Lakewood-White Rock: Garland Rd./Grand/Gaston intersection

itsjrd1964

Lakewood-White Rock: Garland Rd./Grand/Gaston intersection

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 Aug 2018 05:19

After TxDOT was ready to proceed with plans favoring Gaston and Garland Rd., some are showing a preference for a traditional T-shaped intersection.

TxDOT wants this option:

What some residents would rather have:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/txdot/2 ... nterchange

Hannibal Lecter

Re: Lakewood-White Rock: Garland Rd./Grand/Gaston intersection

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 27 Aug 2018 11:56

NIMBYism at it's finest.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 27 Aug 2018 13:10

The flying lanes in the people recommended version seem much worse than the TXDot version. With those wings, that isn't a T intersection. It's your average highway interchange. A legit T would be better than either.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Sep 2018 14:21

The_Overdog wrote:The flying lanes in the people recommended version seem much worse than the TXDot version. With those wings, that isn't a T intersection. It's your average highway interchange. A legit T would be better than either.

I guess if you are just passing through the area you are looking for the least inconvenient way to get to where you are going, never mind what it looks like or does to the area around it.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 03 Sep 2018 11:50

Garland Road and Gaston were part of the Bankhead Highway, one of the earliest transcontinental highways. It stretched from Washington DC to San Diego. The highway was there before the development. To complain that people use it to pass through the neighborhood is like the people who move next an airport and complain about the noise.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 03 Sep 2018 12:27

Hannibal Lecter wrote: To complain that people use it to pass through the neighborhood is like the people who move next an airport and complain about the noise.

Well, just like Deep Ellum... a neighborhood with a history of harboring minorities, currently famous for bars and nightclubs, debauchery and perversions, and edged by persistent homeless camps, yet people who move there complain about it.

:D

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Sep 2018 12:52

It's always that way, just like around here when coyotes and bobcats attack small cats and dogs and then people complain and want them trapped but do nothing to keep those pets contained. Why did you move here?

electricron

Postby electricron » 03 Sep 2018 13:18

It wasn’t until 1961 with the opening of Thorton Freeway (I-30) before US-67 and interstate trucking traffic left Gaston.
Can you imagine all those semi trucks using Stemmons to get through Dallas today on Gaston instead? That’s where they were before 1961.
The Bankhead Highway was also routed over the Houston Street Viaduct into Oak Cliff and eventually onto Davis heading towards Fort Worth.

FYI The Bankhead Highway ran from Washington DC.. to San Diego, it was a route designated by the Bankhead Highway Association; not by the Federal Government; which organized in 1916. There were several branches, alternate routes, along its way. One branch followed what we would call US 70 today, from Hot Springs to El Paso paralleling the route that followed US 67 and US 80 through DFW.
US routes were not designated until 1926, 10 years later. While many call these Federal highways vs State highways, they have always been built and maintained with State funding until 1995, when more highways, including US routes, were added to the National Highway System making them eligible for matching Federal funds.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 03 Sep 2018 16:39

Wow. Gaston gets twice the volume of Grand from Garland. And these people want to make the through movement go on Garland because maybe it'll trick drivers into taking the other route? lol

Look at that vehicle delay! The 1,596 vehicles going from Garland to Gaston would see their average delay increase from 4.8 seconds to 30.5 seconds under the residents' preferred option. And while the 868 going Garland to Grand would see their delay reduced, it wouldn't be reduced by nearly as much, and for half as many people (plus, this is likely underestimated, see below). Meanwhile the people on Gaston trying to get to Garland get totally hosed, with those 449 people having their delay quadrupled to 140 seconds from 36 seconds. Looking through it, almost every single movement is worse off.

I generally give very few craps about vehicle delay. But the idea is to get some benefit out of the increased delay (like bike lanes! or develop-able land!), not just adding delay for delay's sake.

*In reality, the delay for Garland to Grand travel would be higher than what's shown there because I doubt they've used microsimulation to get those delay estimates. Queuing on the slip lanes would result in increased delay for the through traffic that either got stuck behind them or was forced to use only the far left lane. Getting 800+ cars through what is effectively one through-lane is going to have much more delay that what they show.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 03 Sep 2018 18:43

People who move onto a 4 lane road in the city have no right to complain about traffic or road noise.
Last edited by flyswatter on 04 Sep 2018 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 04 Sep 2018 01:16

electricron wrote:It wasn’t until 1961 with the opening of Thorton Freeway (I-30) before US-67 and interstate trucking traffic left Gaston.
Can you imagine all those semi trucks using Stemmons to get through Dallas today on Gaston instead? That’s where they were before 1961.

That would be like US 75 traffic still having to take Ross and Greenville instead of Central, or US 175 traffic still having to take Commerce and Second Ave. instead of the Hawn Freeway. I can't even imagine the difference.

electricron

Postby electricron » 04 Sep 2018 11:41

itsjrd1964 wrote:
electricron wrote:It wasn’t until 1961 with the opening of Thorton Freeway (I-30) before US-67 and interstate trucking traffic left Gaston.

That would be like US 75 traffic still having to take Ross and Greenville instead of Central, or US 175 traffic still having to take Commerce and Second Ave. instead of the Hawn Freeway. I can't even imagine the difference.

I can image it, I am old enough to remember that traffic before most of the freeways and highway bypasses were built.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 04 Sep 2018 14:30

I'd be okay with delays if they expanded the sidewalks ( or created them portions of Gaston don't even have sidewalks!) Or if they added bikelanes. But this isn't advocating anything.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 05 Sep 2018 10:25

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I'd be okay with delays if they expanded the sidewalks ( or created them portions of Gaston don't even have sidewalks!) Or if they added bikelanes. But this isn't advocating anything.

Yeah, the obvious actual solution to the issue those residents are identifying is a road diet on Gaston, like a standard 4>3 conversion (i.e. change it to one through lane in each direction with a center turn lane and bike lanes on either side). I can't imagine the DOT would be too thrilled about that, though, with the existing volumes, and I don't really have a handle on the politics of those kinds of things in Dallas, regardless.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Sep 2018 10:51

Plus you have well-healed doctors and business owners along these roadways and they tend to shy away from road diets cause they imagine they won't be able to get home faster. The city tends to allow the White Rock residents of a well-heeled set dictate policy in this part of town. Look at what happened with the Arboretum and the parking garage they wanted to build inside the park. Once the high wealth residents were against it the Arboretum and the city changed face there. I am not saying that garage was a well-planned idea just that the city doesn't like to fight White Rock residents on much of anything cause they use their voice.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Oct 2018 11:35

Public Hearing – SH 78 at Gaston Avenue in Dallas County

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get- ... 11318.html

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 02 Dec 2018 01:08

East Dallas’ ‘3G’ intersection is a mess, and the fight over its future doesn't need more twists and turns

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... ists-turns

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 09 Jan 2019 00:41

TxDOT has decided to move ahead with its preferred plan on the intersection, despite previous opposition by some wanting a different layout. The map shows the plan TxDOT has picked. Construction should start on the intersection by sometime next year.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... -right-one

electricron

Postby electricron » 09 Jan 2019 10:41

White Rock Lake residents might have influence over city staffers, but apparently their power over state staffers is not as high. While I do not have anything at stake and really do not care, it is nice to see for once the iperferred choice following an actual-real traffic study chosen.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 31 Jan 2022 10:22

D-Mag is for the pedestrian (again), this time telling those on foot to avoid the Garland Rd./Grand/Gaston intersection for now with construction there underway.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... ersection/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 Mar 2022 09:08

Santa Fe Trail bridge over Garland Road to close, starting early April

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/santa- ... dge-close/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 11 Apr 2022 07:54

Closure of Santa Fe Trail pedestrian bridge over Garland Road postponed

the temporary closure has been pushed back “until further notice while crews make additional revisions to the detour route. A new schedule will be shared as it is finalized.”

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/closur ... postponed/