Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Historic Images of Dallas

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin
Posts: 206
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:47
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Historic Images of Dallas

Postby dfwcre8tive » 08 Jul 2017 14:12

I'm digitizing and posting my personal collection of photos and Kodachrome slides here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dfwcre8ti ... 8842087452

Enjoy!

User avatar
texasstar
Posts: 119
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 22:39

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby texasstar » 10 Jul 2017 15:27

Great collection!!!

User avatar
muncien
Posts: 774
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 08:46
Location: Cypress Waters

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby muncien » 17 Aug 2018 14:38

I found some great little historical pics and accompanying information regarding downtown Dallas on this site... Amazing, some of the architecture we used to have.
https://flashbackdallas.com/category/neighborhoods/downtown/
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 341
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby exelone31 » 17 Aug 2018 16:39

muncien wrote:I found some great little historical pics and accompanying information regarding downtown Dallas on this site... Amazing, some of the architecture we used to have.
https://flashbackdallas.com/category/neighborhoods/downtown/


Flashback Dallas is such a treasure. Thanks for sharing!

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 730
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby lakewoodhobo » 21 Aug 2018 08:15

Here's a composite image of Theater Row that I worked on showing which towers replaced the theaters between Akard and Ervay.

Amazing how we sacrificed the street level for vertical bragging rights.

3723E4AA-4BCE-4416-B1B1-032393C4AD57.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1462
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby tamtagon » 21 Aug 2018 09:39

dude, sweet

too bad we cannot have both

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin
Posts: 206
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:47
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby dfwcre8tive » 21 Aug 2018 18:26

lakewoodhobo wrote:Here's a composite image of Theater Row that I worked on showing which towers replaced the theaters between Akard and Ervay.

Amazing how we sacrificed the street level for vertical bragging rights.

3723E4AA-4BCE-4416-B1B1-032393C4AD57.jpeg


Nice work. Crazy how the scale changed so drastically on everything.

Tnexster
Posts: 1721
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby Tnexster » 29 Aug 2018 17:28

That's Elm....when did it become one way?

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin
Posts: 206
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:47
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby dfwcre8tive » 29 Aug 2018 17:55

Tnexster wrote:That's Elm....when did it become one way?


Here's my original photo, probably from 1945. The streets became one-way after streetcars were removed in the 1960s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dfwcre8tive/15339492725/

User avatar
texasstar
Posts: 119
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 22:39

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby texasstar » 08 Sep 2018 17:55

Image

Stunning recreation of Dallas' Union Station in the 1950's. Gold plated No-Prize to whoever can say where this is located.

User avatar
Hannibal Lecter
Posts: 314
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 19:57

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 08 Sep 2018 23:15

The trains at Northpark.

User avatar
texasstar
Posts: 119
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 22:39

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby texasstar » 10 Sep 2018 13:21

Nope, but I will have to check that out.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 341
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby exelone31 » 10 Sep 2018 13:36

Museum of the American Railroad in Frisco?

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1151
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 10 Sep 2018 17:37

texasstar wrote:Image

Stunning recreation of Dallas' Union Station in the 1950's. Gold plated No-Prize to whoever can say where this is located.

Old red courthouse

User avatar
texasstar
Posts: 119
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 22:39

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby texasstar » 10 Sep 2018 20:45

Exelone31 bags the no-prize. This is the exhibit in Frisco.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 341
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby exelone31 » 11 Sep 2018 11:43

texasstar wrote:Exelone31 bags the no-prize. This is the exhibit in Frisco.


Woohoo! I've wanted to check that place out, is it pretty cool?

User avatar
texasstar
Posts: 119
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 22:39

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby texasstar » 11 Sep 2018 13:15

exelone31 wrote:
texasstar wrote:Exelone31 bags the no-prize. This is the exhibit in Frisco.


Woohoo! I've wanted to check that place out, is it pretty cool?


You definitely should. It is awesome!

Image
Image

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin
Posts: 206
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:47
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby dfwcre8tive » 07 Feb 2019 12:34

I'm finding lots of goodies in the archives of The Thanks-Giving Foundation (albums of photos/slides of downtown Dallas in the 1960s-1980s). Digitizing everything will be a big undertaking.

Chapel of Thanksgiving looking from Elm Street, circa 1981.

Image

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 569
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby R1070 » 14 Feb 2019 22:09

Wouldn't that be looking from Elm street?

User avatar
Hannibal Lecter
Posts: 314
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 19:57

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 14 Feb 2019 23:16

^ Looking from right about https://goo.gl/maps/ef4gJPvX2F32 on Elm Street.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 730
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby lakewoodhobo » 15 Feb 2019 14:55

dfwcre8tive wrote:I'm finding lots of goodies in the archives of The Thanks-Giving Foundation (albums of photos/slides of downtown Dallas in the 1960s-1980s). Digitizing everything will be a big undertaking.

Chapel of Thanksgiving looking from Main Street, circa 1981.

Image



It's a great photo of the chapel, but I'm a little more interested in the foreground showing construction of 1700 Pacific and that underground cavern that never became a transit tunnel.

Would love to see more.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin
Posts: 206
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:47
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Historic Images of Dallas

Postby dfwcre8tive » 18 Feb 2019 12:15

R1070 wrote:Wouldn't that be looking from Elm street?


Yes; that's Elm.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Login