Downtown Dallas: Bryan Tower

Tnexster

Downtown Dallas: Bryan Tower

Postby Tnexster » 03 Oct 2018 20:21

CEO: Baylor Scott & White Health will vacate Bryan Tower in Dallas

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... bryan.html

Baylor Scott & White Health will vacate Bryan Tower in downtown Dallas when it consolidates into a large office administration facility in Deep Ellum, the health care system’s CEO said today.

"The employees that are in (Bryan Tower) are part of the consolidation," Jim Hinton, CEO of Baylor Scott & White Health, told the Dallas Business Journal on Wednesday. "When the new building is opened, we will be moving them."

lakewoodhobo

Re: Downtown Dallas: Bryan Tower

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 Oct 2018 21:44

Per the Steve Brown version of the story:

And the building owners are completing a restaurant that opens in January with a patio extending almost all the way to the sidewalk of Harwood Street.

I haven't seen anything under construction facing Harwood, but if true that's at least some good news.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 04 Oct 2018 10:54

Yeah, I talked with the architect of record on that and they are finally making some relevant improvements to the building. Apparently, the patio might not be the only addition. At a minimum, we may get some updates to the landscaping around the base to improve the urban qualities of the building which is set pretty far back on the site.

The other factor that's important here is SPIRE who owns all those lots near the Art's District offices and owns this building so this will be an indicator of their ability to survive.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 04 Oct 2018 11:05

With the improvements coming to the building and the new park nearby coming hopefully they can secure a new lease to absorb this loss. That part of downtown is on the move so I hope this doesn't stifle that energy.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 04 Oct 2018 11:33

Honestly not sure how Payless is doing as a company, but if they wanted to test an urban/technology concept store this would be a great place for it, next to whatever restaurant the owners are planning.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Oct 2018 11:43

^a resurfacing downtown like Dallas is a great place for all those once successful but faded brands to test-market for the next couple of generations. Dallas in particular is a desirable try-it-on demographic, has been for decades.

If JCPenny has any brain power left, they'll high-tail it out of the suburbs and get into the city. In addition to the toxic management attacking that company, it's stagnating itself to the same library category as Radio Shaq, Circuit City, Sears, Wards....

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 04 Oct 2018 12:17

tamtagon wrote:^a resurfacing downtown like Dallas is a great place for all those once successful but faded brands to test-market for the next couple of generations. Dallas in particular is a desirable try-it-on demographic, has been for decades.

If JCPenny has any brain power left, they'll high-tail it out of the suburbs and get into the city. In addition to the toxic management attacking that company, it's stagnating itself to the same library category as Radio Shaq, Circuit City, Sears, Wards....

(I know this is off topic)

Wow. You just brought back so many of my childhood memories, when you mentioned Montgomery Ward. I totally forgot about that store until now. I spent a good chunk of my childhood there :lol:

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Oct 2018 12:28

tamtagon wrote:If JCPenny has any brain power left, they'll high-tail it out of the suburbs and get into the city. In addition to the toxic management attacking that company, it's stagnating itself to the same library category as Radio Shaq, Circuit City, Sears, Wards....

I don't know if JCP is going to make it, their stock price is in steep decline and as of today sits at $1.67. At the rate they are going they will be a penny stock before long.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 19 Oct 2018 07:50

Dallas' Bryan Tower joins 'amenities gone wild' trend to attract new downtown tenants
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -dog-parks

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Oct 2018 12:26

Rendering from the article above...
bryantower.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 15 Nov 2018 09:25

Not quite the Spire construction fence we've been waiting ages to see, but glad to see this smaller project start so quickly after announcement.

IMG_3956.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Nov 2018 18:22

Desperation comes in many forms and they are behind so I am also glad to see some progress here.

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 04 Dec 2018 00:51

This is speculation, but it sure sounds like Fred's Inc. is moving its headquarters from Memphis to Bryan Tower.

https://old.reddit.com/r/downtowndallas ... eneral_is/

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Dec 2018 06:57

This ill toned opinion piece from Bloomberg is interesting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... -behind-it

...Alden Global was founded by a Wall Street billionaire named Randall Smith, whom the New York Post once labeled “the grandfather of vulture investing.” In 2007, Smith hired Freeman away from a more genteel firm, mentored him in the ruthless ways of vulture investing, and then handed Alden Global over to him.

Smith also owned a real estate development company, Spire Realty, that operated primarily in Texas. Among its holdings is Bryan Tower, a Dallas skyscraper that was built in the early 1970s by the great Texas developer Trammel Crow. Smith and his son Caleb, who is a partner at Spire Realty, renovated the tower shortly after buying it in 1998....

Seems like the move to Bryan Tower is pretty much a done deal, yes; also seems like that's not the final destination for these brands. Maybe the bargain shoe store and small town pharmacy/convenience grocer are headed toward the recycle bin.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Dec 2018 08:00

trueicon wrote:This is speculation, but it sure sounds like Fred's Inc. is moving its headquarters from Memphis to Bryan Tower.

https://old.reddit.com/r/downtowndallas ... eneral_is/

If true this would be number three since Amazon finally made their choice.

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 04 Dec 2018 20:24

tamtagon wrote:Seems like the move to Bryan Tower is pretty much a done deal, yes; also seems like that's not the final destination for these brands. Maybe the bargain shoe store and small town pharmacy/convenience grocer are headed toward the recycle bin.

Very interesting, thanks for posting that article.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sell off many of Fred's small town locations. Looking at the job postings they have for Dallas, it seems they're interested in business analytics, which tells me they plan to make some changes to the brand. Hopefully they'll find success.

We certainly have a plethora of upscale retailers downtown. I'd love to see more moderate-priced retailers, and I think some competition would be healthy for the likes of CVS.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Dec 2018 20:53

So if they plant their corporate office in Bryan Tower could that mean a store on the ground level?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 17 Jan 2019 13:44

This should be a good fit. Nice addition for Bryan Tower!

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... yan-tower/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jan 2019 14:12

This has been on my list of places to try, but I rarely make it out to the Sylvan Thirty area. Really glad this is coming to Downtown, but, unfortunately, it looks like they won't be open too late:
Since the worker population is their primary focus, they won't keep late-night hours, staying open until about 7 pm.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 17 Jan 2019 15:21

Hopefully they plan to have weekend hours too. They will be fairly close to the revamp Pacific Plaza, so it would be cool to be able to grab something there and go over to the park.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Jan 2019 19:13

It is still hard for these downtown places to seriously keep a resident population interested. Main Street is where most of the after-hours crowd congregates. This end has two hotels and office buildings that empty out around 5pm. Even the Sheraton as big as it is isn't enough to keep a place like this busy 7 days a week. Hotels provide waves of traffic rather than steady income for places like this. What we need is some serious residential in that area to pump up the potential for later open retail/restaurants. There are plenty of lots nearby that one day could contain residential and Mathews Southwest has residential planned nearby but even that is targeting an affordable demographic that may or may not frequent a place like this.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 Jan 2019 20:42

Great place, glad to see they are expanding.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jan 2019 22:27

cowboyeagle05 wrote:It is still hard for these downtown places to seriously keep a resident population interested. Main Street is where most of the after-hours crowd congregates. This end has two hotels and office buildings that empty out around 5pm. Even the Sheraton as big as it is isn't enough to keep a place like this busy 7 days a week. Hotels provide waves of traffic rather than steady income for places like this. What we need is some serious residential in that area to pump up the potential for later open retail/restaurants. There are plenty of lots nearby that one day could contain residential and Mathews Southwest has residential planned nearby but even that is targeting an affordable demographic that may or may not frequent a place like this.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. As much as it disappoints me that this place won't be open past 7pm, the reality is that the demand is just not there (yet). But even though this won't be open late, it still helps fuel more demand to the area, which should hopefully lead to more residents and businesses in the area, and eventually places like this will decide to extend their hours to later on in the evening.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 18 Jan 2019 10:43

This area is one of the donut holes within downtown that'll take some time to hit critical mass. I've worked in a building here for 12 years now and love that we're getting Pacific Plaza, but aside from this and the redevelopment of One Dallas Center and Crozier, plus the MATA extension, we're a bit stagnant. It's just a no-man's land between the Arts District and EMC for now, which is why it makes me so angry that First Baptist wants to demolish a building that would be perfect for residential.

I would love for Energy Plaza and one of the Southland Center towers to turn residential in the future, otherwise they'll have to build on top of the many parking garages here to make it a neighborhood.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 18 Jan 2019 11:45

I agree I walk all over downtown and this part still feels the most like the downtown from the 1990's all about the office worker and very few live right there. I do however feel that with the new park and the Dart and Mata connections that eventually this area will grow and liven up. I would love to see something nearby converted into apartment building or built new.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 18 Jan 2019 12:43

lakewoodhobo wrote:This area is one of the donut holes within downtown that'll take some time to hit critical mass. I've worked in a building here for 12 years now and love that we're getting Pacific Plaza, but aside from this and the redevelopment of One Dallas Center and Crozier, plus the MATA extension, we're a bit stagnant. It's just a no-man's land between the Arts District and EMC for now, which is why it makes me so angry that First Baptist wants to demolish a building that would be perfect for residential.

I would love for Energy Plaza and one of the Southland Center towers to turn residential in the future, otherwise they'll have to build on top of the many parking garages here to make it a neighborhood.

Hartford Building is a good candidate for conversion as well. It has an interesting rooftop patio and views of the new park. These lots are also ideal for some residential towers. Link: https://goo.gl/maps/jjqHb5PidvD2

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 18 Jan 2019 13:29

Remove the top structure and put in a pool and deck and your done.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 18 Jan 2019 19:05

^ The building was designed to look like Independence Hall. Removing that would pretty much ruin that.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 18 Jan 2019 19:32

Hannibal Lecter wrote:^ The building was designed to look like Independence Hall. Removing that would pretty much ruin that.

Agree. Remove the New England decorative top and it would just be a beige brick box.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 21 Jan 2019 11:21

My idea was to modernize the entire look to appeal to possible renters. Not much context for an old new england look around Dallas.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 21 Jan 2019 12:12

dfwcre8tive wrote:
Hannibal Lecter wrote:^ The building was designed to look like Independence Hall. Removing that would pretty much ruin that.

Agree. Remove the New England decorative top and it would just be a beige brick box.

As opposed to being a beige brick box with an incongruous imitation of Independence Hall perched on top of it. ;-)

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 21 Jan 2019 14:31

lakewoodhobo wrote:I would love for Energy Plaza and one of the Southland Center towers to turn residential in the future, otherwise they'll have to build on top of the many parking garages here to make it a neighborhood.

Energy Plaza is poorly suited to residential conversion- the utility and elevator core eats up a big chunk of the floorplate leaving a relatively narrow space for apartments and circulation space. There's no water or sewage lines outside of the core either- the office area is concrete on metal deck construction. They'd have to build residential units on a raised floor (with a transition ramp to align with stairs/elevators) to accommodate utilities, or cut through the concrete and hide pipes behind drop ceiling on the floor below.

Floorplates on page 2 of this PDF:
https://images2.loopnet.com/d2/3e9DDRax ... cument.pdf

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 21 Jan 2019 15:44

I used to work on the 44th floor back in the day and I must say it would have made a sweet one floor penthouse. Great views cool triangular layout.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 01 Mar 2019 13:24

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... -behind-it

Not sure how many forumers read the link tamtagon posted above, informing us that Spire Realty's Smith family ownership (father Randall, son Caleb, et al.) were going to be able to pay on their Bryan Tower mortgage note without running into the red by paying themselves their ask rates through getting Payless ShoeSource as a HQ office tenant. The hedge fund that Randall Smith founded is now being sued for allegedly mismanaging Payless:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/payless-ow ... 1550769973

So they needed a new tenant for Bryan Tower. Guess which hedge fund runs Fred's... How long will that last? This is why Randall was termed a vulture investor who does not invest in his investments. https://nypost.com/2012/07/26/vulture-in-distress/

The fund is now attempting a bargain takeover of Gannett newspapers, so the news for this thread might be the headline, "USA Today headed to Downtown Dallas, Texas?"

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 Mar 2019 14:29

^This all sounds ridiculously shady. Thanks for connecting the dots for us.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 24 Jul 2019 09:11

The exterior work on Bryan Tower is now finished, and it's a huge improvement on what it looked like before. Really wish this was facing Pacific Plaza instead of being a block away, but I suppose there's also something desirable about having MATA on one side and DART on the other.

IMG_0474.jpg

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 06 Aug 2019 15:28

Did they ever sign a new lease for what they are going to loose on the Baylor Scott and White move out? That will leave a good portion empty in that building and area.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 27 Jan 2020 09:49

Landmark downtown Dallas skyscraper up for grabs
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -for-grabs

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 9.43.22 AM.jpg

My hope is that a buyer comes in with a real interest in bringing this building into the 21st century, which Spire failed to do. The Pearl lot is especially interesting because a new tower here could include a redesigned/expanded Cancer Survivors Plaza. It is long overdue for some attention.

Zmitz

Postby Zmitz » 28 Jan 2020 10:23

I walk by this area occasionally and always feel uncomfortable, like I'm the only person there. Pipe dream, I'd love to see the Harwood and Olive lots shown above developed into residential towers with decent height. I'm sure the lot size or location limits any interest in development - they will probably remain as surface parking for while, written off because they aren't a full block.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 28 Jan 2020 11:08

Zmitz wrote:I walk by this area occasionally and always feel uncomfortable, like I'm the only person there.

Looks like we just stumbled upon the city's new tagline. :D

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 28 Jan 2020 13:08

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jan 2020 13:59

Some interesting renderings in that sales PDF. Def curious to see who see what potential if they decide to buy. Fountain Place former owners also did something similar when they put it up for sale and the new owners decided to design the project differently than previously proposed. I just wish it made sense for the owners to tear out those skyways and make Cancer Survivor Plaza a true gathering space with restaurant/Retail potential. There is enough property here to make their property a center of activity feeding off the Sheraton, City Center Dallas Marriot, and office customers. Throw in a residential tower with street-level activation and they could really wake this corner up.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Jan 2020 21:33

How is Cibo doing in their space at Bryan Tower? Anybody know?

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 29 Jan 2020 11:46

Only being open M-F 7AM-7PM really makes it just an amenity for the office workers in the building. They don't seem to be interested in playing to the residents or hotel guest of downtown.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Dec 2021 16:40

Downtown Dallas’ Bryan Tower is the next landmark skyscraper in play
40-story Bryan Street tower is one of three downtown high-rises changing hands.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... r-in-play/

The 40-story office tower on the northeast side of downtown was built in 1973, and was one of the first modern reflective glass high-rises constructed in Dallas.

The 1.1 million-square-foot high-rise was only about 35% occupied earlier this year when lenders holding $70 million in debt declared the loan in default and moved to foreclose on the property.

Dallas-based Woods Capital is now negotiating to acquire the Bryan Street tower.

Woods Capital has already purchased the half-acre parking lot next to the building, company officials confirm.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Dec 2021 09:06

Wood Partners could do a decent job here building on the lots and making some changes to Bryan Tower where needed.

The previous article linked in a older post above says this about the sale.

"The sale includes three adjoining downtown parking lots plus part ownership in a parking garage."

Sounds like the former 24hr Fitness space is something both high-rises would have to agree on. Also any luck Wood Partners would eliminate the sky bridge and break the chain through here? The city has been gung ho on getting developers to kill off these underground connections and some above ground ones if the developer is seeking serious money or changes to the site. If you built something on the lot behind the tower you could easily build a roof over a crosswalk and still protect office tenants from rain but break the chain of the sky bridges that connect most of the buildings in this area.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Jan 2022 09:12

Downtown Dallas developments will convert offices to apartments and add new towers
The Bryan Tower and Santander Tower will be overhauled to add luxury apartments.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ew-towers/

A new venture created by Jonas Woods of Dallas-based Woods Capital plans to remodel two downtown office towers into a combination of residences and business space.

“We have consolidated $1 billion of downtown office space into a new entity: Pacific Elm Properties,” Woods said. “It will be the holding company for about four and a half million square feet of downtown office space.

“Our plan for 2022 is to convert about 800,000 square feet of that portfolio into luxury apartments.”

Woods’ firm is buying the 40-story Bryan Tower, which is only about a third occupied by office tenants.

“Our plans at Bryan Tower include converting roughly half the building to luxury apartments,” Woods said. “We are going to spend between the common area improvements and the conversion of the upper floors well over $150 million upgrading that building.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 10 May 2022 19:47

Tnexster wrote:Downtown Dallas developments will convert offices to apartments and add new towers
The Bryan Tower and Santander Tower will be overhauled to add luxury apartments.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ew-towers/

A new venture created by Jonas Woods of Dallas-based Woods Capital plans to remodel two downtown office towers into a combination of residences and business space.

“We have consolidated $1 billion of downtown office space into a new entity: Pacific Elm Properties,” Woods said. “It will be the holding company for about four and a half million square feet of downtown office space.

“Our plan for 2022 is to convert about 800,000 square feet of that portfolio into luxury apartments.”

Woods’ firm is buying the 40-story Bryan Tower, which is only about a third occupied by office tenants.

“Our plans at Bryan Tower include converting roughly half the building to luxury apartments,” Woods said. “We are going to spend between the common area improvements and the conversion of the upper floors well over $150 million upgrading that building.

Is this still happening? Bryan Tower was recently bought by a NY investor.

Downtown Dallas skyscraper sold out of bankruptcy

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... utType=amp

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 May 2022 12:19

That's not Bryan Tower that's the tower nearby 717 Harwood. They share a parking garage access but are not owned together.

The 717 N. Harwood tower — previously home to KPMG and Diamond Shamrock — was put into bankruptcy last year.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 May 2022 12:29

cowboyeagle05 wrote:That's not Bryan Tower that's the tower nearby 717 Harwood. They share a parking garage access but are not owned together.

The 717 N. Harwood tower — previously home to KPMG and Diamond Shamrock — was put into bankruptcy last year.

Sorry, was half sleep and misread.