Richardson: Eiland Coffee Roasters

exelone31

Richardson: Eiland Coffee Roasters

Postby exelone31 » 28 Jan 2019 11:41

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaura ... e-11522598

If anyone is familiar with Central Expressway up in Richardson, you've probably driven by the site of the former Pancho's Mexican Buffet several times. The building has sat vacant for years, and years, and years. I'd be curious to hear the forum's take on this vote/subject, as it's got me pretty upset. On the surface level, it sounds like the majority of the City Council (shoutout to Mabel Simpson for being a lonely voice of reason) is being strong-armed by the Richardson Food Park folks into voting down a positive development.

Anyway, what does everyone think about this? Would a drive-thru coffee shop be a giant nuisance to the community? Note that there is a drive-thru Starbucks less than one mile north of this location, at a significantly busier intersection.

The_Overdog

Re: Richardson: Eiland Coffee Roasters

Postby The_Overdog » 28 Jan 2019 12:03

I've heard about this - the deal is this restaurant park and the city have worked hard to restrict drive-thrus from this area (working on the downtown plan for about the last 5 years), and now a coffee business wants to put one back in. I side with the city. The area that restricts drive-thrus is really small, I'm sure they can find a place nearby.

Since it's their roasting headquarters too, I think they would be fine without a drive-thru. The Starbucks in my neighborhood doesn't have one, and most strip center coffee shops don't either.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Jan 2019 12:34

Interesting that the city is opposing this, as it does look like it's not super close to Main St. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they are against a drive-thru here, but, when I heard about the revival of Downtown Richardson, I just assumed that it would mainly involve revitalizing the immediate area around Main St and not much more, but it sounds like perhaps they have much bigger and grander vision?

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 28 Jan 2019 14:54

One thing of interest to add, I drove by yesterday and demolition was in progress of the old Pancho's building.

I'm wondering if Eiland is looking to clear out the space to sell it, or perhaps wipe it clean and come back to the city with a new approach.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 29 Jan 2019 13:23

I read through the planning commission materials, and I'm concerned about the critical thinking skills of the Richardson homeowners who wrote to oppose- their only reasoning for opposing the Eiland development was to regurgitate the existing zoning restrictions - Newsflash- That's why it went to the planning commission- The property owner was asking for a variance from those restrictions! And given that so much of the new development is in the northern half of the city, I don't think it's prudent to shut down these sort of things in the southern portion over zoning minutiae from a master plan that's already out the window (the construction of RRP precludes whatever mixed-use developments they'd planned for that area)

Also it's odd that the Restaurant Park is so concerned about protecting us from Drive-thrus, considering that they got a substantial setback variance (setbacks up to 70 feet instead of the 10-foot build-to required by the planning district) to build what is basically a car-oriented strip mall (I love to go eat there, and appreciate that it's not a hooker hotel anymore, but let's be realistic about what it is).