The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

warden62

The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby warden62 » 03 Dec 2016 09:32

I know this news is a few days old...

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2016/11/29/h-e-b-will-open-two-central-market-stores-dallas

I have to say, I'm not surprised that HEB still has zero plans to plant a non-CM store as part of these purchases. Hopefully CM will sell that new Luby's mac and cheese :lol:

Ryan
--
When you have given nothing, ask for nothing.
Ryan
--

warden62

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby warden62 » 08 Dec 2016 09:59

Looks like Tom Thumb is ready to open up new locations in the Fresh Market stores they bought:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2016/12/07/tom-thumb-reopening-3-fresh-market-stores-purchased
Ryan
--

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Dec 2016 09:59

Why HEB, Whole Foods should be terrified by Amazon's new grocery concept

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... azons.html

Customers scan the Amazon Go app on their smartphone as they enter the store. The company spent four years developing "just walk out" technology, which detects when items are picked up or returned to shelves and "keeps track of them in a virtual cart," Amazon said. There's no checkout line — just leave the store with your groceries, and Amazon will charge your account.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 Feb 2017 10:05

Central Market slims down hopes for a North Texas H-E-B will sale of two properties

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... texas.html

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 May 2017 22:16

LIDL is opening a store in Southwest Dallas, across from the new Wal-Mart at Cedar Ridge and Wheatland.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ores-texas

warden62

Postby warden62 » 09 May 2017 08:38

Tnexster wrote:LIDL is opening a store in Southwest Dallas, across from the new Wal-Mart at Cedar Ridge and Wheatland.

Do you mean across from the new Walgreens in Duncanville?

Is this Aldi/Lidl thing going to be like Walgreens/CVS having to be across the street from each other?
Ryan
--

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 May 2017 10:47

^Sorry, I meant Clark Road and Wheatland. Apparently this still needs council approval but I would not expect that to be a problem. LIDL is apparently making an aggressive move into Texas. I would expect more stores to be announced.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 May 2017 09:43

German grocer Lidl is quietly buying up land in North Texas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... northtexas

Dallas District 3 City Councilman Casey Thomas posted on his Facebook page recently that the Summit Parc area in his southwest Dallas district "will get the first Lidl grocery store in Texas." He talked about it at a community meeting earlier this week.

warden62

Central Market in Bishop Arts?

Postby warden62 » 22 Aug 2017 19:18

Ryan
--

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Aug 2017 08:12

Yeah, they bought the land Crescent had already marketed to a potential grocer. The problem is HEB/CM is not ready to build anything at the Albertsons site in the West Village or this site. The numbers are certainly improving in Oak Lawn but I doubt we are talking a build starting within the next year or two. HEB seems to be making land grabs since the grocery market is so competitive right now. Not that they aren't serious about building something at some point but they would rather slow their competitors down by taking easy builds off the market.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Aug 2017 08:15

They'll probably start building a warehouse before store location announcements, for HEB I guess. That's how they took Houston, I think....

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Aug 2017 09:31

cowboyeagle05 wrote:HEB seems to be making land grabs since the grocery market is so competitive right now. Not that they aren't serious about building something at some point but they would rather slow their competitors down by taking easy builds off the market.

I agree that it's strategic at this point, but one thing I kept hearing was that both Zang/Davis and Colorado Place (Fort Worth Ave) were being considered by CM, so what's stopping a competitor from taking the other location, especially now that CM has staked a claim for itself in Oak Cliff?

Another name that keeps popping us is Sprouts having an interest in Colorado and Beckley, where El Fenix is currently. I don't see that as an easy transaction and hope they just take the Colorado Place site.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Aug 2017 08:33

lakewoodhobo wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:HEB seems to be making land grabs since the grocery market is so competitive right now. Not that they aren't serious about building something at some point but they would rather slow their competitors down by taking easy builds off the market.

I agree that it's strategic at this point, but one thing I kept hearing was that both Zang/Davis and Colorado Place (Fort Worth Ave) were being considered by CM, so what's stopping a competitor from taking the other location, especially now that CM has staked a claim for itself in Oak Cliff?

Another name that keeps popping us is Sprouts having an interest in Colorado and Beckley, where El Fenix is currently. I don't see that as an easy transaction and hope they just take the Colorado Place site.

Haha yes, I am not surprised they were shopping around but my answer is simply they bought what they perceived as the best site. They know they can't stop every competitor from building but they can grab the best site for them and keep competitors from grabbing it first. This site was being marketed as a grocery store site so it's not surprising that they saw the value in being so close to Bishop Arts.

I just read the article in the DMN this morning that talks about the West Village site and CM is simply stating that it's taking longer than expected to move out of Phase 1 development of a store for that site. Sounds like the landowner is having trouble coming to an agreement with CM on the best use for that site.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Aug 2017 09:37

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I just read the article in the DMN this morning that talks about the West Village site and CM is simply stating that it's taking longer than expected to move out of Phase 1 development of a store for that site. Sounds like the landowner is having trouble coming to an agreement with CM on the best use for that site.

Definitely worth posting what the DMN said about Uptown Central Market.

The land under the Uptown store that Central Market purchased is owned by a limited partnership that also owns the land under the Walgreens across the street. The properties are managed by a Florida company that didn’t return a request for comment. However, Butt addressed the process.

“Though very early in the development phase, Central Market is exploring options with our landlord for the best use of this choice location,” Butt said. “We are taking time to design a Central Market that will showcase a fantastic customer experience.”

Butt called the Uptown location “a rare opportunity to combine a great shopping experience like Central Market with such a powerful retail location.” He said the company is committed to the Uptown location “bringing the most exciting food journey” to Dallas, but it’s going to take more time.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... pened-tell

So how does that work? Did CM buy the property or a portion of the property? How do they have a landlord?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 25 Aug 2017 10:53

I want to be giddy about the possibilities, but I don't want to be disappointed either....

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Aug 2017 12:35

tamtagon wrote:I want to be giddy about the possibilities, but I don't want to be disappointed either....

The Uptown Locale definitely needs to be mixed use high rise.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Aug 2017 14:01

lakewoodhobo wrote:
So how does that work? Did CM buy the property or a portion of the property? How do they have a landlord?

Most likely they bought the land lease from the previous owner aka SunFresh Market. The lease permits them to have a grocery store on the site most likely in the current building. CM wants to change what the building is so I am sure the landowner wants to make sure what CM builds brings him the highest value. Lord knows if the Florida owner sold the property to another developer they would throw up apartments in a quick second.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 Apr 2018 09:14

Nothing terribly exciting here, but it does mention that the Walmart Market at 2305 N. Central Expressway is getting another remodel.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... store.html

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Apr 2018 10:40

Looks like the first order of business after California-based Bodega Latina Corp acquired Fiesta Mart was to close a few stores. Over the weekend I noticed that Fiesta on Hampton and Singleton shut down. This is concerning for West Dallas which is extremely underserved by grocery chains.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Jul 2018 14:15

Why do you think Trader Joes has not further expanded in Dallas?

They have four locations in Dallas. Three in the suburbs and one in Fort Worth. They seem to do well in well to do areas where their target market is but are they out of spots with good density of their targeted market? Or are they just not that aggressive on the Dallas market? Their brand seems to be popular and their model fits well in urban areas that are revitalizing but it seems like they could fit into a few other areas well.

I don't anticipate seeing them in Oak Cliff until more demographics down there change but that definitely seems like there future. I would have hoped for a Downtown location but that still seems far off for now until more residential comes down the line for the Cedars/Lamar/CBD and Deep Ellum.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 03 Jul 2018 14:44

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Why do you think Trader Joes has not further expanded in Dallas?

They have four locations in Dallas. Three in the suburbs and one in Fort Worth. They seem to do well in well to do areas where their target market is but are they out of spots with good density of their targeted market? Or are they just not that aggressive on the Dallas market? Their brand seems to be popular and their model fits well in urban areas that are revitalizing but it seems like they could fit into a few other areas well.

I don't anticipate seeing them in Oak Cliff until more demographics down there change but that definitely seems like there future. I would have hoped for a Downtown location but that still seems far off for now until more residential comes down the line for the Cedars/Lamar/CBD and Deep Ellum.

There's a large space in the Richardson Heights shopping center that I've often thought would be perfect for a Trader Joe's. With Downtown Richardson on the opposite side of 75 being revamped over the next couple years, that area could potentially get even more bustling.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Jul 2018 09:33

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I don't anticipate seeing them in Oak Cliff until more demographics down there change but that definitely seems like there future. I would have hoped for a Downtown location but that still seems far off for now until more residential comes down the line for the Cedars/Lamar/CBD and Deep Ellum.

This is why I thought West Commerce or Ft Worth Ave would be a great fit for them: they would capture the Kessler/granola Oak Cliff demographic plus West Dallas, downtown, and maybe even a small portion of Uptown. I do have a feeling that they expanded too quickly and just need to get caught up before taking another look.

I think a lot about the Starbucks on Westmoreland and Illinois Ave that opened around 2007 and closed around 2009. Of course it was an awful time for the economy but I also think that location was way too far from their demographic. Even now, 10 years later, I wouldn't look west of Hampton Rd for a big brand like Starbucks or Trader Joe's in Oak Cliff and W Dallas.

anon

Postby anon » 06 Jul 2018 11:16

lakewoodhobo wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I don't anticipate seeing them in Oak Cliff until more demographics down there change but that definitely seems like there future. I would have hoped for a Downtown location but that still seems far off for now until more residential comes down the line for the Cedars/Lamar/CBD and Deep Ellum.

This is why I thought West Commerce or Ft Worth Ave would be a great fit for them: they would capture the Kessler/granola Oak Cliff demographic plus West Dallas, downtown, and maybe even a small portion of Uptown. I do have a feeling that they expanded too quickly and just need to get caught up before taking another look.

I think a lot about the Starbucks on Westmoreland and Illinois Ave that opened around 2007 and closed around 2009. Of course it was an awful time for the economy but I also think that location was way too far from their demographic. Even now, 10 years later, I wouldn't look west of Hampton Rd for a big brand like Starbucks or Trader Joe's in Oak Cliff and W Dallas.

The Starbucks off of Cockrell Hill and I30 does pretty well, and it's west of Hampton Rd.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Jul 2018 12:02

anon wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:

The Starbucks off of Cockrell Hill and I30 does pretty well, and it's west of Hampton Rd.

I was this close to qualifying my statement with "not counting any shopping centers along I-30," just forgot to.

But of course you're right.

warden62

Postby warden62 » 04 Aug 2018 09:05

Some reflections on the Albertson's at Mockingbird and Abrams...

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2018/0 ... s-curious/
Ryan
--

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 Aug 2018 16:04

After Royal Blue opening, downtown Dallas eager for more grocery options
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ry-options

I didn't know about the proposed grocery store at Ross and Griffin.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 29 Nov 2018 11:52

Albertsons in Grand Prairie and Tom Thumb in Irving to close
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... y-closings

I'm not really interested in this story except for what it may mean for stores closer to home. We're still waiting to feel the effects of La Bodega/El Super buying Fiesta, for example. This week I heard a rumor that Kroger in Wynnewood Village will close because they can't afford the rent hike coming due to renovations at the shopping center.

If that rumor turns out to be true, it's likely not due to a rent hike but maybe another grocery store approached them offering a better deal. Sprouts has been rumored to be kicking the tires in Oak Cliff, so we'll see what happens.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 19 Dec 2018 22:56

Eataly Chairman confirms a Dallas location opening possibily Spring 2019

"From the first Eataly that opened in Turin in January 2007 by founder Oscar Farinetti, the company has been steadily expanding with units around the world. Guerra underscored the openings in Las Vegas at the end of the month, followed by venues in Toronto, Dallas and San Jose, Calif., starting from the spring. “We are also in advanced negotiations for three to four additional stores in the U.S.,” he revealed, adding that the U.S. is the company’s second market in terms of sales volumes."

https://wwd.com/eye/lifestyle/experienc ... 202935694/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Dec 2018 22:59

Wow that is really soon. Nice find, by the way!

So if they are planning to open soon, we can assume they are taking over an existing space, and not anchoring some sort of new development. I'm pretty sure it was rumored, a while ago, that they might possibly come to one of the proposed developments near Cityplace.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 19 Dec 2018 23:14

Amazing news and I’m gonna be there all the time, but where and how are they going to get this open by Sprong 2019???? I guess it’s not going in that new development at 75 and Haskell. Exciting nonetheless.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 20 Dec 2018 11:07

I'm not sure we should be reading that as meaning that the Dallas location will open in Spring 2019. I think it should be read to mean that they have plans for locations in Toronto, Dallas and San Jose, the first of which (Toronto) will open this spring.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 20 Dec 2018 12:53

Also, I am wondering if when they say “Dallas”, that actually means Dallas, or are they referring to the metro area? I could see this going to Legacy or some new development in Frisco.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 20 Dec 2018 13:23

Jbarn wrote:Also, I am wondering if when they say “Dallas”, that actually means Dallas, or are they referring to the metro area? I could see this going to Legacy or some new development in Frisco.

Was the space that was supposed to house Dean and Deluca at Legacy West filled? I'm not sure if it matches at all size-wise, but might be something that's further along and ready to move into.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Dec 2018 13:34

Jbarn wrote:Also, I am wondering if when they say “Dallas”, that actually means Dallas, or are they referring to the metro area? I could see this going to Legacy or some new development in Frisco.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. If they are opening in Spring 2019, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them opening somewhere in the suburbs instead. Are there any spots left in Legacy West, because that feels like the only area popular enough to warrant an Eataly.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 20 Dec 2018 15:58

Eataly going to the burbs would be very painful I hope that does not happen.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 10 Jan 2019 00:41

Checking in on some new retail lease maps of Oak Cliff Bishop Arts and noticed that a new Royal Blue Grocery (logo appears at Davis & Llewellyn) might be in the works just down the street from the proposed Central Market.

Anyone heard anything about an Oak Cliff location? That would make 4 in DFW (HP Village, 2 Downtown, and then this one)
Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 10.32.29 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 10 Jan 2019 09:17

Jasimm wrote:Checking in on some new retail lease maps of Oak Cliff Bishop Arts and noticed that a new Royal Blue Grocery (logo appears at Davis & Llewellyn) might be in the works just down the street from the proposed Central Market.

Is that the former Bolsa Mercado location?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 Jan 2019 10:53

ericthegardener wrote:
Jasimm wrote:Checking in on some new retail lease maps of Oak Cliff Bishop Arts and noticed that a new Royal Blue Grocery (logo appears at Davis & Llewellyn) might be in the works just down the street from the proposed Central Market.

Is that the former Bolsa Mercado location?

Good catch! Yes, that does appear to be the old Bolsa Mercado.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 10 Jan 2019 12:07

I wonder if this is official. If so, that's some pretty big news for the BA area.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 14 Jan 2019 13:07

Amazon/Wholw Foods cancels Whole Foods 365 store plans.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/whole- ... res-ending

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 14 Jan 2019 16:09

Anybody know when the Tom Thumb at the Union in Victory Park will open? Originally, they said Fall 2018, then early 2019, so I would think it should be opening soon.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 14 Jan 2019 16:59

Redblock wrote:Amazon/Wholw Foods cancels Whole Foods 365 store plans.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/whole- ... res-ending

From the article, it sounds like the 365 brand is going away, but the broader strategy is being retained (i.e. lower prices on staple items). Not really surprising as the 365 concept was pre-Amazon and almost immediately after the acquisition WF started reducing prices (often times to near what kroger was charging).

It would be nice to see a smaller WF like the one in Uptown get included in a development project downtown. Royal Blue is nice but the selection is limited and pricey.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 15 Jan 2019 23:07

H-E-B was just named the 4th-best grocery store in the U.S., according to a survey

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/bus ... ing-survey

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 13 Oct 2022 12:13

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 16 Oct 2022 09:44

Redblock wrote:Kroger buying Albertsons!!!

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/13/shares- ... roger.html

But we don't know how much the Feds will like this deal--if they like it at all. They will surely be told they'll have sell stores and/or divisions. This could end up giving H-E-B more stores here. But it's early yet. The reports are saying early 2024 before the deal closes.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 16 Oct 2022 10:21

The gigantic companies formed by all sorts of mergers like this over the last couple decades are just the latest debilitating aspect of supply side economics. We've learned that some industries need companies to be ginormous, but I don't think the grocery industry is one. Our food should be more locally sourced and so should the industry delivering the goods.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 19 Oct 2022 20:52

Wooohhhhh let's remember HEB needs a large parcel to build their stores I doubt they would take any of the closing Tom Thumb stores unless the rest of the center is emptied out to reformat towards a supercenter-like store. Most of the sold stores would be Safeway/Tom Thumb/Albertsons brands, according to the proposal, since Kroger is buying Albertsons. For example, in Oak Lawn Tom Thumb in the Turtle Creek center and the Kroger on Wycliff, I am sure the tiny Tom Thumb would be closed since they are so close and there is no room for a large format-sized store there cause that Tom Thumb is a too small as it is and has no room to expand.

How about the Tom Thumb at Mockingbird and Abrams vs the Kroger at Mockingbird and Greenville Ave. HEB doesn't act like they want to compete on urban medium/smaller formatted stores, and buying many of them at once seems the complete opposite of their plans for DFW, even if the FEDs let it happen.

I just don't see this deal going very far at all with the feds, so I doubt HEB is a serious part of the options here. HEB wants the new money in the far-out burbs they have zero interest in urban stores, even in the suburb-like city of Dallas neighborhoods, until they have a larger stable store count in the burbs.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 21 Dec 2023 18:11

HEB's Joe V's Smart Shop concept is coming to South Dallas and Pleasant Grove.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... mart-shop/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Dec 2023 11:08

tamtagon wrote:The gigantic companies formed by all sorts of mergers like this over the last couple decades are just the latest debilitating aspect of supply side economics. We've learned that some industries need companies to be ginormous, but I don't think the grocery industry is one. Our food should be more locally sourced and so should the industry delivering the goods.

Funny you say that, all these giant box grocers around and I almost never go in there. I prefer smaller local markets since I am usually buying produce and most of the giants have lesser quality meats and produce. Local is always preferable.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 15 Jan 2024 15:22

Progress on Joe V's at Westmoreland and Camp Wisdom (formerly The Hair Depot, lol).

IMG_2486 Large.jpeg
IMG_2489 Large.jpeg
IMG_2485 Large.jpeg