Las Colinas/North Irving Development

TXGunLover

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby TXGunLover » 06 Mar 2018 14:20

Walk On's broke ground on Regent by Pinstack and Whiskey Cake yesterday.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 06 Mar 2018 14:37

muncien wrote:Pic of Hidden Ridge developement (Pioneer Natural Resources Campus). You can also see the Convention Center Hotel rising on the left and the rest of the Urban Center and even Downtown Dallas in the background.
Not many angles to get a view of Hidden Ridge as they've got fences up all around it.

Thanks for the picture. I know this is supposed to be a mixed-use development... Have they announced any of the restaurants and/or retail that will be included?

muncien

Postby muncien » 06 Mar 2018 14:50

WilCo wrote:
muncien wrote:Pic of Hidden Ridge developement (Pioneer Natural Resources Campus). You can also see the Convention Center Hotel rising on the left and the rest of the Urban Center and even Downtown Dallas in the background.
Not many angles to get a view of Hidden Ridge as they've got fences up all around it.

Thanks for the picture. I know this is supposed to be a mixed-use development... Have they announced any of the restaurants and/or retail that will be included?

I thought UCR/CBRE would be leasing the site, but so far I can only find the far western edge along Macarthur, which is really nothing more than a strip mall. They used to show a wataburger going in there (lol), but now I see a Starbucks, Verizon, and Panera listed.
http://ucr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/SEQ-MacArthur-at-Hidden-Ridge-property-flyer-021318.pdf
I assume the primary mixed use area along Green Park Dr. is still probably very early on the drawing board. They certainly havent started construction on anything other than the Pioneer campus so far (as required by City of Irving). That whole road is supposed to get a rebuild as well, and I assume we have a long way to go before getting there...
I also look forward to the new DART station getting underway. No sign of that yet either.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 06 Mar 2018 15:11

muncien wrote:
WilCo wrote:

I thought UCR/CBRE would be leasing the site, but so far I can only find the far western edge along Macarthur, which is really nothing more than a strip mall. They used to show a wataburger going in there (lol), but now I see a Starbucks, Verizon, and Panera listed.
http://ucr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/SEQ-MacArthur-at-Hidden-Ridge-property-flyer-021318.pdf
I assume the primary mixed use area along Green Park Dr. is still probably very early on the drawing board. They certainly havent started construction on anything other than the Pioneer campus so far (as required by City of Irving). That whole road is supposed to get a rebuild as well, and I assume we have a long way to go before getting there...
I also look forward to the new DART station getting underway. No sign of that yet either.

Oh boy, so more of the same for MacArthur Road. Three Starbucks in Las Colinas now, look out!

muncien

Postby muncien » 09 Mar 2018 08:47

Here is an article regarding the media tour for the 'Big Beat' venue... Sounds quite impressive...
http://www.focusdailynews.com/2018/03/08/big-beat-entertainment-complex-opens-soon-in-las-colinas/
On a recent dine-around tour we started with real down-home southern-style comfort food at Texas Jam House, open 24/7 for breakfast, lunch, dinner or late night dining. A BBQ express window allows outside pickup for those who like to keep moving.

Feel free to take your drink along, open containers are allowed between locations. The plaza has 365 days of live entertainment plus a Ranchers’ Market featuring seasonal produce, flowers and a coffee shop, inside a pavilion covered by a huge Texas flag. Since everything in Texas is bigger and better, Big Beat hosts the world’s largest happy hour from 3-8 p.m. daily.

With seven live music stages, over 290 menu items, 160+ cocktails, deciding what to do next will be the biggest problem faced by visitors to Big Beat. If you don’t have fun at Big Beat, it’s your own fault!

Opens 'later this month'...

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 09 Mar 2018 09:46

muncien wrote:Here is an article regarding the media tour for the 'Big Beat' venue... Sounds quite impressive...
http://www.focusdailynews.com/2018/03/08/big-beat-entertainment-complex-opens-soon-in-las-colinas/
On a recent dine-around tour we started with real down-home southern-style comfort food at Texas Jam House, open 24/7 for breakfast, lunch, dinner or late night dining. A BBQ express window allows outside pickup for those who like to keep moving.

Feel free to take your drink along, open containers are allowed between locations. The plaza has 365 days of live entertainment plus a Ranchers’ Market featuring seasonal produce, flowers and a coffee shop, inside a pavilion covered by a huge Texas flag. Since everything in Texas is bigger and better, Big Beat hosts the world’s largest happy hour from 3-8 p.m. daily.

With seven live music stages, over 290 menu items, 160+ cocktails, deciding what to do next will be the biggest problem faced by visitors to Big Beat. If you don’t have fun at Big Beat, it’s your own fault!

Opens 'later this month'...

I walked by to check out the progress last night. It's starting to come together and does look like it will be pretty cool. They are definitely hiring like crazy right now and looks like they are mostly just doing training and finishing out the plaza. One of the venues looks just about complete and I peaked in the window. It looks like a blues lounge with pretty cool rustic decor and set-up. Small stage at one corner and large, long bar on the other end of it.

I think having one place focus mostly on food is pretty smart. Since they all share the same liquor license, selling a ton of food at that one place during lunch (not hard at all in this area) will put them in the clear for the rest of the places on the 70-30 ratio rule. I think these will definitely have more of a "bar atmosphere" than anything else so far in the area. Like I said previous, people like having something to do at bars now, and live music will always draw a crowd. I just wish they would nix the cover fee, even just in the beginning to allow people to discover the bars.

muncien

Postby muncien » 09 Mar 2018 11:48

^^^^
Yeah... The cover fee is silly. But, I act 'old' now and getting in before 9pm is no issue. I remember vising uptown a couple of weeks ago, and when walking by Tate's with the lady, I figured we'd go inside. I actually laughed out loud when they asked for a cover. It's uptown... There are dozens of viable options without cover. I realize Las Colinas isn't there yet, so they can probably get away with it - for now.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 09 Mar 2018 18:53

Water Street build our is finally starting to ramp up. State Fare and Cork & Pig are starting to take shape on the inside. El Famoso patio was packed this evening.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 12 Mar 2018 08:43

Walked past the Big Beat venues yesterday. It looks like they are putting up a second stage in the plaza area which I didn't expect. I couldn't see inside of it, but the establishment in there that catches my eye is Martini Ranch. They are marketing it as a true night/dance club. They will have a DJ battle to open it up. This could definitely draw a younger/late-night crowd. I just wonder what type of young crowd that will be, whether it will be rowdy or just fun. It takes up all of the second floor above Bar Manzanilla. I suspect the rest will be more restaurant/happy-hour bars. C-Bar should be cool too, also on the second floor, being marketed as a Jazz lounge.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Mar 2018 14:08

The past 2 times I went to El Famoso it was terrible... Too many things to list from cold food to dirty table to inattentive wait-staff. For the prices and portions and service I'll gladly walk to Gloria's 9 out of 10 times. Now, with that being said I get more curious as to what Water Street Phase 2 might entail. My assumption would be that Gables would just build more apartments but would certainly like to see them go more vertical and add some additional retail / restaurant space. I'm sure they'll wait to see how Phase 1 pans out though.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 12 Mar 2018 14:39

We visited El Famoso this weekend as well, and it's absolutely awful. They won't make it 6 months with the rent they have and the terrible food quality.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 12 Mar 2018 15:30

Agree, really wanted El Famoso to be good but it's just gotten worse every time I've gone. Grimaldi's service was pretty awful the last time I went, but it was the Sunday crew. I've been most pleased with Gloria's as far as food & service go.
Freshii & Top Round just aren't very good either. Gotten my order screwed up at Top Round two times already. Freshii is already getting terrible reviews and I don't think it'll last there either. Not sure how they do at lunchtime.
In other news - looks like Texas Jam House and Route 61 open up this week. Bar Manzanilla & Martini Ranch to follow at the end of March. Everything except for two restaurants should be open first week of April.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 12 Mar 2018 16:41

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... music.html

List of some of the restaurant spots at the Factory (and upcoming) and their statuses. Time-lapse construction site video also at the linkie.

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 Mar 2018 10:08

Not really my intention to pile on, but I was one of those at El Famoso Friday and I have to agree with everything said. The Queso Flamedo was terrible. The house margarita tasted as if I got it from one of those squeeze pouches at the gas station. The service was very slow (20 mins for chips and salsa... AT THE BAR)! And this was early on when there were more employees than guests. The bartender openly grumbled at the lack of assistance (understandably) as everyone else preferred to swing towels around and watch.
It is a shame as this is a very good spot and I like how dynamic the space can be as it will open up to the outside when the weather is great. I understand that the decor was intended to match authentic mexican eateries in Cali, but why you would really want to do that is beyond me. The design looks like its been there since 1990... and not in a good way.
Hopefully, they will either get their act together, or something better will move in eventually. A menu redo, and some firings wouldnt hurt this place.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 14 Mar 2018 10:29

These are all new places that are still trying to figure it out, but I don't see El Famoso ever being very good. The owner simply doesn't know what he's doing on the Mexican food front, being a pizza guy. I think this was an experiment for him and it will probably not last.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 14 Mar 2018 11:35

For anyone interested, Big Beat Dallas has posted a month's worth of their upcoming acts:
https://bigbeatdallas.com/events/
Actually some pretty good names including Johnathan Tyler and the Northern Lights.
Texas Jam House & Highway 61 have also posted their menus.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 14 Mar 2018 15:14

Ran across this article today... Found the last line VERY interesting!

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-worth/ ... ated-86112

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Mar 2018 15:40

Wow, nice find! Well, as long as the rumor ends up being true, I really don't care what company locates there. Obviously we are all wondering where HQ2 ends up, but any corporate relocation is a great addition to the area.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 14 Mar 2018 16:13

Good find. That last sentence is interesting. I'd love to see another high-rise office building in Las Colinas. I know we will never have another entertainment complex like Music Factory but I am hoping we will continue to add retail/multi-family unit hybrids like Water Street. I know Music Factory and Water Street are probably going to be it for new retail development for a while, though. They have to prove successful before anyone else even considers it. If the building rumor is true, we are indeed running out of land on Lake Carolyn. Pretty cool to see as born & raised Irvingite who remembers when "that was all just fields." :)

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 14 Mar 2018 19:09

Seeing all these reviews made me go back to El Famoso. I had really enjoyed the queso flameado when we went opening night. I was shocked when I went back yesterday for lunch. It was awful, one of the worst I’ve had. It was soup. I gave them a chance. I sent it back with kind instructions to burn the top. A few minutes later it came back, soup still. Really disappointing, I don’t know what happened between now and then.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 14 Mar 2018 22:33

According to my buddy the bartender told them they're getting close to getting in trouble for selling more alcohol than food. I wonder why. I say they convert it to a bar and switch their permit. Maybe focus on a few bar food items.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 16 Mar 2018 10:44

Martini Ranch has already posted DJs playing on their calendar this week. I wonder if this is a private soft opening. All of the Big Beat venues have posted their menus online if anyone is curious. Looks like Martini Ranch will be selling primarily alcohol and few appetizers. C-Bar definitely looks like the fanciest food options. Bar Manzanilla should be standard tex-mex type food. Highway 61 is BBQ & Texas Jam House is Southern food. Will probably go check out one of those two on Sunday for their openings and report back.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 18 Mar 2018 20:56

Checked out the soft opening of Big Beat Tonight. I was initially skeptical, but I am very impressed so far. It is definitely a bit on the pricey side. However, the food at Texas Jam House at least was very good. The initial price shock goes away when you see how big the portions are. We easily split the meat loaf. The service was very good for a soft opening. Restaurant decor was very cool, reminds me a bit of Mash'd in Fort Worth. Kind of the upscale redneck vibe, if you will. My mom made the comment that the area reminded her of West 7th in Fort Worth and I'm starting to see it. Gives off W. 7th/Stockyards mixed vibes which isn't surprising with Billy Bob's involvement. As a former Fort Worther, that's not a bad thing.

We went for a few drinks at Highway 61 and listened to the band playing there. The acoustics and quality of the music surpassed my expectations. Initially you think it is too small for a band to play there, but it really works. Never seen that many people for a soft opening before. As small as it is, I think it will be a very popular place.

It appears Bar Manzanilla will take away the tables after 9 PM and turn into a Mexican Dance club type place, sort of like a smaller version of Gloria's in Addison. Martini Ranch is definitely going to be solely focused on being a dance club and won't even open until 9 PM. Big Beat as a whole will be 21 & up/checking IDs after 9 PM. I think that is a good thing, and to my knowledge this is the first place in Irving that has done that. What that means to me: real bars. Not just restaurants. Definitely got a good vibe from the place from the first night, hope they keep it up!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 19 Mar 2018 12:28

Don't get me wrong, I love having all the options that The Music Factory brings.... but walking around yesterday it's starting to look like a very touristy type place. You have paid parking now in effect ($10 if you stay longer than 3 hours), Corporate Sponsors like the Texas Lottery Plaza and the soon to be Albertson's Marketplace, you have numerous digital boards that basically run ads for all the said sponsors, you've taken a huge chunk of The Music Factory and now you'll charge a cover after 9pm to get into Big Beat... I'm confused. Let's say I want to drop by Texas Jam House at midnight to grab some waffles on my way home. Do I have to pay a cover just to eat at the Big Beat Restaurants on top of having to pay to park?

There's no doubt that Water Street will become more of a destination for locals who just want to hang on a patio, grab a good meal (minus El Famoso) and have a few drinks.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 19 Mar 2018 13:41

Kelley USA wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love having all the options that The Music Factory brings.... but walking around yesterday it's starting to look like a very touristy type place. You have paid parking now in effect ($10 if you stay longer than 3 hours), Corporate Sponsors like the Texas Lottery Plaza and the soon to be Albertson's Marketplace, you have numerous digital boards that basically run ads for all the said sponsors, you've taken a huge chunk of The Music Factory and now you'll charge a cover after 9pm to get into Big Beat... I'm confused. Let's say I want to drop by Texas Jam House at midnight to grab some waffles on my way home. Do I have to pay a cover just to eat at the Big Beat Restaurants on top of having to pay to park?

There's no doubt that Water Street will become more of a destination for locals who just want to hang on a patio, grab a good meal (minus El Famoso) and have a few drinks.

I had the same concerns, but if you dig into it, it makes sense why is it the way it is. Las Colinas has never been known for nighttime activities. Everything has been geared toward the workers here. There just weren't enough residents until recently to justify any type of new restaurant development. Even now, they are still taking a risk -- the music factory cannot survive on local residents alone. They are relying on the fact that they will attract a regional draw for the concerts there that will bring people into the area in the evening hours. All the surrounding development is geared toward that crowd. I can only defend the cover in two ways: that it gives it the feeling of exclusivity (ie like what night clubs do when they charge covers), and that it is used to pay for the massive amount of musicians/DJs they will have on a nightly basis. Like I said this was a big financial risk, and the prices reflect that. As much as I would have loved something more casual/independent in the area, like the article you posted earlier mentioned, it's not cheap to build around here. All the prices and the feel of the area reflect that. Big Beat in my opinion at least provides the entertainment to somewhat justify the prices. You won't find many music venues these days without a cover. Yardhouse and the others are the ones that I think charge too much for no reason.

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 19 Mar 2018 17:52

“the soon to be Albertson's Marketplace”

Huh? What? Grocery store in Toyota music factory?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 19 Mar 2018 22:43

^^Ha, no... It's suppose to be the Rancher's Market presented by Albertson's. It's going to be the Market between Highway 61 and Bar Manzanilla. A snippet from the site:

Get the family together for a trip to our Ranchers’ Market, featuring fresh, organic and seasonal produce, just-picked flowers and barista-brewed coffee.

muncien

Postby muncien » 20 Mar 2018 08:27

^^ Curious to see that... Had there been a residential component to the Music Factory, that would make sense. But as it stands now, I have trouble seeing a 'market' of any type do well here.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 20 Mar 2018 08:55

muncien wrote:^^ Curious to see that... Had there been a residential component to the Music Factory, that would make sense. But as it stands now, I have trouble seeing a 'market' of any type do well here.

We are actually pretty excited about this, and it is one of the few components of the project that is for the local residents. Probably every other time we have gone to the Music Factory we end up walking. It's not too far removed from the majority of apartments on Lake Carolyn. Maybe 10-15 minute walk. In other news I saw the signs for a contractor go up next to my apartments and was curious so looked it up. Looks like more townhomes going up next to the Urban Center Dart Station, on the far side of the Lake. 81 units total.

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 20 Mar 2018 23:50

I know my wife’s been clamoring for a grocery store or market around Lake Carolyn. Granada market doesn’t cut it.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 Mar 2018 09:16

Waldozer wrote:I know my wife’s been clamoring for a grocery store or market around Lake Carolyn. Granada market doesn’t cut it.

Grenada Market is well positioned to meet this need, but poorly executed. It seems that there is so much more potential for the floor space in there, yet it hardly provides anything that a run of the mill 7/11 doesn't provide. Except of course, that Grenada will charge 4x as much for the same thing.
They need to cut down on the tables, shrink the 'deli' area, streamline the floor plan, and get some fresh veggies in there. I know these aren't small tasks, but it just seems that it should be better able to address that need.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 21 Mar 2018 09:45

muncien wrote:
Waldozer wrote:I know my wife’s been clamoring for a grocery store or market around Lake Carolyn. Granada market doesn’t cut it.

Grenada Market is well positioned to meet this need, but poorly executed. It seems that there is so much more potential for the floor space in there, yet it hardly provides anything that a run of the mill 7/11 doesn't provide. Except of course, that Grenada will charge 4x as much for the same thing.
They need to cut down on the tables, shrink the 'deli' area, streamline the floor plan, and get some fresh veggies in there. I know these aren't small tasks, but it just seems that it should be better able to address that need.

This is one area where all the retail/restaurants on MacArthur really hurts Urban Center. People have been willing to go down the street for their groceries. The demand is just now starting to come for a closer option. I can speak from going to Tom Thumb yesterday that while its a short drive, the traffic on MacArthur can be a pain in the ass. The owners of Granada Market are a small outfit, we really need a true, small grocery store/market in the UC. Think a Trader Joes would do great here. But with the opening of Whole Foods on MacArthur, that's looking less likely.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 Mar 2018 10:24

Is anybody aware of any intention to have the promonade connected behind the Omni Mandalay hotel? For years I have been dumbfound as to why there is no easement behind the pool of the Mandalay to allow a continuous path around lake Carolyn that is open to the public. It is litterally 100 feet or so of obstruction that prevents this. I realize you can always take the canal route, or walk along Las Colinas Blvd instead, but it still seems like a wasted opertunity to not have the promonade be continuous.
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8678129,-96.9368377,191m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e3?hl=en
With the opening of Water Street, it seems all the more important to enhance the pedestrian connectivity along the promonade.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 22 Mar 2018 09:15

Speaking of the Omni, this place is long overdue for a remodel. From the entrance to the pool area, from the lobby to the rooms it's all very outdated. Stepped inside a few times to use the lobby restroom while out running, and also had a friend that recently got married and stayed in the Governor's Room. The view at the top is amazing but the room / bathroom was still straight up 80's. I wonder how competition from the Westin and Texican Court will impact Omni business? The Omni could be a crown jewel but it needs some help!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 22 Mar 2018 09:22

Good little article about Nosh & Bottle opening at Toyota Music Factory. I originally thought this was a concept from the Granada Market folks, but doesn't appear to be. Should open in a few weeks. The interior looks pretty nice! This is right behind Bar Louie / Thirst Lion.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... s-colinas/

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 22 Mar 2018 10:43

Kelley USA wrote:Good little article about Nosh & Bottle opening at Toyota Music Factory. I originally thought this was a concept from the Granada Market folks, but doesn't appear to be. Should open in a few weeks. The interior looks pretty nice! This is right behind Bar Louie / Thirst Lion.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... s-colinas/

I like this concept, and totally agree most parts of DFW lack that corner Market that was a staple when I lived in D.C. There is one on almost any corner and they're good for quick bites and picking up small groceries without having to take the train to the nearest Target. The quick options in the Music Factory have not been great so far. I hope this and Burgerim can turn that around.

muncien

Postby muncien » 22 Mar 2018 10:49

We really need something significant rolling for North Shore development. Having more residents a stones throw from the Music Factory will provide a healthy stabilizing population. While I know much of this development is oriented towards visitors, there are a few concepts, such as the one above, that will suit residents much better. I personally would love to live next door to this thing.

EDIT: I kinda think the North Shore location is part of Las Colinas Amazon bid... That may be why its just kinda sitting there right now. But that bid has been pretty hush, hush as far as I can tell.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 22 Mar 2018 10:59

muncien wrote:We really need something significant rolling for North Shore development. Having more residents a stones throw from the Music Factory will provide a healthy stabilizing population. While I know much of this development is oriented towards visitors, there are a few concepts, such as the one above, that will suit residents much better. I personally would love to live next door to this thing.

EDIT: I kinda think the North Shore location is part of Las Colinas Amazon bid... That may be why its just kinda sitting there right now. But that bid has been pretty hush, hush as far as I can tell.

And someone associate with the Music Factory said in an article that a large office tenant would be moving there. Could just be speculation or maybe true but not Amazon. I know a master plan drafted several years back identified an urban grocery store at a high level of necessity to make this area walk-able. They also said they did not believe clothing stores or other soft retail would be viable here. That may be true, but I would like to see some type of high-end retail in the area just to make for a better overall walk-able experience. High-end retail & an urban grocery store would be my two biggest musts for the area if I were on the planning and development committee.

ETA: I think the city really screwed the pooch when they put the Irving Mall in the location they did. In hindsight, that may still be a nice mall if they would have put it closer to Las Colinas. But I digress...

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Mar 2018 11:19

I'd be fine with North Shore Amazon. The sooner Las Colinas, UTSW-Parkland medical and Downtown Dallas employment centers grow into each other, the better. I think Amazon is heading toward a corporate split of some sort so we'll put that one in Las Colinas; go ahead and reserve DTD for a Google HQ type office, Regal Row warehouses and UTD/Texas Stadium site give way to all the others following.... something like that. :)

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 22 Mar 2018 12:09

tamtagon wrote:The sooner Las Colinas, UTSW-Parkland medical and Downtown Dallas employment centers grow into each other, the better.

I think the redevelopment of the Texas Stadium site is crucial to this. The last plan fell apart but they are aiming to have something lined up by the time the highway construction lease is up, which is supposed to be the end of 2018.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 23 Mar 2018 09:32

So the Music Factory parking is being kinda enforced now and it was a total disaster last night. They just had a lady standing there swiping people's cards and not telling them they had to get a validation at the restaurant. Instead of giving you a piece of paper to validate at the box like most parking garages, you have to get one from the restaurant itself. Easy to forget and apparently everyone did because we waited 5 minutes to get out of the parking garage with all the confusion. They need to figure that out or it will scare people off.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 26 Mar 2018 11:19

Went to the Big Beat soft opening and concert last night. The Band of Heathens, a very good band from Austin, opened things up for the Plaza. Pretty surreal experience having grown up in this area going to an outdoor concert with the Las Colinas skyline in the background. Overall, the sound and experience was very cool. Pricey, the cover, touristy, I know, but the food at every restaurant there I've been to so far has been fantastic. We've ate at Texas Jam House, Highway 61, and Bar Manzanilla. All are really good establishments so far.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Mar 2018 11:52

KDGE used to have concerts by the Mustangs, some pretty big alternative names of the day... and that was surreal, too. Las Colinas has had a handful of near misses, one of these days it'll stick, probably this is it.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 26 Mar 2018 12:10

tamtagon wrote:KDGE used to have concerts by the Mustangs, some pretty big alternative names of the day... and that was surreal, too. Las Colinas has had a handful of near misses, one of these days it'll stick, probably this is it.

Didn't know that, interesting. Yeah, love it or hate it Big Beat isn't going anywhere for a while. They've poured way too much money and resources into it. The cool thing is this brings people out all nights of the week, not just when there's a Music Factory concert. I can't think of many places in DFW that have live music as often as that.

muncien

Postby muncien » 27 Mar 2018 10:16

WilCo wrote:
tamtagon wrote:KDGE used to have concerts by the Mustangs, some pretty big alternative names of the day... and that was surreal, too. Las Colinas has had a handful of near misses, one of these days it'll stick, probably this is it.

Didn't know that, interesting. Yeah, love it or hate it Big Beat isn't going anywhere for a while. They've poured way too much money and resources into it. The cool thing is this brings people out all nights of the week, not just when there's a Music Factory concert. I can't think of many places in DFW that have live music as often as that.

I had gone to Route 61 on Friday, and it was fantastic. The food was way above my expectations, and the sound quality for the band was spot on. As has been mentioned, it is a bit pricey, and service was spotty, but that is to be expected for new establishments. It's not that they were rude, or understaffed or anything... just a bit confused. The stuffed jalapeno appetizer came out in like a minute, while the main course took about 40 mins... but I'm sure they'll have it worked out soon. The entire place (even though several weren't open yet) gave off a great vibe and there were people everywhere throughout the night. As word gets out, this may even get a bit too crowded... But I'm glad there are plenty of alternatives to handle overflow.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 27 Mar 2018 11:02

Excited to hear that some of the retail options are a hit. Could you guys post some pictures of the new developments? As an ex-Local I am excited to see what many of the new developments look like!

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 31 Mar 2018 23:45

So after the "new car smell" has worn off, at least for me, Big Beat definitely has some serious flaws. The prices have upped even since the soft opening. Martini Ranch, which I was hoping might draw a younger crowd has totally squandered that by making the dress code business casual. Really?
Tonight even during the heavily marketed grand opening the crowd pretty much cleared out after 10 PM. Even with a band playing at 10:30. That's because the crowd was mostly over 50. Nothing wrong with that, but for late night you won't be able to sustain all these businesses on that demographic. Any hope this would be a young person attraction is quickly fading due to the prices and atmosphere there.
Too bad, because Las Colinas sorely needs it. You can play around with this map: https://onthemap.ces.census.gov/, but we've done a really bad job of keeping young employees in the area compared to the other suburban-urban developments. We lose a ton of them to Uptown or other spots in Dallas and even Addison. That's not good for the city's long-term growth. We will see how everything plays out. I stand by the food being good still, even though its overpriced. Bar Manzanilla charges $6 for chips and salsa, which is basically blasphemy in Texas.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 01 Apr 2018 13:36

It may be a long learning curve on the whole Music Factory's part to attract a younger crowd, with so many other places (West 7th, Legacy, Uptown, Deep Ellum, Denton, etcetc) to go that they know already. There could be a case of habit--younger folks may not think of Las Colinas as a place to go at night regularly yet. Or maybe word has gotten around about the high restaurant prices.

Without knowing better, I would guess:
* Music Factory management needs to step up their promotion to potential younger patrons via radio and/or social media.
* Price points need to be reviewed somehow. Chips/salsa for $6 is a bit steep IMO, especially when so many restaurants do that free.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 Apr 2018 17:02

Las Colinas is in position to be like Addison was 30 years ago-- turning into a destination alternative for the Dallas Night Life. If Irving starts municipal management like it's a world city instead of a rural Texas town, Las Colinas will turn into the third "downtown" in North Texas, but if city government maintains a disposition more recognizable in Grimes County, then Las Colinas will continue to be almost there.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 01 Apr 2018 17:10

jrd1964 wrote:It may be a long learning curve on the whole Music Factory's part to attract a younger crowd, with so many other places (West 7th, Legacy, Uptown, Deep Ellum, Denton, etcetc) to go that they know already. There could be a case of habit--younger folks may not think of Las Colinas as a place to go at night regularly yet. Or maybe word has gotten around about the high restaurant prices.

Without knowing better, I would guess:
* Music Factory management needs to step up their promotion to potential younger patrons via radio and/or social media.
* Price points need to be reviewed somehow. Chips/salsa for $6 is a bit steep IMO, especially when so many restaurants do that free.

I'll definitely give it time, but it's hard to imagine Big Beat in its current form ever drawing a younger crowd at night. We overheard several younger people there making the same comments, and one saying they wouldn't be coming back. It's not a good first impression when you see several bands with members all over the age of 50, being watched by people all over the age of 50, and having to overpay to do so. Then you go to Martini Ranch, and again due to the demographic and silly dress code the patronage was on the older side and their cool looking elevated dance floor was completely empty the whole time we were there. It will quickly turn into what Glass Cactus and other establishments in Grapevine are known as. I am just hoping like others have said that this all waterfalls or makes the city realize they need to make some changes and trendier bars or establishments will open in the area. No offense to Billy Bob, and I'm a fan of Billy Bobs, but he's not exactly the guy you bring in as a consultant to bring in young urban professionals to an area, and its showing right now.