Oak Cliff Progressing

ericthegardener

Oak Cliff Progressing

Postby ericthegardener » 10 May 2017 21:59

Thought I would start up the "Oak Cliff Progressing" thread from the old board for general Oak Cliff topics that don't deserve a thread of their own.

I'd like to bring up the Frisbee Golf Course that opened a few months back at Founders Park (the smaller park just north of Lake Cliff Park). From what I can see it's been an unqualified success. I drive by that park about 6 times a week and I've seen multiple groups of golfers just about every day that weather allows. It's got to increased safety, having that many more people regularly in the park. Good job to whoever made that happen!

DPatel304

Re: Oak Cliff Progressing

Postby DPatel304 » 11 May 2017 01:05

I didn't know this existed, but that's pretty cool. I've never played Frisbee Golf, but I assume you have to bring your own Frisbees to play?

dpl-1202

Postby dpl-1202 » 11 May 2017 08:50

DPatel304 wrote:I didn't know this existed, but that's pretty cool. I've never played Frisbee Golf, but I assume you have to bring your own Frisbees to play?

yes

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 11 May 2017 15:14

Just wait for progress to start on the Southern Gateway. I believe that alone will add such improvement, not only logistically, but aesthetically to Oak Cliff. The deck park near the zoo will do such wonders.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 May 2017 15:28

joshua.dodd wrote:Just wait for progress to start on the Southern Gateway. I believe that alone will add such improvement, not only logistically, but aesthetically to Oak Cliff. The deck park near the zoo will do such wonders.

Isn't that still in limbo? The Bankruptcy threat is still a big a factor in this coming into realization.

willyk

Postby willyk » 12 May 2017 04:03

I believe that the Southern Gateway is reallly a rebuild of 35 being done by TXDOT, like the Horseshoe, and that the basic Gateway project is not funded by the City. So the Gateway will go forward. There was a recent announcement that TXDOT has awarded the contract.

Part of the Gateway project, which TXDOT had the City approve, is the deck infratructure for the Park. It is now designed in, so the deck will get built.

As far building out the park itself, I am guessing that is part City money and part private funds, just like KWP was. So that part of project is at risk. But the nifty trick was to take advantage of the 35 rebuild and get the deck built as part of the the Gateway. The park should follow sooner or later.

The bigger obstacle to the park has been the opposition from South Oak Cliff, where the Council member voted against it saying the TXDOT money should go to fixing potholes. There is a resentful sentiment that North Dallas people are always deciding what is best for South Dallas, and that sentiment may prevent or delay the park. No good deed goes unpunished.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 24 May 2017 16:57

Just noticed that this building near Beckley and Jefferson has just been torn down. It's a shame. I always thought it was a cool building.

https://goo.gl/maps/h81W5JzeZzR2

photo upload without registration

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 24 May 2017 17:24

ericthegardener wrote:Just noticed that this building near Beckley and Jefferson has just been torn down. It's a shame. I always thought it was a cool building.

Look at those old arcade cabinets!

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 5.22.56 PM.png

Seriously, enough with the demos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 May 2017 18:56

Anyone know why they were demoed

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 May 2017 09:35

We are entering that phase in Oak Cliff where cleared property is worth more to some landowners than preserving history. Demand is getting to the point where landowners who have been holding onto land waiting for a gold rush. The sun is rising on a land grab phase so they are gonna tear down things if they can so they can flip to developers who want to build the CVS's McDonalds, Jack N Box of the world. The demographics are changing and previously underserved brands want to get in where they don't have to fight. If a landowner clears the property and then sells the property to one of these guys they get to play the innocent party and blame the previous owner who is more than happy to count his profits over neighborhood preservation and maintaining the walkability of the area.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 05 Jul 2017 16:15

This was posted on Facebook by "Fort Worth Avenue and West Commerce Street Corridor":

We're not sure for what, but crews have begun preparing the retail pad(s) at the old Colorado Place Apartments at the southwest corner of Colorado and Fort Worth Avenue.
Like about a dozen other rumored sites in North Oak Cliff, months ago we were told that a "game changer" retail offering was planned, like an HEB store or (gasp) Central Market. Or Trader Joe's. But things went quiet after that and site plans showed a Lifetime Fitness.

It's the site that Lincoln Property Co. is developing near Home Depot.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 30 Aug 2017 14:44

Storied Oak Cliff country club eyed for new Dallas housing development

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ce=Twitter

Now Huffines Communities is looking at the more than 150-acre course as the potential site of a new home community in southern Dallas. The project with hundreds of single-family houses would be one of the largest such developments in years in southern Dallas.

muncien

Postby muncien » 30 Aug 2017 17:14

Tnexster wrote:Storied Oak Cliff country club eyed for new Dallas housing development

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ce=Twitter

Now Huffines Communities is looking at the more than 150-acre course as the potential site of a new home community in southern Dallas. The project with hundreds of single-family houses would be one of the largest such developments in years in southern Dallas.

Seems strange... Having homes in south Dallas surrounding a golf course seems better for property values than replacing a golf course with houses. But, I really don't know the area that well. Just seems like a step backwards.

Maybe converting the course to a nine-hole executive style course with homes lining the holes would be better. But, I don't see a house builder doing something like that. More likely, they'll mow it down flat and stick as many zero lot line 1800 sq ft homes in there as they can.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 31 Aug 2017 10:11

I guess it should be viewed as a positive sign that such a large piece of property on the south side is being considered for new home construction. That is a bunch of homes but the proximity to downtown is really good. And rooftops bring retail which would also fuel more growth.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 31 Aug 2017 10:13

What's wrong with the golf course? I'd rather keep the trees.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 31 Aug 2017 10:38

tamtagon wrote:What's wrong with the golf course? I'd rather keep the trees.

Well, they just built that fancy one over by the dump and you know they are going to be looking for every square inch to develop or redevelop.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 31 Aug 2017 10:44

I would suggest a riparian nature preserve, with strategic mid/highrise condos.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 31 Aug 2017 10:49

muncien wrote:Seems strange... Having homes in south Dallas surrounding a golf course seems better for property values than replacing a golf course with houses. But, I really don't know the area that well. Just seems like a step backwards.

Maybe converting the course to a nine-hole executive style course with homes lining the holes would be better. But, I don't see a house builder doing something like that. More likely, they'll mow it down flat and stick as many zero lot line 1800 sq ft homes in there as they can.

I'm sure what your saying is true, but isn't that the exact NIMBY mentality we don't want in Dallas? We need to encourage growth, rather than worry about the property value of existing homeowners. In most cases, the two go hand in hand, but I could see this being a bit of an exception. Then again, more growth will probably be better for the long term of this area as well, so I am in support of this project.

Perhaps there are a number of people interested in buying in this part of town, but would feel more comfortable with a new construction?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 31 Aug 2017 10:51

I don't have any doubt they would sell out every home they build.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 31 Aug 2017 12:26

Picolé Pops owner Adrian Lara tells Eater that the forthcoming popsicle shop is set to soon open its first location in the Bishop Arts District at 415 West Davis Street, a stone’s throw away from Lockhart Smokehouse. A second location will later follow in Deep Ellum, near Pecan Lodge.

https://dallas.eater.com/2017/8/31/1623 ... ishop-arts

I can see this being a huge hit, just like Steel City Pops is. It makes sense, since people like to wander the streets in these areas, and a Popsicle is a quick and easy treat to have with you while you walk.

I'm not a fan of the overlap of Deep Ellum and Bishop arts, though. I was pretty surprised when Emporium pies decided to open in DE, and now this Popsicle shop will do the same soon enough. I'm afraid this trend might continue making these neighborhoods less and less unique.

muncien

Postby muncien » 31 Aug 2017 16:04

DPatel304 wrote:
muncien wrote:Seems strange... Having homes in south Dallas surrounding a golf course seems better for property values than replacing a golf course with houses. But, I really don't know the area that well. Just seems like a step backwards.

I'm sure what your saying is true, but isn't that the exact NIMBY mentality we don't want in Dallas? We need to encourage growth, rather than worry about the property value of existing homeowners. In most cases, the two go hand in hand, but I could see this being a bit of an exception. Then again, more growth will probably be better for the long term of this area as well, so I am in support of this project.

Perhaps there are a number of people interested in buying in this part of town, but would feel more comfortable with a new construction?

I hear ya... I'm very pro growth as well. But I'd like to see growth in the south be done to increase values to help bridge the gap between North and South. Everything is so lopsided now. They mention the mayor's initiative in the article, but I really see better ways to accomplish this then simply wiping out a golf course and packing houses into it.

Maybe whatever they come up with will surprise me... I don't know. I really don't have any skin in the game down there, but I do with them the best. I'd love to see a better balance.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 31 Aug 2017 17:02

muncien wrote:I hear ya... I'm very pro growth as well. But I'd like to see growth in the south be done to increase values to help bridge the gap between North and South. Everything is so lopsided now. They mention the mayor's initiative in the article, but I really see better ways to accomplish this then simply wiping out a golf course and packing houses into it.

Maybe whatever they come up with will surprise me... I don't know. I really don't have any skin in the game down there, but I do with them the best. I'd love to see a better balance.

Gotcha. In that case, I definitely see where you are coming from. Chances are, this won't accomplish what you are looking for.

Even though things are lopsided, I'm still excited to see what could become of the southern portion of the region. I haven't spent a ton of time on this side of town, but the houses and neighborhoods seem to have a lot more character, and there's definitely more nature too. I also think there is more potential for smart/urban growth in the south. In the short term, this means it will probably remain lop-sided, but, as urban development becomes more important, I'd like to think the area would be in better shape than the north.

I look at the current hot neighborhoods in the north and I just can't think of how they can become smarter cities. They can continue to develop these pockets of urban neighborhoods like Shops at Legacy, but those particular suburbs will forever be car-reliant. The neighborhoods and houses are simply built too far apart, making it difficult to efficiently get around. Maybe I'm wrong and they will find a way to develop more smartly, but the south has a head start in this regard. Their houses are closer together, the neighborhoods aren't walled fortresses, which can definitely make public transportation more feasible.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Nov 2017 12:36

Magnolia Property Co. just finished their apartment building at Zang and 5th but made changes to their plans for the Trinity Presbyterian Church next door, which was supposed to become a restaurant plus residential units. It will now be a boutique hotel and event space called Chijmes and it's set to open in March.

Magnolia is also moving forward on another phase of the project on the SE corner of Zang and 6th that'll include about 60 units plus a 2,500 sf restaurant and some additional live/work units in three buildings.

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 12.21.38 PM.png

Further south on Zang, the owner of Wynneood Village seems to be moving on redevelopment plans, having purchased some parcels that weren't owned by Brixmor before. They'll be at CPC this week with an item to replat the shopping center. Hopefully it comes with an update on the gym and movie theater that were talked about 3 months ago.

Zang Blvd is finally getting some attention.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Nov 2017 20:37

Late Dallas mayor's 107-year-old home to be reborn as north Oak Cliff eatery
This time next year, give or take, there will be a new restaurant in a very old north Oak Cliff home — a home built in 1910 by the former chief justice of Dallas' 5th Court of Appeals who would become Dallas' mayor during the Texas centennial of 1936. For that, you can thank the Dallas City Council and the developer for which several council members had nothing but kind words when blessing his project — and its parking requirements — at the end of Wednesday's council meeting.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas- ... iff-eatery

Thanks for the information Lakewoodhobo. There's so much stuff going on in Oak Cliff, it's really hard for me to keep track of it.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 Jan 2018 10:17

Drove past Wynnewood Village this morning and noticed that demolition has begun on the Wynnewood State Bank Building. Owners are expected to announce this week that a new fitness center will take its place, possibly the first phase in a $30M renovation that will also bring a new movie theater.

ImageWynnewood State Bank - OAK CLIFF (Dallas) Tx Closed by Randy Carlisle, on Flickr

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 16 Jan 2018 12:07

Tearing down midcentury modern buildings for souless big box stores. Yay Dallas.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 16 Jan 2018 16:26

Not sure if this is a good thing or not....

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 20 Jan 2018 08:59

Matt777 wrote:Tearing down midcentury modern buildings for souless big box stores. Yay Dallas.

Are they tearing it down or renovating it?

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 20 Jan 2018 15:17

Tucy wrote:
Matt777 wrote:Tearing down midcentury modern buildings for souless big box stores. Yay Dallas.

Are they tearing it down or renovating it?

You know, I'm actually not sure but if I had to take a guess I would say tearing it down. The plan presented for Wynewood looked very new construction oriented, kind of a slash and burn approach. I think a cool way to redo it would be to keep the cool looking buildings, scrap literally everything else including the roads, lots, and layout, and then redesign it in a village style with new buildings and roads filling up the spaces in between. Those midcentury buildings would look great polished up with a Texas style landscaping around them, crushed granite, succulents, cacti, outdoor dining patios, etc.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jan 2018 08:58

I too wish they were more aggressive about layout/road changes and integrating urban living but at the end of the day the owners still intend on this being a shopping center with branding that will try to portray it as an urban village.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 30 May 2018 10:01

The Oak Cliff Advocate posts render of building going up at Old Gloria's site:

https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2018/05/look-heres-whats-planned-for-the-old-glorias/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 30 May 2018 20:58

Nice looking addition to Davis, although I miss the old Gloria's, used to go there often.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 30 May 2018 21:33

very nice!
I hope the development across the street gets going soon!

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 Jul 2018 08:23

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... arket-sale

"The View at Kessler Park" tower is on the market. I normally wouldn't post this but it's interesting that the current owners, after just two years, see the potential for market-rate units rather than the affordable ones there now.

"The opportunity exists for a new investor to reposition the asset through full renovation of the unit interiors to achieve rents on par with comparable assets."

The building seems to be in good shape and it retains all of its mid-century character, but I know for sure that the units don't have washer/dryer connections (this could be a project for Centurion following renovations of the Statler and Cabana Hotel).

Of course this adds to the affordable housing crisis, but market rate units here would definitely help fill the new retail on Fort Worth Ave near Hampton.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 30 Jul 2018 21:54

Hispanic-focused movie theater and LA Fitness to anchor Oak Cliff's Wynnewood Village
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/lei ... -oak-cliff

California-based Maya Cinemas, which caters to underserved largely Hispanic communities, said Monday it plans to open a 14-screen first-run theater in the Wynnewood Village in Oak Cliff.

LA Fitness has also committed to a 34,000-square-foot fitness center, Brixmor said late Monday. It will be built near the center's new main entrance at Illinois Avenue. The new building will be built where an old vacant office building stood.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 31 Jul 2018 08:25

Cool. I’ve always felt that Wynnewood has so much potential. I’m glad to see them move forward with plans to revitalize the shopping center.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 31 Jul 2018 08:59

New promo flyer with renderings and layout of LA Fitness and Maya included...
http://www.theretailconnection.net/uplo ... 231002.pdf

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 8.58.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 9.01.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 9.00.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 8.59.54.png

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 31 Jul 2018 09:11

Great find!!! ^^^^

I would love to see another retailer, maybe a Target or something. I don’t think there’s one near this location. But what they got so far is a great step forward. Can’t wait for the progress.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 31 Jul 2018 09:15

Still tons of parking, wish they could/would convert some of that to something else, even some residential with parking underneath would be an improvement.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 31 Jul 2018 11:21

One thing that's pretty shocking to me is the amount of screens they plan on opening here, since 14 screens are typically what you see in new shopping centers out in the suburbs. For comparison, Alamo Drafthouse in the Cedars is 7 screens and Cinépolis Victory Park is 8 screens.

The amount of foot traffic generated by so many showtimes, not to mention LA Fitness, should prompt construction of at least one of these proposed restaurants in the brochure. I'm not sure Starbucks would be interested in that 812 sq ft space, but they have a store in NY that's only 538 sq ft.

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 10.25.25 AM.jpg

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 31 Jul 2018 12:39

I wonder if Wynnewood Village will evolve into 'the next West Village.' Catering toward the Latino/Hispanic side of things.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 31 Jul 2018 13:46

If you go through the urban design strategy plan for Wynnewood Village the city did in 2015 they would like it to become an urban dense walkable development. Brixmor though is interested in these upgrades alone I am sure. They will spend the money on facade improvements, add the new tenants and sell to the next owner/operator/developer who will look at further changes. I doubt Brixmor is into this for more than what we see rendered above.

http://dallascityhall.com/government/Co ... 030215.pdf
Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 1.49.59 PM.png

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 31 Jul 2018 14:32

tamtagon wrote:I wonder if Wynnewood Village will evolve into 'the next West Village.' Catering toward the Latino/Hispanic side of things.

As much as I love the idea of a Hispanic West Village, most middle-class Hispanics shop at the same stores as middle-class white people, and this neighborhood isn't getting poorer (mind you, there will always be some public housing next door and it'll be culturally diverse for the foreseeable future). Add to the fact that Wynnewood will capture I-35 traffic, 1M+ Dallas Zoo visitors and Bishop Arts customers who also like chain stores, and the numbers make this shopping center attract retailers like the two new California-based anchors.

cowboyeagle05 wrote:They will spend the money on facade improvements, add the new tenants and sell to the next owner/operator/developer who will look at further changes. I doubt Brixmor is into this for more than what we see rendered above.

At the January community meeting, Brixmor said they were open to adding residential in the future but it's clear that they have no interest in that. I have no doubt that after this phase, they'll look into selling it off. The next owner should build Kroger a new Signature store where Ross is and bulldoze the part where Kroger is now for mixed-use residential.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 31 Jul 2018 14:41

Good to know, as for the small space for a coffee shop, maybe somebody else would pick that up like Ascension or some other local brew. I would much rather see a local over Starbucks.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 31 Jul 2018 15:04

Tnexster wrote:Good to know, as for the small space for a coffee shop, maybe somebody else would pick that up like Ascension or some other local brew. I would much rather see a local over Starbucks.

This isn't local in the Dallas sense, but there's a coffee place I like in Austin called Epoch Coffee http://epochcoffee.com/ that has a similar branding to Maya.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Aug 2018 07:20

Unsure where to post... Technically it's oak Cliff so I'll place here.

.. The Trinity Flooring and Tile buildings off Beckley and 30 have been demolished. These were situated right along Beckley with direct access to the Trinity river levee. There's been a sign for a carwash place there since 2015 that says coming soon.

I hope we're not placing a car wash there. This location would be great for some mid rise residential buildings. Such a great location.

Anyone know what this is about!?!?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Aug 2018 07:24

Some pix

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Aug 2018 08:45

Were these buildings being torn down on Oregon Ave off of Beckley just south of 30? I am having trouble narrowing it down on Google Maps using the business name.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Aug 2018 09:04

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Anyone know what this is about!?!?

Looks to be unrelated to the proposed car wash. The owners are FLOURNOY Development, a residential developer from Georgia. They've had the property since March of this year.

http://flournoycompanies.com/DevCurrent.asp

I'll see what else I can find out.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Aug 2018 09:35

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Were these buildings being torn down on Oregon Ave off of Beckley just south of 30? I am having trouble narrowing it down on Google Maps using the business name.

Yes those. The name I provided may be incorrect.