Las Colinas/North Irving Development

vman

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby vman » 05 Dec 2017 07:13

Kelley USA wrote:They kind of all run together, but that's a Sleep Experts up on 635. Sleep Number tends to be a tad more upscale. There is one at Grapevine Mills, Shops of Southlake, Park Lane in Dallas... Might be a good fit for this development. I was never actually a fan of having a fast food drive-thru there.

Actually, I think the retail in this development is lousy. Sleep Number is fine in the other developments because there's plenty of other retail. This development isn't very large, so I would have thought better retail would have been chosen. Right now, after shopping at Whole Foods, you can check your data plan at Sprint and look at your investment portfolio at Fidelity Investments. I would have been satisfied if Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts would have gone in the Pollo spot. Would have made a good Torchy's Tacos too.

vman

Postby vman » 05 Dec 2017 07:16

vman wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:They kind of all run together, but that's a Sleep Experts up on 635. Sleep Number tends to be a tad more upscale. There is one at Grapevine Mills, Shops of Southlake, Park Lane in Dallas... Might be a good fit for this development. I was never actually a fan of having a fast food drive-thru there.

Actually, I think the retail in this development is lousy. Sleep Number is fine in the other developments because there's plenty of other retail. This development isn't very large, so I would have thought better retail would have been chosen. Right now, after shopping at Whole Foods, you can check your data plan at Sprint and look at your investment portfolio at Fidelity Investments. I would have been satisfied if Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts would have gone in the Pollo spot. Would have made a good Torchy's Tacos too. You know, something that actually brings people. Seem like such a waste of retail space for a strip anchored by something as popular as Whole Foods.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 Dec 2017 12:55

Looks like the NorthShore site is for sale... This is very recent.

https://my.hfflp.com/GetDocument?BBArgs ... _VaLlUbFJx

muncien

Postby muncien » 11 Dec 2017 09:41

Here's a shot of the urban center this morning... You can see Water Street taking shape, although from a distance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

muncien

Postby muncien » 11 Dec 2017 09:45

I didn't get a pic yet, but the new PRT station for Water Street is coming along rather quickly as well. They're only building station access from the southern side of the tracks. I don't believe there is any intent to use the opposite track going forward. So to get from the Urban Center Station over to the Urban Towers, you would have to take the PRT to the Clock Tower station and then transfer to the other side (a new crossover was being built so you don't have to go down stairs and then back up... not sure if it's done yet), and then take that tram to the Urban Towers station.
Or, you could just take DART to Convention Center station and walk, if you are heading to the Music Factory. Walking along the promenade behind Williams Square really wouldn't take much longer.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 11 Dec 2017 11:27

Water Street is sort of exceeding my expectations. It's coming along nicely. Music Factory is big and bold, but I think Water Street will be the nice little neighborhood center with great restaurants and a good atmosphere. The park in front is looking good and they're getting ready to start on the fountains in the back. I'm digging it!

On another note, all you Torchy's Taco fans fear not... I noticed some work being done on the old Applebee's space on 635 near MacArthur. Turns out Torchy's is taking over.

muncien

Postby muncien » 11 Dec 2017 12:09

Water Street retail will have a strong presence along O'conner. I am extremely grateful that they didn't go with that one short lived pitch that had two more rows of parking IN FRONT of the shops, and instead put it back behind them where it should be. While the scale of these shops are good, they certainly could have put some apartments on top of them. But, I guess we can take the good with the bad on this one. In the end, it should be fairly solid, and definitely something the urban center has been lacking... big time.

Great news about Torchy's... but that is a tuff location. Hopefully they generate enough interest to make it work.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 14 Dec 2017 12:17

I feel like something is semi-brewing at the Hidden Ridge development. I know the City Council has been meeting in Executive Session for the past few months regarding Verizon and Hidden Ridge. Could be nothing at all, but something is certainly being discussed.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 Dec 2017 11:22

Last time I saw unmarked helicopters flying low circles around the Music Factory/Convention Center area, we seemed to get the Hidden Ridge announcement shortly afterward.
Again today, we have an unmarked helicopter (much bigger than a news chopper) scoping out the Urban Center, flying some low passes around Williams Square, before eventually flying toward the NorthPark area.
It's probably nothing, but it's certainly not normal activity.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 Jan 2018 16:38

I saw them putting some new zoning change signs at the corner of 161 and 114. This is the 36 acres owned by Blue Star Land and being marketed by Lincoln Property. Wonder if they're getting ready to move on it?

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 05 Jan 2018 00:04

Just noticed a lot of new opening dates for businesses at Toyota Music Factory. Bar Louie and Thirsty Lion have been respectably holding down the fort for a while now but the Brazilian steakhouse is supposedly opening in four days. Grimaldis Pizzeria is opening at the end of January and Drafthouse movie theater at the end of February. More dates here: http://toyotamusicfactory.com/events/

I haven’t heard much about Water Street. Nothing seems to be opened yet and there are many for lease signs on windows. A DMN article from November said that they’d start opening in thanksgiving and were 60% leased. According to the linked article below, some businesses are slated to open in 2018.

http://www.meetings-conventions.com/art ... x?id=69601

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 05 Jan 2018 12:22

Yes, Grimaldi's and YardHouse should be open at the end of this month. The finish-out on YardHouse is basically complete. Looks great inside!

As for Water Street, there are basically just 3 tenants doing build out right now. The GQ Tailor, Nail Spa and El Famoso. They do have a number of tenants signed but getting the build-outs started has been painfully slow. Confirmed they do have State Fare Kitchen, Cork & Pig, Londoner Pub, Cafe Herrera, Main Street Bakery, Grabagreen, Creamistry, Olivella's Pizza, Go Fish Poke, Waxing the City and Jinya Ramen. So it is probably 60% - 70% leased now.

dallasbeatsaustin

Postby dallasbeatsaustin » 06 Jan 2018 22:13

Is that the same Londoner Pub as the one in Addison?

mwaskow

Postby mwaskow » 07 Jan 2018 19:19

I thought there was also supposed to be a Twisted Root Burger opening at Water Street? Where is the site of the proposed Market Street?

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 07 Jan 2018 19:32

Propoaed market Street is for Las Colinas and the George Bush.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 13 Jan 2018 14:44

In the last few days, the state has put up new blue guide signs for the Music Factory. They are along TX 114 and the part of NW Highway near Las Colinas.

(sorry about the night shots--was so surprised to see these last night, I had to stop and snap)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 Jan 2018 14:15

I just saw on City of Irving's meeting agenda for tomorrow a request to put a gated town home community on the lot adjacent to Irving Convention Center Station. That makes zero sense... The density is all wrong. This comes after recently scolding the next property over for not including retail along the same 'Kiss & Ride' street in their proposal (4-story apartments). Yet here we are allowing a wrought iron gated fence in the same place...
I'm all for owner occupied units, but this is just ridiculous. Already approved by P&Z. This essentially mimics what happened at O'conner across from the Urban Center DART station.
smh

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 18 Jan 2018 08:03

“This essentially mimics what happened at O'conner across from the Urban Center DART station.”

What development are you referring to? The townhomes on the corner of E Las Colinas Blvd and Riverside?

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 18 Jan 2018 08:07

The old Pollo Tropical location in the Whole Foods parking lot will become a Sleep Number Bed store.

muncien

Postby muncien » 18 Jan 2018 09:27

Waldozer wrote:“This essentially mimics what happened at O'conner across from the Urban Center DART station.”

What development are you referring to? The townhomes on the corner of E Las Colinas Blvd and Riverside?

The same folks (InTown) who built the ones you are talking about also got approval to do the same at Oconner. I didn't dig into the latest request, but I would bet it is them as well. So, that would make three townhome developments in the Urban Center when all is said and done. I wouldn't be surprised if they pursue an adjacent lot next to their latest site either... Once you open that door, its easier to get approval for that density around it.

I do love their product... just not in these last two locations.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 19 Jan 2018 09:16

I was totally dumbfounded when I saw they wanted to build a gated townhome community in the urban center. I gave up about a year ago in hoping the City would do the right thing with the remaining land in the Urban Center. The reality is you have suburban minded people making decisions for an urban area. And just to note, the parcel they're looking at is right next to where the Texican Court hotel is going up...

I did actually notice this morning several trucks on the site of the now defunct NorthShore development. They were taking soil samples. However, I'm sure it's just another apartment developer kicking the tires.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Jan 2018 09:43

Kelley USA wrote:I was totally dumbfounded when I saw they wanted to build a gated townhome community in the urban center. I gave up about a year ago in hoping the City would do the right thing with the remaining land in the Urban Center. The reality is you have suburban minded people making decisions for an urban area. And just to note, the parcel they're looking at is right next to where the Texican Court hotel is going up...

Haha, I get so frustrated when I look at the suburban/urban developments around DFW. Some of them have some decent potential, but the potential gets squandered almost immediately but dumb decisions such as this. I don't understand the mindset. You can build gated townhome communities almost anywhere, but there's only a finite amount of land available near these walkable developments.

foleymi1

Postby foleymi1 » 22 Jan 2018 15:35

Long time lurker here. Just came across this article from about an hour ago on the south corner of 114/161 development: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ect-irving

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Jan 2018 15:44

foleymi1 wrote: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ect-irving

"In addition to the announced projects like Blue Star that are either underway or planned to kick-off soon, we are pleased to see additional activity for both new residential and commercial development," said J. Hammond Perot, president of the Las Colinas Association. "Given where we are at this stage of the cycle, as well as the amount of developable real estate remaining, it certainly appears that we are in for another good year of activity."

Where we are.... at this stage... of the cycle....

We are about five years into a 25 year cycle. Is that what J. Hammond Perot means?

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 22 Jan 2018 21:23

Hotel, retail and apartment building.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 23 Jan 2018 09:06

I'd like to see more plans before I comment on the Blue Star Land project... It really sounds more like an avenue to build more multi-family. It's only 30K sq ft of retail which is not much at all. That's hardly enough to create any sort of retail destination. It's exactly 1/2 of what Water Street has. Hotel would be nice, but what sort of quality branded hotel are we going to get? Apparently they've taken an office component completely out of the mix now. I'll need to see some plans though.

muncien

Postby muncien » 23 Jan 2018 09:11

Yeah... I was digging around, but unable to find any details. But from what I did find, it seems that they only speak for a small portion of that massive piece of land... so I suspect there is more to come.

Unrelated... I think Yardhouse may have opened yesterday, but i have yet to verify.

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 23 Jan 2018 11:00

Yeah, Yardhouse is definitely open as of yesterday.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 24 Jan 2018 09:13

The Toys-R-Us / Babies-R-Us location on MacArthur was recently announced for closure. It was originally an Albertson's if anyone remembers that. Curious to see what will come of the space.

And yes, YardHouse is definitely open. They held soft openings over the weekend and officially launched on Monday. Heard it's been packed. Boi Na Braza is open too. They did a beautiful job with their build-out. Looks great! Top Round and Grimaldi's are both speeding towards opening. I would guess those 2 should open in the next few weeks.

muncien

Postby muncien » 24 Jan 2018 10:45

Here is a great article about what is to come at the Music Factory. This place will no doubt be the place to go for the loads of corporate folks in the area, as well as the booming nearby residential population.
http://www.focusdailynews.com/2018/01/23/billy-bob-barnett-opening-big-beat-dallas-las-colinas/

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 24 Jan 2018 11:48

^^ I'm a little hesitant about leasing 6 spots to one company. I will say that I've peeked in the windows of a few of the spots and they're spending quite a bit on finish-outs. They still have to erect the giant canopy and they've gone before council to ask if they can build a fence around the plaza area. In order to meet the special permit for TABC, which allows you to buy a drink at one of their locations and take it to the next, they have to have a fence for security purposes. So we'll most likely see a fence go up around the plaza and their concepts. It also allows them to charge a cover for anyone entering the plaza after 9pm. Free before 9pm though.

Could be really cool or could be super douchy!

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 24 Jan 2018 14:14

The Toys-R-Us / Babies-R-Us location on MacArthur was recently announced for closure.

That company has gotten crushed in the past few years. Locations in Allen, Irving, Lewisville, and the Dallas Galleria are also closing leaving, Garland, Frisco, and Dallas US75 as the only locations in north Texas. It's now essentially 'destination' retail, as you will generally have a 30 minute drive to one of its stores.

muncien

Postby muncien » 24 Jan 2018 14:23

The_Overdog wrote:The Toys-R-Us / Babies-R-Us location on MacArthur was recently announced for closure.

That company has gotten crushed in the past few years. Locations in Allen, Irving, Lewisville, and the Dallas Galleria are also closing leaving, Garland, Frisco, and Dallas US75 as the only locations in north Texas. It's now essentially 'destination' retail, as you will generally have a 30 minute drive to one of its stores.

To prove the point... This store regularly has Irving PD in the parking lot during rush hour to ticket cars racing through the empty parking lot to get from Las Colinas blvd to 635 without getting Macarthur. There are speed bumps in front of the store, but everyone just drives through the lot to avoid them. LOL

Curious what takes its place... Id love to see the main structure torn down and more of a village configuration built with smaller stores and pull in parking. If they could seamlessly integrate with the Hotel and University behind the building, all the better. But I doubt that would ever happen.

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 24 Jan 2018 15:09

“Big Beat Dallas provides free admission to the Texas Lottery® Open-Air Plaza up until 9 p.m., where live entertainment will perform 365 days a year. After 9 p.m. admission will be a nominal $10. “

Can’t I just show up at 8:45 and avoid the $10 cover?

vman

Postby vman » 29 Jan 2018 07:09

I went to the new Yard House saturday afternoon. Very nice restaurant, very good food. The place was nicely busy at 2:30. It seems Grimaldi's should be opening this week judging by the activity there. I'm skeptical about Big Beat. Seems like one of those ideas that will probably start out strong, then fizzle (Hope I'm wrong).

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 29 Jan 2018 19:45

Grimaldi's, Top Round Roast Beef, and I believe Freshii are all open now. Went to Top Round today, not bad for a quick bite in the area. The custard was good too.

I share vman's skepticism about Big Beat, but also really hope we are both wrong. Right now, the Music Factory kind of has a Southlake Town Square feel and needs some energy injected into it, especially during the evening hours. I just get frustrated because I see how many young people live around here, including myself, and we finally get some entertainment options but they're treating it like any other suburban development. I think it's clear by how many mid-rise apartments and office buildings there are in the immediate vicinity that this is not a a typical suburban area. At the very least we should have a comparable nightlife scene to Addison.

Like I said I hope Big Beat does it, because as good as Yard House & Thirsty Lion are for food, that's not going to do it for night life. The young people will just stick to Ubering to Uptown.

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 30 Jan 2018 02:06

I’ll definitely make an effort to explore the live music scene there. I hope it’s good.

Went to grimaldis to pick up a pizza. It was about thirty percent full. The bar has some TVs there to watch games. The outdoor seating should be nice; have good views out to the street and the lake.

I talked to the bartender and he said that most customers that he talked to are from the area and are excited that they no longer have to drive to Park lane or west village for grimaldis.

Alien

Postby Alien » 30 Jan 2018 14:06

Kelley USA wrote:A couple of notes from P&Z last night... The development at 161 & Las Colinas Blvd was approved. The housing developers will be Darling and David Weekly. It was also confirmed that Market Street is the lead tenant for the retail portion. Market Street will be building an upgraded store unlike any of their other stores here in DFW. Somewhat of a new prototype.

Also, it looks like the old Tenaya, Republic, Sfuzzi, Las Colinas Prime, Table & Tavern building on 114 will be coming down. A new 6 story Element Hotel will be taking its place. Good to see!

Maybe the admin of MarketStreet's Facebook page didn't know what she was talking about, but she indicated there was no plans for a MarketStreet store in Las Colinas.
Can someone confirm or deny?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 31 Jan 2018 09:08

^^ Well could actually be a yes or no. Market Street has appeared on the UCR site plan for quite some time. http://ucr.com/property/shops-las-colinas/ However, the project has done very little to move forward in the past 3 or 4 years. It could be the project is dead. On the site plan it has Torchy's listed as a tenant. I guess they got tired of waiting because they're now redeveloping the old Applebee's space on 635.

And then again, this development has really not been made public in terms of tenants. Generally companies will refuse to comment or simply deny until it becomes official.

Alien

Postby Alien » 31 Jan 2018 09:14

Got a definite answer from United Supermarkets corporate.
MarketStreet will build at this location with a proposed opening date at the end of 2019.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 31 Jan 2018 11:32

Good to hear! That means we won't see any construction for at least 14-16 months. As the anchor tenant this won't start until Market Street wants it to start, regardless of whom they may already have signed. I like Market Street, so it'll be a welcome addition!

muncien

Postby muncien » 31 Jan 2018 12:49

Kelley USA wrote:Good to hear! That means we won't see any construction for at least 14-16 months. As the anchor tenant this won't start until Market Street wants it to start, regardless of whom they may already have signed. I like Market Street, so it'll be a welcome addition!

Curious if the vacating Toys R Us changes their plans at all... They could probably get a sweet deal on that space.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 31 Jan 2018 16:41

^ I thought about that too... If I'm Market Street though I would prefer to anchor a new development and be surrounded by higher quality tenants. I think they can create more of a destination within a brand new development. The Toys-R-Us shopping center is starting to have an outdated feel say for Mi Cocina and Fish City.

mwaskow

Postby mwaskow » 01 Feb 2018 00:57

I used to live over here near MacArthur and 635 and have to agree the Toys R Us shopping center feels dated. The Mi Cocina there is probably the least luxurious restaurant they have, and I have been to at least 5 other locations (Richardson, West Plano, Preston & Forest, West Village, Far North Dallas, The Star in Frisco, and more). They are surrounded by cheap cell phone stores and nail salons. This shopping center needs renovations badly if they want to keep Mi Cocina and Fish City Grill let alone attract Market Street.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 01 Feb 2018 08:50

Curious if the vacating Toys R Us changes their plans at all... They could probably get a sweet deal on that space.

It's also very expensive to turn a toy store into a grocery store. The infra is all wrong. The one in Plano sat empty for 10 years before it became a car dealership. These types of stores are only set up for other big box retailers. This is to say I don't have high hopes for the Toys R Us stores being vacated. I see them turning into seasonal Halloween stores and not much else.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 01 Feb 2018 12:11

That Toys/Babies R Us actually started out as an Albertsons years ago.

muncien

Postby muncien » 01 Feb 2018 12:36

jrd1964 wrote:That Toys/Babies R Us actually started out as an Albertsons years ago.

Exactly... That's why I was thinking it may come into play.

Personally, Id prefer a full redo of the center and have Market Street as the anchor of the new development. That said, what they are planning doesn't look different at all then what is at the Toys R Us development. IMO, they're both a bit backward thinking. Aesthetics would be the only difference.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 01 Feb 2018 20:45

A bit that just popped-up on my screen a little while ago: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... apartments

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Feb 2018 09:16

^ I feel much better about the project after hearing more about it. Would still like to see some renderings though. Sounds like it will be a quality development with just the 1 apartment complex and still remaining space for office. I'm glad the city has requested and received a full service hotel. My assumption is that it will be a Sandman Hotel or Sutton Place which is part of the Sandman brand.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 02 Feb 2018 10:15

was an Albertsons before

It was probably abandoned because the infra was shot vs the sales/rent, so repairing is as expensive as building new.