Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Las Colinas/North Irving Development

TXGunLover

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby TXGunLover » 28 Jan 2019 12:16

Went to see the early showing of Lego movie 2 on Saturday. Work was being done at both the Green Gator and the other restaurant pad in the plaza. Things were more busy than normal when the movie got out, I supposed because of the Toni Braxton concert. Alamo, was as always, great.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 29 Jan 2019 16:32

WeWork taking 3 floors at Williams Square...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... w-location

Also, the Green Gator at Toyota Music Factory is hiring. They should be opening soon. It was probably an easy transition. I don't think they bothered to do any build-outs. I mean the place was already nice and the current design sort of fits their concept. It's basically put up the sign, hire some folks and open the doors.

Speaking of the TMF... I'm curious why they never bothered to hire an outside leasing company like CBRE or Shop Companies. I know they got a little greedy and the early interest didn't really warrant hiring one, but they have struggled to lease any of the remaining vacant spots. After Big Beat closed the ARK Group came out and said interest was very high for all the remaining spaces. I'm sorry, but if the best they can do is Green Gator & The Reservoir then there's definitely a problem.

Also, The Gingerman at Water Street has started their build-out. They have walls up and they do seem to be moving quickly. I would guess maybe a May or June opening?!

ignition

Postby ignition » 04 Feb 2019 17:34

Speaking of things taking forever to open up at TMF, anyone have any insight on Burgerim? This has been "coming soon" since TMF announced and I can't for the life of me figure out what's taking so long for the build out.

I get why Kitchen 101 and the Violet Room are taking long given their placement literally under the Pavilion but a burger place should take just a few months to be constructed.

vman

Postby vman » 05 Feb 2019 07:24

Walk-On's is open on Regent. I tried it this weekend and really enjoyed it. Anyone know what is being built next to Walk-On's? I looked up Green Gator and it looks somewhat similar to Walk-On's. I do enjoy Cajun, so I look forward to trying it. I also noticed another place in the retail strip west of Walk-on's called Jam + Toast and it doesn't appear to be a CHAIN. Irving definitely is in need of more breakfast spots..so this is definitely on my list. Maybe I'll make fewer trips to Dallas for my weekend brunch fix.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 05 Feb 2019 07:44

Lupe's Tortilla is next to Walk On's. Mexican Sugar will be next to Whiskey Cake.

Jam + Toast is outstanding.
Last edited by TXGunLover on 05 Feb 2019 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 05 Feb 2019 09:16

^^Actually it's called Lupe Tortilla... It's a Tex-Mex chain from Houston that's making it's way to DFW. It's more in the mold of a Pappasito's or Uncle Julio's. I have friends in Houston that love it so it should be a nice addition. https://tex-mex.com/

As for Burgerim, that is the slowest build-out in the history of build-outs. Apart from putting up the sign the inside has looked basically the same for the past 3 months.

clubtokyo

Postby clubtokyo » 06 Feb 2019 19:41

Lupe T is fantastic, best filet fajitas in Texas. Be sure and check them out.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 07 Feb 2019 02:25

Nosh & Bottle Brings a Wine Shop, Market, Deli and Date Spot to Toyota Music Factory

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaura ... y-11546508

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 Feb 2019 14:02

Permits have been pulled for the new 7 story Embassy Suites Hotel on 114. This will be in the lot right behind Champps. This was the last rendering that was posted:

https://www.facebook.com/Embassy-Suites ... 320208193/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 07 Feb 2019 20:32

Nice!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Feb 2019 14:17

Kelley USA wrote:Permits have been pulled for the new 7 story Embassy Suites Hotel on 114. This will be in the lot right behind Champps. This was the last rendering that was posted:

https://www.facebook.com/Embassy-Suites ... 320208193/

Interesting, have not seen or maybe I have not seen a new one for a while but there is no atrium on this hotel. Wiki claims that feature has been abandoned on new hotels.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 10 Feb 2019 21:08

IINM, the new downtown Amarillo Embassy doesn't have an atrium, either. I think that's a mistake on Hilton's part. Atriums have been one of the signature elements of an Embassy Suites property, pretty much anywhere you go. Without an atrium, Embassy will look like any other chain. Similar to Marriott de-emphasizing Courtyard's courtyard.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 10 Feb 2019 21:13

Probably realized having a large open lobby was easier to maintain and cheaper to build than a massive 8+ story atrium while still being able to provide the same amenities. Plus it allows them to enter smaller markets that wouldn't justify a massive hotel.

muncien

Postby muncien » 11 Feb 2019 10:49

Fun Fact: Embassy suites originally proposed a hotel on this site back in the 90's. If I'm not mistaken, they have owned the land ever since.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 11 Feb 2019 10:51

muncien wrote:Fun Fact: Embassy suites originally proposed a hotel on this site back in the 90's. If I'm not mistaken, they have owned the land ever since.

Yep that's correct.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 11 Feb 2019 11:11

TXGunLover wrote:
muncien wrote:Fun Fact: Embassy suites originally proposed a hotel on this site back in the 90's. If I'm not mistaken, they have owned the land ever since.

Yep that's correct.

Actually I'm not sure that is correct... Embassy isn't the owner, this hotel is being developed by a company in Louisiana and will be managed by a local company. It'll just carry the Embassy flag. I think someone else has owned the property for quite awhile now. I've seen a number of proposals come before council for this plot, everything from 20K sq ft of new retail space, an extension of Las Colinas Village, other hotels, office buildings etc... And speaking of, there is a plan for a new 2 story office component right next to where the Embassy will be.

muncien

Postby muncien » 11 Feb 2019 14:20

Kelley USA wrote:
TXGunLover wrote:

Yep that's correct.

Actually I'm not sure that is correct... Embassy isn't the owner, this hotel is being developed by a company in Louisiana and will be managed by a local company. It'll just carry the Embassy flag. I think someone else has owned the property for quite awhile now. I've seen a number of proposals come before council for this plot, everything from 20K sq ft of new retail space, an extension of Las Colinas Village, other hotels, office buildings etc... And speaking of, there is a plan for a new 2 story office component right next to where the Embassy will be.

Yeah... I thought it was weird that they would still own the property since many hotels don't own the physical land below them, and that would be a loooong time for a company to sit on a piece of land (probably not a good business practice). Looking back at DCAD records, it looks like Embassy Suites former parent company (Promus Hotels) sold this piece of land in 2006. But it was most definitely proposed to be an Embassy Suites prior to that. I just found it funny that it has come full circle.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 15 Feb 2019 13:20

Got this word from the City of Irving regarding the Shops of Las Colinas (Market Street) development. I knew something was going on. They cleared the land about 2 months and have done nothing since...

We received word about 2-3 weeks ago that the land owner had decided to suspend the development pending their ability to sign more pre-leases. The residential component is still underway but the retail is on hold.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 18 Feb 2019 15:55

Verizon is ready to move full speed ahead on the Lifestyle Center portion of the Hidden Ridge Development. Plans should start moving rather quickly for the retail, restaurant, townhomes, apartments and possible hotel. They will be turning Green Park Drive from 6 lanes into 3 lanes to make the Lifestyle Center more pedestrian friendly (wider sidewalks too). Plans have also been approved and work should start soon on the DART Station stop. No word on additional office though. Also, if you remember the plan calls for 1200 apartments, 400 of which must be in a 7+ story building. The remaining 800 must be in a minimum of 5+ story buildings. In order for the City to issues any certificate of occupancy for the apartments at least 60,000 sq ft of retail must be at the beam stage of construction and the townhomes must also be under construction.

muncien

Postby muncien » 18 Feb 2019 16:56

^
Good to hear! Thx. I was getting a little concerned that we had been baited.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 19 Feb 2019 12:40

The Ark Group is looking to amend the current lease for the Toyota Music Factory. They're wanting to convert all ground level and 2nd floor space in the B Building into office use. This would be all the space south of TCBY and around the corner to where BurgeRim is going in (and all of the space above it). Apparently they've had a really tough time leasing the remaining space.

muncien

Postby muncien » 19 Feb 2019 13:17

Kelley USA wrote:The Ark Group is looking to amend the current lease for the Toyota Music Factory. They're wanting to convert all ground level and 2nd floor space in the B Building into office use. This would be all the space south of TCBY and around the corner to where BurgeRim is going in (and all of the space above it). Apparently they've had a really tough time leasing the remaining space.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with that. IMO, the existing office space is quite limited, and with NO RESIDENTIAL allowed in the master plan, and nothing happening with North Shore yet, there is an overabundance of restaurant right now. Perhaps any changes can be short term? IDK... But having more daytime population on site would be helpful.