midnight when the meters were no longer effective.

Such great ways to get people to spend money in the city.

There was one way I personally benefited from all this. When the city's efforts succeeded and the neighborhood became a ghost town the property values of course declined. One year I appealed my tax appraisal to get it lowered. I went in asking for the moon -- close to a 30% drop. The appraiser and I were talking about what had happened to the neighborhood and he related how their family had been walking down the street in Deep Ellum after dinner with his parents, and his teenage brother was arrested for a similar bogus reason.

The appraiser reduced my property's values to exactly the figure I asked for. I figure that's saved me well over $20,000 in property taxes since then.

Karma can be your friend.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 25 Feb 2019 12:29

I really like how they've opened up the old Lula B's building. From the site, the coffee shop should be open next month.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Feb 2019 13:44

^Indeed. It was very 'un-Dallas' to convert surface parking into a pedestrian friendly space, but I'm so impressed that they did it, and it didn't take them forever to realize it needed to be done.

I also like how there is a nice mix of retail along Main St, which definitely helps generate traffic at all times, rather than just on the weekends at night.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Feb 2019 14:27

"We had absolutely no seating, and with the summer coming and 100-plus degrees weather, we thought, 'How are customers going to wait and sit outside, especially with kids?'" Babar says. "So we decided to move now."

Their new spot is also in Deep Ellum, just a few blocks away, in a sweet storefront at 3408 Main St.

"It's a 2500-square-foot space, which will give us the opportunity to create a more exciting product line and more interactive experiences," Babar says. "We are going to have the same menu as we had here plus more, because now we will have a huge seating space."

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... m-houston/

The article says the move is 'only a few blocks away' but, this is actually all the way on the other side of Deep Ellum. It does sound like it'll be a better move for them as they will have a lot more space and convenient parking for people who want to zip and zip out (I realize that should be the opposite goal for Deep Ellum, but this is a bit of a unique exception, I think).

I really would have preferred that they moved a little closer to the heart of Deep Ellum, so their patrons could still walk around and experience the neighborhood after getting dessert. This business was bringing in a whole different crowd to Deep Ellum and introducing them to the city and, it seemed like they were leaving a pretty positive impression on people that went there.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 26 Feb 2019 14:53

DPatel304 wrote:
"We had absolutely no seating, and with the summer coming and 100-plus degrees weather, we thought, 'How are customers going to wait and sit outside, especially with kids?'" Babar says. "So we decided to move now."

Their new spot is also in Deep Ellum, just a few blocks away, in a sweet storefront at 3408 Main St.

"It's a 2500-square-foot space, which will give us the opportunity to create a more exciting product line and more interactive experiences," Babar says. "We are going to have the same menu as we had here plus more, because now we will have a huge seating space."

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... m-houston/

The article says the move is 'only a few blocks away' but, this is actually all the way on the other side of Deep Ellum. It does sound like it'll be a better move for them as they will have a lot more space and convenient parking for people who want to zip and zip out (I realize that should be the opposite goal for Deep Ellum, but this is a bit of a unique exception, I think).

I really would have preferred that they moved a little closer to the heart of Deep Ellum, so their patrons could still walk around and experience the neighborhood after getting dessert. This business was bringing in a whole different crowd to Deep Ellum and introducing them to the city and, it seemed like they were leaving a pretty positive impression on people that went there.

It's nice to draw people in that usually wouldn't come to Deep Ellum or the urban core, but their reviews have been crappy. They have 2 stars on Yelp and most people seem to think it's an overhyped gimmick and left disappointed. Here's a photo comparing what their website offers, and what they serve. This place might actually be doing more damage than good: