Las Colinas/North Irving Development

muncien

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby muncien » 05 Jul 2018 14:05

Kelley USA wrote:From the DMN regarding Big Beat... Eviction seems to be final for the most part!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/res ... enter-site

That is good to see. I actually saw a few 'official' looking folks walking through and looking at the buildings two days ago. There's also still LOTS of stuff inside these venues. If they have a yardsale, I'll be all over that. lol

Looking at the article, it's also good to see that bookings for the main venue are nearly double what they had predicted. That's a good sign...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Lakegirl

Postby Lakegirl » 10 Jul 2018 20:18

On a positive note, a few days ago I saw what appeared to be one guy showing two people from a restaurant company the location which was previously going to be The Londoner at Gables. Maybe someone else is interested in that location. The Gables restaurants are really coming along. The new Market at Gables has installed a grill and looks like it is going to make food to order too. That could be a really great thing.

Some of us that live in buildings a walkable distance from the Music Factory went to lunch today (not at the Music Factory.) I was saying that I bet the city official powers that be are freaking out concerning the overall failures at the music factory. Then here it comes on the news tonight regarding a new lawsuit which is trying to prevent the millions in tax dollars being paid to the developers of the music factory. Everything from the location being cited over and over for parking issues, hundreds if not thousands of complaints regarding parking, complaints and potential lawsuits regarding the restrooms and the allegations being made that they are not ADA compliant, the failures of the restaurant venues to do anywhere near sales projections were that they would be doing by this time, the overall poor food quality at some of the restaurants and on and on is contributing to the overall failure of the Music Factory project. Add to that the many issues with the Billy Bob bunch, and the possibility that he and his lawyers are going to somehow make it possible for part of the music factory areas to remain unoccupied for sometime. On top of that many, many reports that the food at the venues at the music factory is getting worse. I personally have heard a whole lot of people say that last part about the food quality declining at the restaurants out there. I have to think it could be due to cost cutting measures due to lack of sales...

If the city wants to save it and wants to save face they need to get moving and do many, many things out there at the Music Factory. Just the parking issues alone are going to be difficult to fix due to the design of the whole project. People here just don't want to park way up in a garage and come down to go to restaurants that aren't all that great. They would rather drive to Grapevine/Southlake or Dallas, park right in front, and go to much better restaurants. Even though they have made the parking free much of the time people just don't want to hassle with it. On top of that the tram from Gables to the Music Factory is STILL not running although it was supposed to have started working in APRIL with the overall tram hours around the lake extended to later at night. This assuredly should have been made to happen before the 4th of July when the biggest crowd of the year is out here.

Not that there aren't a few places over at the Music Factory worth going to on occasion, but overall something needs to be done. Letting Thirsty Lion, Yardhouse, and Bar Louie have three of the main locations right out front was a problem from day one. The three places are too similar and are assuredly taking sales from each other. Not that this is easily solvable as I would think they all have fairly lengthy leases.

One of my neighbors said today that she bets that before long the music factory will end up being like that little restaurant area on Las Colinas blvd, mostly deserted. I have to say I think that she may be right. I can't see the music factory doing well in the long run unless major changes are made. Just wait until the new Arlington music/restaurant development opens. And now there is going to be one in Frisco as well. We already have a number of concert arenas in the DFW area. We can only support so many. A great part of the DFW populace cannot afford or is not willing to pay $300 for a concert ticket.....

I think Gables will do well with the locals once everything gets opened up. I think the Music Factory has to pretty much scrap and start over or they are doomed to fail for the most part and in the long run.....

We will see but every day the news from the Music Factory appears to get worse.....
It would be nice if its even possible for a group to take the reins and try to work on fixing what problems are fixable out there. Maybe something is going on to do just that but we sure haven't heard of anything like that going on...

muncien

Postby muncien » 11 Jul 2018 09:48

^^^^
A judge has already told Billy Bob that he'll have to put some significant money down in order to continue his lawsuit. Essentially, they found that it has little merit. You have to keep in mind that when Ark settled with Las Colinas Group (Billy Bob group) for the city in order to get the contract, they had to award Billy Bob some spaces. I can almost assure you that there was bad blood from the get go, and that these two couldn't wait to blame eachother. I bet Ark was glad to get them out as soon as they could, and can't wait to get someone else in.

Parking has been free every time I have visited the last few weeks (should have been this way all along), and if folks think this was bad, there is no way they will deal with the mess that is Arlington. The two aren't even comparable.

Other than two of the venues at Big Beat (both closed), I have not heard any complaints about food quality. I go to Bar Louie, Yardhouse, Jinbeh, and Alamo all the time, and for being chains, their food is quite good.

Out happy hour group has routinely had to find alternatives during midweek visits as Yardhouse is frequently booked and no decent sized tables available (bar is usually available for singles).

The music venue is outperforming estimates by far... There have been some growing pains. Many venues remain vacant and will probably continue to be until both hotels are up and running. But that isn't some wishful change that only exists on a fancy rendering. Both of those hotels are well underway, and once open, you'll have hundreds of visitors a day with expense accounts that will visit this place.

I realize the news looks bad (that is what Billy Bob wants), but it doesn't define this development. In the end, the failure of Big Beat will make this place better off than it was before.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Jul 2018 10:35

muncien wrote:...I realize the news looks bad (that is what Billy Bob wants), but it doesn't define this development. In the end, the failure of Big Beat will make this place better off than it was before.

After the false start(s?) over the years, it's a just little curious that Billy Bob wanted to be part the deal anyway. Unless the bottom falls out of everything, I have little doubt this place will be a strong and steady destination adding to the overall appeal of Las Colinas. The details are going to linger unfinished for longer than necessary, but the kinks will be worked out.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 11 Jul 2018 12:01

I think the Music Factory is going to be just fine! I will say though, I think part of the future success depends on whom ARK chooses to lease space to. We need quality restaurants! I also think some sort of upscale bowling alley / arcade type place would be great for the development. I know they've been trying to lure someone for years now. I will be curious to see who takes the Big Beat spots. Had Shake Shack not already signed a lease in the area they would have been a fun fit for the Music Factory.

Water Street is looking great and continues to impress! Some have mentioned before that it looks like Go Fish Poke stopped construction. There is actually work still going on inside but at a slow pace. The guys with Olivella's told me that they hope to open in 5-6 weeks. I do think that when Cork & Pig and Hugo's open in the front of the development that activity will start to explode.

muncien

Postby muncien » 11 Jul 2018 12:51

I really look forward to more stuff opening at Water Street. After striking out at El Famosa and that Ice Cream joint... I really haven't had any reason to go there. But the aesthetics of the development look great. Can't wait to get some activity along Lake Carolyn.
And can someone PLEASE get the show on the road for North Shore. I know that land was included as part of Las Colinas' HQ2 proposal, but let's be real here. Plus, that previous proposal should have started construction well before HQ2 was even heard of.
Hopefully, whatever goes in there will be well worth the wait. If it ends up being nothing more than four level multi-family I'm going to hurl.

ignition

Postby ignition » 11 Jul 2018 13:32

I work right in the Urban Towers and I'd say about 15-20% of our floor walks over to the Music Factory for the lunch on a daily basis (maybe 25-30 people). Literally the only complaints I hear are, "it's too damn hot to walk to the Music Factory" (which obviously is because it's summer) and that the service at Thirsty Lion is terrible. I've experienced the latter firsthand.

Other than that, I've had and heard nothing but pleasant experiences at MF venues, both during the workday and in the evenings/weekends.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 11 Jul 2018 13:59

You know I hate seeing companies like Nokia moving from Las Colinas to Cypress Waters. When you talk about North Shore, why can't we attract someone like Nokia to this site and turn it into mixed use with Nokia HDQ, apartments, additional retail / restaurants. There's so much opportunity for North Shore and opportunity keeps passing it by!

On another note, I did confirm with Steve Reed with the City that Phase 2 of Hidden Ridge will be a minimum of 300,000 sq ft. It recently was approved by P&Z. He said there are no renderings and no final plan just yet but they are going through the approval processes. Wonder if it's for a specific tenant? I can't see them building spec over there. Maybe Verizon expansion?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 11 Jul 2018 15:55

Back to Water Street... Looks like Gingerman has executed a lease for about 5100 sq ft of space. They'll be taking over the spot that Londoner originally leased. I guess that'll be a cool addition. Also, looks like The Biscuit Bar is in talks to take over the space formerly leased by Main Street Bakery.

There's probably only about 5K sq ft still available here. Curious if they have any intentions of moving ahead with a Phase 2 or what they might entail. Would still love to see office on that corner with additional ground floor retail.

ignition

Postby ignition » 11 Jul 2018 16:40

Stoked to hear about Gingerman!

R1070

Postby R1070 » 11 Jul 2018 20:12

This area needs a small Target and or grocery store.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 11 Jul 2018 21:07

Nokia moved to Dallas (Cypress Waters) due to a large tax break.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 12 Jul 2018 05:13

R1070 wrote:This area needs a small Target and or grocery store.

I grew up in the area and was always amazed how long it took for Whole Foods to move in.

I believe Central Market with an urban mixed use concept would be an amazing boost to the urban center.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Jul 2018 13:49

Thinking about Cypress Waters and all the success Billingsley is having, why don't we give her the old Texas Stadium site? I mean at this point something along the lines of Cypress Water is probably the best we could hope for at that site. And honestly, I'm pretty impressed with what she's done out there thus far!

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 12 Jul 2018 14:26

Kelley USA wrote:Thinking about Cypress Waters and all the success Billingsley is having, why don't we give her the old Texas Stadium site? I mean at this point something along the lines of Cypress Water is probably the best we could hope for at that site. And honestly, I'm pretty impressed with what she's done out there thus far!

Two things- Schools- it's in the Coppell school district which adds value, and secondly, it sounds like Dallas has been grating pretty sweet tax breaks, which is unusual, as the development will benefit Irving and Coppell far more than Dallas.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Jul 2018 15:31

Cypress Waters might as well be Coppell.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 12 Jul 2018 15:36

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Cypress Waters might as well be Coppell.

Or Irving, but it is actually Dallas.

muncien

Postby muncien » 13 Jul 2018 14:35

Pretty stoked about Gingerman coming to town. That'll be a very frequent stop for me, no doubt.

I'd still like to see another hotel come in as part of phase 2. I remember way back in the day, it was supposed to include a Hotel ZaZa.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 16 Jul 2018 04:21

muncien wrote:Pretty stoked about Gingerman coming to town. That'll be a very frequent stop for me, no doubt.

I'd still like to see another hotel come in as part of phase 2. I remember way back in the day, it was supposed to include a Hotel ZaZa.

Are we talking about Cypress Waters? That whole development in my opinion is the most uninspiring development in DFW of the last 5 years. It is ultimately car-centric (Cotton Belt stop will not even remotely practical for commuters), and is cannabalizing from other developments by offering tax incentives to fill a plot of land that should have been turned in to a park.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 16 Jul 2018 09:18

ContriveDallasite wrote:
muncien wrote:Pretty stoked about Gingerman coming to town. That'll be a very frequent stop for me, no doubt.

Are we talking about Cypress Waters? That whole development in my opinion is the most uninspiring development in DFW of the last 5 years. It is ultimately car-centric (Cotton Belt stop will not even remotely practical for commuters), and is cannabalizing from other developments by offering tax incentives to fill a plot of land that should have been turned in to a park.

I agree about Cypress Waters, but it hasn't had 1/2 its venues go out of business within 60 days of opening either.

muncien

Postby muncien » 24 Jul 2018 09:45

ContriveDallasite wrote:

Sorry... Been out of town. My earlier comment was about Water Street in the Urban Center... Not Cypress Waters. But good pint about the cannibalization. The tilt wall construction in CW can easily undercut any dense office product in the LC Urban Center. But, I think that was Dallas' plan all along.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Jul 2018 11:22

An article that mentions Shake Shack Las Colinas...

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... ckingbird/

muncien

Postby muncien » 25 Jul 2018 11:32

Kelley USA wrote:An article that mentions Shake Shack Las Colinas...

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... ckingbird/

They mention it'll be at "SH 121 & MacArthur". I assume they meant '161'? as 121 is way up in Lewisville. They had me totally confused for a minute there...

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 25 Jul 2018 11:33

It's in the whole foods parking lot. Also Market Street filed permits for the Shops at Las Colinas.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 25 Jul 2018 21:24

Irving's amount of development is impressive and really under the radar.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 26 Jul 2018 09:14

^^ It really is, and to be honest I think it's just getting somewhat started. We still have several additional phases for Hidden Ridge, the big Shops at Las Colinas retail center, the Blue Star Land development at 161 and 114 with the planned Signature Sandman Hotel / Moxie's restaurant, the Sarofim development at the corner of O'Connor and Las Colinas Blvd, Phase 2 of Water Street etc...

Also, this medical office building is breaking ground next week at 161 & Gateway. It'll be one of the few times that UT Southwestern has put offices outside of their large campus.
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... to-be.html

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 31 Jul 2018 09:11

Forgot to mention, but the City approved a 6 month pedicab pilot program for the Urban Center... Not sure if there's a big need for it but could be cool. I guess on concert nights you could park down at Water Street and pedicab it to the Music Factory?? I mean everything is pretty close "as is".

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 31 Jul 2018 10:50

You know, like, since the late 80s, Las Colinas has always seemed, like, almost close... getting there but missing the binding ingredient or something. The Billy Bob fiasco is a thick fog of continued near-misses, paired to the PR campaign from the Frisco $5 Billion Mile and the second incarnation of Legacy makes it all too easy to keep Las Colinas on the shelf with all the other big plans that never quite lived up to the hype. But that perception is our own fault, for some reason we get lulled into thinking Las Colinas - truly a grand scale development, will happen in a decade; so as the third generation approaches, the shiny new is no longer. Perhaps that's the best thing, because I think Las Colinas is finally sneaking up on us, turning into an actual Urban Centre. Pedicab for sure is one of those pieces of flair for the short attention span excursionists. But the novelty of a pedicab ride along the lake is, well, kinda weird, but pretty sweet.

Do the evening trains from Downtown to Las Colinas stop at every station? or is there a station leap-frog deal allowing late night trips to be quicker?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 31 Jul 2018 15:39

All the DART rail trips stop at every station, no special trips or skipping around. The only exceptions are end-of-shift/end-of-day ones on their way to park at one of the DART depots, or the arrangement they have during State Fair/Texas-OU. The only way the light rail is quick is if no one is fumbling around trying to get on or off, or signals are all timed/synced well at cross-streets.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 Aug 2018 10:25

Lodgic Hospitality has finally pulled permits for their new 12 Story Element Hotel... This is where the old Sfuzzi, Table & Tavern, Republic, yada yada yada use to be. From what I remember of the rendering I glanced at it should be a nice addition!

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 03 Aug 2018 10:29

Hopefully a hotel will do better than those doomed restaurants... just a terrible location.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 04 Aug 2018 02:03

Another lawsuit in the legal dust-up over the Music Factory...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/res ... ic-factory

R1070

Postby R1070 » 05 Aug 2018 21:54

Kelley USA wrote:Lodgic Hospitality has finally pulled permits for their new 12 Story Element Hotel... This is where the old Sfuzzi, Table & Tavern, Republic, yada yada yada use to be. From what I remember of the rendering I glanced at it should be a nice addition!

This will be a great location for a hotel.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 06 Aug 2018 08:19

We attended the Erasure concert Friday night and, like most of our other experiences (4 trips to Alamo + 4-5 trips for dinner at other places), we had a great time.

We valet very time just in front of the TCBY and that's always worked well, yeah $10-$20 but easy in and out where we want to go.

During big events, they're definitely short enough restaurants for the demand. However, having enough demand to keep places in business when there isn't an event is probably difficult.

It's a great venue, and as long as they can keep a few restaurants, it'll be a nice place, easy in and out...

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 Aug 2018 09:25

I went to Erasure Friday night too... Great show, definitely brought back some college memories! We tried to get into YardHouse but the wait was an hour and half, so we tried Gloria's and the line was out the door. We ended up at Thirsty Lion and waited about an hour. Even places like Nosh & Bottle were crowded. I think these places are easily making their rent on concert nights and everything else is gravy. They do brisk business before and after the shows!

Also a little parking tip for you.... My friends pulled up to the parking garage and they asked him where he was going. He told them he was going to Gloria's so they just waived him right in. I guess if you're going to a restaurant on concert nights you still get to park for free.

On another note, looks like another apartment complex for the Urban Center is coming before P&Z tonight. It's basically right by the DART Station.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 06 Aug 2018 09:32

Haha... we ate at Thirsty Lion too! Waited about 45 minutes... it was packed.

ignition

Postby ignition » 06 Aug 2018 17:14

Y'all know Thirsty Lion takes reservations via Open Table, right? No wait...

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 06 Aug 2018 17:17

ignition wrote:Y'all know Thirsty Lion takes reservations via Open Table, right? No wait...

Yep, but they were booked.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 08 Aug 2018 16:50

Big Beat Dallas has been leased by a group out of Fort Worth... The owners of Reservoir and Whisky Garden are taking over. I'm not sure about this. I've been to Reservoir a few times and it was quite the "S" show. Nothing special at all, although I will say it is very popular in Fort Worth. I still think the Music Factory would be better served by leasing those spots individually, but I can see that ARK group was probably desperate to sign anyone!! Also some info on the Sambuca concepts...

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... tchen-101/

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 08 Aug 2018 16:57

That is definitely concerning... Both of those are pretty low rent run establishments. They may do something more upscale, but apparently there wasn't a long list of top tier interest to chose from.

muncien

Postby muncien » 08 Aug 2018 17:20

Curious which/how many of the Big Beat venues they will actively occupy. Many of them are distinct spaces that cannot easily be combined. I assume some of them will remain vacant...? I wouldn't be surprised to see that this deal only occupies a portion of what is there, and the rest get leased to someone else (eventually).

Also, I saw yesterday that the whole temporary wall has been brought down where the Sambuca deal is going to be. Glad to see them moving quickly on that.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 08 Aug 2018 18:30

Okay, from the DMN. Does sound like it'll be just 1 concept. Not sure what space they'll take though.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/res ... ace-irving

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Aug 2018 09:29

Important tidbit on the end of the article but am I safe in assuming these two concepts are also going into former Big Beat space?

Two additional concepts, Kitchen 101 and Violet Room by the owner of Sambuca, are also under construction and expected to open by year's-end.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 09 Aug 2018 10:13

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Important tidbit on the end of the article but am I safe in assuming these two concepts are also going into former Big Beat space?

Two additional concepts, Kitchen 101 and Violet Room by the owner of Sambuca, are also under construction and expected to open by year's-end.

Actually they are not... They are being tucked under the Pavilion. So basically under the lawn seating. Should be some pretty cool spaces. Here's the website- you can see how they fit under the Pavilion in the renderings. https://www.rayleighunderground.com/

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 13 Aug 2018 09:21

It looks like Water Street has a trio of new leases in the works... These potential tenants have signed a LOI. Now these mean nothing until they sign an actual lease and I've seen a number of tenants come and go that have signed an LOI. But here's the info....

Yolk- Breakfast / Lunch spot. I know they have locations in Sundance, One Arts Plaza and Preston Center. I believe the company is based out of Chicago

Biscuit Bar- Only have 1 location in Plano at the new Boardwalk development.

Cinnaholic- Cinnamon roll company that was featured on Shark Tank. They have 3 or 4 other locations here locally but have franchised all over the country.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 13 Aug 2018 13:00

Article and rendering for the New 12 Story Element Hotel...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... evelopment

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 16 Aug 2018 11:39

Drove by Water Street yesterday and the sign out in front of Go Fish Poke said "Now Open"... It also looks Olivella's is getting pretty close. Not sure what's going on with Cork & Pig. The place has basically looked the same for 3 weeks now and as far as I know they haven't even started hiring. Hugo's Invitados sounds like it could be promising. I did a little digging around. The guy that's opening it was the former Executive General Manager for Meso Maya and also held the position of Director for Emerging Brands at Firebird Restaurant Group (Meso Maya, Snuffers, El Fenix, La Ventana, Village Burger Bar). If we get anything resembling a Meso Maya I'd be thrilled with that! I have noticed they've been in and out painting and re-painting and painting again for the past 2 weeks, so who knows!

The Texican Court Hotel continues to come together. It's looking really good IMO! I can't wait to see it finished with all the landscaping, the arched entrance and the big fountain in front. Also, the restaurant concept for the Texican is going to a Mexican restaurant called Two Mules Cantina (described as Old Mexico charm in taste and atmosphere). Looks like there's also going to be a tequila bar and live music on weekends. Looks like the hotel will have a number of fireplaces and fire-pits.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 16 Aug 2018 12:12

Las Colinas needs a good museum.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 16 Aug 2018 12:28

tamtagon wrote:Las Colinas needs a good museum.

I would argue it needs a better public school district first, instead of CFB.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 16 Aug 2018 14:07

TXGunLover wrote:
tamtagon wrote:Las Colinas needs a good museum.

I would argue it needs a better public school district first, instead of CFB.

I am a product of the CFB school system - compared to the alternative of Irving ISD, I do not know what your complaint is. I grew up in the Hackberry area and had friends living less than a mile apart who were in the Coppell ISD and Irving ISD, I would agree that it would be more rational if the school zone boundaries were more rationally drawn as to actually reflect the geography of the neighborhood.