Texas Live!

Tnexster

Texas Live!

Postby Tnexster » 23 Oct 2016 22:02

Not sure I would have ever believed this one would actually get started but it appears it is.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/arlingto ... -life-park

After more than two decades of thwarted optimism, construction is finally scheduled to start on a major commercial development next to the Texas Rangers ballpark.

Work on the $250 million Texas Live! — featuring restaurants, sports bars, a hotel and convention space — is set to begin next week. Other more ambitious developments have been proposed since at least 2000, but each one failed. None made it this far.

"This announcement marks an important milestone for the city of Arlington, Texas Live! and its development team," Mayor Jeff Williams said in a written statement. "The Texas Rangers and The Cordish Companies are delivering exactly as announced last month in their ongoing commitment to bringing a world-class, sports-anchored destination to Arlington in 2018."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Texas Live!

Postby tamtagon » 24 Oct 2016 10:15

I hope it works! Improving the tourist capacity in Arlington is good for the region; would be nice to see Grand Prairie get more into the mix of it all, taking a Grapevine route to entertainment destinations... superfund clean-up of Mountain Creek Lake and there's some super-sweet potential. Solidifying the stadiums with Texas Live! could do a lot to expand possibilities.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Nov 2016 15:53

North Texas craft brewery joins tenants at Texas Live! development

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... texas.html

“The Revolver Brewing family is proud to be a part of such an amazing entertainment project,” said Rhett Keisler, Revolver’s co-founder. “Our brand is inspired by great ingredients, as well as great music, and is a perfect fit for Texas Live! … We look forward to crafting unique beers for the project.”

No other details were immediately released about the brewery.

Revolver joins several other food and beverage options at Texas Live! Last week, celebrity chef and TV personality Guy Fieri announced he is building a flagship restaurant inside the development.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Dec 2016 13:45

Drove by today, the area is fenced off and it would appear they are starting to tear up the parking lot although nobody was working today. Also, signs are up on the fence.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Mar 2017 11:06

Texas Rangers, Cordish Cos. to get Texas Live! underway in Arlington

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... -live.html

Construction is already underway on the $250 million phase near the two stadiums, AT&T Stadium and Globe Life Park in Arlington, since last fall. This will mark the official start of the project.

At completion, the initial phase of Texas Live! will bring 200,000 square feet of dining and entertainment space, a 5,000-person capacity outdoor event pavilion, a full-service, 300-room convention hotel and a 35,000-square-foot meeting facility.

This part of the project is slated for completion next year, with the eateries and shops opening in spring 2018 and the hotel and convention space opening later in the fall.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 Mar 2017 11:47

Very encouraging that these long lost ideas are finally taking hold!

I sure would prefer the growth of in-fill in-between entertainment expansion within Arlington's stadiums, amusement parks and University coordinated with pervasive passenger rail access to the rest of North Texas, but strengthening the appeal of this unique destination across the South Central US is still primary.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Mar 2017 11:57

The only thing missing is residential, they need to repurpose some of those parking lots.

muncien

Postby muncien » 24 Mar 2017 12:01

They better incorporate landing pads for those self flying, personal mobility Uber dealios, because there is no way I'm dealing with that traffic mess. The last two times I went to events (pre-season Cowboy's, and mid week Rangers game) it was complete hell and I vowed never to do it again. Best luck to them though...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 Mar 2017 12:15

^It'd be neat to think Arlington leaders and residents would acknowledge the Plano/Frisco stirrings over the impending debilitating traffic nightmare in that community, and plan accordingly.... hahahaha

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Mar 2017 13:17

muncien wrote:They better incorporate landing pads for those self flying, personal mobility Uber dealios, because there is no way I'm dealing with that traffic mess. The last two times I went to events (pre-season Cowboy's, and mid week Rangers game) it was complete hell and I vowed never to do it again. Best luck to them though...

It's a mess over there, they are considering some self driving people movers to get people from stadiums to their cars but that probably doesn't help.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 24 Mar 2017 13:29

Tnexster wrote:
muncien wrote:They better incorporate landing pads for those self flying, personal mobility Uber dealios, because there is no way I'm dealing with that traffic mess. The last two times I went to events (pre-season Cowboy's, and mid week Rangers game) it was complete hell and I vowed never to do it again. Best luck to them though...

It's a mess over there, they are considering some self driving people movers to get people from stadiums to their cars but that probably doesn't help.

I loved that recent DMN article where they were like "Arlington will have transit over my dead body.. but hey, wouldn't self-driving people-movers (aka crappier buses) sure be neato?"

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Mar 2017 13:39

I saw the demo, it is interesting technology and I applaud them for trying something new but it won't fix much. They will be a nice attraction, that is true.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 24 Mar 2017 14:02

Tnexster wrote:I saw the demo, it is interesting technology and I applaud them for trying something new but it won't fix much. They will be a nice attraction, that is true.

Sure, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. But it's just so ridiculous to see them promoting it as a solution right after being so adamantly against public transportation.

It's like.. so the real problem you have with buses is the drivers? And you're willing to take a flier on untested tech (slower, lower capacity, and more likely to break down) in order to avoid them? Lol Arlington.

muncien

Postby muncien » 27 Mar 2017 09:35

I know a lot of people on here are bus fans, and I don't mean to start anything here, but buses are terrible. It's like the worse of all worlds...
You have the excessive wait times associated with mass transit, but once you get on your ride your stuck in the same traffic as everybody who is driving. Just to make it worse, your isolated into one lane, stop every two hundred feet, and if you have a connection to make, it seems DART is determined to miss that connection. I'm sorry, but I can't stand it.
I know how much I hate it, but I tried again yesterday and it took me an hour and forty minutes to get to downtown, and that didn't include the time waiting to get on the first bus. It was dreadful. I was trying to take my son to the auto-show, but by the time we got there we were so demoralized that we just went to KWP and I grabbed a beer.
I'd say that less than 1% of that misery has anything to do with the fact that a carbon based being was driving. It almost certainly would be equally miserable with Hal at the controls... stuck in the same traffic, and so on.
Anyway, I don't know what Arlington is thinking... Sorry for venting.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 27 Mar 2017 11:42

muncien wrote:You have the excessive wait times associated with mass transit, but once you get on your ride your stuck in the same traffic as everybody who is driving. Just to make it worse, your isolated into one lane, stop every two hundred feet, and if you have a connection to make, it seems DART is determined to miss that connection. I'm sorry, but I can't stand it.

None of these traits are inherent to buses. Just a crappy transit agency/system.

Increased frequencies, bus lanes, and rational stop spacing will fix all of those problems. It's not that complicated. That said, apart from aesthetics, even with those problems they're better than the streetcars that everyone is so enamored with.

In a place like Dallas, where driving and parking is so easy most of the time, it probably makes sense to drive to most places that're not within walking/biking distance. The one clear exception is when going to large, centralized events like baseball or football games (especially where people will be drinking!), which makes Arlington's refusal to consider accommodating that particularly baffling.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 27 Mar 2017 11:47

A bus network highlighting the University, Stadiums and Amusement parks makes perfect sense as long as you can get into this network by train... from the airport, from Fort Worth, from Dallas, from Denton and from Plano/Frisco.

mwaskow

Postby mwaskow » 27 Mar 2017 22:03

tanzoak wrote:
muncien wrote:You have the excessive wait times associated with mass transit, but once you get on your ride your stuck in the same traffic as everybody who is driving. Just to make it worse, your isolated into one lane, stop every two hundred feet, and if you have a connection to make, it seems DART is determined to miss that connection. I'm sorry, but I can't stand it.

None of these traits are inherent to buses. Just a crappy transit agency/system.

Increased frequencies, bus lanes, and rational stop spacing will fix all of those problems. It's not that complicated. That said, apart from aesthetics, even with those problems they're better than the streetcars that everyone is so enamored with.

In a place like Dallas, where driving and parking is so easy most of the time, it probably makes sense to drive to most places that're not within walking/biking distance. The one clear exception is when going to large, centralized events like baseball or football games (especially where people will be drinking!), which makes Arlington's refusal to consider accommodating that particularly baffling.

Have you ever tried parking on Lower Greenville or Uptown on a weekend? Parking is most definitely NOT easy. It's so bad I deter from going at times living in Valley Ranch. They need to have DART rail access to the stadiums. It's a no brainer. What are they smoking?!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Mar 2017 15:06

Texas Rangers ballpark 'a gem' in $4B Texas Live! project, developer says

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... -live.html

Does residential development help or hurt entertainment districts? It’s great because people can not only walk to the games, but walk to the plaza. Residential is not part of our initial phase, but that’s one of the great things about this project. The Rangers have some real land — a couple hundred acres — that will be built out over years. In some of these urban projects we have done, you only have what you have. This will be special in that way.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 28 Mar 2017 21:31

Have you ever tried parking on Lower Greenville or Uptown on a weekend? Parking is most definitely NOT easy.

In my opinion it's gotten easier to park on Lower Greenville since the bar days of the early 2000s and harder in Uptown, but only on weekend nights. I wouldn't call parking at the baseball or football stadiums 'difficult', it's just 'expensive'. I would call the drive to get there difficult, and usually not worth the effort.

BTW, the answer to the question "Does residential development help or hurt entertainment districts? " based on awesome neighborhoods with stadiums is an obvious 'help'.

And sorry but LOL at this paragraph "Texas Live! didn't take too long to put together with good chemistry from the get-go between Cordish Cos. chairman and CEO David Cordish and Rangers co-owner Ray Davis. The two men — both in their 70s — know a thing or two about good entertainment destinations." The Ranger stadium is 20 years old right? And there were always plans like this for Cowboys Stadium as well, which is not exactly new.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 May 2017 11:27

They are finally moving dirt here.

Loews, Texas Rangers announce 'flagship' hotel for Texas Live

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/hot ... texas-live

Loews Hotels & Co., The Cordish Companies, and the Texas Rangers Thursday announced plans for a $150 million flagship hotel and convention center in the Texas Live development called Live! by Loews - Arlington, TX.

The 302- room hotel will be one of the most dominant features of Texas Live!, the $250 million dining, entertainment and hospitality destination being developed in partnership with The Cordish Companies, Texas Rangers and City of Arlington.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 May 2017 12:28

Glory Days...

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 May 2017 14:27

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 04 May 2017 14:36

So the hotel for the middle of the North Texas sports Mecca is slightly better than the one announced for mostly suburban Craig Ranch? Come on Arlington, work a little harder.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 May 2017 15:54

Loews once managed the Anatole way back in the day....didn't they?

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 04 May 2017 16:01

Tnexster wrote:Loews once managed the Anatole way back in the day....didn't they?

Yes they did.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 May 2017 08:48

Can we just call it "Try Hard Hotel" instead? Live Hotel is just odd. Oh, maybe Homerun Hotel, Victory Hotel, Touchdown Hotel or No Transit Hotel?
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 08 May 2017 11:07

Live Hotel is just odd

Especially since "live" can be pronounced two different ways, so there will be Monty Python-esque confusion about it. "You live in the Live Hotel? What? I thought you were just visiting."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 May 2017 16:04

I guess it's better than the Dead Hotel...

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 May 2017 16:23

Drove by today, lots of dirt moving now and a hole is starting to appear.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 May 2017 18:36

Lowes is a good brand

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 10 May 2018 04:57

Former Dallas Cowboy Troy Aikman is working on a new bar/restaurant called Troy's. It will include a patio, beer garden, and live music area, and be 10,000 square feet in size. Opening is set for late August or early September.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... -live.html

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 28 May 2018 19:58

D has this about what will locate at the replacement ballpark. A food hall with local restaurants and a bar that will be speakeasy-style will be included there.

https://www.dmagazine.com/business-econ ... s/?ref=mpw

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 29 May 2018 08:46

jrd1964 wrote:D has this about what will locate at the replacement ballpark. A food hall with local restaurants and a bar that will be speakeasy-style will be included there.

https://www.dmagazine.com/business-econ ... s/?ref=mpw

Ah, that all-too-familiar tingling of my snark alarm. Here is a golden passage from that article/press release:

Globe Life Field will have an apothecary- and speakeasy-inspired bar. HKS and Delaware North, the stadium’s food service management firm, worked to create food and drink menus, waitstaff uniforms, and decor to be reminiscent of dinner theater. “We’re creating almost like chemically produced cocktails, like you’re in a science lab with beakers and folks in lab coats,” Fulvio says. The Rangers Executive Vice President of Business Operations Rob Matwick is testing out a couple names for the bar that could be a nod to Arlington’s history.

Of the many, many gems that are ripe for mining in there, I'll focus on the final sentence. I've got a few ideas for names with a nod to Arlington's history:

Nobus
Bond
Big Yellow Taxi
PSL
Union Aioli Social Bacon Craft Hall Cliche

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 21 Jun 2018 15:44

August 9-12 are the dates set for Texas Live!'s grand opening, although the Live! by Loews hotel won't be ready until 2019.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/res ... -arlington

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jun 2018 09:03

So we kind of have three phases to this larger project. 1. Texas Live! 2. Live! Hotel 3. Rangers Stadium.

Have they announced a new name sponsor for the new stadium yet? Will it become the Toyota or GM I doubt AT&T but maybe Warner Media stadium?

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 22 Jun 2018 10:04

cowboyeagle05 wrote:So we kind of have three phases to this larger project. 1. Texas Live! 2. Live! Hotel 3. Rangers Stadium.

Have they announced a new name sponsor for the new stadium yet? Will it become the Toyota or GM I doubt AT&T but maybe Warner Media stadium?

I thought it was still going to be Globe Life Park, but could be wrong.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jun 2018 11:18

That's what I am curious about. I assume they would want to make sure they get a lot more money for the new stadium rights so it could still be the case either way.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 22 Jun 2018 11:46

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_Life_Field

Globe Life Field is a baseball park under construction in Arlington, Texas. It will serve as the home of the Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball.[8] Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company, a subsidiary of McKinney, Texas-based Torchmark Corporation, owns the naming rights for the facility through 2048.[9] The new ballpark is going to be constructed across the street just south of Globe Life Park.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jun 2018 13:59

Good find!

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 28 Jun 2018 11:20

Another restaurant will locate in the development; this one will be Pudge's Pizza, for, yes, Ranger hall-of-famer Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez. It will open August 9.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/ml ... 50974.html

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 20 Jul 2018 01:25

More renderings made available this week.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Rang ... B_DFWBrand

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 20 Jul 2018 08:53

jrd1964 wrote:More renderings made available this week.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Rang ... B_DFWBrand

I just can't ever buy it when the renderings have a massive, massive patch of concrete with the idea of "hey, everyone is just going to mill around out here". Seems very Victory Park-y, and we've seen how that's performed in the absence of any kind of non-game/event population.

Also, I enjoy the placement of the video board in front of "Arlington Ba___ard". Insert any letters you like! Maybe a "lly", maybe "st", go crazy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 20 Jul 2018 09:22

I like how the primary complaint about the old Rangers stadium is that it was hot in the summer, so they throw down unshaded concrete right outside the doors where people are supposed to hang out. That does look exactly like Victory Park.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 20 Jul 2018 11:52

The_Overdog wrote:I like how the primary complaint about the old Rangers stadium is that it was hot in the summer, so they throw down unshaded concrete right outside the doors where people are supposed to hang out. That does look exactly like Victory Park.

It's almost as if this whole new stadium business is one giant boondoggle :lol:

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Jul 2018 12:11

So most likely the giant fountain will be drained in the summer to conserve water. Also, I would like to point out they are promoting one side of the stadium. They probably don't intend to develop all around the stadium and integrate it into an overall larger density play. At least Victory Park and AA center have that going for it, then again AA center is smaller and more easily integrated into a larger area development project. A stadium like this will always be about surrounding it with some mega parking lots and a few gimmick restaurants to try to catch the before the game crowd.

ignition

Postby ignition » 20 Jul 2018 14:37

Ah, good ol' Arlington Bastard. Nice!

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 20 Jul 2018 16:21

Concrete maintenance is way cheaper than lawn maintenance. Plus that rendering makes the fountain look like one of those fountains in plazas that kids run through like Sundance Square.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Jul 2018 19:09

That is an enormous unshaded plaza area, I'm a little surprised they didn't try to do something to shade even a little bit of that area. They could have put up a giant louver not unlike what surrounds The Winspear. I guess that costs too much.

muncien

Postby muncien » 24 Jul 2018 10:30

flyswatter wrote:Concrete maintenance is way cheaper than lawn maintenance. Plus that rendering makes the fountain look like one of those fountains in plazas that kids run through like Sundance Square.

Quite similar, yes...
Curious... Has the fountain in front of American Airlines Center EVER been on?

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 24 Jul 2018 12:21

What fountain