Corporate Relocations/Expansions

texasstar

Re: Corporate Relocations/Expansions

Postby texasstar » 09 Jan 2019 08:02

If I were a Lake Dallas resident, I might be a little bit unhappy with the tone in this thread.

Thank God, I'm not.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 09 Jan 2019 10:42

texasstar wrote:If I were a Lake Dallas resident, I might be a little bit unhappy with the tone in this thread.

Thank God, I'm not.

I don't think your typical LD resident reads this forum, nor do they particularly care what the forum might think of their city.

As for the HQ site selection, the article says it all:

The building in Lake Dallas will serve as Evolutions Brands’ headquarters, encompassing the home office, warehouse for wholesale and e-commerce distribution, as well as a manufacturing facility.

They wanted an Office, Warehouse, and Manufacturing facility all in one building, and presumably there was a suitable space for the right price in Lake Dallas. I'm curious if they got any tax incentives since LD has one of the highest property tax rates in Denton County.

No idea if the design and merchandising jobs are also moving, but if they are, I imagine they won't have much trouble backfilling the roles of people who don't want to leave California to work in icky Lake Dallas- those aren't fields with a labor shortage around here.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Jan 2019 16:05

They could also easily office the creative department in another part of DFW if that was imperative to attracting talent if they were also relocated to Texas. Sounds like their priorities for the HQ were in the warehouse selection.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Jan 2019 18:32

texasstar wrote:If I were a Lake Dallas resident, I might be a little bit unhappy with the tone in this thread.

Thank God, I'm not.

They'd be okay with it. Let's be honest, most people dont even know Lake Dallas is a real thing.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 10 Jan 2019 11:58

cowboyeagle05 wrote:They could also easily office the creative department in another part of DFW if that was imperative to attracting talent if they were also relocated to Texas.

I work with a major user experience consulting and software development company based in Dallas. They are an acknowledged leader in their industry, with clients like Mercedes Benz, Dell, Samsung, Neiman Marcus, Capital One and Expedia. They have over 100 employees in the Dallas office, with branches in Austin and Seattle. They regularly make "best places to work" lists. They fit every stereotype of the 21st century high tech company. You won't find a more "creative class" place than this.

I've only know one single person there who lives south of 635. That's the CEO, who lives in Preston Hollow. The vast majority live north of the GWB.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Jan 2019 06:16

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2019/01/17/dr-pepper-shops-frisco-locations-potential-office-move-plano

Dr Pepper shops Frisco, other sites for potential office move from Plano

Two generations ago, companies like Dr Pepper set up shop one the affluent edge of rapidly growing 'cities' and flourished as pioneering the suburban corporate campus. This trend has been so successful, the edge of the city is turning into a city and undermining the many of the promoted benefits of edge living.

If you really think about it, it's not surprising at all that the most desirable office location on the horizon is downtown. Dr Pepper should move into the city, wrest itself from Keurig (...those Northeasterners are probably still mad about Snapple) and work out a plan to survives the inevitable marketplace public health wake-up call that pop is a treat, only good a couple times a week, not a three times a day.

The rolling thunder in Plano/Frisco is straining under its own weight, and needs a quality of life check; unforeseen adaptations to what has become a mixed-use boilerplate making Collin County one of the most successful new places in the country are a requirement to avoid the sort of deep-freeze that hit Dallas CBD. In the mean time, these pioneering exurbia founders will begin the trip back into the city, eventually.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 Feb 2019 11:10

tamtagon wrote:Maybe Google is the one that'll plop down in Dallas....

This is disappointing.

Google reportedly signs deal for 35-story tower in downtown Austin
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/tec ... own-austin

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 01 Feb 2019 11:37

What is interesting to me is that these giant tech companies all list mass transit as an important part of there deal but Apple Google etc. all go to Austin which has some of the worst traffic and no rail system of any significance. Transit must not be a thing after all.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 Feb 2019 11:51

Quite disappointing, but good for Austin. I agree, though, their transit system is severely lacking, and they can barely keep up with the influx of people as it is.

They do have a more cohesive and complete Downtown area, so perhaps that is the major draw to the area. It's a smaller urban core, because they lack all the other regions that Dallas has (Uptown, Bishop Arts, Deep Ellum, etc..), but, as a result, they've really filled in their Downtown quite nicely, and anyone who lives and works Downtown can get around pretty easily on foot.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 01 Feb 2019 15:22

I guess a three quarters of a million square foot prelease is always a surprise, but it shouldn't be a surprise that they got it over DFW. When Oracle opened a 560-Ksf campus there less than a year ago, only to announce permits for another 420-Ksf addition, Austin Business Journal noted,

"Even though construction isn't complete on the new downtown office tower mostly [232Ksf] leased by Facebook Inc., the social media giant has leased all of the planned Domain 12 tower [17 floors, 320Ksf].

Indeed Inc. recently signed a lease for 10 floors of the Block 71 skyscraper downtown, even as it is awaiting the completion of another Domain tower. Meanwhile HomeAway Inc. is expanding at The Domain even as it awaits the completion of its new headquarters nearby."

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news ... y-add.html

That even a rather sterile "new downtown" 13 miles away is booming too suggests it's not just the compact downtown that's the draw.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Feb 2019 13:06

Cbdallas wrote:What is interesting to me is that these giant tech companies all list mass transit as an important part of there deal but Apple Google etc. all go to Austin which has some of the worst traffic and no rail system of any significance. Transit must not be a thing after all.

Good point, often wonder the same thing.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 05 Feb 2019 23:34

Major Texas hospital merger between Memorial Hermann and Baylor Scott & White called off

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city ... alled-off/

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 11 Feb 2019 20:57

Just like transit must not be a thing, the head of Amazon's Austin operations has crowed, "We're not big on sterile environments here," and yet today's brand new Amazon lease is for half of this extremely sterile fortress:

https://www.endeavor-re.com/properties/domain-10/

(quote source: https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news ... m-for.html )

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Feb 2019 01:15

Sterile with very little accessible public transportation. With that said, hats off to The Domain area, they seem to be killing it lately. Almost seems like they are experiencing their own version of the boom we saw at DNT/121 not too long ago.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 12 Feb 2019 12:36

I45Tex wrote:Just like transit must not be a thing, the head of Amazon's Austin operations has crowed, "We're not big on sterile environments here," and yet today's brand new Amazon lease is for half of this extremely sterile fortress:

https://www.endeavor-re.com/properties/domain-10/

(quote source: https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news ... m-for.html )

Sterile but easy to pack a lot of employees into a new rectangular box -- "frugality" is one of their main tenets afterall. I've worked on several buildings for tech firms at The Domain... the mixed-use development allows the neighborhood to provide amenities that the companies don't want to manage (restaurants, etc); with money saved the "empty box" can be transformed with locally-inspired design to make it feel more urban than it really is. The Dallas office for Amazon at the Galleria isn't much different.

Link: https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news ... ustin.html

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Feb 2019 12:15

Local media in Amarillo has learned that the American Quarter Horse Association headquarters could be moving to Fort Worth. There is an AQHA museum up there adjacent to the association's current headquarters site. I would guess that if the offices move, they would likely move their museum as well. Another big loss, potentially, for Amarillo after losing the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame/Museum from nearby Hereford to Fort Worth a few years ago. Also previously departed from Amarillo was the Sterquell Wagon Collection, which also relocated to Fort Worth a few years ago. It will be interesting to see if the city/economic development folks in Amarillo let the AQHA get away from them also, or if they try to keep them there somehow.

http://www.newschannel10.com/2019/02/13 ... rth-worth/

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 Feb 2019 12:51

When I was in high school, I took pictures for the yearbook at the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame in Hereford! hahahaha

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 13 Feb 2019 15:14

DFW was fifth nationally in under-construction square footage in the industrial CRE (commercial real estate) market this year:

https://www.copaken-brooks.com/wp-conte ... 4-2018.pdf

and according to numbers further on down is ranked an equally comfortable fifth in the USA (and also North America) for total industrial space square footage, behind only Southern California, NY-NJ-CT Tristate, Chicagoland, and Philadelphia. By their standardization we have about 780 million square feet of warehouse/distribution space today, and about 910 million square feet once factory and flex industrial space is included.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Feb 2019 21:40

itsjrd1964 wrote:Local media in Amarillo has learned that the American Quarter Horse Association headquarters could be moving to Fort Worth. There is an AQHA museum up there adjacent to the association's current headquarters site. I would guess that if the offices move, they would likely move their museum as well. Another big loss, potentially, for Amarillo after losing the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame/Museum from nearby Hereford to Fort Worth a few years ago. Also previously departed from Amarillo was the Sterquell Wagon Collection, which also relocated to Fort Worth a few years ago. It will be interesting to see if the city/economic development folks in Amarillo let the AQHA get away from them also, or if they try to keep them there somehow.

http://www.newschannel10.com/2019/02/13 ... rth-worth/

More about the possible move by the AQHA:

http://www.newschannel10.com/2019/02/13 ... aqha-move/

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 16 Feb 2019 00:03

Well, sadly, it looks like Downtown Dallas won't be getting the Payless Shoes HQ after all:

Payless ShoeSource closing all 2,100 U.S. stores, starting liquidation sales Sunday

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 885949002/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 16 Feb 2019 12:05

Matt777 wrote:Well, sadly, it looks like Downtown Dallas won't be getting the Payless Shoes HQ after all:

Payless ShoeSource closing all 2,100 U.S. stores, starting liquidation sales Sunday

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 885949002/

We're better off without an HQ that wouldn't have lasted. Payless was more than a$$-deep in debt.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Mar 2019 06:59

Chevron might be moving HQ from Bay Area to Texas, Houston probably....

https://abc7news.com/archive/8928858/

By ABC7 Archive
SAN RAMON, Calif.
"It's not something you that you want to see, losing 800 jobs. That's a big impact in San Ramon," president and CEO of the San Ramon Chamber of Commerce Stewart Bambino told ABC7 News. 800 jobs is also about one-fourth of Chevron's total work force at its San Ramon headquarters.

Five business units are involved, all of which support Chevron's oil exploration and alternative fuel research. All of those workers will now work side-by-side in Houston.

Not to seem over anxious, but maybe all the scientists will be in Houston (area) and the shirts will be in Dallas' Smart District.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 11 Mar 2019 07:52

It often works better for the scientists that way, but please, don't shirts already think they're smart enough as it is? Save them the daily undeserved pat on the back from our real estate development name, or they'll be in the red before you know it.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 11 Mar 2019 09:50

tamtagon wrote:Chevron might be moving HQ from Bay Area to Texas, Houston probably....

https://abc7news.com/archive/8928858/

By ABC7 Archive
SAN RAMON, Calif.
"It's not something you that you want to see, losing 800 jobs. That's a big impact in San Ramon," president and CEO of the San Ramon Chamber of Commerce Stewart Bambino told ABC7 News. 800 jobs is also about one-fourth of Chevron's total work force at its San Ramon headquarters.

Five business units are involved, all of which support Chevron's oil exploration and alternative fuel research. All of those workers will now work side-by-side in Houston.

Not to seem over anxious, but maybe all the scientists will be in Houston (area) and the shirts will be in Dallas' Smart District.

Way to create fake news Tamtagon.

The only thing the article says about moving the HQ is that they are not: "Chevron said its headquarters will remain in San Ramon."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Mar 2019 11:04

Tucy wrote:Way to create fake news Tamtagon.

The only thing the article says about moving the HQ is that they are not: "Chevron said its headquarters will remain in San Ramon."

Remarkably insinuating! as per the usual :)

Here's the headline from in front of the paywall to the Bay Area Business Journal outlet:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisc ... xodus.html

This Bay Area Fortune 500 has moved hundreds of employees to Texas. Will its headquarters follow?

By Mark Calvey – Senior Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Mar 6, 2019, 5:05pm EST

The recent loss of two San Francisco Bay Area Fortune 500 headquarters to Texas raises a key question: Who's next?

Didn't McKesson have the same PR press release about not moving HQ? SOP

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 11 Mar 2019 15:03

tamtagon wrote:
Tucy wrote:Way to create fake news Tamtagon.

Remarkably insinuating! as per the usual :)

Here's the headline from in front of the paywall to the Bay Area Business Journal outlet:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisc ... xodus.html

This Bay Area Fortune 500 has moved hundreds of employees to Texas. Will its headquarters follow?

By Mark Calvey – Senior Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Mar 6, 2019, 5:05pm EST

The recent loss of two San Francisco Bay Area Fortune 500 headquarters to Texas raises a key question: Who's next?

Didn't McKesson have the same PR press release about not moving HQ? SOP

I was just responding to your post and the article you linked. I didn't make any insinuations; I said it clearly (I think you might have meant "insulting").
Last edited by Tucy on 11 Mar 2019 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Mar 2019 15:14

calling it "fake news" is not hinting at something bad in an indirect and unpleasant way? okay, then, sorry.

I guess I just expect you to be snarky when addressing me directly, and I really am sorry about that.

eburress

Postby eburress » 15 Mar 2019 09:38

Tamtagon, you're right and Tucy, you're wrong. Starting your post "way to create fake news Tamtagon" is derogatory. Even if it weren't though, you have to realize everyone on this board is going to assume your intent is negative when you treat them as poorly as you do.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 15 Mar 2019 10:39

tamtagon wrote:calling it "fake news" is not hinting at something bad in an indirect and unpleasant way? okay, then, sorry.

I guess I just expect you to be snarky when addressing me directly, and I really am sorry about that.

LOL No. I wasn't hinting or being indirect at all. I was being quite direct. Your post was completely contradictory to what was in the linked article. Fake news.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 Mar 2019 10:55

^ Fake News, No. My post was supposition.

Review the hypothesis:

"Might be" "probably" "maybe"

The initially linked media information posted Chevron's statement that the HQ would remain in the East Bay. That sure seemed like the time McKesson denied it was moving it's HQ.

I dont remember if Schwab performed that same song and dance.

I suppose, propose and who-knows all over this forum; that Chevron would move HQ to Texas is right in line. Forum discussion is lucky to have a tethering, too, since it makes the wanderings that much more fun.

xen0blue

Postby xen0blue » 18 Mar 2019 16:22

tamtagon wrote:^ Fake News, No. My post was supposition.

Review the hypothesis:

"Might be" "probably" "maybe"

The initially linked media information posted Chevron's statement that the HQ would remain in the East Bay. That sure seemed like the time McKesson denied it was moving it's HQ.

I dont remember if Schwab performed that same song and dance.

I suppose, propose and who-knows all over this forum; that Chevron would move HQ to Texas is right in line. Forum discussion is lucky to have a tethering, too, since it makes the wanderings that much more fun.

The Bay Area is right outside Houston- moving from Galveston Bay to Houston would mean they're staying within the same area.

eburress

Postby eburress » 19 Mar 2019 12:05

^^ Wrong Bay Area...

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 14 Apr 2019 10:41

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... s_headline

By Joshua Mann – Reporter, Houston Business Journal
Apr 12, 2019, 4:04pm EDT
...Chevron Corp.’s (NYSE: CVX) $33 billion acquisition of The Woodlands-based Anadarko Petroleum Corp. (NYSE: APC) precedes a spike and acceleration in Chevron’s planned divestments.

Making a bigger play in Houston that previously discussed.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 14 Apr 2019 19:25

It's getting less and less premature to think of a headquarters relocation from Northern California when a company's executive leadership is giving quotes about it being "the right time to further lean out our organization," questing for net cost reduction, and has just acquired Anadarko's couple million square feet of modern office space in Texas, right?

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 24 Apr 2019 19:32

1,300 new jobs coming to Allstate's facility in Irving ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Governor Abbott Announces Expansion of Allstate Facility in Irving
April 23, 2019 | Austin, Texas | Press Release

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governo ... e-facility

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 16 May 2019 16:43

Dallas could land major Uber expansion, thousands of jobs

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/tec ... sands-jobs

This could be a major win for Dallas. They are looking at The Epic in Deep Ellum.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 16 May 2019 16:47

Matt777 wrote:Dallas could land major Uber expansion, thousands of jobs

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/tec ... sands-jobs

This could be a major win for Dallas. They are looking at The Epic in Deep Ellum.

I was about to post this and you beat me by a few minutes :D

It looks exciting! hopefully we get it and they don't pull an Amazon on us.
Are there any other companies who will take office space in The Epic ?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 16 May 2019 16:54

Haha, I also came here to post this. I won't get my hopes up just yet, but that would be awesome if we could get them to come to Deep Ellum.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 16 May 2019 19:28

This would be massive and a gamechanger for that area. Hope it happens.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 May 2019 13:58

It's Dallas vs. Charlotte for Lowe's 2,000-employee innovation hub
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... allas-area

Home improvement retailer Lowe's Cos. is scoping out the Dallas area to locate a new technology hub, according to a report in the Charlotte Observer.

Lowe's chief information officer Seemantini Godbole, who came to Lowe's from Target six months ago, told the newspaper that Charlotte and Dallas are both under consideration and the decision would be made by the end of the summer.

Being near a commuter train is preferred, Godbole said. Downtown Dallas real estate agents have been chattering for weeks that some kind of Lowe's office was in the works.

It would be great if they took the Luminary building in the West End to join Sam's and BCBS, otherwise if Uber made it official in Deep Ellum, imagine Lowe's taking the new Hines tower on Commerce St.

Then again maybe this could be the reason that 508 Young changed hands so quickly, and it's right across from Union Station and the Oak Cliff Streetcar.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 May 2019 14:12

^Wow, this would be significant! Maybe Dallas will score this and Uber.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 May 2019 14:54

Honestly, this a great. If Dallas Gets Uber and Lowe's..that's awesome. If we land both than that would equate more Jobs than the would be HQ2( given that Amazon divided up the jobs across varios locales) ..

IDK how Charlotte's rail is... But I know downtown Dallas is pretty good for a sprawling region; I'm guessing we have better transit than them.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 May 2019 15:20

Just reading through all of that it sounds like Dallas (even downtown) is well positioned to land this one....although I would never say we are a sure thing. DBJ version indicates there could be more opportunities behind these two.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... h-hub.html

eburress

Postby eburress » 23 May 2019 15:23

This would be another huge win for Dallas, especially if it's in-town/Downtown. Fingers crossed...again! haha

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 23 May 2019 15:30

Hopefully the fact that Lowe’s wants rail access will automatically disqualify Plano and Frisco.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 May 2019 15:53

Jbarn wrote:Hopefully the fact that Lowe’s wants rail access will automatically disqualify Plano and Frisco.

I would imagine. But then I look at Google and Apple in Austin and figure they really don't give a crap about that ...but we'll see.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 May 2019 16:08

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Jbarn wrote:Hopefully the fact that Lowe’s wants rail access will automatically disqualify Plano and Frisco.

I would imagine. But then I look at Google and Apple in Austin and figure they really don't give a crap about that ...but we'll see.

Don't you mean Amazon and Apple? I thought Google is moving to Downtown Austin? Either way, you're exactly right about these relocation in general. Just because they say they want something, doesn't make it actually true.

I would really love it if we got Uber and/or Lowe's. Even if we don't get both, that's fine too. This is just a sign that we are on the level where we are catching the attention of companies like this, so it's only a matter of time before one (or more) of them start biting.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 23 May 2019 17:43

Lowe's is headquartered in Mooresville, North Carolina -- about 30-45 minutes away from Uptown Charlotte.

It seems to make a lot of sense to have the employee innovation hub near the HQ. . . but if Dallas gets it, I won't complain!

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 23 May 2019 21:17

Hope we get it, but I have a friend who works pretty high profile in Charlotte telling me its been in the works for a while for downtown Charlotte. This could be a situation where Lowe's is using Dallas for leverage to get the best deal out of where they want to be.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 24 May 2019 22:34

Plano has DART Rail.