Ferris Misc. Developments

Addison

Ferris Misc. Developments

Postby Addison » 21 Apr 2021 17:05

I didn't see a thread or post about this project.

Big Ellis County development could bring thousands of new homes

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... new-homes/

A huge residential development in the works just south of Dallas could bring thousands of new homes to the area.

The 5,200-acre Woodstone development is planned on Interstate 45 in the north Ellis County town of Ferris.

Located about 20 miles south of Dallas, Ferris has long been known as the "brick capital of the nation" because the area was once home to a large number of brick plants.

The town of about 3,000 is just south of booming industrial and distribution centers that employ thousands of workers in southern Dallas County.

"It's the same distance to downtown Ferris from downtown Dallas as it is to downtown Plano," said Corey Ford of Tommy Ford Construction, which is working, on the big housing development. "If everything goes smoothly, we hope to start construction before the end of the year."

Ford said the first 71-acre portion of the Woodstone community will include buildings lots for homes and commercial sites on I-45.

DPatel304

Re: Ferris Misc. Developments

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Apr 2021 12:13

Strangely, I'm okay with sprawl occurring to the south. I feel like it helps 'pull' the center of DFW back towards Downtown. At the moment, with all the sprawl happening up north, it feels more like the Addison and airport are the 'center' of DFW, and Downtown is more south. Of course, maybe I just feel that way because of my bias growing up in Plano.

As noted in the article, this is about as far out as Plano is, so it's not ridiculously far like Prosper (and wherever else people are sprawling to up north).

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 23 Apr 2021 12:42

DPatel304 wrote:Strangely, I'm okay with sprawl occurring to the south. I feel like it helps 'pull' the center of DFW back towards Downtown. At the moment, with all the sprawl happening up north, it feels more like the Addison and airport are the 'center' of DFW, and Downtown is more south. Of course, maybe I just feel that way because of my bias growing up in Plano.

As noted in the article, this is about as far out as Plano is, so it's not ridiculously far like Prosper (and wherever else people are sprawling to up north).

Wow I made a nearly identical post in the Midlothian thread :lol: We must be tuned to the same frequency today. I agree though. Sprawl sucks, but if it's going to happen I would rather it be redirected south and recenter downtown Dallas. Plano is holding a lot of sway right now, but housing costs and their resistance to density might alter the course for families looking to build new homes as cities surrounding Plano will feel the rising cost tide.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Apr 2021 13:22

:lol: Hilarious, I just read your post in the other thread!

Addison

Postby Addison » 23 Apr 2021 14:35

DPatel304 wrote:Strangely, I'm okay with sprawl occurring to the south. I feel like it helps 'pull' the center of DFW back towards Downtown. At the moment, with all the sprawl happening up north, it feels more like the Addison and airport are the 'center' of DFW, and Downtown is more south. Of course, maybe I just feel that way because of my bias growing up in Plano.

Agreed 100%.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 03 May 2021 20:32

So okay, a lot of musings here and there as to whether Legacy/Frisco could be linked to A-Train commuter rail stations and central job centers by a transit line. But are there opportunities to get ahead of sprawl and plan for that kind of transit spine to structure urban growth in this southward direction? When people don't have to be in their cars to get there in the first place, then they don't form a built-in "user base" for endless leapfrog pad site land development.

Quite apart from natural and aesthetic preference, the suburban subdivision political and financial arrangement can't produce enough tax revenues to cover the costs of replacing its own infrastructure in most cases, in the future when that has to happen. But as long as there's nothing binding the initial speculators or homeowners to those eventual obligations, it's an enticing investment play.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 04 May 2021 09:11

The DART 2045 plan has a connection to Legacy, and I'd not be surprised if the Dallas movers and shakers pushed the Silver Line construction so hard so they could build that spur next. It's actually relatively well positioned between Legacy and Nebraska Furniture Mart, so it could serve both, but Legacy would need a bus line or something since it's a bit closer to NFM.

I'm actually agnostic about houses built anywhere, so yay Ferris and south Dallas growing.