Celina: misc. developments

itsjrd1964

Celina: misc. developments

Postby itsjrd1964 » 09 Mar 2019 17:52

$1 billion Collin County community is growing with land purchase

Mustang Lakes, a development east of Preston Road, has decided to add on more than 500 acres to the land it already holds. This will give the development room for upwards of 3000 homesites. According to the development's website, there are 8 homebuilders up there now. Already there is an amenity center with a 20-acre park space. The land used to be part of a ranch/farm that was owned by past Dallas mayor Robert Folsom.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... d-purchase
https://mustanglakes.com

Tnexster

Re: Celina: misc. developments

Postby Tnexster » 08 Apr 2021 13:11

This North Texas city projects a population jump from 30,000 to 160,000 in 10 years

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... rowth.html

The Collin County city of Celina is booming, both in terms of rooftops and residents.

Residential building permits were up 50 percent last year and they’re pacing to jump even more this year as the city tries to surpass the much larger city of Frisco in single-family home growth.

Celina’s population of about 30,000 has tripled in the past four years and is expected to hit about 160,000 people by the end of the decade.

Addison

Postby Addison » 21 Jun 2021 21:39

Sprawl baby! SPRAWL!!! :lol: :twisted:

Celina surpasses Frisco in building permits, positions itself for expansion

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2021/06/21/celina-surpasses-frisco-in-building-permits-positions-itself-for-expansion/

It’s no secret that cities such as Frisco and McKinney are driving Collin County’s rapid population growth. But further north, Celina is contending for the county’s largest expansion.

With a population of just 28,000, Celina has surpassed neighboring cities in residential building permits, City Manager Jason Laumer said in a news release. During its last cycle that ended May 31, the city issued 1,352 residential permits, compared with Frisco’s 1,283 permits.

Celina, which is located in both Collin and Denton counties, has a maximum buildout population of approximately 350,000, according to the city.

“The City of Celina is growing at a pace beyond what anyone would have expected,” Laumer said. “While we welcome this growth, this city must grow in a way that allows us to maintain our longstanding culture.”

Since January, developments featuring thousands of houses and apartments have been announced in the city. Builders Beazer Homes and D.R. Horton plan to construct 440 houses in the Chalk Hill neighborhood, and a 700-acre purchase last month is set to bring more than 2,000 homes to the city’s downtown area.

Last Wednesday, a developer announced it acquired almost 24 acres at Legacy Drive and Frontier Parkway with plans to build over 500 apartments on the property.

Addison

Postby Addison » 06 Jul 2021 10:23

Celina has to deal with the growth that’s coming

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/edit ... ts-coming/

Celina, a town of 28,000 that’s closer to the Oklahoma border than to downtown Dallas, has all of that ahead of it. Last week brought news that Celina is starting its progression through those rings. The town officially surpassed Frisco, the boomtown to its south, in residential building permits, according to a city news release.

The mistake exurbs often make is to embrace policies designed to fend off growth and density, rather than anticipating growth and building a smart, diverse, sustainable city to accept it. Celina seems to be taking the latter approach.

“We believe that growth is inevitable,” Celina City Manager Jason Laumer told us. “Some of our citizens miss seeing farmland and hate to see it developed, but property owners have the right to develop their land.”

Laumer said his staff has been hard at work on forward-looking plans for residential development, industrial zones and public transit, some of which may be more than 20 years away. The city has been involved in a recent transit study with the North Central Texas Council of Governments and hired an engineer to determine where to build a Celina transit station, likely to be the last stop on a train line. Laumer spoke of automated buses, fiber-optic broadband and other futuristic efforts to get ahead of growth.

Celina will likely never deal with hub-city issues. City leaders estimate its maximum build-out population at 350,000. But Celina, like other exurbs, can learn from the experiences of its neighbors to the south. And it should. As a region, the farther out we build, the better we should be at it.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 06 Jul 2021 13:04

That is a surprisingly very forward-looking mindset for an exurb. I guess it will all depend on if the residents warm up to the idea. If they plan it right they could be the modern day equivalent of what Denison was during the heyday of the interurban railway. A moderately thriving end-of-the-line destination.

The big question is what that route would look like. A Celina-Legacy line with stops through Frisco makes sense, but you have to wonder how it would connect to the greater Dallas rail lines (if they even want it to). Unless DART someday makes a line that follows the DNT, either the Carrollton station or the Silver Line Addison station make the most sense I guess? It keeps the airport one transfer away. Downtown Carrollton serving as the intersection for three rail lines is such an insane thing to visualize that I almost want to see it happen just to see how they would make it work.

But I could also see a completely isolated Celina-Legacy vanity line being a thing.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 06 Jul 2021 14:08

THRILLHO wrote:That is a surprisingly very forward-looking mindset for an exurb. I guess it will all depend on if the residents warm up to the idea. If they plan it right they could be the modern day equivalent of what Denison was during the heyday of the interurban railway. A moderately thriving end-of-the-line destination.

The big question is what that route would look like. A Celina-Legacy line with stops through Frisco makes sense, but you have to wonder how it would connect to the greater Dallas rail lines (if they even want it to). Unless DART someday makes a line that follows the DNT, either the Carrollton station or the Silver Line Addison station make the most sense I guess? It keeps the airport one transfer away. Downtown Carrollton serving as the intersection for three rail lines is such an insane thing to visualize that I almost want to see it happen just to see how they would make it work.

But I could also see a completely isolated Celina-Legacy vanity line being a thing.

I think a DNT-adjacent DART line is inevitable at this point. How close will it be? Not sure, but I think eventually, DART will no longer be able to ignore the corridor, and NTTA will either stop lobbying against it or their efforts will fall short. I think that the growth all the way up the DNT corridor is already too great to ignore, and West Plano & Frisco just cement that. As Midtown becomes a reality over time, that'll just add yet another reason for a Downtown to Galleria/Midtown to Legacy line, and at that point, Fields could be built out (or significantly underway) in Frisco.
Anyways, agreed, it is nice to see Celina at least talking about this. Will it ever happen? Who knows. But will NIMBYs' heads explode each time rail or transit is discussed? Like the 4th of July.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 06 Jul 2021 14:35

Honestly I think the biggest hurdle to a DNT-adjacent line is the Highland Park folks. That line would have to be built hovering over the tollway for a good stretch of it which would be hella expensive--yet cheaper than tunneling or using eminent domain on some of the most expensive property in DFW.
The alternative I guess is to simply go around it. Have a line branch off from Lovers Lane and follow 12 until it hits the DNT and go north.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 07 Jul 2021 09:12

There is already a railine that goes to Celina - it branches at the current SilverLine route in Richardson/North Dallas area and goes north -closer to Nebraska Furniture Mart than Legacy, but sort of in the middle of the two. The 2040 SilverLine plan (used to be indefinite since SilverLine was 2040) shows a junction running north along that line.

Addison

Postby Addison » 07 Jul 2021 09:53

The_Overdog wrote:There is already a railine that goes to Celina - it branches at the current SilverLine route in Richardson/North Dallas area and goes north -closer to Nebraska Furniture Mart than Legacy, but sort of in the middle of the two. The 2040 SilverLine plan (used to be indefinite since SilverLine was 2040) shows a junction running north along that line.

The problem with that line is that it doesn't go to downtown, which should be the goal for N-S routes that serve the northern suburbs.

BTW, do you mean it branches out in Carrollton? I'm not able to trace the branch in Richardson.

Addison

Postby Addison » 04 Aug 2021 21:33

Fast-Growing Celina Stepping Up The Pace With Massive New Master-Planned Development

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-worth/ ... ent-109774

The rapidly expanding community of Celina will see its growth supercharged with a new 3,200-acre mixed-use master-planned development set to boost the city’s population by more than a third in one swoop.

Centurion American Development Group Tuesday announced plans for Legacy Hills, its largest-ever master-planned community, bringing more than 11,000 new residences, 100 acres of commercial development, land for new parks, schools and emergency services, and an array of amenities to the city of about 30,000.

Legacy Hills, which is slated to kick off construction late this year, is situated near the intersection of Legacy Drive and Celina Parkway in North Collin County and will offer direct access to the Dallas North Tollway extension, now under construction. The development will include 7,000 single-family homes, 4,100 multifamily units, a 27-acre sports park, two 12-acre parcels for future Celina Independent School District schools, and two 7-acre tracts for police and fire stations.

The community will also feature seven amenity centers, each with a community swimming pool and playscape area, a network of walking trails, and a championship golf course with clubhouse, driving range, putting green and short game...

Addison

Postby Addison » 04 Aug 2021 21:35

Washington, D.C., developer breaks ground on Celina apartment community

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... community/

Along with the thousands of new single-family homes on the way in Celina, developers are also beginning construction of a new apartment community.

Developer J Street Cos. has broken ground on a 240-unit Celina rental community called One Preston Station.

The project is being built on Celina’s south side on Oklahoma Drive.

Plans call for apartments ranging from 650 square feet to 1,400 square feet. And the community will have a swimming pool with cabanas, a clubhouse, a dog park, and walking and biking trails.

“It was very important to us that One Preston Station keep the charm and character of Celina while incorporating modern finishes, Class A amenities and sustainable features that will serve its residents for years to come,” Stan Ferenc, principal for J Street Cos., said in a statement.

Sage Architects designed One Preston Station with a leasing center that is patterned after a 1950s service station, complete with faux gas pumps.

The apartment project is one of two new rental communities being built in Celina, which has been one of North Texas’ top single-family home sales markets...

Addison

Postby Addison » 17 Aug 2021 11:19

New $120M hospital coming to Dallas suburb with off-the-charts growth

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/inno ... -hospital/

The booming Dallas suburb of Celina is poised to get its first hospital.

The $120 million, 85,000-square-foot Celina Regional Medical Center is planned for a 13-acre site at the northeast corner of Dallas Parkway and Punk Carter Parkway. On August 10, the Celina City Council unanimously approved a special-use permit for the hospital, which is set to employ 180 people. No construction timetable was available for the project.

Currently, the closest hospitals to Celina are in Frisco and McKinney. The town is about 40 miles north of Dallas...

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 17 Sep 2021 12:16

Serene new $1.5B lakeside community coasts into affluent Dallas suburb

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/real ... na-mosaic/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 16 Jan 2022 12:28

Jerry Jones purchases 88 acres west of Celina near future Dallas North Tollway extension

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... elina.html

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 07 Apr 2023 15:10

The Crossing at Moore Farm, a mixed-use development at Preston/Ownsby Pkwy., will have apartments and retail on 77 acres. The retail portion (Lowe's, an unnamed fitness center, as well as restaurants (Chick-fil-A, Chipotle, and Panda Express were named)) is set for completion in the fall of next year, while the apartments won't begin construction until October of next year.

Meanwhile, across the street, a Costco is due to go in. News of it was announced several months ago, but no construction/opening timeline was included.

https://starlocalmedia.com/celinarecord ... ee4d4.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... -farm.html

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 10 May 2023 21:27

Celina is about 40 miles north of DTD but Waxahachie is almost 31 miles south, so on this particular cross-section the lopsided development pattern is not so far from parity anymore.

Addison

Postby Addison » 11 May 2023 09:22

I45Tex wrote:Celina is about 40 miles north of DTD but Waxahachie is almost 31 miles south, so on this particular cross-section the lopsided development pattern is not so far from parity anymore.

The difference is, there's a *TON* of undeveloped/rural land between Desoto and Waxahache, whereas it's completely built out all the way to Celina at this point.
Last edited by Addison on 11 May 2023 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 11 May 2023 10:13

Addison wrote:
I45Tex wrote:Celina is about 40 miles north of DTD but Waxahachie is almost 31 miles south, so on this particular cross-section the lopsided development pattern is not so far from parity anymore.

The difference is, there's a *TON* of undeveloped/rura land between Desoto and Waxahache, whereas it's completely built out all the way to Celina at this point.

Indeed. Not to mention, 9 additional miles is still a pretty significant difference even if the areas were similarly developed. Still a long way from parity.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 12 May 2023 07:46

I am not trying to argue your point, but if you look at satellite views there is more southward contiguity than meets the driver's eye

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 12 May 2023 07:49

There is a ton between Waxahachie and Palmer (over on I-45) but, in my estimation at least, not nearly as much between Waxahachie and Red Oak and the ever popular JWY:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Way ... al_Airport

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 13 May 2023 07:38

I45Tex wrote:There is a ton

Ton of forested, creeked, or grazing land, not trying to say that it necessarily needs to change nor saying that it's all wasted land "for the metro" at present