West Dallas: Trinity Groves

ContriveDallasite

Re: West Dallas: Trinity Groves

Postby ContriveDallasite » 17 Jul 2018 10:12

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:New Hotel is a go at Trinity Groves.

They mention the possibility of adding a rail component to the project. Interesting

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Hotel ... 27621.html

Those renderings look out of place and ridiculous. 9mm SQFT plus planned commuter rail station? I am all for shooting sky high, but in this neighborhood I really think we should stay midrise. Let's fill out those surface lots downtown before we start thinking about 40 stories in Trinity Groves.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 17 Jul 2018 10:37

They mention the possibility of adding a rail component to the project. Interesting

I can’t imagine seeing buildings that tall in West Dallas. It seems like a very aggressive plan. I agree with ContriveDallasite, I’d rather see Downtown fully develop too. I believe the more we start to focus on other areas before Downtown, it’s going to compete with it way too early. Our Downtown needs to be very strong and vibrant so other developments don’t stifle its growth. Downtown is still in its maturing phase. Let’s focus on the center first and get it to the point where new developments complement Downtown. So, that West Dallas doesn’t become (and other locations) a “better alternative” to Downtown. Gotta make the core strong first!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jul 2018 10:40

ContriveDallasite wrote:

Those renderings look out of place and ridiculous. 9mm SQFT plus planned commuter rail station? I am all for shooting sky high, but in this neighborhood I really think we should stay midrise. Let's fill out those surface lots downtown before we start thinking about 40 stories in Trinity Groves.

This does look insanely ambitious and unrealistic, but I am also glad they are thinking big with this particular plot of land since it fronts the Trinity River. I would like to see most of West Dallas fill out with mid-rises, however, I would like to see something like what is proposed along the Trinity.

With that said, I'm extremely skeptical this will happen anytime soon (if at all).

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 17 Jul 2018 11:17

Let's drink a little of the Kool Aid and assume that all of this gets built according to plan. Does anyone think a development of that magnitude would give the city the kick in the tail it needs to finally get things rolling on the Trinity Park? It seems like all this investment is done with the mind of having a "world class" amenity within walking distance.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jul 2018 11:27

exelone31 wrote:Let's drink a little of the Kool Aid and assume that all of this gets built according to plan. Does anyone think a development of that magnitude would give the city the kick in the tail it needs to finally get things rolling on the Trinity Park? It seems like all this investment is done with the mind of having a "world class" amenity within walking distance.

Absolutely. Maybe I'm giving Dallas too much credit here, but a part of me thinks that this is their plan and this is why they have been dragging their feet on the park recently. Maybe they want the surrounding plots of land in West Dallas and the Design District to develop and, hopefully, some private funds will help get this park going.

EDIT: This also applies to Turtle Creek in the Design District. There's a reason Virgin decided to locate themselves right next to the creek, and I think it's only a matter of time before it's transformed into something greater.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 Jul 2018 12:34

The only way there will be high-rises in Trinity Groves is in the extremely unlikely scenario that they get HQ2. After Cypress Phase 2 and this hotel are done, I wouldn't be surprised if demand takes a long time to catch up.

Cypress Phase 1 may be full per that story, but Trinity Green has a ton of units under construction and I'd rather see these two areas blend together before something like Skyhouse Trinity Groves breaks ground.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Jul 2018 13:34

dallaz wrote:

I can’t imagine seeing buildings that tall in West Dallas. It seems like a very aggressive plan. I agree with ContriveDallasite, I’d rather see Downtown fully develop too. I believe the more we start to focus on other areas before Downtown, it’s going to compete with it way too early. Our Downtown needs to be very strong and vibrant so other developments don’t stifle its growth. Downtown is still in its maturing phase. Let’s focus on the center first and get it to the point where new developments complement Downtown. So, that West Dallas doesn’t become (and other locations) a “better alternative” to Downtown. Gotta make the core strong first!

Development goes where the investment money goes and where people want to be. Downtown has been growing because Uptown has lifted it out of the shadows. Deep Ellum has become an opportunity because Uptown has become pricey and one developer finally was able to purchase most of the core of Deep Ellum from a long list of smaller owners unifying redevelopment efforts.

Developers go where they can buy cheap land and see potential demand growth if they make it attractive along with if they can wrangle some incentives from the city. Downtown will flourish with more surrounding inner-city neighborhoods are feeding it. The CBD is not the center of Dallas it is the bottom edge of renewed economic activity and needs things like Trinity Groves to create energy and traffic. Surround the CBD with more flourishing neighborhoods of activity and energy and the CBD will rise like the phoenix. The success of West Dallas, Oak Cliff, Design District, Uptown, Victory, Cedars, Deep Ellum, Riverfront, Southside etc will be the CBD seeing rising investment interest from being at the center of it all.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jul 2018 14:17

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Developers go where they can buy cheap land and see potential demand growth if they make it attractive along with if they can wrangle some incentives from the city. Downtown will flourish with more surrounding inner-city neighborhoods are feeding it. The CBD is not the center of Dallas it is the bottom edge of renewed economic activity and needs things like Trinity Groves to create energy and traffic. Surround the CBD with more flourishing neighborhoods of activity and energy and the CBD will rise like the phoenix. The success of West Dallas, Oak Cliff, Design District, Uptown, Victory, Cedars, Deep Ellum, Riverfront, Southside etc will be the CBD seeing rising investment interest from being at the center of it all.

Yep, that's exactly how I see it as well. These areas are not competing with each other, they are complementing each other. In the end, the CBD will be the big winner, because it will be the center of the urban core.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 17 Jul 2018 15:33

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
dallaz wrote:

Development goes where the investment money goes and where people want to be. Downtown has been growing because Uptown has lifted it out of the shadows. Deep Ellum has become an opportunity because Uptown has become pricey and one developer finally was able to purchase most of the core of Deep Ellum from a long list of smaller owners unifying redevelopment efforts.

Developers go where they can buy cheap land and see potential demand growth if they make it attractive along with if they can wrangle some incentives from the city. Downtown will flourish with more surrounding inner-city neighborhoods are feeding it. The CBD is not the center of Dallas it is the bottom edge of renewed economic activity and needs things like Trinity Groves to create energy and traffic. Surround the CBD with more flourishing neighborhoods of activity and energy and the CBD will rise like the phoenix. The success of West Dallas, Oak Cliff, Design District, Uptown, Victory, Cedars, Deep Ellum, Riverfront, Southside etc will be the CBD seeing rising investment interest from being at the center of it all.

That’s an interesting take on it. Only time will tell if that’s the case...

Hopefully, it is.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jul 2018 15:48

I'd say that theory has already been proven. Uptown started the revitalization, and that has spilled over into other parts of the urban core.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 Jul 2018 16:37

DPatel304 wrote:I'd say that theory has already been proven. Uptown started the revitalization, and that has spilled over into other parts of the urban core.

... helped along by hundreds of millions of dollars of subsidies.

willyk

Postby willyk » 17 Jul 2018 22:21

Mr. Contrarian/Wet Blanket here. This is froth froth froth. If this thing gets funding then the time has come to sell sell sell.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 18 Jul 2018 02:21

willyk wrote:Mr. Contrarian/Wet Blanket here. This is froth froth froth. If this thing gets funding then the time has come to sell sell sell.

When a development in Dallas starts looking like Sheikh Zayed road in Dubai, that's when it's a little too much.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Jul 2018 08:23

Not to mention Downtown Dallas has had millions of incentives available for decades and it goes as fast as demand seems to push it. Trinity Groves only recently was added to the Victory Park tif but developers are seeing more opportunity there for a number of reasons and overall its good for the future of the CBD. There is no money attached to train line to Trinity Groves and DART has no plans to go there in the next 10-30yrs minimum. It's an empty promise other than if some big player like Amazon says we want to be there then Dallas and DART will jump on finding money along with the RTC and NCTCOG.

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 21 Jul 2018 05:11

incentives and subsidies are the name of the game for major developments. Toyota didn't move to Plano out of the goodness of their hearts.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 21 Jul 2018 07:19

People used to be skeptical about Uptown. Now there's plans to demolish the first apartments and replace them with something bigger and better. Trinity Groves will match the renderings in the same way the Victory Park matched the it's renderings, I don't that West Dallas can support the bad-assed Trinity Groves vision.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Jul 2018 12:18

Dallas' pool of highly educated residents stacks up favorably for Amazon's HQ2

For those that can see, a nice render of TG with Amazon in place.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ks-up.html

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 12 Jan 2019 04:25

Trinity Grove phase 2 apartments

Trinity Groves Apartments by Thymant, on Flickr

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Jan 2019 14:03

Thymant wrote:Trinity Grove phase 2 apartments

Where exactly is this off of Singleton? Did they ever get retail across the restaurant strip?

The new apartments on Fort Worth ave. Near Sylvan 30 have empty retail. I hope new retail can thrive in the area.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 14 Jan 2019 08:14

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Thymant wrote:Trinity Grove phase 2 apartments

Where exactly is this off of Singleton? Did they ever get retail across the restaurant strip?

The new apartments on Fort Worth ave. Near Sylvan 30 have empty retail. I hope new retail can thrive in the area.

This is immediately west of the Cypress at Trinity Groves, on Singleton and Bataan. The retail spaces at Cypress have been filling up with a bank, barbershop, bakery and brewery. Not sure about the other businesses there.

After this one is complete, it should be interesting to see what happens with the Atlas Metal Works property since it's a massive opportunity to connect Trinity Groves and Trinity Green.

HarryMoto

Postby HarryMoto » 14 Jan 2019 20:44

That Atlas Metal Works site is a prime corner spot for a cool mixed-use project. Back in the day, before the bridge when there was no development along Singleton, I thought it would make for some sort of music/art makeover, like what would eventually happen with The Bomb Factory. But it's probably way more dilapidated than the Bomb Factory ever was and the land is too valuable. Can't wait to see what happens to that lot though.

Within the decade, Singleton from the bridge to Hampton is going to be unrecognizable. (And will someone do something with the Clyde family gas station or will it fall to the bulldozer?)

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 14 Jan 2019 23:12

HarryMoto wrote:That Atlas Metal Works ... I thought it would make for some sort of music/art makeover, like what would eventually happen with The Bomb Factory.

that would be great!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 Jan 2019 20:41

HarryMoto wrote:That Atlas Metal Works site is a prime corner spot for a cool mixed-use project. Back in the day, before the bridge when there was no development along Singleton, I thought it would make for some sort of music/art makeover, like what would eventually happen with The Bomb Factory. But it's probably way more dilapidated than the Bomb Factory ever was and the land is too valuable. Can't wait to see what happens to that lot though.

Within the decade, Singleton from the bridge to Hampton is going to be unrecognizable. (And will someone do something with the Clyde family gas station or will it fall to the bulldozer?)

Already seems that way to me, every time I come out of downtown into TG I almost can't believe how much has gone up and how Singleton has become a mid rise haven. Seems to stretch on further all the time. Too bad there isn't a streetcar that runs along Singleton.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Mar 2019 21:37

3-acre site near Trinity Groves in West Dallas sells to urban housing builder

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... llas-tract

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Mar 2019 10:00

Tnexster wrote:3-acre site near Trinity Groves in West Dallas sells to urban housing builder

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... llas-tract

This one's exciting to me because it fills part of the huge gap between Trinity Green and Trinity Groves. The story isn't very specific about its location but based on the photo I was able to identify it as the SE corner of Singleton and Sylvan, across from Atlas Metalworks.

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 9.58.22 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Mar 2019 11:24

This is across the street from that CVS? This would be a significant addition to the area, bit by bit old West Dallas is disappearing.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Sep 2020 18:37

Trinity Groves development team readies more apartments, first hotel and office project
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... lding.html

I don't have access to the article so I can't read it, but here it is for anyone else to read. The renderings for the Trinity Groves masterplan look very ambitious, IMO.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Sep 2020 22:35

While COVID-19 has impacted many proposed developments in North Texas, it has done little to change the ambitious master plan for Trinity Groves. In fact, additional portions of the West Dallas development could break ground by the end of the year.

First to go vertical would be 366 new apartment units along Singleton Boulevard. Designs are already finished and plans have been submitted to the city for permitting, said Jim Reynolds, development partner at Trinity Groves and West Dallas Investments, the company that owns Trinity Groves.

Reynolds says once he and his development partners feel more comfortable about everything related to COVID-19, an official groundbreaking date will be set. The 80-acre development is already home to two apartment complexes that were built as part of a joint venture between West Dallas Investments and Dallas-based Columbus Realty Partners.

Reynolds is also hopeful that the development's first hotel and office building may not be too far behind. In early 2017, Reynolds detailed plans for a 16-story, 223-room Autograph Collection hotel and a five-story, 200,000-square-foot office building at Trinity Groves. The Marriott-branded hotel would be located at the corner of Singleton Boulevard and Amonette Street, where an abandoned concrete plant currently sits. The project is ready to go but is awaiting a joint venture partner to go vertical, said Reynolds.

The office building, which would be located at the northwest corner of Singleton Boulevard and Herbert Street, is also awaiting a joint venture partner to get started. Reynolds says the project will now be closer to 300,000 square feet and would be the first mass timber office building in Dallas.

"We're not built to do this much vertical construction, that’s why we’re looking for partners. We could have started some of the office by now, but again, we like to find partners who understand our vision," said Reynolds.

Whether the office building breaks ground as speculative would be determined together with the project's joint venture partner. West Dallas Investments has already been in discussions with a number of developers to partner on various aspects of its 9 million-square-foot master plan at Trinity Groves.

"We like the master plan and the mix of uses we have planned here. COVID isn’t changing our minds about that. We have the right mix of medium density residential and we feel good about the future of Dallas's office market. COVID hasn’t changed our minds whatsoever," he said. "If anything, it’s let our potential joint venture partners take a breath and have the bandwidth to take a deeper dive and understand these opportunities."

West Dallas Investments owns about 56 acres of undeveloped land in the area and new renderings released to the Business Journal show the true scale of what the group hopes to do at Trinity Groves. Despite numerous inquiries, the group does not plan to sell any of its land.

"People have wanted to buy sites or land from us and it's not even a discussion. We're not selling land out here," Reynolds said.

While the master plan has not changed, things have shifted a bit at the restaurant portion of Trinity Groves. Previously, Trinity Groves operated incubator partnerships between itself and restaurateurs where ownership was split 50/50. Though it is not going away from the incubator concept, the Trinity Groves ownership group now plans on incubating its own concepts while maintaining 100 percent ownership of each business.

"It puts us in a better financial situation," said Reynolds. "We're looking forward to creating new concepts, new buzz and another reason to visit Trinity Groves."

Since the start of the year, a handful of concepts have closed at Trinity Groves, both temporarily or permanently. Within the last four months, Trinity Groves partner Phil Romano has opened two new concepts, Sum Dang Good Chinese and Holy Crust. Reynolds expects more new concepts to open by the end of the year.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Sep 2020 22:39

Rendering
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Sep 2020 22:41

Also Sum Dang Good Chinese as a name ... Is so cringe. Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if Chinese Americans got offended by it.

willyk

Postby willyk » 09 Sep 2020 04:53

Is “looking for a joint venture partner” a sign of progress or a sign of slack demand?

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 09 Sep 2020 10:51

This area all the way over to Bishop Arts could become our "Brooklyn" someday across the river.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Sep 2020 11:13

Cbdallas wrote:This area all the way over to Bishop Arts could become our "Brooklyn" someday across the river.

I definitely agree, I just feel like most of the dense/tall development is going to mostly remain on the CBD side of the river for quite some time.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Sep 2020 16:56

That rendering looks the same as the previous one promising tall towers. The article reads like a puff piece basically trying to get investors interested. We are ready just give us your money we will spend it.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Sep 2020 14:08

Why mass timber could be the future of office development in North Texas

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... story.html

During a recent conversation with Jim Reynolds, development partner at Trinity Groves and West Dallas Investments, it was revealed that the developer is planning to build Dallas's first mass timber office building within the 80-acre mixed-use development.

Dallas' first mass timber office building at Trinity Groves is currently planned to be around five stories and 300,000 square feet. However, future building codes would allow it to be taller. The International Code Council, an influential advisory group in Washington, recently approved changes to the 2021 editions of the International Building Code and International Fire Code, allowing for mass timber buildings to be built as tall as 18 stories, more than twice the current permissible height. These code changes will go into effect next year.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 02 Nov 2020 10:00

Proposed tower would be the tallest in West Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... st-dallas/

“The request seeks to develop the site with a 400-foot tower office use with a maximum floor area of 650,000 square feet, and mixed uses to include an institutional and community service use consisting of a community memorial plaza, office uses, a financial institution without drive-in window, a commercial parking lot or garage, general merchandise or food store 3,500 square feet or less, a general merchandise or food store greater than 3,500 square feet, and personal service uses excluding tattoo or body piercing studio or massage establishment,” according to the filing with the city plan commission.

The project would also include a small “West Dallas Veterans Memorial Plaza” on Gulden Lane at Canada Drive.

eburress

Postby eburress » 02 Nov 2020 10:13

There are a lot of proposals flying around right now, and while they all can't possibly happen (right??), I sure hope this one happens too! There's such momentum in this area, which is great for the whole city!

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 02 Nov 2020 10:30

I'm sick of proposals no offense. I get excited when the dirt starts flying.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 02 Nov 2020 15:58

If we could get just one tower built on this side of the river I really think it would ignite several more both residential and office over the long run. Imagine what a difference it would make to have some height along this side to balance some of the other side.

eburress

Postby eburress » 02 Nov 2020 16:48

It would be tremendous!

R1070

Postby R1070 » 02 Nov 2020 17:32

While this is nice. I want to see more of this type of infill in Downtown first.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 03 Nov 2020 08:32

I'm telling you, when the masks come off, this town is going to explode with growth like we've never seen before.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 03 Nov 2020 10:25

texasstar wrote:I'm telling you, when the masks come off, this town is going to explode with growth like we've never seen before.

I'm inclined to agree with you - perhaps out of sheer optimism - but what in particular makes you say this?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Nov 2020 11:06

I have been around long enough now to have seen these kinds of mega proposals come and go many times. Renderings like what we saw announced for the North End apartments site or the Wood Partners Field Street proposal or even the old XEROX site are a dime a dozen. Talk to Spire Realty or Hillwood's Victory Park the first proposal that fell apart long before they got to some of the bigger and better stuff. Dig further back and see Bank of America tower part two or Fountain Place second tower or Cityplace Towers larger project which was also a mega mixed use proposal that was to dominate both sides of HWY 75. We eventually got the West Village but it looked like nothing what was previously proposed beyond the first building. There are plenty of things that have been built but a lot more that hasn't.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 03 Nov 2020 12:57

Oh boy and some were upset at the Moderna apartments killing their view...

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Nov 2020 16:15

Believe me I've already seen the upset on the Reform Dallas Facebook page. The question is do people who live in the single family neighborhoods here have the same influence as the those people in Highland Park that fight every high rise proposed for Knox Henderson.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 04 Nov 2020 08:36

Who are these people? The only thing in this area is light industrial or apartments. Kessler Park is on the other side of 30 and this building wouldn't impede their views (if they have one). The area I would think could see complaints is where the old DCS bus depot area is. That would be a great area for towers but I'm not aware of any planned.

What I want to happen more than anything is the three tunnels under the RR purposed.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Nov 2020 08:49

jetnd87 wrote:
texasstar wrote:I'm telling you, when the masks come off, this town is going to explode with growth like we've never seen before.

I'm inclined to agree with you - perhaps out of sheer optimism - but what in particular makes you say this?

I also agree with texasstar and because:
* The reasons that were bringing people to DFW pre-COVID have not changed and are still true.
* Increase in people working from home means less of a reason to live in the higher cost of living coastal cities (although that also could mean less of a reason to live in DFW for some as well).
* We may 'win' over some people who prefer to live somewhere with less restrictions/regulations
* Texas being more lax on lockdown measures has allowed us to jumpstart our economy earlier than some other cities. Basically, in regards to the economy, it seems we may have a bit of a 'headstart'.
* Our biggest disadvantage could be our biggest advantage here. Our biggest disadvantage is that there is no nature here and not much to do aside from shopping, eating, drinking, and just general consumption. The positive side is that if that is what most people are doing here, the local economy should hopefully rebound quicker with more people going out and consuming.
Last edited by DPatel304 on 04 Nov 2020 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 04 Nov 2020 10:48

MC_ScattCat wrote:Who are these people? The only thing in this area is light industrial or apartments. Kessler Park is on the other side of 30 and this building wouldn't impede their views (if they have one). The area I would think could see complaints is where the old DCS bus depot area is. That would be a great area for towers but I'm not aware of any planned.

What I want to happen more than anything is the three tunnels under the RR purposed.

Just look between Singleton and Canada Drive those are mostly one story single family homes and while their view of the skyline wont really be impeded they are concerned about living so close to an area that could like like Uptown with 20-30 story towers in what they perceive should remain a single family neighborhood. I am not saying they are correct I've just been to enough meetings with single family homeowners heard how they react when towers start getting proposed vs 4-5 story apartment buildings.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Dec 2020 11:09

Trinity Groves in West Dallas is building a beer garden, bringing back burgers
Romano is envisioning a casual atmosphere, where customers hang out under umbrellas and drink canned beer and frozen cocktails. The area will have 30 trees planted where the pavement is now; crews plan to start ripping up the parking lot this month.

The idea for the beer garden was inspired by the success of popular Dallas backyard bar Katy Trail Ice House, Romano says.

His beer garden will sit next to the former Off-Site Kitchen, restaurateur Nick Badovinus’ cult-followed burger joint that closed mid-pandemic. Romano plans to turn that building back into a burger joint, and while Badovinus won’t be involved, the burgers there will be inspired by those at the former OSK.

https://outline.com/JZgtUM

I wonder if they are planning on turning that entire front parking lot into a beer garden or only part of it. I definitely like the sound of this though, hopefully it works out for them as I really do like this area and it sounds like it has been struggling lately.