Fairview: misc. developments

itsjrd1964

Fairview: misc. developments

Postby itsjrd1964 » 17 Sep 2019 19:41

Billingsley Co. plans major mixed use development on U.S. 75 in Fairview

It will be on 242 acres, off the SE corner of US 75/TX 121.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -fairview/

texasstar

Re: Fairview: misc. developments

Postby texasstar » 19 Sep 2019 12:57

Fairview sounds like a made-up place.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 19 Sep 2019 13:33

More parts of the Metro that I could care less about visiting and seeing the same things found in every suburban mixed-use development. My Dallitude is showing...
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 19 Sep 2019 18:06

cowboyeagle05 wrote:More parts of the Metro that I could care less about visiting and seeing the same things found in every suburban mixed-use development. My Dallitude is showing...

Standard trite internet city chat reaction #1 (just edging out TL;DR by a nose) is well how dare you criticize if you simultaneously have the nerve not to put in the same amount of your personal wealth to develop a better building and streetscape here than they are investing.

But since developers are typically too busy to do like the Whole Foods CEO who sat in an office looking through online forums, there's zero chance that the person being put in their place was or will be in a position to build major new urban and suburban areas to begin with.

So it's to shut down further questions of a particular project by playing like 100% of negative criticism is hypocritical.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 23 Sep 2019 09:49

So it's to shut down further questions of a particular project by playing like 100% of negative criticism is hypocritical.

I think the criticism of the original Fairview TownCenter development (edge of 75 and south of Stacy) is deserved. It was poorly designed to 'walkable' but still incredibly car-centric, which means that they put crosswalks in every which direction and small parking lots in front and big parking lots farther out. The mixing of uses is really poor and the crosswalks everywhere mean that there are people and cars coming in every direction. The mixes are so bad that it's easier to drive to each one, which leads to: I have been nearly run over so many times there I stopped going. I've never felt that in a standard strip mall or a standard mixed-use development. The mall and WholeFoods side (north of Stacy) is fine -it's more like a standard strip mall, but it still fights the development to the south for traffic and customers.

Not only that, the city of Fairview and Allen did them no favors with the unused train track lowering the number of street crossings, which mean Stacy Road and 75, with the outlet mall on one side and this place on the other, is one of the busiest roads in DFW even though not that many people live around there. And then the rest of the roads around are looping and all dead-end in random places, creating bottlenecks. They have actually added signage in the past year to point you towards other major streets around the grid is so bad - it helps.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Sep 2019 11:11

This was the same developer that built Hillside Village in Cedar Hill with almost the exact same design with a few subtle differences mainly because of retailers that would go to Fairview but not south of I-30. The flaws have helped keep Hillside developing into something special.