Plano: TI Campus Conversion

Tnexster

Plano: TI Campus Conversion

Postby Tnexster » 07 Nov 2016 12:16

Can Plano campus become 'urban village'? Project would include retail, hotel, apartments

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... esidential

California developers who are spending more than $100 million to revamp the former Texas Instruments campus in Plano plan to bring new housing, retail and hotel space to the project.

And one of the area's largest apartment builders is joining the effort.
Los Angeles developer Regent Properties is already gutting and rebuilding four large office buildings in the 84-acre former high-tech complex near the southeast corner of U.S. Highway 75 and Legacy Drive.

Now Regent Properties is teaming with developer Trammell Crow Residential and seeking city approval to build an "urban village" with apartments, retail, restaurants and a boutique hotel on the west side of U.S. 75, plans filed with the city of Plano show.

DPatel304

Re: Plano: TI Campus Conversion

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Nov 2016 12:56

I had no idea this is the site of the old TI Campus, and I grew up around here.

I'm glad to hear older buildings aren't going to waste, and I'm also looking forward to more development in Plano along 75. I really thought the Collin Creek Mall was going to be next, but this site works for me as well.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 08 Nov 2016 15:19

This place isn't really going to be much of an 'urban village'. The whole site is going to be oriented towards the highway. Most of the parking lots are going to remain as parking lots except for new two parking garages that are adjacent to the single-family housing across Chase Oaks Blvd - creating a great view out their backyards! The new multi-family will go on currently undeveloped grass to the south east- next to the US75 and adjacent to nothing. The residents will have to cross a new huge surface parking lot to get to backside of the Ranch 99 grocery store to the south - so it's not really walkable to anywhere else.

In short, this is about the laziest design of reusing the existing buildings one could come up with.

If the city tells them to redesign it and put the multifamily to the east along Chase Oaks, then you might sort of create a neighborhood with walkable access to the Ranch 99 grocery store to the south and to the strip center and Asian grocery to the north. Finally some pedestrian improvements to the north would make it bikeable to the Cinemark Legacy Theatre across Legacy to the north.

If Plano does allow the design as presented, it will be the first multifamily housing along US75 in the city except for the trailer park.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Mar 2017 15:02

Developers are moving ahead with $300 million Plano mixed-use project

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... se-project

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 28 Mar 2017 21:25

The improvements they made to this plan are pretty solid, and an example of a good quality planning discussion. However I'm sort of surprised this passed -Plano has really shut down multi-family development in the past few months - hopefully Dallas will be able to pick up the slack.